It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Rosary

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2023 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Probably everyone in America has heard of the rosary but many don't know what it is.

The Rosary is a set of prayers and meditations on 20 'mysteries' in the life of Jesus and Mary. A set of beads (NOT a necklace) is used to keep track of the prayers and meditations. Catholic lore says that it began in 1221 when the Virgin Mary appeared to Saint Dominic and told him to teach it to the faithful in order to fight heresy. Saint Dominic went on to found the Dominican order within the Catholic Church.

It opens with the creed which is really like a statement of what you believe in. Then the main prayers are the 'Lords Prayer' or "Our Father", the 'Hail Mary', and the 'Glory Be'. The prayers, scriptural in origin, and are prayed on each bead. Each of the 20 mysteries has one 'Our Father', ten 'Hail Marys', and one 'Glory Be'. The prayers are said as the person meditates on the mystery.

The 'Lords Prayer' or 'Our Father', said to be the words of Christ when asked how we should pray to the Father - Our Father Who art in Heaven, hallowed be Thy name. Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done, on Earth as it is in Heaven. Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil. Amen

The 'Hail Mary', taken from scripture, it is the Angels greeting to Mary when she became pregnant with Jesus; it is an acknowledgement that she is the Mother of God (Jesus being God); and it is a request for her to pray for us which scripture says we are all to pray for each other. - Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with you. Blessed art thou among women and blessed is the fruit of your womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death, Amen.

The Glory Be, gives glory to God which is also scriptural - Glory be to the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end, Amen.

There are four sets of five mysteries. Most of the mysteries are scriptural. A few are from sacred tradition.

The Joyful Mysteries - The Annunciation; the Visitation; the Birth of Jesus; the Presentation in the Temple; the Finding of the Child Jesus in the Temple

The Luminous Mysteries - The Baptism of Jesus; the Wedding at Cana; the Proclamation of the Gospel; the Transfiguration; the Eucharist.

The Sorrowful Mysteries - The Agony in the Garden; the Scourging at the Pillar; the Crowning of Thorns; the Carrying of the Cross; the Crucifixion.

The Glorious Mysteries - The Resurrection; the Ascension; the Descent of the Holy Spirit; the Assumption of Mary into Heaven; the Crowning of Mary Queen of Heaven and Earth.

At the end of the Rosary the 'Hail Holy Queen' is said - Hail Holy Queen, Mother of Mercy, our life, our sweetness and our hope. To thee do we cry, poor banished children of Eve. To thee do we send our signs mourning and weeping in this vale of tears. Turn then, O most gracious advocate, thy eyes of mercy toward us. And after this our exile, show unto us the blessed fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, Pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death. Amen.

So that is what the rosary is. It's a prayerful meditation on the lives of Jesus and Mary, with prayers going to Jesus via intercession of Mary. Everything is scriptural in nature with some sacred tradition at the end. It started 800 years ago but is still used in many Catholic churches and in Catholic homes.
edit on 8/29/2023 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2023 @ 03:27 PM
link   
I have always found the Rosary to be a calming thing to do.
Formatted prayer is a comfort to me.

Thanks for posting!

posted on Aug, 29 2023 @ 03:57 PM
link   
I was really enjoying the post until the "glorious mysteries" thing!
Samuel 2:2 "There is none holy like the LORD:
For there is none besides you;
There is no rock like our God."
Mark 10:18 But Jesus said to him, “Why do you call Me good? No one is good except God alone."

Could you please site scripture and verse for either the assumption of Mary or her coronation?

a reply to: FlyersFan

posted on Aug, 29 2023 @ 04:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: amicusbrief
Could you please site scripture and verse for either the assumption of Mary or her coronation?

Those are the two that are based on sacred tradition.
In the opening I said that most was scriptural and then there was sacred tradition at the end.
Those are the two at the end.

posted on Aug, 29 2023 @ 05:12 PM
link   
The rosary is Pagan.

posted on Aug, 29 2023 @ 05:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: DeathSlayer
The rosary is Pagan.
RMC Roman Catholic doctrines and traditions are pagan and demonic

posted on Aug, 29 2023 @ 05:16 PM
link   

The rosary is Pagan

No, it's not.
But you are welcome to think so.

posted on Aug, 29 2023 @ 05:16 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Aug, 29 2023 @ 05:37 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 29 2023 @ 05:38 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 29 2023 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Not really a big Catholic Church fan either, grew up in it.
Some amazing individual christians in the church, just not a big fan of the church structure and hierarchy
Seemed we just learned to recite words to make others happy, not really pray.
Protestant church taught me that prayer wasn’t repetitive but a conversation, very hard to pray, hold a conversation

“And when you pray, do not babble like the heathen, since they think that they will be heard because of their many words.
ESV
“And when you pray, do not heap up empty phrases as the Gentiles do, for they think that they will be heard for their many words. Mather 6/7

So yeah, not for me and the reason why.

posted on Aug, 29 2023 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Similar with Hare Krishna ... then pop into the temple: "Have you chanted 16 rounds today"?

Yeah, but I think that's the highest standard.

We all fall short of the glory of God.

As long as you're trying.

posted on Aug, 29 2023 @ 06:48 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 29 2023 @ 08:56 PM
link   
I think most of those responding are missing the point of your post about the Rosary. Thank you for the post. Peace be with you. a reply to: FlyersFan

posted on Aug, 30 2023 @ 06:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

As you know, the Catholic church has formal and informal prayers and meditations. Both. The Rosary is formal prayer and informal meditation on the mysteries of the life of Jesus and Mary. Not everyone likes meditation. I'm glad you are happy with your relationship with God.

posted on Aug, 30 2023 @ 06:13 AM
link   
a reply to: TacoLoco75

Thank you. The post isn't to convert anyone or to get anyone to pray the rosary, although if they decide they think it would be good for them to do so that's fine. The purpose is simply to educate people on what it is. Lots of people think the rosary is just a necklace or a bunch of 'Hail Mary's'. It is not either.

posted on Aug, 30 2023 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Hail Mary, full of grace.

May she lead us to the wounds of Yeshua, that our wounds may be healed.

I love our divine Mother, vessel of Christ.

Thanks for posting.

posted on Aug, 30 2023 @ 06:25 PM
link   

I wouldn’t say I was happy
Anyway
one of few grievances growing up in catholic education, they didn’t teach me to put personality, individuality and meaning into prayer
It was all just repetition, parroting and babble
I know some Catholics who do meditate on the rosary, it’s meaning to them and what they are saying
Just thought it was interesting
And of course, that Mary thing, not for me

And no, didn’t know there was formal and informal prayer

posted on Aug, 31 2023 @ 02:39 PM
link   

The rosary is Pagan.

Having read many of your posts about exorcism over the years, I'm surprised to see this.
edit on 31-8-2023 by Gandalf77 because: typo

new topics

top topics

join