It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World's largest writing and teaching org demands teachers use Ebonics instead of English

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 07:30 PM
link   
a reply to: trollz

Interestingly, while many people including scholars consider Black English Vernacular, or BEV, an English dialect it actually meets the criteria as an actual language apart from English.

My mother who is published in the Library of Congress with an unrelated title involving linguistics researched BEV extensively. What is more interesting is that it is rooted in Western African language. I'm not certain as to which country or if there is a specific country.

BEV follows its own syntax and rules of grammar which are not at all English. The only thing BEV has in common with English are the words themselves which incidentally often carry different denotations than in English.

As for using BEV rather than English I believe it is slightly more ignorant and potentially racist for the virtue signaling left to claim BEV is THE black language. In doing so they unwittingly echo Biden's claim that Black Americans aren't diverse. Not all Black Americans are from Africa let alone western Africa.

They are also probably failing to distinguish ebonics, the actual dialect, from BEV.

Also, we are generally united by one common language which is English. I have no problem with people using BEV, Spanish, French, or anything else. I do think using one main language in professional settings is important.

posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 07:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa
a reply to: Gandalf77

Oh it was just l33t speak.

It’s all me man. I’m allergic to numbers.

posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 08:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: MichiganSwampBuck
I want to know what happened to Esperanto? I think that died soon after it was invented.

ETA: Damn! You Muthafakahs say some fahnee-az cheit!

Esperanto has been around for over 100 years. It was invented in 1887 to try to make a language al coud learn to create world peace. It was created by a Polish ophthalmologist his name was L. L. Zamenhof. He believed if countries could communicate better wars would end.

Bedaŭrinde li eraris konsiderante ĉiujn batalojn de tiam.

posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 08:48 PM
link   

I never said they weren't smart.I merely said they lacked innovative ability or creativity.

Let's put it this way - China has always, for thousands of years of its history, been on the cusp of being the major power in the world, but they've never gotten over the hump despite all their might and majesty. There has always been something preventing them from really breaking out.

As you say, it's not work ethic or lack of smarts.

posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Teachers develop and teach Black Linguistic Consciousness that works to decolonize the mind (and/or) language, unlearn white supremacy, and unravel anti-Black linguistic racism!

I've read a lot of pseudo-scientific mumbo jumbo in my time, but this just about takes the cake. Yes maybe British colonization has something to do with the prevalence of the English language, but that doesn't make the language its self racist. English will most likely become a universal global language at some point in the future because it's the main language of computers, it's what programming languages use, it's the primary language used in scientific research, and the English language its self is quite well designed, at least more so than the majority of languages. English letters are simple and easy to remember, words sound the way they are spelled for the most part, it's easy to conceptualize and describe complex abstract concepts, etc.

The people making these suggestions surely cannot be any type of real academics because they clearly don't have the slightest clue of how the real world actually works. It sounds to me like they think black students are inherently too stupid or otherwise incapable of learning the proper English language like everyone else. This SJW nonsense has gone so far off the deep end they completely fail to see how they've become so obsessed with race, to the point where they are clearly acting in racist ways. All they can see is skin color, nothing else, everything about a person is summed up by their skin color in the eyes of these wanna be intellectuals. Get off the damn pedestal and come back down to Earth.
edit on 3/9/2020 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 08:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: trollz
The Conference on College Composition & Communication is the largest organization in the world that is dedicated to writing and teaching. They've posted a list of demands on their website, which include calls for teachers to stop using standard English, and instead to teach "black language", or ebonics (they use the word ebonics themselves on the same page these demands are listed).
According to them, English is a racist white-supremacist construct that was invented to suppress the "black language", and teachers should not penalize black students for their usage of language and grammar.
I find it funny how one of their demands is to address how "anti-blackness" is "endemic to how language functions".

Here are some of their demands:

We DEMAND that:

Teachers stop using academic language and standard English as the accepted communicative norm, which reflects White Mainstream English!

...We must teach Black students about anti-Black linguistic racism and white linguistic supremacy!

Teachers develop and teach Black Linguistic Consciousness that works to decolonize the mind (and/or) language, unlearn white supremacy, and unravel anti-Black linguistic racism!

Teachers and researchers acknowledge that socially constructed terms such as academic language and standard English are false and entrenched in notions of white supremacy

Teachers acknowledge and celebrate Black students’ use of Black Language in all its linguistic and cultural glory.

Teachers stop policing Black students’ language practices and penalizing them for using it

Teachers stop promoting and privileging White Mainstream English

Researchers, scholars, educators, school/district/national leaders, administrators, and activists address anti-Blackness as endemic to how language functions

Teachers engage their students in “Black linguistic consciousness-raising

Teachers, researchers, and scholars put some respeck on Black Language

Teachers respeck Black thought and how that thought manifests in Black speech

Source

I think what this is is an intentional encouragement of what those encouraging it know will lead to a long-term further divide between blacks and everyone else by making them collectively look like fools, such as by encouraging them to misspell words like "respeck" while simultaneously discouraging teachers from correcting them. I'm willing to bet any money that the people behind these demands had no intention of supporting blacks, but rather are doing this as an underhanded attempt to undermine them among society.

There are six names in the mix, nothing like the twenty members of the the Executive Committee of that organisation alone...and they are all elected, and there is no information here that the Conference on College Composition & Communication is going to endorse what is probably a bloc proposal....we'll see, but not from the information re; this thread.

posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 09:08 PM
link   
a reply to: filthyphilanthropist

Well no its considered a dialect of english not seperate from it. in fact the oficial title is African American Vernacular English. So if you see AAVE thats ebonics. Its actually easier than english slang tends to be because speakers are not taught what rules exist and it can change from area to area. For example east coast is different then west coast in pronunciations and even meaning.

posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 09:38 PM
link   

CCCC currently has about 6000 members.[citation needed]

en.wikipedia.org...

I don't think their demands will be met.

posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 09:42 PM
link   
What if your native language isn’t English ?

posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 10:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

This lady in the movie Airplane spoke to the Black guys in "Jive". Is that similar to "Ebonics"?

That was Barbara Billingsly, better known as June Cleaver...Beaver’s mom on Leave it to Beaver. That’s a great scene from Airplane—-made funnier by her well known persona as the prim housewife on Leave it to Beaver.

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 02:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: MichiganSwampBuck

I want to know what happened to Esperanto? I think that died soon after it was invented.

Omg......That stirred up memories, my best friend learned Esperanto at

commercial college. I don't think she ever had a use for it after that.

And she is dead now
.......same as the language.

I wonder how many on ATS ever learned it? As my friend was the only person

I ever knew who had learned that language!

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 03:16 AM
link   
The language by which the laws, the trade & the sciences of a nation are most voluminously written at this point in history, during a time in which our knowledge is the most extensive the modern world has ever known, should remain the standard for general academic activities & the instruction of children through to university level, to the PhD stage.

Any attempt to supplant the natural language of a large body of people when the natural language is used across many cultures for the same purpose everywhere (having nothing to do with historical antecedent standards of behaviour practiced by our forebears) have failed & will likely always fail. But the attempt to change it may prove ridiculously costly, wasting a great deal of time, energy, finance & the peaceful existence of the modern citizens living largely in a time of order & plenty.

Ebonics sounds like an even more devastatingly bad idea than Esperanto. It would be utterly foolish for the group in question to genuinely seek a change, because if nothing else, the achievements of the students forced to garble their way through studies in Ebonics will be forever undermined because most people will see their qualifications to have been nothing more than a way of gaming the system by underhanded means, using it as a tool of political chicanery.

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 03:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlyInTheOintment

Ebonics sounds like an even more devastatingly bad idea than Esperanto. It would be utterly foolish for the group in question to genuinely seek a change, because if nothing else, the achievements of the students forced to garble their way through studies in Ebonics will be forever undermined because most people will see their qualifications to have been nothing more than a way of gaming the system by underhanded means, using it as a tool of political chicanery.

Ebonics is being pushed by movements like BLM. NOT for equality reasons

but for advantage in the manner of what you said.......

"As a gaming of the system by underhanded means....A tool of political chicanery"

They don't want EQUALITY ...... They want ADVANTAGE.

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 04:53 AM
link   
Well, at the end of the day, if someone goes in for a job interview and they cannot speak understandable English then they won't get the job.

The motivators of and fanatics of Ebonics want to embed disadvantage and promote cultural dissimilarity, as this improves their control of that group. Nothing about Ebonics even touches on "the common good".

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 06:06 AM
link   
Thanks to the replies on Esperanto. I had no idea it was around that long and that people actually still spoke it. I remember there was a lot of talk about it in the 70s and figured it was some hippy age liberal deal that fell flat.

I'd like to teach the world to sing (Sing with me) In perfect harmony (Perfect harmony)
I'd like to buy the world a Coke And keep it company (That's the real thing)

I'd like to teach the world to sing (What the world wants today) In perfect harmony (Perfect harmony)
And I'd like to buy the world a Coke And keep it company (It's the real thing)

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 07:02 AM
link   
At the end of the day which is more impressive to someone who is doing a job interview:

1. The candidate who is well dressed, on time, answers intelligently and on point in professional English.

2. The candidate who does all of the above, but clearly is not a native English speaker. However, it's clear they've taken great pains to know the language well enough to be able to do the above.

3. The candidate who is well dressed, on time, and speaks street vernacular, country slang, or any other dialect of American English rather speaking proper English while answering.

I guarantee you that 1 and 2 will likely get more consideration in most situations.

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 07:18 AM
link   

My daughter is an English Lit Major she has 1 semester left at a University of Michigan Sat Campus. She also has 8 years of French and is in her 2nd yr studying Japanese. She's going to be pretty disappointed when I tell her it was all for nothing. That she should have just listened to all the Street Runners who she went to school with...

Her very first writitng assignment is to participate on a discussion board about how ALL writers are racists. She was really upset.

I warned her it was coming, that they were going to mess with her head. I told her to play with their heads right back. Don't give them anything they can use against you. Make something up, mess with their heads. They do it all the time. Tell them how much you love BLM or something. Dont let them in.

My son flunked out of his Full Scholarship to U of M and now Reddit has totally finished hooking him. Happiest kid ever now blames Me and Trump for his failures at College. His vitriol is insane. Universities have a major role here no doubt here.

After a dig yesterday I realized With Michigans ties so Closely to the Weather Underground it really explains a lot. I think these Black Liberation Fronts that joined up with the White Commies don't realize they are getting played.

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 07:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi
Well, at the end of the day, if someone goes in for a job interview and they cannot speak understandable English then they won't get the job.

The motivators of and fanatics of Ebonics want to embed disadvantage and promote cultural dissimilarity, as this improves their control of that group. Nothing about Ebonics even touches on "the common good".

True.....

But that gives the motivators and fanatics the bullets to fire the BLM gun.

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 07:23 AM
link   
a reply to: misfit312

I wonder what would happen if your daughter flipped the script. If ALL writers are racist, that means that the black ones are too.

If she's really, really good, she might be able to get away with going there using their own language and methods against them.

posted on Sep, 4 2020 @ 07:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
At the end of the day which is more impressive to someone who is doing a job interview:

1. The candidate who is well dressed, on time, answers intelligently and on point in professional English.
2. The candidate who does all of the above, but clearly is not a native English speaker. However, it's clear they've taken great pains to know the language well enough to be able to do the above.
3. The candidate who is well dressed, on time, and speaks street vernacular, country slang, or any other dialect of American English rather speaking proper English while answering.

I guarantee you that 1 and 2 will likely get more consideration in most situations.

That gives no.3 when asked why he didn't get the job the ability to reply:

"Cos I is black"
more grist to the mill

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join