It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atlanta Police Chief resigns after Black Man shot

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2020 @ 10:57 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

Oh, now that would be horrific tragedy ... if the taser fire from the running man to the cop caused the cop to fire his weapon.

posted on Jun, 13 2020 @ 10:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck
a reply to: Serdgiam
Require that police be hired from within the area they patrol.

Psychological evaluations of all cops before they are hired, and at two-year intervals thereafter.

Yes!

I particularly like these two, specifically the bolded part. I have to imagine being a cop can really screw someone up. They see a lot of horrible things.

Getting back to the actual core matter is imperative.

We need to hijack the corporate-political signal, because I dont really see many actually walking away from their drug of choice (media/twitter/facebook). And, any government involvement is.. tricky.

It should be clear at this point that these media outlets, social media platforms like twitter, and many corporations are outright hostile to the public. And, they have convinced far too many that this hostility is "love and support." Or, at the very least, benign.

The digital veil they have pulled over all of our eyes is one of the biggest factors in all of this.. Yet so, so many keep tuning in.

posted on Jun, 13 2020 @ 10:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: ElectricUniverse

originally posted by: Gryphon66

You fail to see a good bit these days, in my opinion.

That last bit is beneath even you. Do you wish to discuss the topic rationally or not?

You are the one not trying to discuss this rationally... You keep ignoring facts that several of us have been trying to let you know about. Instead you ignore the facts and keep lying as well as keep on trying to incite hatred, and even violence against the police officers...

Well, thanks for repeating your unsubstantiated opinion about my posting style again. I haven't ignored anything from you or anyone else. You, and other posters, seem to feel that it's okay for LEOs to use lethal force anytime anywhere.

My position, clearly stated, is that yes, this situation is not an execution style killing by cop (as Floyd's death was, as many other deaths have been) but it was exercising what I consider to be very poor judgement on the part of the officers.

It's fine to disagree with me. It's silly to claim that I'm inciting violence against cops and White People.

That's just pure political narrative as someone claimed earlier. Out of place here.

posted on Jun, 13 2020 @ 10:59 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

How about no White police officers working predominantly Black neighborhoods?

That's the idea about hiring only from within the beat. Black neighborhood = black cops. White neighborhood = white cops. Purple neighborhood = purple cops. Plus, more people will actually know the cops personally.

I was actually amazed to hear that a lot of departments hire from outside their jurisdiction. That seems... wrong.

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 13 2020 @ 11:00 PM
link   

a reply to: ElectricUniverse

Actually, an object in one's hand may or may not fall depending on the musculature at the time of impact. The taser hit could also cause the tazed individual to fire a gun if he were carrying one. Impossible to predict.

TheRedneck

But still after you are tased you are very weak, at which point the criminal could have taken the gun and shot at the officer/s.

Look at what happened in this incident in 2019.

After a long fight against three police officers, the perpetrator was able to get one of the tasers from the officers and tased all three police officers. Thankfully the perpetrator ran instead of taking the gun from any of the officers. This incident could have gone much worse and all three officers could have been killed.

Video: Suspect Uses Police Taser On 3 Officers During Brooklyn Robbery

posted on Jun, 13 2020 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Alternatively, have a small unit of officers whose job is to specifically become acquainted with the local leaders of each neighborhood: religious leaders, teachers/principles, business owners, community center leaders - basically the ones who interact with people on a social scale. Those officers' jobs are to be there, be present, be available and become part of the community as much as possible.

posted on Jun, 13 2020 @ 11:05 PM
link   
It's a privilege to be able to judge dynamic situations that could easily turn into deadly force encounters in a split second for any of the parties involved from behind the safety of a keyboard with 20/20 hindsight vision.

posted on Jun, 13 2020 @ 11:06 PM
link   

I particularly like these two, specifically the bolded part. I have to imagine being a cop can really screw someone up. They see a lot of horrible things.

It only makes sense to me.

As a truck driver, an occupation where drug use was known to be an issue causing accidents, I had to pass a drug screening every time I hired on with a company, every time there was a DOT-reportable accident, and at random intervals throughout my career. It was a hassle, yes, but I also understood why it was deemed necessary. I was in control of an 80,000 pound bullet.

A police officer is empowered with awesome authority over the people within his/her jurisdiction. It is only right that with that increased authority comes increased scrutiny, especially psychological scrutiny where split-second life-and-death decisions are commonplace.

TheRedneck

link   
Officer candidates and trainees are in short supply.

link   
I saw that line about hiring police from within the neighborhood, and assigning them to work that neighborhood.

In some neighborhoods, Officer Jones would not arrest Timmy for Burglary, because Jones is a friend of Timmy's dad.

Or, if Officer Jones did arrest Timmy, Officer Jones would be "punished" by people in the neighborhood in some way.

link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Alternatively, have a small unit of officers whose job is to specifically become acquainted with the local leaders of each neighborhood: religious leaders, teachers/principles, business owners, community center leaders - basically the ones who interact with people on a social scale. Those officers' jobs are to be there, be present, be available and become part of the community as much as possible.

That already happens. I have been in several City Hall meetings, in 3 different cities, and have witnessed first hand how in every meeting there were always some police officers whom discussed what was going around the neighborhood with leaders in the communities/cities.

posted on Jun, 13 2020 @ 11:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Most agencies have what you describe. Community police units.

They encompass community service officers, school resource officers, citizen academies, etc.

Events are held routinely.

Of course we are now seeing those programs being eliminated by the same politicians who say the police need to reach out to communities...

Ending these programs will continue as the defund the police movement picks up steam.

denverite.com... hools/

reason.com...

laist.com...

posted on Jun, 13 2020 @ 11:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI
Officer candidates and trainees are in short supply.

Lots of police officers are leaving, and many more are thinking of leaving and taking some other job/s after they have witnessed how the left-wing media, and even left-wing leaders decided to abandon them and sold them out. If this continues we are going to see a lack of police officers in any democrat city/state that decides to not back up our LEOs.

posted on Jun, 13 2020 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Yes, after one is tazed, one is very weak. That's because while one is being tazed, one is exerting all the energy they have. During the tazing, a person experiences tremendous strength; they just can't control it.

That''s actually a side effect of the tazing. The primary effect is that the nerves are stunned and take a few moments to react to normal levels of stimuli again. The secondary effect is that the muscles just gave everything they had for a split second.

Incidentally, that overstimulation of the muscles is why some people can exhibit superhuman strength while on certain drugs.

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 13 2020 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Currently peaceful protest but the Wendy’s is burning down

posted on Jun, 13 2020 @ 11:12 PM
link   
The mayor of Chicago wants police officers to be "licensed". The police union says "hell no!". Many professionals are licensed. I wonder what licensing a police officer would entail?

posted on Jun, 13 2020 @ 11:13 PM
link   

It only makes sense to me.

As a truck driver, an occupation where drug use was known to be an issue causing accidents, I had to pass a drug screening every time I hired on with a company, every time there was a DOT-reportable accident, and at random intervals throughout my career.

When I was a police officer I had to take both random and yearly drug tests.

I took a polygraph when I entered the academy, when I got hired on at my first agency, and again when I transferred to another agency (after 9 years with my first agency).

posted on Jun, 13 2020 @ 11:13 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

If you ask me, that should be the intent of every officer, not just a select few. If I am stopped by a cop I know and who knows me, the chances of the stop becoming hazardous are massively decreased.

Enforcing the law does not negate being a part of the community as well.

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 13 2020 @ 11:15 PM
link   

South Florida SWAT team resigned yesterday, after their police chief "kneeled" with those protesting the police.

www.kiro7.com...

posted on Jun, 13 2020 @ 11:15 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Police officers are licensed. I personally don't know of any states that allow a non-licensed/certified person to work as a police officer.

I had to obtain my state certification to be able to work anywhere in my state.
edit on 13-6-2020 by TorqueyThePig because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join