It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World's largest writing and teaching org demands teachers use Ebonics instead of English

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 02:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

When I go home, I speak "country". When I'm in the office, I speak proper English. I write it too. It's not that hard to keep the two separate. And it shouldn't be that hard for blacks to figure out. One if a dialect for home, friends, and family, and the other is for formal work situations.

*They aren't special.*

OOHHHHH......Can't believe you said that!!! .......It removes their get out of jail

card.

And now they wont have an excuse to fall back on.

edit on 3-9-2020 by eletheia because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 03:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod

originally posted by: RickinVa
From the source:

teachers respeck Black thought and how that thought manifests in Black speech and writing. That is, it might not sound like you desire it to, but remember, it sounds real right, regardless of unrelenting white supremacist socialization.

I would suggest that they attempt to master the English language first.

Repeck? LOL LOL LOL

They have my respeck!!!

whats next..gang hand signs?

Eventually all will be reduced to three words- I AM GROOT

posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: kwakakev

Are you kidding me? When we were over there? I WASNT OVER ANYWHERE. I didnt do anything to their culture I was born and lived in the 20th century. We all live in North America to embrace northern culture while still maintaining our heritage in ways. I understand alot of racist things have been done but I did not do them and the education system should not be changed to incorporate a broken language. Theres nothing wrong with speaking Patois I think it's cool but we dont need to teach it as a language unless maybe as an elective in high school or somthing. Stop trying to punish white people for # our grandparents did. I would never treat people the way our ancestors treated other and I'm sure if we all look back in our history we could ALL say the same thing.

posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Math is very racist too, hell school in general is racist...Maybe we should not have blacks attend any school at all...

Why does the term Jim Crow pop into my head every time I hear of this crap...Its like people on the left want to go back to some version of that.

I also find it kind of strange that English is just find for a large population of the planet across all races and cultures except for African Americans. To be honest if that is what they want to teach then teach it as another language class like Spanish or French.

posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: trollz

very interesting topic. language is constantly changing, renewing, expanding.

en.m.wikipedia.org...

posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 03:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Traptomisprime
Stop trying to punish white people for # our grandparents did. I would never treat people the way our ancestors treated other and I'm sure if we all look back in our history we could ALL say the same thing.

More than 95% of the white population in America today didn't even have ancestors as slave owners...lol And those that did it would be great, of great great grandparents.

posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Yo! To be perfectly honest, dahs whole sahtuatahon ahs got out of ha'. Hopefully dahs latest stupahdahty ta ahncrease racahal tensahons a' dahvahsahveness wahll be quahckly euthaahsed, man, but aht'll get support from some ahgnorat quarters. It's den a Gonorsan Jer of tahme before aht starts ta ahnfect da UK. God help us all.

Full marks ahf ya understa' dahs but used a Englahsh ta Ebonahcs traslatar o see what dahs shahtty laguage actually loaahahghts lahke!.

Translator used
edit on 3/9/2020 by paraphi because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 03:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: akiros
a reply to: carewemust

dont act like you dont know a lot of 'great films' from that era are going to be classified as racist. If you couldnt get away with it nowadays it's gonna be considered racist.

OH HOW IRONIC that all of schooling, thought, and endeavor still comes down to that 1 person saying 'yep, youve got the job'

They had better not censor Superfly and Shaft.

posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 03:26 PM
link   
And still no one wonders why none of this makes it better.

You patronize people with this stuff. They know darn good and well they aren't doing it right, don't know how to do it right, and it just make them madder and madder.

None of this fixes anything.

Maybe instead we should hold the expectation that they can and are capable of meeting the same standards the rest of us have?

posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 03:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

Seems redundant to teach what someone already knows and has been practicing since birth.

I suppose for those whom would like to understand what is actually being spoken, yeah.....it would be just another language class.

But here's my thing and I said it before previously...

How is this moving forward???

Are we to have an illiteracy appreciation month?

We can shorten it to: I,am ----- "Are you illiterate? I,am" You know because it's nice to be inclusive during illiteracy appreciation month...🙄smh

I can't believe the black community allows such pandering and insults from those that want to "help".🤦🏾‍♂️

🤷🏾‍♂️

posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 03:35 PM
link   
For centuries we have slowly managed to make English what it is. The reason is, that the more it is standardised, the easier it is to understand and express important matters.
Take legalese for example [law-language], it is very convoluted and exact, for good reasons, so that nobody can easily abuse it for loopholes. Are they telling me legalese stays as it is but the person on the ground has to speak like a teenager without education?
If that is the case than it's stupification of the masses. Dumb people who can't communicate in the same way won't be able to speak with each other and share ideas. It will segregate those who love prose and poetry or well written books and those that can only grunt and use made up words because they have never learned how to spell.

In short, they want us all to change to the lowest common denominator.
Sorry, can't do. I love my languages too much. I used to speak 3 fluently but have lost the ability to speak in one of them at the moment due to no use, can still read and understand though.
I will not deliberately dumb myself down for anyone.

As to the changing of languages naturally. Of course they change naturally, that's why we have new words added into the dictionary every year. But slow change isn't the same as forced destruction of something that has slowly evolved.

If a kid is born into an english speaking country, they can bloomin' well learn proper english like everyone else. And if they can't, maybe they need to be in special schools.
edit on 3-9-2020 by Hecate666 because: typos

posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 03:36 PM
link   
It would be rather problematic to have read any article/paper/book that necessitated June Cleaver's translation skills.

posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Add to this, while we're dumbing ourselves so that the Chinese can take over, just wait until Mandarin becomes the language of choice for all business.

If they think standard English is too tough, it has nothing on Chinese. Aside from having to more or less memorize every character, Chinese is also a tonal language which adds a third dimension to learning it that English does not have.

posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 03:50 PM
link   
a reply to: underpass61

If it does, Air Traffic Control will be totally gone to
Schmitt. And it was no bargain getting the point across
in even standard English. I can hear the dialogue NOW...
I'll never fly again if they paid me the fare to sit there.

posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 03:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
Add to this, while we're dumbing ourselves so that the Chinese can take over, just wait until Mandarin becomes the language of choice for all business.

If they think standard English is too tough, it has nothing on Chinese. Aside from having to more or less memorize every character, Chinese is also a tonal language which adds a third dimension to learning it that English does not have.

So true. And as tough as their own language is to learn, the Chinese also make English classes mandatory in their schools. Smart and kind of scary at the same time...

posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 04:02 PM
link   
I think there is a concerted attack on all Western culture and it's been brewing for years. Jordan Peterson talks about how Universities have been one of the driving forces behind these 'cultural changes'. He came into conflict with the gender fluid issue but it's the same sort of narrative.

One would expect the drive towards something like Ebonics would have been spearheaded internationally but it's the American Universities behind it. In fact this whole movement, from gender to race has been fomented by them and has affected all Western cultures.

I don't think anyone can see how this will play out long term but so far nothing good has come of it.

posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 04:17 PM
link   
a reply to: trollz

Nou sé du montré ye kadjin asi.

(We must teach them Cajun Also)
(nous devons leur apprendre le Cajun aussi)

If we are going to culturally consistent, and truly equal. As, linguistically both Ebonics and Cajun are of similar colloquial deviation.

To be MOST fair to ALL black people you must also teach the French variations, especially round Loosianna.
edit on 3-9-2020 by Degradation33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 04:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Gandalf77

What the Chinese have done is written the book on systematic, rote learning. If they were as good at innovation as they are wt rote learning, there would have been no stopping them, but they aren't.

posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 04:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Degradation33

My linguistics professor in college said there were dialects of English in the world where you would recognize none of the words, or darn few, but they were still dialects of English because of how they were grammatically structured. The line you wrote is most likely from one of them.

posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Dat be cray.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join