It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canned gravy is evil!

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2019 @ 12:28 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Amazing, for the microwaveable can alone.

posted on Nov, 28 2019 @ 12:30 PM
link   
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

I prefer my spotted dick fresh thank you very much. Waaaait a second...

No thank you
edit on 11/28/2019 by DictionaryOfExcuses because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2019 @ 12:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask
You beat me!!!!

Beat you're spotted dick?
Are we in the penthouse forum now?

posted on Nov, 28 2019 @ 12:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

You beat me!!!!

Beat you're spotted dick?
Are we in the penthouse forum now?

....wait what just happened......

posted on Nov, 28 2019 @ 01:44 PM
link   
The Bears are trying so hard to lose this game that I've just opened my can of gravy and started eating it raw!

posted on Nov, 28 2019 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

The Lions are on their 3rd string quarterback....
If the bears can't beat that then you better hit the gravy hard.

posted on Nov, 28 2019 @ 03:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
The Bears are trying so hard to lose this game that I've just opened my can of gravy and started eating it raw!

Sounds like you can hardly bear it. I ain't lion.

Says to self, "Nailed it."

posted on Nov, 28 2019 @ 03:39 PM
link   

a reply to: Sheye

... and if I am.. so be it. Would far rather be a loner who is attacked for my convictions than someone who constantly cares too much about what people think of them.

Your convictions on effing gravy?????? Really???? That's the hill to die on today??? Lol holy moly....

Meanwhile you're judging everyone else for their perspective.....

Whatever floats your boat... Enjoy your gravy crusade Joan of ark.....

They weren’t convictions on effing gravy.. they were convictions on peope who judge others for the effin gravy they choose.

I didn’t judge anyone for making gravy from scratch. Big difference.

Do you feel all big and powerful now that you think you told me off ?😂 Good .. I hope it made your day .

ETA: Just to point out I wasn’t the one who started a rant over effin gravy.. all I did was defend the free choice of gravy buyers.😆
If you really want to spank someone over effin gravy .. look to the OP who started this gravy thread.
edit on 28-11-2019 by Sheye because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2019 @ 03:51 PM
link   
OMG

Eating canned gravy raw caused the Bears to win!

posted on Nov, 28 2019 @ 03:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

This where "can of gravy" is code for hard liquor of choice, right? If the Bears can't take out a team on their third string QB. you need to go on the sauce to drown that pain.

posted on Nov, 28 2019 @ 07:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

So is canned cranberry sauce and it's evil jiggle ska-plop as it exits the can

I had some of this evil you speak of today. I didn't like it …..I LOVED IT !!!

posted on Nov, 28 2019 @ 08:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Tarzan the apeman.

Say it ain't so!

posted on Nov, 28 2019 @ 09:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Ahabstar

Sort of same here.
Used the old Weber big dome charcoal grill more than the oven. Difference was the ability to get the old fashioned REAL charcoal. Normal for us was me up at 4am for tea , 5am light the grill, get full sized turkey on when coals were ready an fuss around for hours keeping the heat to one side, adding bits of coal as necessary.

Wind, rain, snow, ice Mom was out there in her jams smoking/grilling that bird.
The oven was just for side dishes.

posted on Nov, 28 2019 @ 09:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Caver78

Sort of same here.
Used the old Weber big dome charcoal grill more than the oven. Difference was the ability to get the old fashioned REAL charcoal. Normal for us was me up at 4am for tea , 5am light the grill, get full sized turkey on when coals were ready an fuss around for hours keeping the heat to one side, adding bits of coal as necessary.

Wind, rain, snow, ice Mom was out there in her jams smoking/grilling that bird.
The oven was just for side dishes.

Just curious how you make gravy from Turkey drippings with that method ? Then again maybe you’re not a gravy fan.🤷🏻‍♀️

If your mom does make packaged gravy or canned.. tell her I won’t judge her for it. 😏

posted on Nov, 28 2019 @ 09:43 PM
link   
I very much dislike canned gravy. Gravy is a biproduct of cooking a roasted chunk of meat of any kind. I make gravy with meatballs too, any fried meat drippings can be used to make gravy.

For nostalgia reasons we sometimes have some Orieda mashed potato flakes that come in a package at the store. The garlic and chive one tastes pretty decent. The boxed ones mostly suck. But you can make a real lot of mashed potatoes for the price of one of those envelopes.

posted on Nov, 28 2019 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Canned Gravy.... hmmmm, I've had to eat it... Not because I wanted to, but, because of the other food on the plate.

Meg.. Slather me up.

Take a moment. Breathe. You are NOT there anymore. Sorry a bit of self therapy.

Yep

BUT, what is up with the Sweet Dinner Roll?

It's like getting a bread-like doughnut... just a bummer.

I want a bread-y, buttery, slightly crisp outside -dry and warm to touch- dinner roll, with soft fluffy interior that does NOT taste sweet.

It's a sop, not a fritter...

dang things ruin Christmas...

edit on 28-11-2019 by Newt22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2019 @ 10:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Newt22

Hawaiian Sweet Dinner Rolls are okay. Great for making a cheesesteak slider.

But if you are in a real pinch, you can make “sausage” gravy out of used fryer oil. Just takes LOTS of doctoring and then it is just okay. But it is out of the park considering how it started.

posted on Nov, 28 2019 @ 10:37 PM
link   

My mom, had me on the stove stirring her Corn Starch Gravy by the time I was 8, so I had the skills... I just wasn't allowed to make what I was fed.

Hoorah.

Never took to the Hawaiian Sweet Rolls... But, their Kings Bread. It's an epiphany in a Doner Kabob (Turkish Yuro in Berlin).

edit on 28-11-2019 by Newt22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2019 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Thanksgiving dinner is but a memory now, but I just found this thread and read all eight pages of comments. What a great thread! Okay, now for original input to add to the discussion.

I have to say I like the cranberry sauce in a can - it's what I grew up with. But then, Mom couldn't cook when she got married and when my sister and I were little, we didn't recognize that we only had about 5 or 6 different dishes - that was all Mom knew how to cook. So, cranberry sauce in a can was inevitable at our Thanksgiving meal table. Now, I personally love to cook, so today for my Thanksgiving dinner (late lunch?) I, of course, had cranberry sauce in a can, but made everything else. I made pumpkin pie from scratch last night, including the crust, because I like it cool from the refrigerator. (Plus, I made 6 of them to freeze a couple for later.) I also made some homemade rolls because you just gotta have some kind of bread to dip in the gravy. Gravy in a can - pah! Never bought it, so I don't know what it's like. But, it surely can't compare to freshly made gravy with drippings from a freshly-baked turkey. When I cook my turkey, I always add about a gallon of water with it. It makes it come out super moist, plus I have lots of extra broth to work with. About a half gallon for the gravy and the other half of the broth for the eventual turkey soup that will follow. I used home-canned green beans with a little bacon in them for flavoring. (Although fresh-canned garden green beans don't need any help in the taste department - it's just the way my Mother made them.) Then, peeled 5 lbs. of potatoes for mashing. There has to be plenty to put all that gravy over. And stuffing - did I mention that? That was something else my Mother always made. I think that just about covers it. Oh, did I mention that I'm single? That may seem like I'm being a "decadent American," by having such an extravagent meal for one person, but follow along with this itemized list below where I show I'm being very cost effective with my food budget and meals:

To paraphrase Thoreau:
one 13 lb. turkey - $6.28
5 lbs. of potatoes - $3.49
one box of stove top stuffing - .75 cents
one can of cranberry sauce - .50 cents
homemade rolls - $1.39 (basically one 5 lb. bag of flour, more or less, plus the rest of the ingredients)
one homecanned jar of green beans - $2.71
one can of pumpkin for two pies - .50 cents
one gallon of milk - $1.99 (for drinking and using in some of the other items.)
one pound of butter - $2.89 (almost everything takes butter.)
bacon - about .25 cent's worth
one can of evaporated milk for pies - $1.00

This all adds up to $21.75. That may seem like a lot to pay for a Thanksgiving dinner, but I have repeats of it for days afterwards. At least three lunches and three dinners. So, that divides up to be about $3.11 per meal - and we're talking a Thanksgiving Dinner!

Thoreau is probably rolling over in his grave right now.

posted on Nov, 28 2019 @ 11:02 PM
link   
a reply to: TrulyColorBlind

To paraphrase Thoreau: one 13 lb. turkey - $6.28 5 lbs. of potatoes - $3.49 one box of stove top stuffing - .75 cents one can of cranberry sauce - .50 cents homemade rolls - $1.39 (basically one 5 lb. bag of flour, more or less, plus the rest of the ingredients) one homecanned jar of green beans - $2.71 one can of pumpkin for two pies - .50 cents one gallon of milk - $1.99 (for drinking and using in some of the other items.) one pound of butter - $2.89 (almost everything takes butter.) bacon - about .25 cent's worth one can of evaporated milk for pies - $1.00 This all adds up to $21.75. That may seem like a lot to pay for a Thanksgiving dinner, but I have repeats of it for days afterwards. At least three lunches and three dinners. So, that divides up to be about $3.11 per meal - and we're talking a Thanksgiving Dinner!

Sounds like a great meal for a great price. How come food is so cheap down there. Not a chance I’d be able to buy all that for a little over twenty bucks where I live.

Good on ya for taking the time to make it only for yourself... ( hmm .. boxed stuffing eh ?.. wonder what OP has to say about that.😉)

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join