It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World's largest writing and teaching org demands teachers use Ebonics instead of English

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Clicks and whistles....

posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 01:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
Clicks and whistles....

funny, all I hear is "Derp".

posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 01:20 PM
link   
"Ree, yo."

originally posted by: DBCowboy
How does one say, "Ree" in Ebonics?

posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 01:21 PM
link   

We DEMAND that:

teachers and researchers acknowledge that socially constructed terms such as academic language and standard English are false and entrenched in notions of white supremacy and whiteness that contribute to anti-Black linguistic racism.

They want teachers and scholars to ADMIT and ACCEPT that there is NO academic language and that there is NO STANDARD ENGLISH. AND they must ADMIT and ACCEPT that such terms and concepts are RACIST. So you understand, they are calling it evil to oppose the REMOVAL of STANDARD ENGLISH.

Does this sound like a reasonable argument about genuine concerns for racism to you or a political attack on our culture?

teachers STOP telling Black students that they have to “learn standard English to be successful because that’s just the way it is in the real world.” No, that’s not just the way it is; that’s anti-Black linguistic racism. Do we use this same fallacious, racist rhetoric with white students? Will using White Mainstream English prevent Black students from being judged and treated unfairly based solely on the color of their skin? Make it make sense.

So they are racist.They believe Black children are stupid and cannot learn to speak properly! They are saying “they are stupid, leave them alone!” They view (or claim to view) the idea of better educating Black children as racist. So DON’T help them, and actually stop educating our own children!

teachers reject negative perceptions of Black Language and no longer use racist linguistic ideologies that perpetuate hate, shaming, and the spirit murdering (Johnson et al., 2017) of Black students.

So don’t speak proper English. We have ta talk like we ain’t smart I guess.

teachers and researchers reject anti-Black linguistic racism as a way to describe the deficit positioning of Black students’ use of Black Language.

So don’t use proper English to describe how Black people talk? Awful obsessive over racial stuff, aren’t they. But ultimately this is all an attack on education itself.

teachers acknowledge and celebrate Black students’ use of Black Language in all its linguistic and cultural glory.

Encourage them to talk the way Black rappers do (who are by and large upper class, educated men who dress up and act like ‘badass backstreet punks’ as their shtick (to entertain, NOT to educate anyone.) This sheer ignorance is to be “celebrated.”

teachers and educational researchers champion linguistic justice (Baker-Bell, 2020).

So they must HELP ATTACK (character assassinate as “RACIST”) anyone who disagrees. You will join the MOB or be brought down BY the mob.

So what do you think? Genuine racial concern or a blatant attack on democratic culture and society, using the label of “racism” to frighten everyone into submission? Seems pretty obvious to me.

These deceitful, heartless con artists at least have the guts to be named for this vile propaganda:

The members of this committee include:

April Baker-Bell, Chair, Michigan State University
Bonnie J. Williams-Farrier, California State University (Fullerton)
Davena Jackson, Boston University
Lamar Johnson, Michigan State University
Carmen Kynard, Texas Christian University
Teaira McMurtry, University of Alabama at Birmingham

posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I think what this is is an intentional encouragement of what those encouraging it know will lead to a long-term further divide between blacks and everyone else by making them collectively look like fools, such as by encouraging them to misspell words like "respeck" while simultaneously discouraging teachers from correcting them. I'm willing to bet any money that the people behind these demands had no intention of supporting blacks, but rather are doing this as an underhanded attempt to undermine them among society.

posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 01:24 PM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

English in general has always been adaptable, but my point stands - many of those words are common in English. I was not going to presume to speak for British English speakers because I know your version has different words than ours and different spellings.

The point is that we are not Spanish which has a language council that attempts to keep the language pure.

posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 01:31 PM
link   
While I'm not familiar with this particular organization, it doesn't take much research into the origins of the English language to see that their fundamental assumptions are completely bunk. There is nothing 'anti-Black endemic to how language functions.'

"Ebonics" and other dialects mentioned in this thread certainly have their place in pop culture, creative writing, film scripts, even poetry. And yes, language is dynamic and evolves, and there has been an effort in academic circles to adopt more inclusive language over the years--gender-neutral terms, etc. (the whole PC thing, basically). But what they're suggesting here is so completely over the top it could have been published in The Onion.

posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 01:32 PM
link   
a reply to: midicon

One of the problems I see with this issue is that it comes in the wake of all the other things going on at the moment.

No need to stress over this one. Language is a slowly evolving thing, it will work its way out eventually. For those that want to promote Ebonics, good on them. Everyone should feel proud with their own culture. There is a lot of effort in translating things, not everyone can do it. Misunderstandings are a common cause of conflict.

It takes a lot of work, if some of these more common works that are shared internationally can be translated to more cultures, cool.

With all the rubbish going on in Western media and other institutions I am not surprised some Africans want to drop English. Toxic to ones head and body. There is a lot of good stuff too with English, heaps of science, technology, trade and different fields of research all around the world.

For those communities that do choose to to drop English, it will makes things harder when working with them in the future. Perhaps some want it that way with all they have been through?

posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Dammit, I was trying to get ahead of the curve by learning Boomhauer, then they switch it up to Ebonics? Back to the drawing board...

posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 01:46 PM
link   
It will be clothing next. Then tanning salons will be banned. Then marriages between whites, can't be giving birth to more white supremacists. God help me I'm shockingly white! Thankfully there is none of that nonsense here where I live but I can feel it coming.

posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 01:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse

originally posted by: Trueman
Just when I started making progress with my written English.

I'm a guy with double accent and already sound weird.

Nobody will understand me if I speak Ebonics.

Everyone needs to be taught to talk like a Yooper, that will keep people confused for ten years and help to stop all this political crap.

All I know about Yooper is they have a nice 7 course meal.

A pasty and a six pack.

posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 02:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: RickinVa
From the source:

teachers respeck Black thought and how that thought manifests in Black speech and writing. That is, it might not sound like you desire it to, but remember, it sounds real right, regardless of unrelenting white supremacist socialization.

I would suggest that they attempt to master the English language first.

Repeck? LOL LOL LOL

They have my respeck!!!

Lol, what a bunch of dummies, no thanks! whats next..gang hand signs?

posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 02:06 PM
link   
a reply to: kwakakev

When I go home, I speak "country". When I'm in the office, I speak proper English. I write it too. It's not that hard to keep the two separate. And it shouldn't be that hard for blacks to figure out. One if a dialect for home, friends, and family, and the other is for formal work situations.

They aren't special.

posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I have a song for them....

posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

When I was a kid my friend's mom had relatives visit from somewhere in hillbilly country and her speech completely changed. I was amazed, it didn't even sound like the same person.

posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 02:18 PM
link   
It is as if they think the movie idioacracy was an instruction manual.

2 min. Scene from the movie describes this latest development to a T.

youtu.be...

Welcome to 2020 in America folks. The idiots have taken over.

posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 02:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
a reply to: trollz

This lady in the movie Airplane spoke to the Black guys in "Jive". Is that similar to "Ebonics"?

S'mofo butter layin' me to da' BONE! Jackin' me up... tight me! (I ate something that is making my insides cramp up. And need some meds)

I hope this doesn't take hold in schools. That won't make anything better. Imagine a sh't ton of white kids running around talking like that. It will backfire pretty bad.

Forcing Ebonics or any other way of talking in a curriculum is quite a racist thing to do and should be a huge insult to everyone. These teachers are mentally gone.

posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 02:34 PM
link   
a reply to: NoCorruptionAllowed

A nation of gangsta rappers lol

posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Ironically enough, what they're calling for could be seen as perpetuating and legitimizing racial caricatures and stereotypes.

posted on Sep, 3 2020 @ 02:46 PM
link   
All in fun

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join