It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My adventures of cycling Japan

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Jul, 15 2023 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Not too sure if I can post a link but it's probably easier if I did it shows that what I'm doing cycling here in Japan I'm on my 16th no 18th day of cycling I got a 1000 km gold right now which I'm at the 800 km right now and anyway go ahead and take some time and read the thread so please enjoy and just check in with the the link every now and then as always thanks a lot guys.
jref.com...

posted on Jul, 15 2023 @ 08:13 PM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

Near the finish, well done. Japan seems like a great place to tour. But heard free camping not so easy.

posted on Jul, 15 2023 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Have a good time!

posted on Jul, 15 2023 @ 09:11 PM
link   
a reply to: visitedbythem

Yeah thanks man if you're reading my post you noticed that I've been climbing while not climbing but pushing my bicycle up mountain after mountain after mountain 3 hours 4 hours at a time yeah that's what it is in the countryside but it's a good experience for me and something I'll never forget and the people are so cool yeah they have what they call the 88 Temple tour of Chicago I'm not doing the 88 tour of the temples but I come across them and if I feel like it I'll check one out but most likely they're mostly in the mountains and I got to go like two or three four kilometers and then up the hill and then about 500 stairs to see the temple itself.

posted on Jul, 15 2023 @ 09:12 PM
link   
a reply to: glend

Yeah I got about 200 more km to go I'm going to this River that's real famous here and coaching never spent a couple nights I understand I have to have two people to do it the canoeing so I probably can't do the canoeing but they have a bicycle route up and down the River and free camping too so it should be pretty exciting but yeah I've been wanting to bicycle for the last 18 days and then when I get back then I got to take a little rest and do some care of business and then I don't know I have two options I'm either going to go to Hokkaido or I'm going back down to Okinawa and then me out to Gina and possibly recalling the pineapple farms.

posted on Jul, 16 2023 @ 02:13 AM
link   

Sorry if you can't understand what I'm saying I'm not typing I'm using voice anyway I have two options but not options but tomorrow I don't know how many more I'll put it that way I'm free
I want to go to Hokkaido and I know it's going to be fairly cold in September by the time I get there.

There's a program here in Japan and many of you might be interested in it you can get a visa for working you can work on a farm and if I can possibly post the link I'll do it but it's called farm canvas.com and you can come here to Japan on that type of Visa I think it's I don't know how long it is I don't want to mislead you but you can work here the thing of it is you have to pay your own expenses to go to the destination to the farm so you going to have to have money you're going to have to bicycle and then you work on the farm there there's kind of like two programs one at the farmer they all pay you they'll pay you 1,000 yen or about $10 an hour and some Farmers don't charge it for food and for housing other farmers will charge you for housing and food showing you really need to know all this up front my other I want to go to Hokkaido but the pharmacy for corn is definitely going to be over with by the time I get there I'm quite sure anyway and I don't know what they planned in September maybe garlic but I might go to Okinawa and then not working out itself but there's a few Islands over there that grow pineapples and sugar cane and I might work the fields so anyway that is pretty much my plan yeah just enjoy life at the age of 70 I mean we only live one time people and when you smell the flowers in the morning and see the rainbows the seven colors of rainbow and the spring Miss of the rain life is so beautiful it can be so you we can't grab it but at least we can try to touch it with our emotions.

posted on Jul, 16 2023 @ 02:40 AM
link   
I am curious about a post you made on June 9th. You were talking about a lock someone gave you for free and mentioned you had a good one from Kmart. Is there still Kmart in Japan, or did you purchase at Kmart years prior and had it in storage?

posted on Jul, 16 2023 @ 03:05 AM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

Yeah sorry I'm using voicemail and sometimes it doesn't make sense but there's no Kmart where I am.
Can you push me a link to what you're referring to I'd like to clarify it because it could be kind of confusion for anyone who reads it including me.

posted on Jul, 16 2023 @ 03:33 AM
link   

It is one page one, you had pictures. tokyocycle.com...
Specifically this line:

Heavy duty lock. Not sure of the retail value, but its nice. Although I bought a nice lock a Kmart (no key) I'll be using the no key for now.

You had me going down nostalgia lane, we lost the last Kmart in this city like before the Scamdemic. So I was just thinking it was cool you still may have had them somehow, but then I was thinking it was probably just one you had in storage. I figure, hey may as well ask you directly.

What store did you mean to say?? Also, thats a month old so you probably won't be able to edit that post.

posted on Jul, 16 2023 @ 06:32 AM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

Oh okay yeah I bought that nice really lock at Kmart back in Illinois I don't know if you're familiar with the quad cities.
But I was visiting back home I don't know maybe 10 years ago something like that and I bought a lock and I bought a new bike at Kmart and then back then the bikes were only like $89 for an all-terrain bike but I kept the locks All these years anyway and I use it on my bike but yeah I bought the bike the the luck at Kmart it's good luck.
I think they're closing many of the Kmarts in the quad cities quad cities is like East Moline Moline Illinois Davenport Iowa area.

If I eventually get back to America I'll be cycling all across America yeah it's a lot of fun you pick up you pick up that bicycle and you get your maintenance bag ready and get your rain cold and your tent and and just jam along the highway and and you meet a lot of nice people at least you're in Japan I I've met a lot of nice people we have what they call the 88 Temple tour and I have I'll post a picture of what it is just in Japanese but when people help you you give him this and you give him your name and and tell him something special on it like thank you very much for your kindness I'll do that tomorrow so if you're following up on my post on the the Japanese site yeah okay man thanks for following up man appreciate it that's a Long blog man I mean it's like I don't know 30 pages long now with nearly 50,000 views I don't know but anyway just very simple I just post my travels of Japan that's it nothing special.

posted on Jul, 16 2023 @ 10:24 AM
link   
I have worked with a few cyclists over the decades MM , from guys who did it for competitions and others for fun , One guy I knew cycled 16 miles to work in the morning on a hard road with lots of up and downs ,did a hard 8 + hours work on building sites then cycled home 16 miles , Then after he had some dinner him and his wife would go out cycling in the evening and at weekends it was not unusual to hear about them cycle 200 plus miles all for fun , he died of a heart attack in his mid 50s .

The other guys who were in to the competitive side of cycling would amaze me with the amount of miles they could cycles in a day and the speed they could get from point A to B .

They also died MM bar one and I have not seen him about in a while since covid started , it must take a massive strain on the body cycling competitively

posted on Jul, 16 2023 @ 04:19 PM
link   
a reply to: stonerwilliam

Actually I'm noted for being called turtle speed cyclists and it's quite true I'm not in any competition or trying to like I can do it you know better than you type thing.
I'm 70 years old and I just cruise at between 7 km to 14 km an hour which is very low but I'm actually all packed up with camping gear when I tore Japan.
I've been cycling well actually since the child but all my transportation is either walking or cycling really don't have no other choice actually.
The thing about cycling is that your knees can can really bother you later on in life actually doesn't even have to be later on in life can be at a younger age also I actually have any problem I've had this shots going into my leg some kind of acid whatever it's called and then I fell off my bike the other day hit my bad knee and it's still bruised and I'm limping like all that but luckily I can continue my tour it's not really bothering me when I'm cycling I hope I didn't damage any worse than it was but anyway yeah cycling you have to pace yourself and one thing that I stay away from is all these super hyper healthy drinks out there the best for me anyway is water yeah the water pure water here in Japan everywhere they say natural spring water of course it's natural spring water comes from the earth down and passes the mountains and gets all the nutrients from the leaves and whatever else is out there but the water is the best I'm not into the sports drinks in the I don't know anything about them that's that's mostly because I fear it because actually I ran out of water and the place that I stopped at the fruit and vegetable stand only had a sport drink and I mean for I never really buy it but I had no other choice and so I drank it in the first three swigs were like man this is good stuff taste really good but then after sitting down for a couple of minutes I realized I'm more thirsty yeah it actually makes you more thirsty so I tried to limit my intake of it and got back to drinking water now anyway thanks for following me thanks a lot.
Oh I'd like to say that I I really don't eat steak I'm going to say I never eat steak and also it's very important as a cyclist to eat oily fish any type of fish from salmon to mackerel to sardines sardines is really the key to energy here in Japan they have eel and most of the ill is important from China so I don't eat it in Japanese you will run you about over $20 I forget it so kind of sardines will run you less than $1.50 but sardines is a good energy thing to eat and I actually should start eating whole bread whole wheat bread but I eat bread in the morning gives you enough energy coffee obviously I have to go to convenience store to buy it but yeah I I've as you get older red meat the steaks in my opinion I would definitely try to drift away from eating red meat like most Americans do pork Ali pork maybe once every 40 days chicken unfortunately because it's cheap I'll eat it quite often beef here in Japan it's so expensive that I rarely buy it and I mean rarely buy it.

edit on 0700000017232023-07-16T16:23:17-05:00231707pm4 by musicismagic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2023 @ 06:19 PM
link   

I love walking MM most days when I worked I was doing 20 to 30 miles without blinking and regularly did 50 mile walks with my dog back in the day but for some reason after 8 to 10 miles on a bike i was exhausted swimming was exactly the same with me and it was not for the lack of trying , in the water I seem to turn into a brick ,cycling was the same I could never seem to get to what was average or adequate for some weird reason .

The guys I used to worK with amazed me with their stamina and miles they could cover yet I was as physically fit as them , I could never master taking my hands off handlebars for more than a second or two without crashing badly no matter what I tried ,yet I have great balance I regularly see youngsters zip past me on bicycles with their hands 8n their pockets or texting not even looking at the road ahead .

Swimming was exactly the same I had no problem going and jumping of the top board at a Olympic swimming pool or jumping in at the deep end and going for it even my gymnastics teacher in school threw up his hands and gave up saying he had never seen anything like this

I have the streamlining of a brick in water for some reason even though I am tall and slim but no matter what I tried over many years I got exhausted very easily and went no where ,

I just got to admit i am one of life's walkers , this is my local cycling area MM epicroadrides.com...

posted on Jul, 16 2023 @ 11:03 PM
link   

It got hot real quickly it's like 1:00 in the afternoon I had to find shade way too hot I don't know maybe 95°, it's 32 c whatever that is Fahrenheit but yeah I just got to kick back until it cools down a bit there's just no shade right now there's some clouds in the sky but it's not it's no good coverage now that's about it.

posted on Jul, 16 2023 @ 11:30 PM
link   
You guys can also follow me on this site also it's a little more longer way longer actually.
Adventurous Cyclist
Thread '"Adventurous Cyclist", the fun of cycling in Japan, my adventures' tokyocycle.com...
edit on 0700000010312023-07-16T23:31:10-05:00311007pm11 by musicismagic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2023 @ 05:57 AM
link   
Monday is July 17th the heat was terrible today like 95°, I'm in I had to seek shelter in the shade for about 3 hours yeah it's I'm not trying to prove anything to myself like I said I don't mind going up mountains pushing my bike in the shade but cycling and 95° weather during the afternoon forget it it's not for me I'm not 12 or 14 or 18 years old too hot anyway I decided to stay in a hotel tonight to recuperate I was able to find a nice hotel pretty cheap about $56 for one night with a pretty healthy breakfast that comes along with it Japanese style so tomorrow I'll start early hopefully 7:00 in the morning and see how many kilometers I can do I actually really got it on a day and a half more cycling to do and then I'll see what happens after that because I got to return for some important business okay guys as always thanks for following me and those two links of Tokyo cycling club and Japanese language site so both have different pictures on them but anyway thanks again guys.

posted on Jul, 17 2023 @ 07:18 AM
link   

I am 13 years younger than you MM and it would kill me to try half of what you get up to on that bicycle .

But I would gladly swap the heat for the 20 hours of rain and cold conditions of Sunday

posted on Jul, 17 2023 @ 09:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: stonerwilliam

I am 13 years younger than you MM and it would kill me to try half of what you get up to on that bicycle .

But I would gladly swap the heat for the 20 hours of rain and cold conditions of Sunday

Going to be another hot day again I ordered breakfast at the hotel but I don't know maybe I'll eat it maybe I won't starting at 7:00 in the morning when I possibly start at 5:00 in the morning maybe might be a better decision but I won't know until they wake up right now it's 11:30 at night anyway.

posted on Jul, 17 2023 @ 11:54 AM
link   

I was debating switching on my central heating when I woke at 5.30 am and it has hardly stopped raining since I woke up , I have been soaked to the skin 3 times last week in thunderstorms while out walking the dog since Thursday afternoon until Sunday evening we have had 6 inches of rain in my builders bucket outside .

I have not checked it today

posted on Jul, 17 2023 @ 04:47 PM
link   

How's today's July 18th Tuesday I actually stay in the hotel last night it was just too hot to cycle after actually after 1:00 cuz I stayed at the market under The canopy for two and a half hours anyway I left this morning at 8:45 and it's 7:00 right now a.m. that is and I've done not very good but 27 km since well I don't know 3 hours 3 hours but I've had to push my bike up four times appeals so I'm averaging about 10 km an hour.
I'm trying to get a minimum of 60 km in today the sun is out and it's going to be hot it's already 7:00 I'm sure it's 82° by now.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join