It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canned gravy is evil!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2019 @ 10:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Sheye

Big secret...when I make chicken and dumplings I do dough balls versus a flat noodle. But I use canned biscuit and roll four or five balls per biscuit. Carrots and celery is cooked with the chicken (cut up boneless breasts) because when the carrots are cooked the chicken is as well. A little flour thickens the dumpling gravy which was just broth.

I cheat on every single bit and people love it.

edit on 27-11-2019 by Ahabstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2019 @ 10:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Gravox is the epitome of sadness. It tastes nothing like gravy, and it's texture is of glue and borox mixed in water.

Coming from English stock, the drippings in a pan after a roast or any sort, with crusty bread dipped into it, a delicious treat is all but a distant memory in the day of supermarket variety instant food like substances.

And yet, I do like spam... weird. I know.

posted on Nov, 27 2019 @ 10:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Ahabstar

We have a few versions of chicken and dumplings depending on when it's being cooked.

There's the flat noodle version with the dumplings made with lard from scratch and the full boiled chicken we pick and serve back in the broth for Sundays.

There's the grocery store roasted chicken with frozen veggies, jar paste stock and bisquick dumpling version for weeknights.

Both are good. One makes extra broth, stretches the dollar a bit further, and makes more leftovers. and the other is a hearty, quick weeknight meal.

posted on Nov, 27 2019 @ 10:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ahabstar

Big secret...when I make chicken and dumplings I do dough balls versus a flat noodle. But I use canned biscuit and roll four or five balls per biscuit. Carrots and celery is cooked with the chicken (cut up boneless breasts) because when the carrots are cooked the chicken is as well. A little flour thickens the dumpling gravy which was just broth.

There will never come a day when I understand biscuits and gravy... never had it, and I don't deny I'd enjoy it, but they're NOT biscuits... Oo

posted on Nov, 27 2019 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Sounds delicious ! I can appreciate people who think outside of the box in making traditional recipes. Good on ya !

I can also appreciate people who go to great lengths of preparation for quality food.

I also appreciate people who eat very simply, but nutritiously.

It takes all kinds to make life interesting. 😊

posted on Nov, 27 2019 @ 10:32 PM
link   
a reply to: gallop

Sausage biscuits and gravy yes.
Pan drippings gravy (chicken, pork, beef) over a roll, not so much.

But beef gravy over French fries, that is some Americana right there.

That would be a savory beef gravy over chips as a rough translation. And biscuits to Americans are never cookies despite familiar names like Nabisco and Sure Good Biscuit Company which are cookies.

posted on Nov, 27 2019 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Turkeys are so cheap during Thanksgiving. It's cheaper than high end dog food. I buy a bunch of them and use them for that purpose. Got a few 13.5 lbs ers for under $5 a piece. Cook it, cut it up and freeze it. I also mix in some smashed peas and carrots.

posted on Nov, 27 2019 @ 10:46 PM
link   

It’s an odd quirk of mine. I like and even enjoy making yeast breads but I do not like making biscuits or other baking powder based leaven breads except bannock.

Sweetbreads and cakes, I really have to be in the mood. Same with cookies and brownies. I really should make some butter cookies since I have my grandmother’s old dough press with all kinds of pattern disks and nozzles. For those tha5 don’t know, a cookie dough press is like a caulking gun crossed with a Playdoh Fun Factory.

posted on Nov, 27 2019 @ 11:23 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Ive learned the hard way, cause Ive eaten lousy most of my life now I got to eat better and more healthy for weight control after losing my gall bladder and even allergies.

posted on Nov, 27 2019 @ 11:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: gallop

There will never come a day when I understand biscuits and gravy... never had it, and I don't deny I'd enjoy it, but they're NOT biscuits... Oo

LOL dont tell me you think those little cookies or crackers are biscuits LOL

posted on Nov, 27 2019 @ 11:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Gotta throw down on the jiggly.

White bread, Miracle Whip, lettuce, turkey bird, pepper, and the jiggly.

This is the hill I'm willing to die on, dammit!

Now THAT's funny...an' I don't care who ya are!!

How did I miss this thread???

posted on Nov, 28 2019 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Best thread in a while!! S&F

"Jiggle-ska-plop"...took me a minute to figure that out, but that's exactly what it sounds like!

Personally, I'm with DB...I like the stuff and we serve it. Fresh cranberry just doesn't cut it on turkey sammiches, too tangy/bitter, overpowers the sammich.

As for gravy, we don't eat gravy out of no stinking can! We have a silo of the S# out back, we have a tanker deliver about 8,000 gallons of the stuff per week! "Live for Gravy...Gravy to Live" is the motto around here (it's like a Harley, but different).

I like to get nekkid, go out on the deck, smear gravy all over my....(oh wait, wrong forum). ANnnny-way......

Ahem, gravy is great! I don't care what form it comes in...I'll eat it! Well, unless it's runny gravy. Come to think of it, if'n ya' really wanna' get mad about sumthin' it ought to be runny gravy. Runny gravy is like a crime, an assault...almost as bad as gravy which is thicker than your mashed taters, the kind a spoon stands up in. Now that's bad...when your gravy can be used to break stuff. And then there's too salty gravy, that's the worst! Serve up this whole plate of food, dump the usual 3 quarts of gravy all over everything, looks great, then when you taste it your head turns inside out from all the salt. And the absolute worst gravy of all is the..."The gravy's all gone"...kinda gravy! Now that'll make a fella plum mad!!

So you see, there's a lot worse things than canned gravy, because just imagine that last kinda gravy I noted. That'll get folks to hootin', hollerin' an' even cussin' at ya!

Just sayin'!

So, DB, where is this hill? I'm comin' over, and I got your back!

posted on Nov, 28 2019 @ 01:53 AM
link   

Sausage biscuits and gravy yes.
Pan drippings gravy (chicken, pork, beef) over a roll, not so much.

That would be a savory beef gravy over chips as a rough translation. And biscuits to Americans are never cookies despite familiar names like Nabisco and Sure Good Biscuit Company which are cookies.

There is an eatery near here, it used to serve the side crackling with gravy at no expense on a beef roll or a beef meal. Now, years later, they sell large tubs of pork crackling for $5 and the gravy is a $1 extra.

Damn they knew what they were doing when they did that. Gravy over fries, or chips as we call 'em, is.. you cannot just suffice with salt and vinegar. Though, go to a fish and chip shop, it's all you expect, and fond memories of a snapper, with $1 chips... it was HUGE... we'd eat them sitting on the living room floor as kids and share our pineapple and banana fritters.. lol.. watching cheesy saturday evening telly.

It's no wonder my family is fat... Oo we grew up on the things that dripped out of animals as treats. But I pity the vegetarian who has only ever had apple sauce on their tofurky...

eta: But still, I will always consider biscuits as cookies. Arnotts bikkies were well good with milk, or a hot coffee. When I first hear of biscuits and gravy I thought terrible things.. lol.. then I saw it.. it's up scones and gravy..
You'd think I was a bloody pom haha..

Pronounces Sconnes, not scowns. for those who ever watched the Goodies.

edit on 28-11-2019 by gallop because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2019 @ 02:41 AM
link   

Actually, it's not American. "Poutine" is what the dish is called, and it originated in Canada, not the US.
edit on 11/28/2019 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2019 @ 02:46 AM
link   

...we grew up on the things that dripped out of animals...

I definitely try to avoid eating things which are dripping out of animals!! I can't always avoid it completely, but I try.

posted on Nov, 28 2019 @ 03:04 AM
link   
I want to like this video, but the overlays cover the entire punchline. a reply to: Bluntone22

posted on Nov, 28 2019 @ 06:33 AM
link   

Oh you so perfectly described the sound.
And the jelly dance is all show.

It still makes my cheeks pinch when I first eat it.
I cant eat much anyway. I have kidney stones.

posted on Nov, 28 2019 @ 06:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: Sillyolme

My dad has a recipe he got from his mother that she got from a WWII Navy wives' cookbook that has grapes and nuts and I don't know what all else in it for cranberry. The family prefers it to traditional, so if I want the real stuff, I have to make it.

Oddly enough. dad's side of the family did the canned cranberry even with that recipe while mom's side did traditional. Now, that recipe has moved over to mom's side through dad, but no one does the can.

I have watched as traditions have evolved since I was a kid. Those grownups are all gone now and haute cuisine has taken over some of the old dishes.
I still make stuffing in the bird with good old Jimmy Dean sausage in it.
But the lasagna from my childhood never comes for Thanksgiving however the mozzerella does in the form of a caprese salad.

Personally I loved the stuff I made with the marmalade and most of them did too but they wanted the jelly. LOL.

Hey we have moved away from gravy on to cranberries. Perhaps a review of our favorite sides is also in order?

I hate green bean casserole but my sons love it. So I make it.

I love golden creamed onions. Which is just the traditional creamed onions however I let the water with the butter and sugar and salt boil away until the pan begins to brown and it caramelizes the onions. Then I just pour heavy cream over it and stir. The browned onions make a gorgeous golden sauce. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

We could probably start a debate about whipped or mashed potatoes too. Personally I like a few lumps but it has to be buttery and salty. I know I'm a poster child for salubrious eating huh?
Heavy cream, butter, wine. I must have been french in a previous life.

posted on Nov, 28 2019 @ 06:48 AM
link   

Me too. Dumplings are puffy little clouds that float on the gravy.
The other thing.... is a noodle.

posted on Nov, 28 2019 @ 07:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

Actually, it's not American. "Poutine" is what the dish is called, and it originated in Canada, not the US.

Fries and beef gravy is NOT poutine. Poutine must have cheese curds in it to make it poutine.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join