It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Watching people prepare for Covid-19

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2020 @ 03:05 PM
link   
It is very important to have enough toilet paper in the house. The box of tissues on the back of our toilet are for emergency use only, they will clog the toilet if you use too much of them to wipe your butt.

I am a firm believer in stocking toilet paper and also having some of that stock where you can reach it from the toilet. That is my wife's job, I do the firewood, and take care of the snow, she is responsible for making sure toilet paper is always available.

The hand sanitizers are probably worse for you than this virus is.

Stock food in your home to last a minimum of three weeks. That is my recommendation. Make sure you stock what you usually eat, not a bunch of stuff you will never use. You will be surprised how much you can save by stocking the supplies to make things you normally make, and time too. The trips to the store every time you want to cook something can cost a lot in extra gas and you are paying full price for something you could have got a lot cheaper on sale.

Our food pantry has paid itself off two or three times over the years, one of the main savings is reducing impulse buying. We shop about twice a week now most weeks and plan ahead for our meals. We buy sixty percent of all of our stuff on sales these days, it saves a real lot of money. I don't regret our new system at all, we save so much gas and miles on the cars. It costs about three bucks to run into town to go to the store, now we rarely make a special trip to town, before we did that every day, it was rare that we did not go to the store for something, or we had nothing and went out to eat, which was way more expensive. Missing an onion to make something, so you go blow twenty five bucks in a restaurant. All doped up from the restaurant food and don't even stop to get onions on the way home. Been there done that, we could have retired five years earlier if we had not eaten out for twenty years, we spent more eating out each month than we spent on our house payment. You cook at home in the winter, the furnace runs less too.

posted on Mar, 9 2020 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Considering the staggering amounts of food that we throw away daily in not only America but across the globe, I really do not see food shortages occurring. Perhaps delivery issues but the most average household has canned goods and other types of food like rice and pastas on the back shelf which never sees daylight much less consumed in daily meals, that not many would starve.

Perhaps lose a few pounds with much of the American population needing to lose a bunch. Farms are known for allowing crops to rot because prices are too low to cover their cost. I worked for a Veterans organization and we worked hard to find donations of not only fresh food we could prepare but also food already prepared for sale but did not. Most of our Veteran client’s were a part of the homeless communities or otherwise disadvantaged.

We would when allowed collect prepared food from businesses you would know, fast food like chicken, but often those businesses would refuse to provide the hot food they were throwing away, to include all the sides, even though we were licensed and had facilities that would serve it the same day. Some were just plain jerks and refused, others concerned over the health and food regulations which we followed, and in some of the communities we operated in outlawed serving these types of donations.

The amounts that we picked up hot and stored hot until served was absurd. One chicken location would dispose daily 3 to 4 hundred pounds of prepared chicken. Nothing wrong with it, just went unsold and tossed casually in the garbage. Some managers worked with us against their corporate policies and other managers defied corporate policies in favor of their own ignorance and would deliberately spoil hundreds of pounds of food just to keep from those they felt did not deserve it.

This virus is virulent and spreads quickly but the amount of chicken littles screaming it’s over is just ridiculous. Take care of yourself and those close and it will eventually burn itself out. If more outright panic sets in as some seem to want, it will make it worse than it has to be, with much of the issues coming from half cocked idiots.

posted on Mar, 9 2020 @ 03:17 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

following tonights trip to tesco [ the biggest UK spermarket chain ]

i was going to do a thread - but spotted this - so ...................

yup - my " local " tesco - a 5 min walk as i only needed sme fresh veg and a bottle of wine for supper

has almost completely run out of toilet paper

unreal

and as ATS member " jajstrom " points oit

thats the ONLY shortage in this store

wet tined soops and dried soup packets

tinned meats - inc SPAM and cured tineed hamm / pork / chicken

tinned curries etc etc

pasta , rice

bottled waters

fresh and long life fruit juice [ something i need to re-stock - as i has one in fridge - one fresh in freezer - and no long life in my pantry

milk - long life and fresh

breakfast ceareals - cornflakes etc etc

all - fully stocked shelves

if people dont eat - dont they realise - they will stop needing tolet paper in 4 to 6 days

my fellow townsfolks have gone mad

posted on Mar, 9 2020 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Only thing that annoys me is IPA Isopropyl alcohol has shot up.

1ltr cost me £4.99
now its
1ltr £24.99

Only wanted it to clean my pc.

Got to love scummy dealings.

posted on Mar, 9 2020 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I have allergies and probably use more toilet paper to blow my nose than to wipe.

Either way it never goes bad and is easy enough to store.

I don’t understand why people are so worried and judgemental about what other people do. I guess it makes them feel superior or something.
edit on 9-3-2020 by Deny Arrogance because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-3-2020 by Deny Arrogance because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2020 @ 03:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
I had to go to 3 places today just to get a pack of those throw away masks....
No , not for concern , I use them while cleaning the cat pan .
I am pissed.

Right, as a winter project, I promised my wife I would have the attic roughed out, plus canister lighting below.
I simply want/ need the masks so I don’t inhale insulation fibers.

I’m using damp hand kerchiefs right now.

posted on Mar, 9 2020 @ 03:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Oaktree

I am pissed.

Right, as a winter project, I promised my wife I would have the attic roughed out, plus canister lighting below.
I simply want/ need the masks so I don’t inhale insulation fibers.

I’m using damp hand kerchiefs right now.

So you know where I am coming from...

posted on Mar, 9 2020 @ 03:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Fisherr

that sucks - have you tried prices at a genuine building based chemical reagants wholesale warehouse ?

i just dod a 100l order [ 25 l * 4 ]

and cracking deal

before anyone asks - is a " std " oder anout ever 18 months - and split between 8 people

i always buy it - and yuse the same wholsale meachant - who is a warehouse - not online - so i gets a good deal - and no silly questions

posted on Mar, 9 2020 @ 03:48 PM
link   
The apparent world/wide run on TP is hard to fathom.

With all those “preppers” stocking up on canned and preserved food, I would think that Laxatives will be the most sought after commodity during the “siege”, as it were.

“Slow going” over the next few months it seems.
edit on 9-3-2020 by Bhadhidar because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2020 @ 03:55 PM
link   

I am pissed.

My wife uses those as well. Usually the Dollar Tree and Dollar General stores carry 3 and 10 packs of the "dust masks" that work pretty well.

posted on Mar, 9 2020 @ 04:14 PM
link   
I always have enough beer and meat for a few weeks. I'm good. I have about 10 large garbage bags full of clothes to take to a donation bin if TP becomes unobtainable.

posted on Mar, 9 2020 @ 04:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: JON666

originally posted by: visitedbythem
About a month ago, I felt stupid for having all of my 401K money in a stable value account. I don't feel so stupid now

Not long ago people raised eyebrows when I told them I had 4 freezers full of food, solar/ battery bank, barrels of water, and probably over 1000 lbs of dry food. They thought I was stupid for stockpiling food, guns, ammo, gold and silver, and growing my own vegetables.

I wonder what they think now?

May I ask why you have gold and silver? I have a cow to eat your out of food I can eat my cow can you eat your gold and silver? Why shpuld I trade something I can eat for something I cant eat?

U think that but when you want to sell your cows milk that is going bad bye the hr and the only person around to sell it to dosent want to trade food what are you going to do dump it on the ground find out what happens when you drink 3 gallons of milk in a day

Or perhaps people will trade in gold silver and lead I'm going with gold silver and lead will always be valuable
edit on 9-3-2020 by markovian because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2020 @ 04:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Middleoftheroad
For all those freaking out about the CoronaVirus, here is a link to the cure:

www.cvs.com...

Well, dang! You just need to send that link to all the countries and get them to buy a bottle! Then this whole coronovirus nonsense can end finally. It's that simple!

posted on Mar, 9 2020 @ 04:28 PM
link   

What’s really funny is if it was as critical mass of a problem then the “Covid Militias” roving the countryside to enforce quarantine curfews under the strictest of conditions would Comstock the toilet paper and sanitizer hoards for redistribution among the masses.

People never think things through and stop at prepping and go straight to hoarding.

posted on Mar, 9 2020 @ 04:29 PM
link   

I hear you. I live on an island in the Caribbean in which all our supplies arrive on a (hopefully) weekly barge. This time of year, we might go a couple weeks without. No worries. Back in December, I started upping our TP, because my Darlin' has specific TP requirements. Plus, we had dipped below our hurricane prep level of a minimum of 50 rolls. So, I began getting just a little more every week.

I encourage people to stock up on those items they choose to not live without. Just that simple. I encouraged my Mom to buy extra Poise pads. (I know, I know, TMI). Way back in the SARS scare era, I bought a couple dozen M95s. I have no plans to use them, but it doesn't hurt having them, nor the nitrile gloves.

My Darlin' and me are survivalists, and we make no apology. We are in the zone of the most Atlantic/Caribbean hurricanes. At any given point in the year, we have enough food to survive (not thrive) for a year. We have no plans to do anything differently, other than to avoid contracting either the seasonal flu or CoVid. I feel confident in our own immune systems. I worry about our elders.

posted on Mar, 9 2020 @ 04:34 PM
link   

....because...
..........uhhhh...sand and gravel is really not an alternative...
..............for me, I mean ...

....but hey! ...free country....

That's what those leftist activists are all about with "pro-choice", right ???

edit on 9-3-2020 by M5xaz because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2020 @ 04:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Deny Arrogance

I don’t understand why people are so worried and judgemental about what other people do. I guess it makes them feel superior or something.

I'm not worried about it, but I do find it absolutely humorous. I also think a GIGANTIC chunk of the population needs a reality check about survival and what is most important.

Little tip for everyone. Get a cheap bidet. It hooks to your toilet and will do a great job cleaning you off. Your tp consumption will go down significantl (Just a bit is required to dry) If you run out you can also drip dry if necessary.

If the shtf, all us old people will use two trusty old standby's, Leaves & regular paper or newspaper. Just remember leaves of three let them be

edit on 9-3-2020 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-3-2020 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2020 @ 04:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
Forget water, canned meat, canned foods, electrolyte drinks, long shelf life items, or even medicine. Yep, toilet paper and hand sanitizer.

You forgot firearms and ammunition. I can easily obtain all of the above with the two I mentioned.

posted on Mar, 9 2020 @ 04:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
I bought 2 bottles of bourbon last week instead of just 1.

Thanks for stocking up for me, I'll be over to collect it when the zombies start roaming.

posted on Mar, 9 2020 @ 04:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: markovian

originally posted by: JON666

originally posted by: visitedbythem
About a month ago, I felt stupid for having all of my 401K money in a stable value account. I don't feel so stupid now

Not long ago people raised eyebrows when I told them I had 4 freezers full of food, solar/ battery bank, barrels of water, and probably over 1000 lbs of dry food. They thought I was stupid for stockpiling food, guns, ammo, gold and silver, and growing my own vegetables.

I wonder what they think now?

May I ask why you have gold and silver? I have a cow to eat your out of food I can eat my cow can you eat your gold and silver? Why shpuld I trade something I can eat for something I cant eat?

U think that but when you want to sell your cows milk that is going bad bye the hr and the only person around to sell it to dosent want to trade food what are you going to do dump it on the ground find out what happens when you drink 3 gallons of milk in a day

Or perhaps people will trade in gold silver and lead I'm going with gold silver and lead will always be valuable

Milk doesn’t go bad; it becomes cheese, if you’re smart.

And the excess whey from the cheese-making process can be used to water and feed crops.

A good farmer wastes nothing.

ETA:

Italy has just placed the whole country on lockdown.

Momma Mia!

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join