It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do people with IQs of 140 - 200 think?

page: 37
<< 34  35  36    38  39  40 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Ignignot

You may be intertested to watch a BBC programme in which they evolved the IQ test to make it a fairer playing field for people who learn in different ways: e.g. best through Verbal, Spatial, Aural or Visual methods. This made Statisticians, Bridge Players, Architects and Artists come out much more even.

I am not sure if it is still available on iPlayer (Probably not) but a Youtube search came up with the following URL:

YouTube BBC IQ Test assessment and update

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Just saw this thread pop up on the recent posts and thought i should make an observation.

That observation is.... A lot of people believe they have an IQ of 140 and above.

Source of graph

Either a lot of people are exaggerating their mental abilities or ATS is the greatest congregation of super duper smarty peoples.

I believe everyone has a unique form of intelligence which are more developed then others. Visual, number, colour, aristic , athletics...etc etc all forms of intelligence in my eyes.

I do not deny that their are a great many "intelligent" people on ATS in my eyes, but i think we got a ego train going on here.

I am glad to see many posts calling out the topic i just discussed.
edit on 11-9-2012 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 07:05 PM
link   
I'm 13, and since 2nd grade I've done several IQ tests, scores ranging from 135-164. How do I think? Consciously it's a little bit hard, because sub-consciously I'm always thinking at a million miles per hour, I can't stop, and often I give in and zone out into my thoughts. It's also the reason why I stay up until 3 am. Socially, I'm similar to most other people my age, I wonder if boys like me or not. I'm a bit of a loner, because I'd rather be inside my head than socializing with other kids. I have another friend who's gifted, and we like to "Political Debates" in Org Skills every Friday. Like most other Gifted people, I tend to be messy unless I'm organizing my collection of plastic figurines and Pokeballs and other small things I've collected in the past years that I think are too cool (or something like that) to throw away or hand down. Like most other Gifted people, I've used to be obsessed with "things". My think was Pokemon. I had over a thousand Pokemon cards that I organized by attribute, then HP, then alphabetical. How I look through other people's eyes socially, depends who you talk to. In elementary, K-5, school was too easy, as it still is. So I was impatient, unmature, impulsive, had a short attention span, couldn't keep from zoning out... I think you know how I acted. However, when I got to Middle school, I was put on ADHD meds, and my actions have improved since then... The attacking people, impulsive, unmature parts. We have two elementary schools in my town, and one middle school. I made new friends from the other school, but the kids from my elementary still actually stay away from me (No, it wasn't that bad, the people who stay away from me are the popular boys, and the girls who think they're the best in teh world). I want to go to a specialized school, or a school for Gifted people, because the entire American society is based off of people with IQ's regular and bright. School is too easy for me and I can't stay out of my head for long. I want to go to MIT or Drexle for college. I'm Jewish, but sometimes I wonder if there's really a god or not...
I like listening to music, mostly Kelly Clarkson and rap music. I like Eminem, because he raps really fast; I like memorizing his lyrics. I love animals, and I do horse back riding. My skin is sorta sensitive, not like to the sun (I'm part Israeli
), but I hate scratchy fabrics and tags, and I love soft things.
I'm good at seeing what people are like by their body language. It helps me figure out if they're worth my time or not, not in the snotty way, but more in the "strike up a conversation" way. I'm slightly hyper when not depressed, and I'm a picky eater. I don't eat much, but when there's something I really like, I eat the entire thing.
The reason I'm talking about this stuff, the last two paragraphs, is because most Gifted people also have things like that.
I'm teaching myself to code Java, and I know how to count binary numbers. I like to play online MMO games...
My dad is also gifted, 131, and I have two younger brothers who may or may not be gifted. Like me, they (my brothers) didn't like reading until 2nd grade, and then they quickly surpassed their grade level in reading and in math. I also have a twin sister (fraternal) who is not Gifted, but she works hard. I think high IQs are genetic... my brothers and I are like my dad, and he's the one with the high IQ, while my sister is like my mom, and my mom and my sister don't have high IQs. My brain is a mystery to me, and I like researching how gifted people think. Before just now, I thought I had something wrong with me, but now I see that everything I thought was wrong was actually just a pit fall of having a high IQ.
I often ask "why" questions, so much that my parents get fed up with me... it's kind of annoying, them wanting me to shut up.
So yeah, this is how I think and act, and see myself.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by JamesBlonde
Hi I guess I vaguely fit into this area so, how do I think?

Emotionally. I am quite detatched emotionally. My emotions are comparmentalised and I do not let them affect my decision making where possible. I am an actor so I use a technique called emotional recall however. This means that I am able to draw from emoitions I have felt in the past to present the image of real emotion. I would say that i definitely do not have a normal emotional state compared to a lot of the people around me who seem to be ruled by their emotions. I prefer to express my emotions in other, more creative and constructive ways since it seems such a shame to let all that energy go to waste.

Socially. I have never been a particularly social person. I would rather sit in a cafe or a bar and watch people from a distance than interact with them since I have found that most people eventually bore or irritate me. I have a smal circle of like minded friends and we are able to see through people together as though they were panes of glass. A lot of the time I dont even find it neccessary to interact with people because I am able to accurately deduce enough about them by observing their behaviour. I do not like large groups of people. I much prefer the company of less than five people.

Idealogically. I have my own perceptions of all that passes and I use this to form what might be termed a situationally appropriate ideaology. I am an oppotunistic person so ideaology, if held too close, is only a hinderance to me.
I have beliefs which I pursue, investigate and develop so rather than reading those of others from a book. My beliefs tend to evolve as I gain more experience and I view people who subscribe to pre-prepared doctrine, ie religion or politics, with some degree of bemused contempt, I know that this is a little un-generous of me so I attempt make myself friendly and approachable to compensate for this despite my limited patience.

This, this, this. Many moon ago I was tested multiple times with ranges between 146 and 170. What people see as stand-offish from me is more of a detachment on my part while I observe and ponder. In the last ten years or so I have learned to be much more socially acceptable in (what are awkward for me) situations but it quite literally takes every amount of strength I have to do so.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by LiquidationOfDiscrepancy

In the words of Rene Descartes, "Cogito Ergo Sum" (I think; therefore, I am).

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 10:48 PM
link   
37 pages of posts, on this question? [shakes head with smirk on his face] [looks away, and smiles]

I guess I have no business posting here as my IQ falls in between 123 and 135, depending on the test. How do they think? Quicker than me, that's for sure.

I do know that some other things that are just as important as speed and that is accuracy, and having access to true statements. In other words, information that is not skewed and is correct. Again the old computer term, garbage in, garbage out. Some folks would see speed as a great advantage but that in itself can be a great debilitation because as stated above if you have the wrong pieces to the puzzle and speed to the finish, its still wrong in the end. A slower processor may catch what the speedy one misses. Slow and methodical, yep, that's for me.

I don't thinks its really all about IQ and I'm sure many folks here would agree. It seems to be a balance of IQ, information, and to me, the most important aspect, inspiration. And people ask how do I know the things I know? [bows head in humiliation] I care.

For more information about IQ and a list of the IQ of famous persons, follow the link.
I'm officially a "Very Superior Intelligence"

www.eoht.info...

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211
What I've noticed is the speed of thought. You seem to arrive at a conclusion faster than maybe others do. Sometimes it's difficult having to wait for others to (tediously) finish a thought or statement, when you have already come up with a new response - before they are even done with their original thought. Also, sometimes you just 'know' the answer, for example, to a math problem without having to go through the manual steps of computation.

Is that like asking another person a question, then answering the question you just asked them in your head before they can formulate an answer?

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 07:55 AM
link   
It's funny how a lot of the posters who claim to be over 140, also then go on to whine about their depressed/emo existences.

I was hoping to find an account like, "My IQ is ___, and I am happy.", without either whining, or talking about how great your Illuminati, college/university qualifications are.

I like to think, people with higher IQ's, naturally, are above bragging about it, in the manner a lot have been doing in here.

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 08:59 AM
link   

How do we think?

. . . uhhhhh . . . with our brains.

How do you think?

LOLOL.

There's a lot of idiosyncratic features to individuals and their thought processes.

Most of the high IQ folks I know tend to think more outside the box than the average person. But not all.

Some are quite OCD.

Some are off the wall artistic and erratic.

Like average people, high IQ people are quite different on a list of mental and personality features.

Sometimes we can have problems connecting with average people. I think the reasons are as much other aspects of our personalities and upbringing vs a function of our IQ's.

Interestingly, except for some teaching and counseling situations, it has often been hard work for me to simplify my vocabulary. I've just always read a lot and had a naturally large vocabulary resulting therefrom. Some people are put off by that. But it's not an affectation nor ostentatious thing. It's just the way I grew up and used my IQ. Sometimes it's seemed as much a liability in some social situations, as an asset.

And, high IQ folks are not brilliant about everything. High IQ people can do a LOT of very very dumb things.

Very often we can be shockingly narrow in our high IQ strengths.

Many are broader but not all are.

The issue of speed in thinking has been mentioned. Yeah, that can be true--particularly in areas of great interest, knowledge, experience and skill.

I don't recall reading any research on how much of that may come from a kind of intuitive capacity such as many women have. I just know that often I'll know--JUST KNOW--some things without being aware of a linear process to arrive at the "knowing."

For linear thought processes . . . high IQ folks may be somewhat faster but I don't know the research data on that. Been away from such too long. BTW, age effects all of us. LOL.

edit on 17/3/2013 by BO XIAN because: addition

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 09:42 AM
link   
I feel like some sort of outside observer, looking down upon the mess that humanity has created for itself.
Yet I feel no pity, no, instead I feel a huge amount of animosity and near psychopathic levels of hatred for these poor creatures who are far too stupid to look after themselves or be expected to behave in any kind of logical or rational manner.

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 09:59 AM
link   

I knew this guy that had a really high iq. He had a good job, but his mind made him a little socially awkward. He made really cheesy jokes and thought they were hilarious and would mismatch socks and the like. I assume because his mind was elsewhere. I've experienced similar effects whenever I was thinking too much, but usually the kind of thinking too much that's brought on by anxiety. I kind of wonder about people with high iqs that are in good spirits. A lot of highly intelligent people seem to have a burden, then you see some super intelligent people that enjoy every little thing. It's strange. I would consider myself fairly intelligent, but sometimes it grabs me in the wrong way and i get anxious and worry over things I can't change, life's questions sort of things.

I think it's an interesting thing to ask OP.

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Sorry - double post.
It's the Sun's fault.

edit on 17-3-2013 by AdAstra because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by AdAstra

The connection process - because that's what "IQ" is - encompasses a far wider network of associations.

But please, remember that existing "IQ" tests are known to be imperfect. That's putting it politely.
Also, the "IQ" varies, depending on the levels of stress and other factors.

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow
then you see some super intelligent people that enjoy every little thing.

Yes. The most intelligent person I know - her IQ was "off the charts" in infancy - is exactly like this.
And it makes perfect sense because of the association process I mentioned above, which requires - and causes - extreme attention to detail.

edit on 17-3-2013 by AdAstra because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 04:47 PM
link   

I will simply say this, The higher your I.Q. is, the more you realize how very very little you know. You also become terribly saddened by humanity.

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Usually the IQ scale is expressed by where you are on the bell curve because there is no other accurate correlation between the various tests and their different yard sticks

Im in the top 3.0 percent myself

the bad guys have the top .oo1 on their payrole

oh well:
BETTER LUCKY THAN SMART

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 04:59 PM
link   

well man its no problemo i do da tinking with ladies...and i like to eat me cookies...i like dis puppies. I really tink its no problem when like normal person i like to sexy then i think...hey man what was i thinking? and now i go toilet.

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by LiquidationOfDiscrepancy
How do geniuses with IQ's Of 140 - 200 think? How do you geniuses feel emotionally, socially, and what are your ideologies in life?
I would like to hear from posters who have official test results, and other forms of IQ test.

[edit on 113131p://444 by LiquidationOfDiscrepancy]

I once spent a week when I was sick from work doing IQ tests - I got better at them and I did score 140 for one - most were around 125 - 135 ish. To be honest most IQ test questions can be improved upon with technique and application. So they are not really testing IQ, more education.

A proper IQ test would measure the brains natural potential unencumbered by knowledge of the Pythagorean Theorem. I have yet to do one like that.

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Carefully and thoroughly. You should have been able to guess this. As far as emotional states go, geniuses are still human. That being said, most geniuses have learned to mute their emotions so that they do not get in the way of logical reasoning.

Furthermore, like a soldier of great physical prowess may unwittingly harbor loathe for a person who would otherwise be able to defend themselves; geniuses may feel a little outrage, when confronting a large problem that takes quite a bit of effort to express and extrapolate solutions to, at people who nay-say, use illogical arguments, or enter the intellectual fray with little or no actual scientifically founded arguments. It is hard enough being smart, without dumb people getting in the way. Just as it is hard being a brave soldier, even without wimpy pacifists getting in the way. If geniuses' minds were guns and medals, we too would have our own national graveyard of fallen heroes.

Geniuses will always find hope. We will always rediscover civility. And, we absolutely can not stop being intelligent, no matter how many beers we've had.
edit on 17-3-2013 by sanitus because: content added

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   
... someone already mentioned
this world often saddens me.

edit on 17-3-2013 by Exitt because: ?

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by negativenihil

How do people with

top topics

<< 34  35  36    38  39  40 >>