It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canned gravy is evil!

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2019 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Beef gravy.

Chicken gravy.

Turkey gravy.

Mashed potato's N gravy.

It's an American Stapel.

Canned gravy ?

I'd say it's being lazy opposed to evil.

posted on Nov, 28 2019 @ 08:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
Beef gravy.

Chicken gravy.

Turkey gravy.

Mashed potato's N gravy.

It's an American Stapel.

Canned gravy ?

I'd say it's being lazy opposed to evil.

Some people have a hard time putting together a large meal that requires good timing in assuring all food is ready in proper timing.

Some people may have had disastrous effects when trying to make their own .. and have opted for canned.

Why all the judgement over a can of gravy ? Gravy isn’t even healthy for you. Actually so many elaborate dishes that chefs make are not good for you. The gluttony at Thanksgiving is what should really be addressed here ...

Like I said before ..people are strange in this day and age. How dare you criticize anyone for their sexual preferences.. but you can call them lazy and stupid over their food choices... even if what they themselves prepare is slowly killing them.

Don’t get me wrong.. people are free to eat what they want in my books. If you go to Macdonalds or BurgerKing , I won’t ever hold it against you, even if you go there on Thanksgiving. As far as food goes.. my attitude is live and let live without judgement. ( to a point because obviously some people eat others , or have very weird fetishes regarding food)

edit on 28-11-2019 by Sheye because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2019 @ 08:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

Family always has a cassarole concoction called corn and oysters. It involves creamed corn, oysters, cracker crumbs, and butter at least. I've never liked it so I don't know, but as my husband does ... I'll likely learn how someday.

Similarly, we're reaching critical mass on sweet potato eaters now. Never had them on the table because was the only one who ate them, but now he does, all my crew does too, and so do some of my nephews, so they're becoming regular.

posted on Nov, 28 2019 @ 08:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Sheye

I get your point, but...

The Thanksgiving "Gravy Wars" are a annual tradition.
It's less food-shaming than a bunch of cooks arguing their traditions are right. Canned gravy is a processed abomination on multiple levels not the least being it's a pile of chemicals in a can.

However some people love it, and others despise it.

To continue your point of view, then every cooking show where eating wholesome farm to table can be considered either food-shaming or elitism. You are made to feel as tho you are missing out because you can't generally afford the ingredients.

Then back to the "Gravy Wars".
Some people just can't make gravy, some people don't want to learn how.
Only a small percentage of the population even cares.

Food shaming is bullying, but calling canned gravy evil is a personal opinion. I happen to think candied carrots or candied yams are an affront on everything righteous in the universe, but it's just my opinion. What people stick in their mouths is their choice.

The OP voiced their opinion on a forum, not at someones dinner table.
HUGE difference!

Happy T-Day!
Huggs,
Caver

posted on Nov, 28 2019 @ 08:40 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

The sweet Potatoes lost the fight at our gathering. We went Rutabaga instead.
I think the tide will eventually turn with Parsnips or Turnips next but that's just a prediction.

It's been a riot watching this root vegetable storm gathering!!

To do my part I'm introducing multicolored carrots this year. I may get pilloried, but I survived oven roasting root veggies with coconut oil last year, so I'm feeling bold.

( evil snickering!)

posted on Nov, 28 2019 @ 08:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Caver78

I’ll see your farm to table and raise you one fire pit and homemade grill 10 feet from the garden complete with tiki torches with citronella oil made from old mason jars. We later made a couple picnic tables and then stopped making as many meals. Wasn’t primitive/foraging enough after that, I guess.

But it was funny that we would haul everything from the house that we needed all the way out there. And we did move the fire pit closer to the house later on. In any case, cooking over a fire was a regular thing for 15 or so years.

posted on Nov, 28 2019 @ 08:49 AM
link   

The OP voiced their opinion on a forum, not at someones dinner table. HUGE difference!

I also voiced my opinion on his opinion in a forum 🤷🏻‍♀️ because there are likely members who do use canned gravy.. and I wanted to send the message out that not everyone judges them for it.

It's less food-shaming than a bunch of cooks arguing their traditions are right. Canned gravy is a processed abomination on multiple levels not the least being it's a pile of chemicals in a can.

I don’t buy it.. it’s food shaming , pure and simple. Are their traditional recipes so much healthier ? With all the butter, cream and other heavy fats in most Thanksgiving dinner side dishes, what is really worse for your health ? Maybe the chemicals in canned gravy are nothing compared to that.

That being said... enjoy whatever food you make or buy today and don’t forget to give thanks for it. Just don’t give yourself a heart attack from gluttony on foods that clog those arteries.😕

posted on Nov, 28 2019 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Yeah, we migrated from turnips to rutabagas in our vegetable stew. We discovered that they cook down with more flavor there than the turnips do.

There are some things that people just won't flex on when it comes to traditional meals though, so we soldier on with them year after year without changing.

posted on Nov, 28 2019 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Considering I lost 50 lbs on a high fat/low carb diet ...

I'd say that it's less the butter and cream than it is the huge portions we tend to indulge in on the day.

posted on Nov, 28 2019 @ 09:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Canned gravy is nasty. So are those store bought 'maraschino cherries'.

Try Luxardo cherries, those are the real deal.

edit on 28-11-2019 by AugustusMasonicus because: 👁❤🍕

posted on Nov, 28 2019 @ 09:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Considering I lost 50 lbs on a high fat/low carb diet ...

I'd say that it's less the butter and cream than it is the huge portions we tend to indulge in on the day.

yeah.. the Keto diet seems to help to lose weight, and congratulations on your weight loss. Not sure how it affects the arteries and heart over an extended period of time though.

Time will tell.. but if it does turn out to be bad for you in the long run.. I won’t judge. You made your choice to eat what you wanted.. let others make theirs.

posted on Nov, 28 2019 @ 09:43 AM
link   

It might but I'm the only one in my family not having BP and hefty weight issues.

Of course, I am not doing Keto, just high protein, not overly worried about fats, and low carb. That means lots of fish, poultry, pork, veggies and fruits. Very little bread and what there is is serious funky, chunky whole grain. Yes, on the butter, milk, cream, avocados and cheese, and use a calorie counter with recipes to make sure I get portioning correct at meals.

It's likely not nearly as unhealthy as you think, but I replace the sugars with the fats.

posted on Nov, 28 2019 @ 09:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Ha.. now the food snob is judging the OP for the cherries he chooses 😂.. priceless.

( I’m bored today.. not Thanksgiving here..so my apologies for continuing on with my thoughts on this thread )

posted on Nov, 28 2019 @ 09:55 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Good for you.. I sincerely wish you continued success with that.

posted on Nov, 28 2019 @ 10:07 AM
link   
The fact that only one single person in this whole thread was even slightly offended or worked up about the OPs humorous rant on gravy made me damn near spit my coffee out......

Yet that singular person is insisting that everyone else is offensive because they carry on the thread..... Not seeing thst they are literally the only one being bickery and closed minded about someone else's opinion.....

Now if that doesn't mirror the actual issues in the world I dunno what does

PS. I'm not picking on you, just illustrating a funny parallel

Happy Thanks giving everyone!!!!!
From one injun to all of yas!!!
edit on 11/28/2019 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2019 @ 10:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask
The fact that only one single person in this whole thread was even slightly offended or worked up about the OPs humorous rant on gravy made me damn near spit my coffee out......

Yet that singular person is insisting that everyone else is offensive because they carry on the thread..... Not seeing thst they are literally the only one being bickery and closed minded about someone else's opinion.....

Now if that doesn't mirror the actual issues in the world I dunno what does

Happy Thanks giving everyone!!!!!
From one injun to all of yas!!!

🙄... I’m sure there are others that see it my way.. but have chosen not to speak up. Just because I speak up doesn’t make me the only one who dislikes food shaming.

This was supposed to be a humourous rant ? It’s about as funny as AM’s stupid jokes about children.
Yeah.. go ahead and attack me for sticking up for people who buy canned gravy.. Lord knows I am so evil for not shaming them like the OP.🙄

Good grief.. can hardly wait to be gone from this nasty hypocritical world. You people get offended by me saying live and let live in food choices, yet you shove that saying down my throat for far more serious issues than food choice.

posted on Nov, 28 2019 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Quick question. . . .

When should I take the turkey out of the freezer to cook?

posted on Nov, 28 2019 @ 10:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
Quick question. . . .

When should I take the turkey out of the freezer to cook?

Right before you drop it in the fryer.

That way, you get your entertainment, lunch, and skin grafts all taken care of in one fell swoop.

posted on Nov, 28 2019 @ 10:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sheye

Ha.. now the food snob is judging the OP for the cherries he chooses 😂.. priceless.

( I’m bored today.. not Thanksgiving here..so my apologies for continuing on with my thoughts on this thread )

Yet oddly enough I don't feel shamed or offended..

posted on Nov, 28 2019 @ 10:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

originally posted by: Sheye

Yet oddly enough I don't feel shamed or offended..

Good for you... you win a cherry !😁

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join