It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atlanta Police Chief resigns after Black Man shot

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2020 @ 11:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

It’s a good thing air is free.. 🤦‍♂️

Don’t quit your day job hero. 👍

posted on Jun, 13 2020 @ 11:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bicent

It’s a good thing air is free.. 🤦‍♂️

Don’t quit your day job hero. 👍

Anything factual, pertinent or even loosely related to something I've said here or the actual topic of discussion?

2nd.
edit on 13-6-2020 by Gryphon66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2020 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Breaking:

Officer who shot Brooks has been fired.

12: 30 a.m.

New video released by Atlanta Police shows police talking with Brooks for 27 minutes before they try to handcuff him and the scuffle ensues. Both of the APD bodycams end up on the pavement before the shooting.

12:21 a.m.

Atlanta Police Spokesman Carlos Campos confirmed to ABC News early Sunday morning that the officer who shot Brooks has been fired. The officer has been identified as Garrett Rolfe. The other officer, Devin Bronsan, has been placed on administrative duty.

Rolfe has been with APD since 2013.

WSB

posted on Jun, 13 2020 @ 11:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: notquiteright
She shouldn't have bowed down to that. The person resisted arrest, reached for the cops taser, and then ran. Racist outcome? Or result of his behavior?

Wouldn't this be what everyone is protesting? We have a problem around the country of police not knowing the proper level of engagement and more importantly how to deescalate that engagement. In every case it is a failure on one or both areas.

This guy is sleeping in his car drunk, they pull him out and he refuses a Breathalyzer and runs..... The taser didn't work so the cop shoots him at 20+ feet away as he is trying to get away, and kills him.

Why not let him go....they have his car, driver license, name, address etc. They could have just went by his house that night or the next day and arrested him on any number of charges to include DUI.

Was he escaping as a risk to the police or others? No
Did he just commit a violent felony? No

This is what all this is about, its not about being racist, its about reacting in a lethal way when people do not instantly respect their authority.

posted on Jun, 13 2020 @ 11:49 PM
link   

I'm telling you I know, gangsters and real killers NEVER fight with cops.

I am all for BLM in theory but they need to expand why these cop and citizen fights so often end in a killing. It's not ALWAYS race.

Maybe most of the time it is but not always.

It has to be a holistic investigation and race is an integral element of that but not the only one.

Our society is plagued with many ills of a psychological nature that were missing in this police brutality concern.

Never been to Atlanta and don't know the street rap on those cops. NYC and Jersey I know these cops well and they are rough.

Just in April cops from 4 different jurisdictions had a gunfight with a guy on rt 46-80. He was killed. www.northjersey.com...

posted on Jun, 13 2020 @ 11:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

Then it was DUI. I had read earlier he was lying in the restaurant parking lot.

Thanks for the update.

posted on Jun, 13 2020 @ 11:51 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

Not relaxing at all.. Some might say downright stressful!

I think the answer to your question goes back to you mentioning a sickness running through society. Im not sure its reasonable to expect cops to somehow be capable of truly rising above a fundamentally "broken" society.

So, its a bit more abstract, but the answers may lie there.

Our brains tend to focus on negative interactions and stimuli, and we have built massive communications platforms that exploit this and incentivize it further. A couple decades ago, we might have a single negative interaction or experience that ruins our day. Now? We can literally line them up all day, every day.

I genuinely believe many of our issues run right back to that. I believe its used as a means to an end, but even if it isnt.. I think its clear that the combo of a constant "news" deluge and sites like twitter take a simple tendency to focus on the negative and turn it into an outright addiction.

posted on Jun, 13 2020 @ 11:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

Of course it's not always race. It's the willingness to kill.

On the other hand, not everytime but overall, I understand the Black community's reaction. As we see here, the answer for some is always "the police had the right to kill him." Sometimes, it doesn't matter if they had the legal justification.

The bigger issue for me personally is seeing the steps we're taking as a society to a greater and greater police state.

As things are going, this is not going to end well for any of us.

posted on Jun, 13 2020 @ 11:54 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Hell, I had "that talk" with my kids, way out here in the sticks.

My son was driving home one evening with a truck full of roll insulation I had bought. The local yokel pulled him over. We both opened the doors, slowly stepped out with our hands visible, and waited for the cop. He yelled at us to get back in the truck, which we did. Turns out it was the one cop around here who was known for harassing kids. I saw the look on his face when this old man stepped out the passenger side... he knew his fun was over.

He still tried to intimidate my son, telling him that he was driving without the required lights (which was incorrect... we had two instead of three brake lights, but the law only requires one here). I just shrugged and told him we'd fix it... I could have argued with him, but why? We both knew the law and we both knew he was bluffing. Get out of the situation intact and handle it from a better vantage later if need be. People do get beat down around here, and usually because they start arguing with or fighting the cops. That opens the door for Resisting Arrest, and from there the cop has all the power.

Incidentally, I forgot that was another suggestion I heard... Resisting Arrest could not be a primary charge. It had to be secondary to an initial charge that allowed arrest and would be dropped automatically if the initial charge was dropped or one was acquitted.

Anyway, I had that talk with my son on the way home that evening. We still joke about the time he got pulled over for DWI (Driving While Insulated). He's had a couple minor issues (traffic stuff) but never anything serious, thank God.

It's not a black inner city problem. It's an everyone problem.

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 13 2020 @ 11:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

In the news report I just linked from WSB in Atlanta, apparenlty, they had him on the ground for around 20 minutes, they tried to arrest him, and the struggle ensued culminating in his death.

Somehow both officers body cams also ended up on the pavement.

The officer who shot him has been fired. That could be pandering, but more than likely, there's more here than we know.

posted on Jun, 13 2020 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Tell you what- hand a .45 with a round in chamber (tasers are “ready to go” while carried on duty) to a four year old, and set him 30 ft away.

It’s safe, right? I mean, firearms are actually really hard to use, requiring training to aim, and discharge. I doubt the four year old has the dexterity to be of any real threat, right? I mean, there’s no worries at all... right?
edit on 13/6/2020 by ThouArtGod because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2020 @ 11:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

Thanks for the update.

They are saying the initial call was that he was sleeping in the fast food parking lot.

posted on Jun, 13 2020 @ 11:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: ThouArtGod

Tell you what- hand a .45 with a round in chamber (tasers are “ready to go” while carried on duty) to a four year old, and set him 30 ft away.

It’s safe, right? I mean, firearms are actually really hard to use, requiring training to aim, and discharge. I doubt the four year old has the dexterity to be of any real threat, right? I mean, there’s no worry’s at all... right?

That's an odd response. Just theoretically, I'd say the relative risk would depend on the make and model and age of the .45, and the kid's strength and development. Probably not a good idea in general.

I was asking about using the tazer, as you seemed to know what you were talking about. My mistake.

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 12:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

originally posted by: Gryphon66

Thanks for the update.

They are saying the initial call was that he was sleeping in the fast food parking lot.

He obviously drove to get there I guess. Still.

Seems like a stupid situation, all the way round.

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 12:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Serdgiam

I believe Twitter... at least the open threats against the cops that are allowed to exist on it and other social media... are a huge part of the problem. The news sensationalizing that stuff doesn't help either. A cop today probably feels his life is in danger from the time he wakes up until he passes out at night.

It is an issue of respect, but respect is a two-way street. If one wants respect, one must give respect. Too many people openly disrespect the cops then complain when the cops have no respect for them.

Anyway, I see the fire is out, the idiot mayor fired the cop before there was even an investigation (due process lawsuit incoming), and it's been a trying day. I'll say good night for now, check a few other threads, and I am going to try and practice dreaming.

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 12:05 AM
link   

We've been in a police state for decades already, IMO.

What we hear in the news is a distortion of reality.

Cops have rousted black folks with impunity for decades. It's nothing new. Finally, they're dealing with it. But what’s new is people fighting cops on the street.

Its usually some petty criminal, never a real criminal. They have sense enough to know it’s a losing proposition fighting a cop.

Many of these killings they need to exam the mind of the person that fights a cop or cops. And in an unjust killing exam the cop.

They won't do that because they're afraid of being called out.

But if we don’t get to the reason these young men are playing Rambo with trained killers then we'll probably never solve this stuff.

Its a lot about the lonely, alienated young person in the wilderness of North America roaming the streets, usually aimless and doing petty crimes.

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 12:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

Can't argue with a single bit of that.

So much of this just seems like a waste of life.

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 12:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Granby
a reply to: hounddoghowlie

what about hands that are at a distance and running?

Keep with your justifications. Your mind is made up and it is people like you that is part of the problem.

Tasers are non lethal weapons.
At least thats what the police claim all the time.

This was another murder.

You are an ignorant fool.

Here is what happens if the cop gets hit by the taser, he loses all muscle control for several seconds - meaning he can’t defend himself. Meaning the dude who tases him can easily grab his gun and shoot him.

This was one hundred percent a valid shooting.

You cannot expect cops to take chances with their lives because their might be some blowback.

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Don’t be a smart ass. My response was meant to highlight the risks inherent to all dischargeable weapons- yes, there was a risk, and the results of that percentage would mean a great deal to the officers and local civilians.

Tasers suck. I’ve had them used on me in training. I argue against their use in almost any situation, as they should only be a last resort against people who wield melee weapons and refuse to submit. They are not a replacement for firearms, nor are the “non-lethal”.

posted on Jun, 14 2020 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Whatever.

Based on several reports (one linked here) tasers have been decreasing in reliability for several years:

Since 2015, the Los Angeles Police Department's own data showed that its Tasers were less effective than the previous model, subduing suspects little more than half the time. Yet the LAPD officials neglected to investigate the problem — and then they bought thousands more Tasers.

Failure rate is apparently around 55%

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join