It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World's largest writing and teaching org demands teachers use Ebonics instead of English

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 07:32 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

That's a good idea. I did make other suggestions to her but not that one. She is very good at her work but, the problem is...just like many...she is scared of retaliation.

Her Grades mean a lot to her (she begged to go to school at 4) and she just wants to keep her "head down" and 'get through" the last semester.

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 07:43 AM
link   
a reply to: misfit312

It's a hard thing to do.

I successfully did it once, but that was in high school with a teacher I knew reasonably well. He assigned us a book to read that still remains the only book I was ever assigned I could not force myself to read and it was clearly one he loved. In the end, I had to write my paper about why I disliked it so much that I couldn't really read it and appreciate it.

It's a scary thing to attempt because it can go down in flames really, really easily.

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 07:57 AM
link   
a reply to: trollz

Bix nood!

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Its also subject matter.

Math problems like, if you have 1 ounce of weed. And will sell it 10 a gram. How much money will you make?

If you 2 hoes turning trucks for 100 every half hour, how much money can you make in 4 hours.

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 10:20 AM
link   
No wonder blacks and cops have so many problems.
Cops can't understand what the hell their saying.a reply to: Bloodworth

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 11:05 AM
link   
You dunn kn...you Dunn kn...you dunn...you....you...you dunn...you...you dunn kn.....YOU DUNN KNOW ME!

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 11:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: bluesman462002
No wonder blacks and cops have so many problems.
Cops can't understand what the hell their saying.a reply to: Bloodworth

Nobody can.

I use to work with this black guy who could not read or write and he would say the funniest stuff.

I would go get pizza and he would say get some of those garlic nuts...meaning knots

Then he would say man that guy is losing it, he is starting to get that old timers disease.
Meaning alzheimers.

The funniest is when they try and spell America names. Cant the dr or birth certificate people tell them they are just making up their own spelling of common names.

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 11:50 AM
link   
ifa reply to: ketsuko

I did make this suggestion to her color me surprised when my 14 yr old chimed in she's already done something similar on a report. She said the author did not like assumptions made about her race then went on to make plenty herself towards others.
My daughter said she argued in her report it wasn't fair for her to make assumptions herself then.

That made me smile. Shes a little intellectual herself. She almost aced her Psats and her teachers love her so it probably makes it easier.

I don't know where they get their love of school from I hated it. Double-edged sword, I guess.
edit on 4-9-2020 by misfit312 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 11:54 AM
link   
a reply to: misfit312

I loved school myself, but I find most everything to be endlessly fascinating. I like learning new things that's why I think it's such a travesty what they're doing to it nowadays. It's nothing like it used to be even back when I was in it.

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 01:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Gandalf77

I was wondering when someone would point that out as a distinct possibility.

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

It's kinda sad that I could read that without any issue what so ever...

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

Well no its considered a dialect of english not seperate from it.

That's literally what I noted in the first sentence. 🤦‍♂️

What I explained is that it should be considered its own language because it meets the criteria. I then proceeded as though it were... because it meets the criteria.

I'm fairly confident it is considered a dialect of English because a combination of political correctness and also it uses English words. Again, it follows it's own syntax and rules of grammar. It is as different as ASL and SEE. ASL and SEE generally use the same signs. What sets them apart? Syntax and grammar rules... and a few other things not relevant to most spoken languages.

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 02:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

I never said they weren't smart.I merely said they lacked innovative ability or creativity.

Let's put it this way - China has always, for thousands of years of its history, been on the cusp of being the major power in the world, but they've never gotten over the hump despite all their might and majesty. There has always been something preventing them from really breaking out.

As you say, it's not work ethic or lack of smarts.

Apologies, I wasn't trying to suggest you were implying they aren't smart. I agree with you: They have been lacking in the innovation area for a while now. Dynastic, Confucian China was a different story. They're credited with, among other things, the four great inventions: papermaking, the compass, gunpowder, and printing (woodblock and moveable type). They took a serious step backwards with communism and the cultural revolution.

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 02:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: misfit312

My daughter is an English Lit Major she has 1 semester left at a University of Michigan Sat Campus. She also has 8 years of French and is in her 2nd yr studying Japanese. She's going to be pretty disappointed when I tell her it was all for nothing. That she should have just listened to all the Street Runners who she went to school with...

Her very first writitng assignment is to participate on a discussion board about how ALL writers are racists. She was really upset.

I warned her it was coming, that they were going to mess with her head. I told her to play with their heads right back. Don't give them anything they can use against you. Make something up, mess with their heads. They do it all the time. Tell them how much you love BLM or something. Dont let them in.

My son flunked out of his Full Scholarship to U of M and now Reddit has totally finished hooking him. Happiest kid ever now blames Me and Trump for his failures at College. His vitriol is insane. Universities have a major role here no doubt here.

After a dig yesterday I realized With Michigans ties so Closely to the Weather Underground it really explains a lot. I think these Black Liberation Fronts that joined up with the White Commies don't realize they are getting played.

First of all, congrats to her. Michigan's a great school, and an English lit degree coupled with all of that language experience will serve her well. Sorry about your son. Sometimes that happens, but I knew folks who took some time, got their mind right, and went back to college. I hope that's in the cards for him.

While I don't know the particulars of the writing assignment, if it's a discussion board about how all writers are racists, I would be willing to bet they're inviting a lively, diverse discussion. It would be unfortunate if someone just wants their opinion fed back to them; sometimes it does happen. My experience with English profs, and even most TAs, is that even when you take a stance they disagree with, if you can support your points and make a cogent argument they'll give you credit for it. The ultimate goal of school, after all, is to teach us HOW to think, not WHAT to think. English happens to be one of those subjects that teaches good critical thinking skills (one of the reasons English majors tend to score highly on the LSATs--right up there with philosophy and math majors).

Again, this stance being promoted by one committee on the CCCC doesn't appear to be mainstream; nor should it be considered the views of a university as a whole. There will always be fringy, controversial movements in academia. With English, for example, certain schools of critical theory come in and out of vogue--e.g., Marxist theory. Paranoid grad students stayed up all night chain-smoking cigarettes and looking for examples of socio-economic repression by the bourgeoisie class in literature. By the time I got to college that was all passe, and new historicism and poststructuralism were in.

Conversely, many of my friends in college were engineering majors and tended to be pretty conservative, as did many of the engineering profs. But that didn't make our university conservative. It's true that some schools do have a reputation for being more liberal--Berzerkely, Evergreen, etc. But some schools have a rep for being more conservative as well--the service academies, for example.

At the end of the day, the goal should still be to learn how to think, not what to think. And there will always be profs you disagree with. Sometimes it's the views of those profs that end up teaching us the most because they challenge our thinking and broaden our minds.
edit on 4-9-2020 by Gandalf77 because: Typo

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 05:00 PM
link   
This was an issue back when I was in high school, more than 40 years ago.

Slang changes rapidly especially among the lesser educated. So any slang language that is taught would immediately be outdated and no longer relevant.

Also, if you teach people slang, then they will not be able to read conventional language. This cuts them off from anything that is written in English.

I think that things like this article don't really consider the ramifications of keeping a class of people from learning the language of their country.

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 05:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse

originally posted by: Trueman
Just when I started making progress with my written English.

I'm a guy with double accent and already sound weird.

Nobody will understand me if I speak Ebonics.

Everyone needs to be taught to talk like a Yooper, that will keep people confused for ten years and help to stop all this political crap.

EEHH!

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 06:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: darepairman

originally posted by: rickymouse

originally posted by: Trueman
Just when I started making progress with my written English.

I'm a guy with double accent and already sound weird.

Nobody will understand me if I speak Ebonics.

Everyone needs to be taught to talk like a Yooper, that will keep people confused for ten years and help to stop all this political crap.

EEHH!

Ohh, I see Ya got your Yooper cap on

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 06:31 PM
link   
“The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their proper name.” - Confucius
but hey, if pronouns are flexible, why not just let everyone use what ever words they want in all categories.

I suppose all the concepts that are not in the Ebonic dictionary are just made up anyway.
edit on 0000009063496America/Chicago04 by rom12345 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 09:15 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

heheheheheheheheheh

posted on Sep, 5 2020 @ 09:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
How does one say, "Ree" in Ebonics?

"DeLaQuesshaRee-dasha"

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join