It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do people with IQs of 140 - 200 think?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 07:18 PM
link   
How do geniuses with IQ's Of 140 - 200 think? How do you geniuses feel emotionally, socially, and what are your ideologies in life?
I would like to hear from posters who have official test results, and other forms of IQ test.

[edit on 113131p://444 by LiquidationOfDiscrepancy]

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Please post your comments.

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 07:58 PM
link   
I've never taken an IQ test, and I really doubt mine is in that range, but what is it you expect?

What do you think they think? Do you think they have some sort of enlightenment for you?

Many with high IQ's suffer inversely in other areas in life because of it, personality and social problems for one (or two
). There is much to be gained from consulting intelligence, but there are many other factors to consider when looking for a 'world view' or to gain a real cumulative answer to the problems people want the answer to.

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 08:01 PM
link   
I'm not sure, really. I process information faster than most folks and I hypercotextualize information, which means that I can make unusual connections. This is particularly good for someone like myself, who is in the process of getting a PhD in a research science.

I like school and research. I'm getting my second Masters' degree (will have it in 5 months) and am enjoying the schoolwork and the papers.

As to the rest, I'm not sure that it could be summed up in messages... and I'm not really sure I want to lay out that much of my life in public. I'm a fairly private person. My life is reasonably ordinary and as for politics and beliefs, I'm a liberal, tree-hugger feminist Democrat. My presence here on ATS has given me an impetus to learn things outside my usual fields of experience and it's really enhanced my work at school.

+7 more 
posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Emotionally - I used to have very powerful, simple emotions, in a sort of rotating spray. I fell head over heels in love more than a dozen times as a youth. I felt huge sadness, terrible, crushing sadness. I hated with extreme pashion as well. As I grew older, the wheel kept turning, but it slowed down and gave me more time for contemplation and study in between drama episodes. When I got older still, distance provided perspective, and balance was increased. As I understand more and more of the equation, as my wisdom increases (self knowledge and knowledge of the world), so does my serenity.

I like plants the best for my inspiration, they're very serene. Even if they're eaten, they can smile and take a nap. Soon they'll be coming out the other side, multiplied and fertilized. Adversity becomes benefit. The water is another great example of powerful serenity, it will flow around an obstructive boulder for centuries, and soon, there will be no boulder, only water. Patience. Youth knows nothing about patience. It gets easier as you get older.

Socially - I've always been a social person, but in a particular way. I've always had a few, very good friends, as opposed to lots of casual aquaintances. I value my privacy and my time too much to constantly be surrounded by other people. It's very hard to think when you are immersed in social interactions without any sort of downtime in between. I do love conversation, because one can learn something from every one, it's just a matter of perspective, but too much of a good thing can be deadly. You can quite easily lose yourself in the lives of others, and stray from your path in life. Those who are willfully neglecting their own path often co-opt the lives of others in hopes that will make an adequate substitute, but it always fails, invariably, miserably, universally - works the same for all of us.

I don't think socialites are all braindead, but I do think being constantly social and reactive to the signals of those around you interferes with deep thinking. Social activities are very healthy though, so one has to find some sort of balance. Relationships are as important as solitude, and that's coming from a hermit. Balance in all things is a good general goal to strive for, because it adequately reflects successful behavior in the world around us. The planet is balanced, the animals, the stars, the All. You should also be in balance, rocking gently between chaos and order.

Ideologies -I guess I'd be best described as a Gnostical Taoist...

I believe we live in Hell, a place of suffering. Will is power in this place, so is compassion ( a more subtle form of power, less certain, but less draining), and knowledge. See, we're in Hell, but we're not paying for sins from some past life, we're not paying for original sin, we're paying for those sins we commit in this life, in our immediate past, from our current lives. People get hung up on the afterlife and twist their own lives up as a result. This is Hell, so learn to fly, don't wait to do so until after you're dead, on the word of a preacher with ruptured capilaries in his nose, or a dusty parchment page.

See, great men have come before us. There are few if any original thoughts. The wisdom of the ages contains, in parable and riddle form, the combined, distilled, thinking of every man who has come before. Accessing and assimilating all that knowledge on the other hand is a daunting task, perhaps made impossible by simple passage of time; the enormous size of the set.

We can but try. That's where Taoism comes in...

It just means the way, an inherently 'right' way of doing things, that follows universal laws observed and understood. If life is a path, what is there to do but walk it? There's no sensible alternative. Since there is no destination in sight for the most part, we should focus on the journey. Learn, grow, travel, understand more and more with every step, do not fear what you cannot change...and on and on. The religions, the myths, the pulp novels, the poems, they all have something to teach.

If you learn it, you are another step closer to understanding. Understanding is the reward, earned through dedication and fortune.

Some men worship fortune and suffer from sloth, arrogance, delusions, all the rest. Some men worship dedication and fall prey to hubris, they become rigid out of love of their current form, they hurt themselves, disrupt their path in doing so.

So, Dedication and Fortune, I worship them in myself, in others, in the universe - nature. I see them as the driving forces of my existence, the difference between motion and stasis - a sort of many faceted ideal of perfected imperfection.

I do not know what came before this - I can only craft a puzzle image as complete as my pieces of the moment allow. I do not know what comes after - I can only paint a picture as beautiful as I know how. I do wish to enjoy whatever comes - so the only thing is to follow the clearest path, and never stray because I wish to arrive at a destination somewhere off the path. Those things take dedication, to allow for imperfection in the name of perfection. By the way, paradox should be embraced because, well, it's the nature of the universe - reflected in man as in all things.

It's the difference between trying to manhandle the future, and having faith that the future will come and be good. This is only possible if you are confident in your ability to perceive it as good, and alternately your ability to make it good. Hence, a positive outlook on all things, a possible solution must be allowed for. Depression is the opposite of this. It's hopelessness. So that's where fortune comes in.

I'm also a scholar and a warrior. For similar reasons, adaptability and a desire to continue on my path.

Communication is a viable means of helping those who cross your path with their own. It's counterproductive to 'pick' them up and control their destiny, because you will either maintain your path and take them astray, or you will neglect your own to help them, and find yourself lost. However, telling stories or playing a melody that tells an emotional story, or painting a picture, can communicate knowledge and give those people something, without falling away from your own movement, your own direction. To be compassionate, it helps to be a scholar, because you will see when you neglect others, and where you neglect yourself. Essentially it lends to the avoidance of barriers on your path, and simulataneously lends to the success of others.

Sometimes others will seek to block your path for any number of reasons. Diplomacy is preferable. Threats are secondary. But in the event a confrontation happens, you must be able to conquer the obstacle in one fashion or another in order to continue on your path. Being a warrior entails many things, too many to list for this already lengthy post, but the first and foremost thing it serves is one's own destiny. Essentially it removes barriers as a last resort.

It takes DEDICATION to be a scholar and a warrior, to master and combine the two, to reject hubris and greed, sloth and animal rage, foolishness and ignorance. It takes constant vigilance to remain adaptable and in motion.

All I know is the theory. It's easy to talk, it's enormously difficult to do, probably by its very nature impossible - but that's precisely why I love it so much, because it is a path without an end. How better to enjoy the journey?

So that's my ideology in a nutshell. Okay, so it was a big nutshell.
Mea culpa.

A tidbit you might find interesting. Many if not most autistic children are thought to have IQ stats high into the thousands. Their thoughts are simply above us. Therefore, IQ follows the rule of everything else, too much is too much. Too much of anything can kill you (even water), and apparently too much IQ can seriously impair your ability to function in the world.

So IQ is not a case of higher being better, it's a case of having as much as you need to live your life - the details of which vary widely from person to person. That's my perception of it anyway. Luckily my IQ has sustained me in my journey, but I'm sure I could have gotten along fine with a much lower one. It's hard to function with an abysmally low, or an impractically high IQ, but it appears any measure inside the bookends, within the fringes, is capable of ferrying us through life.

So that's the end of my spiel. I hope I've provided some illumination.

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Hmm I think I fall under the 140-200 range. like 176 in kindergarten, no idea now. I really dont care bout my iq, but I like being smarter than other people oftentimes. I often get depressed, because I think I'm no good. So I pray to God. (I'm Christian, and no, I was not raised that way.) I think me being smart is a blessing from God. Sometimes, I wish I werent smart, and would be less bored in school, sometimes I wish I did not care about other people, or about politics or freedom. It would be much less depressing, to just accept things as right, even if they are wrong. I think I become depressed because I have a fragile emotion. Every once in a while, I'll yell at my parents, and I'll feel bad afterwards, and I pray, and then feel better eventually. I am sure there is God (christian God), and I've talked to him. He's there

Anyways, I am mad at the school system for many reasons, but especially because their "honors" classes arent for smart people, it should be for dumb people. If someone were smart, why should they need extra homework/practice? We arent going faster, were just practicing more. A smarter person could learn with less practice, and it makes me mad.Oh well, life sucks then u die - just kidding. Well, I dont know why you care to hear that about how I think, but there ya go.

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 09:43 PM
link   
How do people with IQs of 140 - 200 think?
We think quite well thank you very much...

[edit on 31-3-2005 by Netchicken]

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 09:52 PM
link   
How do I think? Normally, I hope. I fall in the 140-200 range, but I don't consider myself a genius by any means. Geniuses are people like Einstein; people who contribute to science, medacine, technology, etc..

Anyway...

Emotionally, I used to be depressed most of the time, but now I'm always in a state pasiveness, you know?

Socially, I'm very quiet and very shy. I'm not anti social, but I'm very uncomfortable in situations when a large number of people are involved in a small environment. (e.g. parties of any kind.)

Idealogy...thats a tough one, It's really difficult for me to put into words exactly what I believe. I'll edit it in if I can figure out a way to describe it.

I hope that answered most of your questions.

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by LiquidationOfDiscrepancy
How do geniuses with IQ's Of 140 - 200 think? How do you geniuses feel emotionally, socially, and what are your ideologies in life?
[edit on 073131p://444 by LiquidationOfDiscrepancy]

[edit on 073131p://444 by LiquidationOfDiscrepancy]

I took a test and supposedly have an I.Q. of 146 (im only 16! but I also doubt I.Q. tests can really judge intellegence all that well) emotionally, I feel more like any other teenager does, rollercoaster type emotions. As for ideologies, im a practicing catholic if thats you mean, and also a conservative type thinker with what I guess are the "average conservative" views. Socailly I dont feel any different than any teen who is not a genius, I never try to put myself above anyone because of my intellegnce.

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Emotionally - Kinda detached but always thinking of how my current demeanor is influencing others. I am generally optimistic.

Ideologically - I am what I would hope is a strong Christian. I am a deep thinker, and tend to overanalyze many things. Find the reasons for why things are, and have always had a profound interest in what people do to seek fulfillment

Socially - I have always been pretty outgoing, and generally I am able to get along with pretty much anyone. I have a quick wit, and I am sometimes sarcastic. I always like to find and point out idiosyncracies, they make life alot funnier.

I have a tested IQ of 182.

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 11:14 PM
link   
I would describe myself as an esoteric intellectual individual that is isolated from our society’s mainstream social culture’s trends, music, television programs , and any other methods that are used to manipulate and dilute the over all masses IQ, and ability to reason for themselves. I feel like people need to rely on more empirical methods of reasoning that support a given hypothesis, than choosing to believe what others tell them as actual fact. You could call me a philosophical idealist , an open minded individual.
I am a Christian and follow the word of God. I like platonic ideas, and I love to read about theoretical physics, biology and other intellectual stimulating books, and articles.I hyper-contextualize or is it hyper-conceptualize? I don’t know which it is, but it is rather insignificant at this point, anyways I feel like I am performing way above my grade level, and school can be rather irritating, because I don‘t think they realize I‘m GIFTED.… I get more angry than bored in school, but boredom shortly shifts to irritation. I know I may be a bit incoherent in my explanation, but I’m just trying to release all this frustration all at once. Especially in my biology class, don’t get me wrong biology opened me up to a world of fascination that I never knew existed, and I love it! The part I don’t like is how the teacher limits my hyper-conceptualization, and inquisitive nature. She calls on my hand last, and usually after waiting for ten minutes after answering what I sometimes see as rather insignificant questions that other students ask, she answers my questions saying “I’m not trying to be mean, but I will not answer that question, because I don’t want to confuse everyone in the class.” I’m thinking is this an excuse because you don’t know the answer to my question, or do you think the other children in your class don’t have the mental capability to understand the complexities of your wonderful answer? If she doesn’t say that she’ll respond simply as “I don’t know the answer to that.” At least when she says that, she is being honest. I admire honesty, because I don’t know all the answers myself! I can tolerate others limitations, and as well as my own, but that does not mean I shouldn’t work in those areas to increase the complexities of my working mind, to focus on those areas, and over come my stumps. For example while the teacher is talking about meiosis of microorganisms, my mind is straying away from what she is talking about into a world of fascination and wonder. For example in this case I may be wondering about mitosis in macro organism
in outer space while comparing it in a juxtaposition to mitosis and cell reproduction under the ocean. Then I might loose all focus with what she is talking about, and spontaneously raise my hand for her to answer the question I had created in my mind, and as you can tell, my questions have very little to do with what she is talking about. Her answers are sometimes so SIMPLE she cuts off my thought process off… or just cuts me off completely. Don’t get me wrong she is a wonderful teacher and I couldn’t had ask for a better women who cared for her students, and I love her, just I wish sometimes she would go off subject and answer my questions. Sometimes I get lucky and SHE does answer my questions, and in a quite good manner on top of that.

Well don't get me wrong i'm just find in regular classes, I have too much work as it is now! Busy work bores me. Doing 80 types of the same math problem bores me. I have ADHD and I can't stay on one thing only for so long.

Anyways I can barely keep hold of a normal conversation with other peers my age, but I find it a lot easier to talk to adults, and that’s why I come here… I hope I least fit in with you guys. Sorry… I had to get that off my chest. I feel guilty now confessing what I said about my biology teacher, but like I said, I love her, and she is a good teacher.

I think I should be in a more intellectual stimulating environment though. The reason I don’t join some of these so called “”Advance classes” is for the fact in my opinion I feel like I am being punished for being gifted with all the busy work they give.. Which makes it more boring.

I don’t like following the same ole’ same ole’ criteria the school administration sets up. I think it lessens my creativity. I mean for example kids will ask what they need to do to get an A on a project… BAH Why can’t we just be creative, make some kind of performance, act out a play and still do the project to get an A? I think there is a lot wrong with our educational system and I don’t really know where to begin to fix it. I feel like intellectually I am mature, but socially I am immature. I do not get alone with my peers that well, and I like to keep to myself/-Liquid

P.S. I also like to do things considered "Weird" by my peers such as going outside and getting one with nature... I love that... it frees my mind. Plus I love to read alot... & get lost in the world of thought.

I don't ever look at myself better because of my intelligence.
I look at myself as equal to other people.. Since in God's eyes we all are.

[edit on 113131p://444 by LiquidationOfDiscrepancy]

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by DanD9
Hmm I think I fall under the 140-200 range. like 176 in kindergarten, no idea now. I really dont care bout my iq, but I like being smarter than other people oftentimes. I often get depressed, because I think I'm no good. So I pray to God. (I'm Christian, and no, I was not raised that way.) I think me being smart is a blessing from God. Sometimes, I wish I werent smart, and would be less bored in school, sometimes I wish I did not care about other people, or about politics or freedom. It would be much less depressing, to just accept things as right, even if they are wrong. I think I become depressed because I have a fragile emotion. Every once in a while, I'll yell at my parents, and I'll feel bad afterwards, and I pray, and then feel better eventually. I am sure there is God (christian God), and I've talked to him. He's there

Anyways, I am mad at the school system for many reasons, but especially because their "honors" classes arent for smart people, it should be for dumb people. If someone were smart, why should they need extra homework/practice? We arent going faster, were just practicing more. A smarter person could learn with less practice, and it makes me mad.Oh well, life sucks then u die - just kidding. Well, I dont know why you care to hear that about how I think, but there ya go.

You & I have alot in common

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 12:02 AM
link   
I wish i could contribute a lot to this thread. But my IQ falls just a few notches short of 130...
lol.

I have learned though... That the people who are "really smart" are usually the people who ONLY try in school if they are looking to go to a university straight out of high school. Other than that, most of the really smart people stay in the barely passing range.

I would say that anyone with a highly above average, or genius IQ is for the most part free thinking, and honest. And like has already been mentioned, can process information in their heads much faster than the others.

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by antigovFZ777
I wish i could contribute a lot to this thread. But my IQ falls just a few notches short of 130...
lol.

I have learned though... That the people who are "really smart" are usually the people who ONLY try in school if they are looking to go to a university straight out of high school. Other than that, most of the really smart people stay in the barely passing range.

I would say that anyone with a highly above average, or genius IQ is for the most part free thinking, and honest. And like has already been mentioned, can process information in their heads much faster than the others.

I don't care anyone is welcomed to post here, and an IQ of 130 is very good

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 12:19 AM
link   
I think with my voice in my head... Occasionally in pictures and movies. I have quite the vivid imagination. Keep in mind I said my voice, please. I barely ever listen to the other voices in my head.

Yes you do.

No I don't. Shut up.

You shut up!

No you shut up!

ALL OF YOU SHUT UP!

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 12:43 AM
link   
As someone with an average IQ, I'd just like to thank a few of you for some exceptional posts, candy for the mind

I find it amazing that a lot of you are christians
I guess IQ's dont mean much

[edit on 1-4-2005 by Azza]

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 01:33 AM
link   
www.imagedump.com...

Heh i have never taken a real one but many many online ones and they all average anywhere from 144-148.

Emotionally- I find myself depressed most of the time. I do believe i am difficult to please, i also have high anxiety. I have attempted suicide 1 time and have contemplated it many.

Socially- I was the guy at school that was friends with everyone. Although i spent many a friday nights up in my room on the computer. Now I have broken out of my shell...and I am a much more sociable person.

Many nights i will be restless while trying to sleep. My mind is always on other things, it is very difficult for me to get to sleep. It normally takes me about an hour to get to sleep.

I do not believe in God. I do however believe that all of our souls form an entity that would be considered a God. It is a mass of thoughts, and a collection of history. Our sounds are connected to it...via a lifeline, and when the lifeline is cut the form into the ever-growing entity.

I didnt do very well in school...i was a C student. I just dont think i was pushed enough, and became lazy and didnt care, i felt there was a higher knowledge to be taught, and what they were teaching was basic knowledge.

Other than that i mean I am a normal guy living a normal life.

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 01:37 AM
link   
The first one was just for fun. I couldn't resist something like that. Anyway, now that I've thought of a way to properly convey what I want to say, I shall do so! I originally had this broken up into categories, but it was too hard for me to stay in one set one, so sorry I sort of float around in what I'm saying.

Well, I'm pretty good at judging peoples reactions, which makes it ironic that normally it's hard for me to say how I feel. At times I think too much into my emotions and reactions, usually when something is negative, and only worsen them.

I'm fairly patient, which comes in handy as a teacher. I have to deal with a lot of students, the majority of which are older than me. (Keep in mind that I'm 19 and I teach basic college level astronomy.) But I'm also a pilot and an avid astronomer. With those things comes a neccessary patience.

Sometimes it is hard for me to figure out what I feel like. Occasionally it's almost like a surge of uncontrolable emotion. I can usually break out of that, but when it happens it takes A LOT of thought and time. Nothing I can't handle, but it is difficult though.

I tend to come off as a lot older than I actually am, when I'm being serious that is. I can easily hold conversations with my seniors, as well as my more educated peers. I can talk about nearly everything, but I tend to stay more in scientific categories.

If I don't understand something, I'll just ask. I'm very quizzicle about everything. I'm always trying to figure things out; like how they work, what causes what, etc... When I was younger I would take apart broken radios and try and get them working again. I had only a few successes, but it was a start. Now I focus on the cosmos, learning more and more everyday about it.

My philosophy on life is a fairly simple one: Live life. We only have one life, so why not do anything within my reason to enjoy it? I don't do drugs, I don't do anything too dangerous, and I don't do anything else illegal. I strongly believe in overcoming my fears, something that I had struggled with a lot. I'm afraid of heights; I got my pilot's lisence, ride roller coasters, and have gone bungee jumping. I'm afraid of snakes and insects; I study them when I get the chance (be it in a pet store or in the wild). You get the point...

I try to stay family and friend oriented, though they have both come to merge together over the recent time. I would do anything for my friends and family. I think that those are the strongest ties in the world, and they're all people I know I can depend on in a time of need.

I wasn't kidding about hearing myself speak in my last post, that is how I think the majority of the time. Like right now, I'm thinking in my voice in my head to convey what it is what I want to say. Though when I'm trying to figure something out, like trying to fix a radio or where I'm headed next in my car, I will think in images. If I'm planning something or writing a story I will think in video. Thinking in video is the hardest for me, especially when it comes to writing stories. It's hard for me to convey all I see in my mind onto paper, so one thing I've begun to do is describe my mind videos into a recorder and then I listen to myself and base what I want to write off of that.

I'm not a religious person, but a spiritual one. I don't follow any set religion. I believe in a God. I believe in the sayings and teachings major prophets or leaders of all religions, though not neccessarily in the happenings of those people themselves. One thing I do is avoid Organized Religions. I believe it is too commercial and corrupt to properly lead people in their spiritual quests.

I think that that's about all I can ramble on about for now. If something is unclear in what I said, which there probably is, ask me to clarify it and i certainly will do my best.

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 02:00 AM
link   
Although I have a tested I.Q. of 142, IMO, I do not think that an I.Q. test is the only gauge of one's intelligence. Honestly, I believe that life's experiences work hand-in-hand with one's academic or spatial(not special:lol
abilities.

Before I continue, I will clue you in, now, that I have not received any certificates of higher learning.

As one moves through the trials of life, they pick up bits and pieces of information along the way. Depending upon how one processes these bits and pieces, IMO, determines how "smart" one is. (Have you ever thought, "Jeez, grandpa/grandma is so smart!")

If I'm not mistaken, the author of this post said, in another thread, that he believes that a person's I.Q. peaks at around 16 yrs. of age. I beg to differ with you, Sir. A person's "Intelligence Quotient" peaks on the day that they die. For every waking moment that you are alive, you are learning something. Some ppl process this slower than others, some faster. All-in-all, you are more intelligent than the day you were born. THAT is why I have a problem with I.Q. tests and "Intelligence Quotients".

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 02:42 AM
link   
Well i haven ever taken an IQ test but everyone says i'm very intelligent (and i like to think so). I'm probably not a genius though. I cant say how i think coz socially i'm great, i dont get emotional and my idealologies are the same as many people who arent as intelligent...

I do apparantly see things differently to most and can easily find solutions to problems with minimal effort. People say they would love to take a walk in my mind for a day and see where all my ides come from... honsetly i dont know but like i said i rarely try and the answer just seems to appear just when i need it.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join