It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Corona Virus Updates Part 2

page: 98
<< 95  96  97    99  100  101 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2020 @ 01:14 PM
link   
a reply to: checkmeout

Shouldn’t be, advice I’ve seen to nhs via skynews , bbc France 24 reports is anyone presenting with symptoms and history of travel should be quarantined immediately

posted on Feb, 6 2020 @ 01:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

originally posted by: misfit312
Pangolin as a potential intermediate host

Original title: South China Agricultural University finds pangolin as a potential intermediate host for a new coronavirus

At 1 am on February 7th, South China Agricultural University announced on its official WeChat: South China Agricultural University, Lingnan Modern Agricultural Science and Technology Guangdong Provincial Laboratory, Professor Shen Yongyi, Professor Xiao Lihua and other researchers jointly with the PLA Academy of Military Medical The latest research conducted by researcher Yang Ruizhang and senior veterinary surgeon Chen Wu from the Guangzhou Zoo Scientific Research Department showed that pangolins are potential intermediate hosts for the new coronavirus. 

They are hunted in Asia to eat and for their scales.
Their diet is exclusively insectivorous.
I wonder where they would pick the virus up?

Bats are insectivores as well, yet they are among the largest carriers of zootopic diseases on the planet.

link   
a reply to: butcherguy

That actually reminds me of an old post-apocalyptic series called "Jeremiah".

link   

originally posted by: RubyRogue
Nice article

originally posted by: Jay-morris
The strange thing about this virus, is it's not really effecting children, and they not know why exactly.

interesting article about it.

Almost targeted to the older and males of Chinese/SE Asian decent with 1 death in Philly and 565 in China. Depopulation by accident or were China planning to do it anyway in the future.

posted on Feb, 6 2020 @ 01:17 PM
link   
a reply to: TruthJava

Apologies if someone else has said this as I haven't caught up on all the pages since you wrote this, but I've been wondering the same about the people that flew in the the UK and being quarantined up north. They seem to have had 1 spokesperson within that group who literally just showed the cameras his bedroom, pool table etc... other than that no idea if they're showing any symptoms, what they experienced out there or if the rumours are true. They arent saying ANYTHING about Wuhan..good or bad. The lack of anecdotal evidence from those that we KNOW were out there is screaming at me.. and it's very disconcerting

posted on Feb, 6 2020 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: TickettyBoo

I’ve family that have for a year a trip planned in April to China, specifically Hubei province!, tbh I personally wouldn’t even consider it but everyone has to make their own choice based on how they feel, tbh I think by early March we will know which way it’s going can’t change our lives until we know more imo

posted on Feb, 6 2020 @ 01:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

originally posted by: Jay-morris
The strange thing about this virus, is it's not really effecting children, and they not know why exactly.

interesting article about it.

qz.com...

There are two reasons older adults are more susceptible to infections. First, seniors are more likely to have other chronic health conditions, like diabetes or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, that make it harder for their bodies to cope with damage caused by a new pathogen. Every year, the majority of flu deaths are seen in people 65 or older.

Second, the immune system changes with age—particularly in its ability to respond to coronaviruses. Unlike the flu virus, which does most of the damage to your body on its own, most of the symptoms from coronavirus infections actually come from the body’s immune response, Menachery says. Although he and his lab team are still characterizing these reactions, it seems like coronaviruses encourage older immune systems to kick in with extra inflammation, which can have a cascading effect.

Unlike the flu, which has higher fatality rates in both young children and older adults, coronaviruses tend to only be more dangerous for seniors. In a paper published on Jan. 29, scientists writing in the New England Journal of Medicine recorded 0 cases of 2019-nCoV in children 15 and under. This doesn’t mean that children are immune to the virus, but they may be better at fighting it off if they’re otherwise healthy.

These scientists seem to know why it's hitting adults harder than it's hitting kids.

Cheers for that. Makes sense.

posted on Feb, 6 2020 @ 01:23 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 6 2020 @ 01:25 PM
link   
a reply to: BowBells

Said similar yesterday sky news reported at start U.K. gov as looking for 2000 people that flew back from China, then yesterday reported that the tested some 360ish and working on 250ish didn’t mention looking for the remaining. 1435 which I did post to skynews asking about but as yet no answer from them on if it’s their error reporting or U.K. foreign office “mistake”
As I said then 1435 people running around they were looking for should be a fairly large concern!
edit on 6-2-2020 by Adphil28 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2020 @ 01:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

No one really knows.

At this point, one scenario is as likely as another, but my personal rule of thumb is never attribute to mankind what mother nature can easily do on her own. Truthfully, all the ingredients exist in China for this type of thing to cook itself up without needing a BSL4 lab in the area to accidentally let it slip.

Watch the final flashback of the movie Contagion where you see the bat fly over the pig pen and drop what it was eating where the pig presumably scavenges it. Then the chef prepping the pig sticks his hand in its mouth and without washing them, shakes hands with Gwynneth Paltrow's character.

That is a fairly accurate representation of the chain of infection with this type of thing, and China is one of the places in the world that sets it up nicely. Culturally, the Chinese will eat about anything for either culinary or traditional medicine reasons, so they are constantly exposed to lots of what they call "bush meat" in Africa (incidentally, it causes the same issues there). The Chinese also have a thing for freshness such that they want to see the animal slaughtered right there in front of them further increasing the exposure to blood and other animal body fluids.

Add in the high populations of both people and domestic livestock needed to feed them, mix in the exotic animals, and you have lots of zoonotic infectious potential.

Yeah, I watched a video recently showing the wet markets in China. All these little stalls with people selling every sort of live animal, dead animal, vegetables, whatever, and as best I could tell, not a one had any facility for washing their hands. Forget antiseptics, just not even soap and water. Even customers walking by handling something in one stall, then handling stuff in the next stall. I can't think of a better environment for a contagion to go nuclear on us.

So IF something escaped from the lab in Wuhan and got to a wet market there, then that pathogen just got passed into "hog heaven" for it.

posted on Feb, 6 2020 @ 01:38 PM
link   
a reply to: TruthSeeker73Uk

Half way through this topic lost the joy of reading such topics on ATS because of certain people and their manner to those with maybe less educated opinions but trying to learn and engage in a discussion without condescending smart asses. Shame, thought ATS was showing hints of what it was.....

This is an extremely confronting topic. Try not to be too hard on those coming to terms with it. Denial is a common self defense mechanism. Anger generally follows when people do start to wake up. Getting to acceptance takes time and understanding. A lot of fear wrapped up in this one and a big part of why such a strong push to maintain social order at the cost of true reporting.

posted on Feb, 6 2020 @ 01:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

originally posted by: butcherguy

originally posted by: misfit312
Pangolin as a potential intermediate host

Original title: South China Agricultural University finds pangolin as a potential intermediate host for a new coronavirus

At 1 am on February 7th, South China Agricultural University announced on its official WeChat: South China Agricultural University, Lingnan Modern Agricultural Science and Technology Guangdong Provincial Laboratory, Professor Shen Yongyi, Professor Xiao Lihua and other researchers jointly with the PLA Academy of Military Medical The latest research conducted by researcher Yang Ruizhang and senior veterinary surgeon Chen Wu from the Guangzhou Zoo Scientific Research Department showed that pangolins are potential intermediate hosts for the new coronavirus. 

They are hunted in Asia to eat and for their scales.
Their diet is exclusively insectivorous.
I wonder where they would pick the virus up?

Bats are insectivores as well, yet they are among the largest carriers of zootopic diseases on the planet.

Maybe we should start looking at insects as the primary corona virus reservoir.

posted on Feb, 6 2020 @ 01:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Rich Z

The handling stuff and not cleaning hands
, just think of those touch screen terminals we all use for tickets, info, ordering, signing for amazon, dhl stuff!, does anyone wash hands after that?

posted on Feb, 6 2020 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Found this just slightly curious - Posted 11/15/2019
Hiring -
Careers at CDC - Public Health Advisor (Quarantine Program)

JOB SUMMARY:
Serves as a project representative for a program responsible for preventing the importation and spread of communicable diseases.

DUTIES:
[
"Assist in planning and implementing a program for preventing the importation of communicable diseases from abroad and spread of these diseases domestically.".....

Great Benefits I am Sure

posted on Feb, 6 2020 @ 01:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Adphil28
a reply to: Rich Z

The handling stuff and not cleaning hands
, just think of those touch screen terminals we all use for tickets, info, ordering, signing for amazon, dhl stuff!, does anyone wash hands after that?

Cell phones and computer keyboards are some of the worst.

posted on Feb, 6 2020 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Not going to lie I get lost with some of those medical terms. I'm sure someone will come along to say whether it's right or wrong.

The spike protein from the Wuhan strain is closer to RaTG13 overall, probably due to the S1-NTD subdomain being so different in the pangolin coronavirus. From the S1-CTD section on, the Wuhan strain and the pangolin strain are pretty similar (~97%), except for the furin cleavage site insertion.

It seems unlikely that the receptor binding domain–and especially the receptor binding motif–would be nearly identical to one found in pangolin through random chance.

source

posted on Feb, 6 2020 @ 01:45 PM
link   
This just in on Twitter: "Two suspected cases in Kwa-Zulu Natal."

According to Google "The KwaZulu-Natal province, also referred to as KZN or the Garden Province, is located on the east coast of South Africa, with Pietermaritzburg as its capital. KZN borders three other SA provinces and the countries of Mozambique, Swaziland, and Lesotho."

News24 South Africa is reporting Health Dept awaiting results of lab tests for two individuals.

news24

* Note * Not trying to fear-monger, just wanting to add any info I see to this discussion.
edit on 6-2-2020 by TruthJava because: added note

posted on Feb, 6 2020 @ 01:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: wuflu

originally posted by: MrRCflying
Update about the possible case at Cornell University in Ithaca, NY.

The student is in isolation, and being treated. The CDC has done a test, but the results will not be in for a full week. County health department is putting the risk at "low".

If I went there to school, you can bet I would not be in class until this student gets the all clear. They should close the school till then.

What is up with the test taking a week? I don't buy it. Stalling tactic so people forget about it, and not cause panic.
I wonder if its because the 1st tests are negative but they have to wait a certain amount of time and test again and again to be sure..

And the ones whos 1st test are positive they count and report on. Hopefully Thts what it is and most people are testing negative on 1st test..

Our Ministry of Health in Ontario, Canada explains how they classify confirmed, presumptive, under investigation, etc.

It appears they test twice - once at the Provincial health unit level and then at the national level.

Patient negative based on testing performed at both Public Health Ontario (PHO) Laboratory and National Microbiology Lab (NML)

I think at least for us this explains some of the delays.
www.ontario.ca...-0

posted on Feb, 6 2020 @ 01:49 PM
link   
www.manilatimes.net...

Just saw this on twitter

Says woman dies in Dubai from coronavirus but they still waiting on test results......
edit on 6-2-2020 by Pommer89 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2020 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Has this been posted yet? Pretty serious gear for something less than flu...

twitter.com...

edit: been following this thread since about half way through first part. Just caught up on last 6 pages. Had to skim a bit. Thank you all very much for this thread and site. I've enjoyed reading here before but found discussion on this topic strangely hard to come by using my usual google techniques. This is my first post that I put up in a bit of a rush, but it appears this hasn't been posted yet.

It's a video purporting to be abroad a US flight. Guys in serious bio gear asking if ppl have 'finished it yet'. They will not be allowed off if they don't 'have it'. Could be just a questionnaire, but the precautions themselves speak volumes.
edit on 6-2-2020 by Oppenheimer67 because: added detail

top topics

<< 95  96  97    99  100  101 >>

join