It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do people with IQs of 140 - 200 think?

page: 34
<< 31  32  33    35  36  37 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 10:18 AM
link   
I don't know if the OP expected things to go the way they have in here. I mean, the original question was about how high-IQ individuals think. Since 99% percent of the population wouldn't know from firsthand experience, then I think he would have expected them to speculate; not self-report fictitious scores. As for the post before your last post, I don't know if they realize that the only test capable of reaching such a score without hitting a ceiling is the Stanford-Binet Form LM:
www.hoagiesgifted.com...
www.cps.nova.edu...
www.hoagiesgifted.org...

The SBLM is used almost exclusively to better characterize individuals who max out (hit the ceilings on) other more commonly used IQ tests. This means that if someone was tested only once, it is highly unlikely that the SBLM was used. Most definitely, a tool with lower ceilings (incapable of reaching such high scores) was employed instead. So, those of you who claim exceedingly high scores because "of AN IQ TEST" you took at some point in your lives, you've just been "outed"!

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Double-posted & removed.

[edit on 5-4-2009 by X-tal_Phusion]

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Old topic, but I needed to say this after reading.

There are really some of the posters here who thinks waaaay too much of themselves.

140-200 IQ? If you got that, you dont make that many typos and you most certainly do not write in the ways some of you who claims to be that smart do.

I have a normal IQ, nothing special. Some of you guys in this topic should admit that aswell. Its easy to see.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I'd have chimed in sooner, but he cut it off at 200 max. When you're done polling these dullards and are ready to open it up to the 201+ segment, start a new thread.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   
haha i'm laughing here out loud looking at what some posters claim to have an IQ in the range of 140-200

Einsteins IQ had an185 or so.
The worlds average IQ is 90

In the US its about 98

There's a big difference in doing an online test or going to a certified centrum.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   
I remember feeling quite pleased with myself when I found out that my IQ was higher than average. My Dad took me aside and told me that a high IQ doesn't mean you are smart. It means that you have the potential to be smart. That has kept me humble ever since. He was and is a lot smarter than me.
edit on 4/16/2012 by Sparky63 because: Comments

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Mine's over your threshold but I don't like to talk about it a lot.

I really don't think I live up to it. I have very, very strong areas and I have areas that are weaker. For instance, verbally I score tremendously high, and I have strong visual spacial scores but I do NOT have all that great number recall. So I was a bit lopsided even at a young age, and now I have autoimmune problems that have affected my ability some.

A lot of my friends say that it is ok, I still out think most people, but what I think is that I can do stupid things and make grammatical errors faster than most people. When people learn that you are smart, they tend to take pot shots at you when you do something stupid. I'd usually rather not call attention to it, some times I actually try to hide it. It's a coping mechanism. Being smart is not always easy. My son is brilliant and has come to the same conclusion.

What do I think about? Lately I think a lot about wanting to be self sufficient. I want to be a hermit but that's almost illegal in our society. There's always societal dues to pay these days.

I think I love people but I often don't like how close minded they are. I don't like control freaks and I think a lot of people are control freaks. I think a lot of people are unhappy mainly because they are unwilling to change their thinking or compromise on anything.

I study this and I study that. I'm an autodidact. I have to be - I am never happy otherwise.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   
I agree that IQ tests are way overrated. There has never been any conclusive evidence that supports the notion the IQ test are even accurate let alone show a higher intelligence.

I think it's all a sham for people to make a name for themselves knowing it can never be proven.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Apparently only 2 out of 100 people have an IQ over 130, so if you're looking only for opinions from those between 140-150 to comment here then I believe it'll be a very lonely conversation!

I can offer some 2nd hand observations though.

An exgf of mine had an IQ of 130. I never did see any documentation of this, it was her sister that actually told me. In any case, she was extremely bright so I never doubted it.

Other than being quite witty, she also:

- had a very very good memory
- was extremely manipulative (possibly even schizophrenic)
- excellent conversationalist
- emotionally immature (although she hid this very well)
- had an almost neurotic obsession with lists
- was a lot of fun in the sack

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by LiquidationOfDiscrepancy
How do geniuses with IQ's Of 140 - 200 think? How do you geniuses feel emotionally, socially, and what are your ideologies in life?
I would like to hear from posters who have official test results, and other forms of IQ test.

[edit on 113131p://444 by LiquidationOfDiscrepancy]

Hi.

TBH. It's very frustrating for me.
I've been recently trying to figure out how to get people to be on the same level during conversations in general.

To explain a little, let's say that my capacity to comprehend is like someone who lives on the 3rd floor in a 6 floor building. I have neighbors on all floors, but the only ones I don't have to go into descriptive detail (layman's terms) live below my floor. And for the people who live on a floor above me, they have to describe to me in terms that I will understand...this makes for boring and unpleasant meetings, even awkward.

How can we all get to be on the same level intellectually? Is it something that other people want?
edit on (4/16/1212 by loveguy because:

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Whoa....talk about a blast from the past. I posted on this thread somewhere a long time ago apparently because it came up in MyATS section. Guess high IQ doesn't mean great memory.....

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Sparky63

I was told that IQ is a measurement of what you already know and the potential what you can learn.IQ
Also most people think an IQ test consists of one outcome.

When doing such a test they give different type tests.

You can have a an mathematical IQ ( sort of speaking ) of 180
But fail or score below average on other tests.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Vasa Croe

It honestly doesn't seem to mean much more than performing well on the test.

Some people who score high seem to process slow. They may actually be thinking much deeper.

Some seem to process rapidly. They may actually be processing more efficiently.

Some seem to have a vast knowledge-base and excellent long-term memory. They may actually intuit more from the context of the question itself, and be able to decipher the most likely answer.

Some seem to have a horrible memory. They may actually have a selective memory and filter out that which doesn't interest them.

Basically what I'm trying to say, is there's more than one way to attain a high score, and no one type that fits into the range of high gifted through profoundly gifted.

I once read a portion of a book that said people who are thought to have contributed work sufficiently to be worthy of the label "genius" need a relatively high IQ, approaching the 120 mark, but more so need certain qualities of character and pure chance happening to make it so.

People with a very high IQ often are "over-engineered", and become psychotic/mad, and/or don't pan out to doing much of anything. Those who are most capable are least interested in putting in effort. Hence, the brilliant low-life that is self-destructive, and puts effort only into what he is least talented in.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Oh, if it matters, I've had several official tests. I've been tested all my life- school, military, I even had to take one at my old job.

My lowest score was the Blosson (?) which I took when I was very young, and it put me at 126. I understand that the scale on that one is lower than the others. My highest score was on the WAIS-III which was given 1:1 by a psychologist. Like I said though, I am lopsided. All memory, no processor.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by HIWATT
Apparently only 2 out of 100 people have an IQ over 130, so if you're looking only for opinions from those between 140-150 to comment here then I believe it'll be a very lonely conversation!

Over 132 puts you in the 98 percentile. I think that is what you mean.
It would seem like one would be lonely, but there are studies that people with higher IQs are drawn to conspiracies and tend towards being nightowls.

So I think you would find much more of a higher percentage of people on ATS meet the criteria than in the general population. There are a lot of very, very intelligent, creative thinkers here. I am not surprised to see a lot of people answering this thread.

To be honest, nothing surprises me much on ATS. lol

The conversations here sort of remind me of late night mensa RG hospitality rooms if you let the psych patients from the hospital next door participate too. As for me, they let me out on a temporary pass. (I probably fit in both subgroups.) lol

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   
i can only speak from my own experience in july 2010 i took part in a study at queens university belfast taking 3 iq tests per day for 5 days then a mean iq was worked out i was given a score of 143...as a person i am emotionally detached,socially awkward and perhaps a little obsessive compulsive however i don't believe any of that is due to my iq it's just the way i have always been as a child i would spend hours alone in a cupboard under the stairs reading everything from the illiad to 1984

i think all people think differently it's what makes us individuals and cannot be attributed to iq scores

edit on 16-4-2012 by Ph03n1x because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   
I took the IQ test they had on the table at Cracker Barrel. It said I was a genius because I only left one peg, but they didn't give me any numbers or anything.

I wouldn't give any of these other tests any credence either. I think the likely character trait for those who have IQ's above 140 and publicly state so, is most likely arrogance. I have also found that those who are reputedly the smartest have no idea how to think on their feet.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Ph03n1x

The best thing about being 'certified as smart' to me is that I get a really GOOD discount on my insurance with Geico.
I should, I've never had a wreck and I generally don't get tickets. (I've had 2- and I swear both times it was a set up. lol.)

The15% Geico policy discount is worth a lot more $$$ than the time and bit of cash that it costs to join a high IQ society.

Just a public service announcement.

CX

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   
I worked with a guy in Northern Ireland who supposedly had a stupidly high IQ, he only joined the army as some kind of neccessary requirement for a family title (or somthing like that)...anyway he had to cook for the platoon once and kept burning the sausages under the grill....time and time again......until i pointed out that you had to turn them over.

Not saying that high IQ means lack of common sense, just that i take an IQ claim with the biggest pinch of salt ever.

My step daughters have Asperger's, and they were tested as having high IQ's when they were younger, in some aspects, i can see where that rings true, but with other aspects of life, it means nothing.

CX.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
There are a heck of a lot of posts here, so I do not know if anyone has covered this already.

IQ tests virtually test nothing but the content of knowledge already within some individual, coupled to the speed of access to that information.

Nothing more.

There is no psychological evaluation, nor anything else really going on despite what some of those websites tell you about "what you would be good at".

On a good day, meaning that I had a good night's sleep, I ate well the previous day, and I am not distracted, the tests indicate that I have an adult IQ of 162. On bad days, it ranges from about 138 to 150 something.

Many "geniuses" that I have encountered are unbalanced between thought and emotion. I think the quick access to information can be a difficulty for some. They will sometimes give what appears to be an irrelevant response, but when pushed for an explanation, can show you all the steps they went through to reach the odd conclusion they made. It will usually make sense but one has to look for the tangent that twisted things up a bit, and why. This may be one reason why some actual genius level minds are called "stupid" by the mediocre minds that couldn't think their way out of a paper bag if it had a zipper on the side.

Fast moving minds leap ahead of whatever is in front of them to carry out further thoughts connected or unconnected with whatever the stimulus was. They are sometimes the ones in class that answer with "Huh?" when approached by the teach. There may be many labelled ADD because those that make the evaluation belong in the aforementioned paper bag category.

Problematic for me is that sometimes, I really get zoned in on some topic to the exclusion of everything else. I can drive for a long period of time and not remember any of the scenery. I can set my mind to remember some long ago forgotten thing, be zombie like for awhile, and then it will pop out. I sometimes have difficulty communicating with folks that "just don't get it" and then I wonder why... It's mostly my fault.

It is sometimes a real problem with processing information quickly. I will sometimes be 3 layers ahead of others and I have to wait patiently for them to catch up or try to help them through the process. I was utterly bored to death throughout all my school years. It wasn't until I was older with a lot of life experience that I could settle on a college level education that had any meaning. If you try to teach me something at the dummied down slow.. level, I do not respond well.

Knowing that I have this "genius capacity", sort of entails some duties for me. It's not my place to rub it in other people's faces. Yet there are times when you run into those that appear to act stupidly, as if on purpose, and they never plan to actualy think about anything ever. I have to remember at those times, that while our constitution uses the phrase: "all men are created equal", that it is referring to access to "natural rights" and not to abilities between people. I can just let it pass unless they are being utterly obnoxious, then I will dress them down. If you don't really have what it takes to become a physicist or philosopher, you will neber become either until they dummy down those fields to let the non thinkers in. It's as simple as that. NOBODY likes blithering idiots, especially when they seem to plan it that way. I tend to just stay away from them and let their little reflectionless minds be.
But I also feel that I should help where ever I can unless dealing with those noticably "unteachable" people.
With my style of thinking I frequently ask myself "Why can't they see it?" It isn't always a lot of fun, being a little "quicker" than those around you.

It IS my job to try to keep thought disciplined for myself. I take my ego out of it, and seldom go off on the less "fortunate".

So while "genius" can be an asset for any human, it can also be a curse in some ways.

Have you ever noticed that there are these weird little folk out there that simply despise intelligent people?

Trolls come mind here...

Do not worry. It's not your fault. Their past failings that make them bitter are nothing that you have done. They fit the bill of the mediocre minds that Einstein mentions. For me, I just feel bad sometimes when I wonder why there are not more people around like me, with this gift/curse.

new topics

top topics

<< 31  32  33    35  36  37 >>

join