It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World's largest writing and teaching org demands teachers use Ebonics instead of English

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+22 more 
posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 11:28 AM
link   
The Conference on College Composition & Communication is the largest organization in the world that is dedicated to writing and teaching. They've posted a list of demands on their website, which include calls for teachers to stop using standard English, and instead to teach "black language", or ebonics (they use the word ebonics themselves on the same page these demands are listed).
According to them, English is a racist white-supremacist construct that was invented to suppress the "black language", and teachers should not penalize black students for their usage of language and grammar.
I find it funny how one of their demands is to address how "anti-blackness" is "endemic to how language functions".

Here are some of their demands:

We DEMAND that:

Teachers stop using academic language and standard English as the accepted communicative norm, which reflects White Mainstream English!

...We must teach Black students about anti-Black linguistic racism and white linguistic supremacy!

Teachers develop and teach Black Linguistic Consciousness that works to decolonize the mind (and/or) language, unlearn white supremacy, and unravel anti-Black linguistic racism!

Teachers and researchers acknowledge that socially constructed terms such as academic language and standard English are false and entrenched in notions of white supremacy

Teachers acknowledge and celebrate Black students’ use of Black Language in all its linguistic and cultural glory.

Teachers stop policing Black students’ language practices and penalizing them for using it

Teachers stop promoting and privileging White Mainstream English

Researchers, scholars, educators, school/district/national leaders, administrators, and activists address anti-Blackness as endemic to how language functions

Teachers engage their students in “Black linguistic consciousness-raising

Teachers, researchers, and scholars put some respeck on Black Language

Teachers respeck Black thought and how that thought manifests in Black speech

Source

I think what this is is an intentional encouragement of what those encouraging it know will lead to a long-term further divide between blacks and everyone else by making them collectively look like fools, such as by encouraging them to misspell words like "respeck" while simultaneously discouraging teachers from correcting them. I'm willing to bet any money that the people behind these demands had no intention of supporting blacks, but rather are doing this as an underhanded attempt to undermine them among society.

edit on 9/3/2020 by trollz because: (no reason given)

edit on 9/3/2020 by trollz because: (no reason given)

+10 more 
posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Sounds racist.

Sorry.

Yo homie, dat straight fire G. Whitey taken dings waaaaay tooth far, ya dig?

+10 more 
posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 11:32 AM
link   
a reply to: trollz

English is a racist white-supremacist construct that was invented to suppress the "black language"

William Shakespeare put hundreds of new words into The English Language.

I don't think he wanted to suppress anything, he just wanted to write plays.

+3 more 
posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 11:36 AM
link   

I once saw a bumper sticker that read:
'Ax me 'bout ebonics'

It was about 20 years ago, in a midwestern city.

+57 more 
posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Ebonics is a racist black-supremacist construct that was invented to suppress the English language.

+14 more 
posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Awwww. How woke, they even capitalized black and not white.

posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 11:39 AM
link   
what you talkin bout willis?

posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 11:44 AM
link   
language is a dynamic with its changes over the generations. There are many local variations as well, even among a standard dialect like English. If Ebonics wish to add their vocabulary to the international standards like Russia or Chinese, that fine. I expect there is a lot of work involved in establishing it's translation with other languages.

+10 more 
posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 11:44 AM
link   
I'm confused, why don't black people just use and learn English like everyone else. I just had a look at 'Ebonics on Google for some examples. It's absolutely dreadful and in my opinion nothing more than lazy slang developed over time.

edit on 3-9-2020 by midicon because: (no reason given)

+9 more 
posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 11:46 AM
link   
How does one say, "Ree" in Ebonics?

posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I could never learn how to spell.

posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 11:53 AM
link   
a reply to: midicon

I'm confused, why don't black people just use and learn English like everyone else.

In Africa, they have been invaded and exploited by all kinds of foreigners, not just English, but Spain, France, Russia, Middle East and others. As a result, the language that has developed is a mix of all these influences with their native traditions.

Perhaps if we where not such idiots when over there there would be more respect and support for English. It is a tough place. I don't know?

+17 more 
posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Seems like every time I turn around there is something else to suppress the whites. All these things like white privilege, white supremacy, white language, white man bad...what the hell is next?

+8 more 
posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 11:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Night Star

Seems like every time I turn around there is something else to suppress the whites. All these things like white privilege, white supremacy, white language, white man bad...what the hell is next?

White extinction.

posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Just when I started making progress with my written English.

I'm a guy with double accent and already sound weird.

Nobody will understand me if I speak Ebonics.

posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 12:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: midicon
I'm confused, why don't black people just use and learn English like everyone else. I just had a look at 'Ebonics on Google for some examples. It's absolutely dreadful and in my opinion nothing more than lazy slang developed over time.

From what I see on Television a large part of the language is yo and the F word

posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Well, the most populous race in the world is asian by far.

I think matter can neither be created nor destroyed, and it seems the same can be told about the negative human emotions.
If an emotion survives a generation it has not completely disappeared. So if whites ever become a minority due to technological advances that cause global immigration, etc, or whatever, over say 200-500 years, the cycle will just repeat itself on the other side. Anyone with something to say has just about always said it. It parallels too similarly; we are all human after all. Just one of those things that you can realize that if human behavior doesnt change it will be faced with this obstacle once again.

In a population of 8 billion; I cant find any statistics worth a damn on google, but it seems there may be under 1 billion white people in the world.

It's just sticky, in jest, and someone is always willing to lay claim to it.
edit on 3-9-2020 by akiros because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 12:16 PM
link   
The Black people do not like it when we try to talk like them....it is an insult towards blacks for white people to try to mimic their style of talking. I have heard a black man cuss out a white guy who was talking like the black do quite a few years ago, it almost turned into a fist fight. Their dialect is part of their culture, we should not try to mimic it.

posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 12:19 PM
link   

This lady in the movie Airplane spoke to the Black guys in "Jive". Is that similar to "Ebonics"?

posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Damn, and I finally just learned how to speak Jive fluently.

Hey... knock a self a pro, Slick! That gray matter backlot perform us DOWN, I take TCB-in', man!

<<   2  3  4 >>

join