It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Watching people prepare for Covid-19

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2020 @ 06:49 PM
link   
The rush for TP shows how many Americans don't use a bidet.

I have two hand held ones and they're quick, incredibly efficient and even refreshing. So clean your mom would eat desert off it.

Instead many American are walking around with some of the dirtiest cracks on the planet while wasting hand over fist on TP.

posted on Mar, 9 2020 @ 07:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Fallingdown

People laugh about stockpiling toilet paper .

But picture this .

It’s 90° there’s no electricity and your stuck in the house for two months with the wife and your mother-in-law.

True, in a pinch you can stuff your ears to relieve some of the pain!

posted on Mar, 9 2020 @ 07:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: visitedbythem

originally posted by: JON666

About a month ago, I felt stupid for having all of my 401K money in a stable value account. I don't feel so stupid now

Not long ago people raised eyebrows when I told them I had 4 freezers full of food, solar/ battery bank, barrels of water, and probably over 1000 lbs of dry food. They thought I was stupid for stockpiling food, guns, ammo, gold and silver, and growing my own vegetables.

I wonder what they think now?

May I ask why you have gold and silver? I have a cow to eat your out of food I can eat my cow can you eat your gold and silver? Why shpuld I trade something I can eat for something I cant eat?

I have plenty of cow, pig, chicken, lamb, crab, scallops, lobster tail, and all kinds of fish. I have between 1000 and 2000 lbs, all kinds of frozen veggies, and fruit, and fruit and gardens of vegetables and tubers. I have solar to run my 4 freezers if the grid shuts down, and rivers to draw water, and carbon filters to purify it.
Enjoy your cow

Hopefully ypu have plenty of protection in situations like this raiders will be rampant and many with government training will survive and spme will become raisers it always happens when society breaks down look at the great depression and back to the raiding parties of the civil war. We are a dog eat dog entities and when it gets bad enough we become dogs history has proven this over and over. Stay safe.

My ammo safe is so full with assorted rounds, 22, 38S, 357, 45, 50 mag, 12 gauge 00, and slugs. Plywood to cover the downstairs front window, and 2 very large Halon fire extinguishers, and a pitbull to back me up. Also multiple large pepper spray cannisters. I might be ok!

Are you mentally able, right frame of mind to use what you have in a life or death situation? Are you able to go full on kill or be killed if necessary?

posted on Mar, 9 2020 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Breaking news. A new link has been found in the chain that spreads Coronavirus.

mobile.twitter.com...

posted on Mar, 9 2020 @ 08:19 PM
link   

About a month ago, I felt stupid for having all of my 401K money in a stable value account. I don't feel so stupid now

Not long ago people raised eyebrows when I told them I had 4 freezers full of food, solar/ battery bank, barrels of water, and probably over 1000 lbs of dry food. They thought I was stupid for stockpiling food, guns, ammo, gold and silver, and growing my own vegetables.

Where do you live again.

posted on Mar, 9 2020 @ 09:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker

originally posted by: Gothmog
I had to go to 3 places today just to get a pack of those throw away masks....
No , not for concern , I use them while cleaning the cat pan .
I am pissed.

My wife uses those as well. Usually the Dollar Tree and Dollar General stores carry 3 and 10 packs of the "dust masks" that work pretty well.

The Dollar Tree was where I wound up finding them.
And then the shelf was almost empty .

posted on Mar, 9 2020 @ 09:16 PM
link   

May I ask why you have gold and silver? I have a cow to eat your out of food I can eat my cow can you eat your gold and silver? Why shpuld I trade something I can eat for something I cant eat?

I have plenty of cow, pig, chicken, lamb, crab, scallops, lobster tail, and all kinds of fish. I have between 1000 and 2000 lbs, all kinds of frozen veggies, and fruit, and fruit and gardens of vegetables and tubers. I have solar to run my 4 freezers if the grid shuts down, and rivers to draw water, and carbon filters to purify it.
Enjoy your cow

Hopefully ypu have plenty of protection in situations like this raiders will be rampant and many with government training will survive and spme will become raisers it always happens when society breaks down look at the great depression and back to the raiding parties of the civil war. We are a dog eat dog entities and when it gets bad enough we become dogs history has proven this over and over. Stay safe.

My ammo safe is so full with assorted rounds, 22, 38S, 357, 45, 50 mag, 12 gauge 00, and slugs. Plywood to cover the downstairs front window, and 2 very large Halon fire extinguishers, and a pitbull to back me up. Also multiple large pepper spray cannisters. I might be ok!

Are you mentally able, right frame of mind to use what you have in a life or death situation? Are you able to go full on kill or be killed if necessary?

Ill know when I get there

posted on Mar, 9 2020 @ 09:29 PM
link   

I hear this all of the time.

I believe it is the short sidedness of some people. Maybe you only see one way it will be, maybe we, us with gold and silver, prep for other means and ways also.

Maybe the disaster isnt a global killer. Maybe the grass hasn't grown and your cow died from lack of grazing in a pasture that is no longer green, because the rain didnt happen? Now you are knawing on old cow bones because you didnt think ahead for other means of barter and trade. Because the economy tanked because OPEC killed the Petro industry. The stock market collapse and the business you worked at shut down because they quarantined it from the coronavirus.

Just sayin, that's all

posted on Mar, 9 2020 @ 09:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
Watching people prepare for Covid-19 might be the weirdest thing I've ever seen in all my years on this earth.

I am amazed that people find that toilet paper is the most valuable item, followed closely by hand sanitizer.

Forget water, canned meat, canned foods, electrolyte drinks, long shelf life items, or even medicine. Yep, toilet paper and hand sanitizer.
I didn't realize that there is a deep seated fear that people have, that they will not have toilet paper to wipe.
Are we that far removed from true survival that this is what people think is most important?

I think hand sanitizer is great in a pinch, but it is both unhealthy and not better than good ol' soap and water.
From what I've seen, most places have not had utilities turned off.

In addition to tp and hand sanitizer, people have gone crazy for face masks. I find it really weird that people feel 1000000% with a face mask on, but leave their big ol' eyeballs totally unprotected.

Although I think this virus is terrible, I think the silver lining in this is that people are starting to realize how dependent they are on daily luxuries. The preppers don't seem so nuts now do they?????!!!!!

Edit to add: My dad started teaching me survival tactics at age 7, I truly think this was the most valuable gift a parent can teach a child.

Some people have never had to use a sock or shirt on the side of the road and it shows.

originally posted by: Bluntone22
a reply to: JAGStorm

I was at home depot last week and the guy mixing my paint said that someone came in and bought all the respirators they had on the shelf.

Too funny especially since this virus is not airborne...

The day the CDC made their big announcement a woman came in to the Home Depot I work at and bought ALL of our masks. The next few days we sold out of our 3M half face rubber respirators and P100 cartridges.

The ironic thing is that no one bought face shields which probably wouod have been better, and no one bought goggles which have also been spread about as being needed since there has been talk it can affect through the eyes.

People don't want to buy them, because they would look dumb walking around with face shields.

We actually got a shipment in of 3M fiber masks and half face rubber respirators in, but we're only putting out a couple of boxes at a time to prevent a few people from buying all of them.

We also still have toilet paper. It's the HDX brand, but whatever.

posted on Mar, 9 2020 @ 09:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
I had to go to 3 places today just to get a pack of those throw away masks....
No , not for concern , I use them while cleaning the cat pan .
I am pissed.

Yeah, I feel for the people who actually need them for work. I have guys who come in to buy them, because they work with insulation, and similar materials and they've been having to work withoutany protection.

This is what happens when people freak out. The masks aren't going to do them a darn bit of good, but the good that it wouod do for people who need them won't be available.

posted on Mar, 9 2020 @ 09:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Trueman

originally posted by: Bluntone22

I was at home depot last week and the guy mixing my paint said that someone came in and bought all the respirators they had on the shelf.

Too funny especially since this virus is not airborne...

Maybe he's a professional painter/contractor and he was buying them for his business.

I've been telling "professionals" to go to PPG or Sherwin-Williams. It's funny when these "professionals" have never heard of an actual paint store.

posted on Mar, 9 2020 @ 09:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fallingdown
a reply to: visitedbythem

I hate to say it because everyone else is so sure.

But I’m still not sure this is going to become anything huge .

I totally hear ya.

Being "totally sure" is not my yardstick.

Here's the one that I use:

"What's the price of being wrong?"

posted on Mar, 9 2020 @ 09:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
It is very important to have enough toilet paper in the house. The box of tissues on the back of our toilet are for emergency use only, they will clog the toilet if you use too much of them to wipe your butt.

I am a firm believer in stocking toilet paper and also having some of that stock where you can reach it from the toilet. That is my wife's job, I do the firewood, and take care of the snow, she is responsible for making sure toilet paper is always available.

The hand sanitizers are probably worse for you than this virus is.

Stock food in your home to last a minimum of three weeks. That is my recommendation. Make sure you stock what you usually eat, not a bunch of stuff you will never use. You will be surprised how much you can save by stocking the supplies to make things you normally make, and time too. The trips to the store every time you want to cook something can cost a lot in extra gas and you are paying full price for something you could have got a lot cheaper on sale.

Our food pantry has paid itself off two or three times over the years, one of the main savings is reducing impulse buying. We shop about twice a week now most weeks and plan ahead for our meals. We buy sixty percent of all of our stuff on sales these days, it saves a real lot of money. I don't regret our new system at all, we save so much gas and miles on the cars. It costs about three bucks to run into town to go to the store, now we rarely make a special trip to town, before we did that every day, it was rare that we did not go to the store for something, or we had nothing and went out to eat, which was way more expensive. Missing an onion to make something, so you go blow twenty five bucks in a restaurant. All doped up from the restaurant food and don't even stop to get onions on the way home. Been there done that, we could have retired five years earlier if we had not eaten out for twenty years, we spent more eating out each month than we spent on our house payment. You cook at home in the winter, the furnace runs less too.

I'm a firm believer of pissing on trees, and squatting behind bushes, and when time permits digging holes in the ground as poop receptacles to fill in when done. But what do I know?

posted on Mar, 9 2020 @ 09:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
As a halfassed futurist, I have a prediction. People will have to carry their own toilet paper around with them when out and about, because all the public facilities won't have any.

future invention, a despenser for a roll that you can hang on you belt or purse strap. And a very hip way to accessories that nice outfit.

New slang expression..."hey bro, you solid with a fold or two"

And soon to follow....TP crime!!

it's a brave new world....

Funny you mention it. I already carry around my own wipes in my daily portable bugout bag (it's a small back pack I've essentially turned into an overnight bag. Socks, underwear, toothpaste and toothbrush, toiletry stuff, etc.) And yes, I actually do wewr a back oack wherever I go, it also provides space to store things since I don't like carrying a bunch of things in my pockets.

My car is essentially a bigger bug out bag with me being able to use it as a sleeper. I can actually camp out using my car if I wanted to.

posted on Mar, 9 2020 @ 09:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: FredT

originally posted by: Fallingdown
I don’t know one person that is prepping in any serious way .

Now on toilet paper .

The black ink on newspapers bleeds through and don’t use the glossy pages . 😁

Most people who prep are prepped. Alot of the panic IMHO are those that have nothing prepared and now are reflexively overreacting.. A neighbor bought (I @#$% you not...ha ha humor ar ar ) basically 20 Costco sized cased of TP. Good god they are a family of 4 so they will be good till 2025

That or like most wasteful people, they'll just use more than they need and waste it all.

posted on Mar, 9 2020 @ 10:08 PM
link   
I have about 144 rolls, a CBRN 40mm gas mask and am 3D printing canisters to fill with activated carbon, zeolite, carbon filter and pillow stuffing.
Is it for me? No, it's so I can care for elderly family and my SO who is sickly.

posted on Mar, 9 2020 @ 10:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Graysen

What can you do besides panic ? We have zero control at this point . The only thing left is pearl clutching .

edit on 10-3-2020 by Fallingdown because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2020 @ 10:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Middleoftheroad
For all those freaking out about the CoronaVirus, here is a link to the cure:

www.cvs.com...

Edit to fix:
I do see honey on that list.

edit on 3/9/2020 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2020 @ 10:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Fallingdown

I don’t wanna get sick thou. 😡

posted on Mar, 9 2020 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Watching people prepare for the end of the world is pretty entertaining..

As specially the hipsters, millennials and general city folks..!!

Watching people beat the crap out of each other for a pack of toilet roll, seeing people spend everything they have on the essentials (TP and Hand sanitizer)..

It's actually useful to watch them because if gives you an idea of who will or won't be alive (besides the obvious first victims of the apocalypse), after two weeks when the S#@t really does someday hit the fan..

I say let the virus do its thing.. It'll clean out the genepool quite significantly.

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join