It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why does everyone have to say 'Rescue Dog'

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Source question

Ever since we got our puppy, I've naturally be reading more threads/posts about dogs and I've noticed that even if someone has had their dog for years if it was a rescue, they'll say, we have a "rescue dog" instead of just saying, we have a dog. Even at the dog park people have made sure I know their dog was a rescue when they talk about their pet.

Why do owners of rescues have this need to clarify? who cares? Isn't it just great that you have a dog you love and are giving it a good home (hopefully) regardless of how it came to your family?

I don't get it (obviously) so why is that?

I read something earlier and it made me wonder the same so searched it and found the above question better than I could ask myself 😂
We don't adopt kids from orphanages and call them our rescued child lol, and if there is something particular to the rescued dog as am character then that is the important thing to point out isn't it?
Do people say Oh she's a rescue dog just to sound altruistic?

Not being inflammatory here, genuine question to ATS people because nobody really says your dog is a rescue in my country, we just say its our dog 🐕

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 05:16 PM
link   
a reply to: DaisyRainbow

They don't put kids to death?

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 05:21 PM
link   
"These are my rescued son and daughter, we got them from the orphanage down the road"

Yeah, that probably wouldn't go over too well. The "rescued" tag adds some cred because our society puts a lot of value on saving animals from the death chamber at kill shelters and not buying from puppy or kitten mills. We have two, one from a shelter and one from a puppy mill, and a previous dog was from a shelter. I think there is something to doing that from a human/animal relationship, pets and owners can develop strong bonds and I believe they know their fate is not good if they were left there.

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 05:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic

They don't put kids to death?
But why is that important to know? Kids will stay in orphanages until 18, again so what? It's your dog, I don't care what would have happened to it before you, just its the dog you love now ❤️

+1 more 
posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 05:23 PM
link   

I think people say that to promote the idea of rescuing pets rather than buying from a breeder or puppy mill. Lot's of pets put down because no home can be found, so I think it's a good idea to promote that.

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Perhaps because they do not euthanize children?

I don't care either. ❤ Let em call it whatev

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 05:25 PM
link   
The issue is that are deemed a "better person" if you get a mutt from a shelter than if you want a pedigreed dog. People who "breed" a given kind of dog or cat are "part of the problem" to someone who thinks like this. But if you give a shelter dog or cat a "forever home" you can bask in the glory of doing the right thing. That's the basic issue.

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 05:26 PM
link   
a reply to: HalWesten

Star, that explains why nobody says it here, puppy and kitten farms are pretty much illegal here and underground, it's more common to buy privat3ly or just go to the pound, they have animals of all ages

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 05:39 PM
link   
This is a new one, offended by the title rescue dog.

Now the argument for both sides will ensue.

You are just Virtue signaling giving your dog a "rescue" tag!!!

You are a Nazi, you don't care dogs are in cages and buy a purebred!!!

Life is good in the first world.

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Maybe because they haven't found the joys of cross-fit or having boyfriends.

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Is there such a thing as: 'rescue boyfriend', or 'rescue girlfriend' ?

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 06:34 PM
link   
It seems like a relatively new thing, I remember the first time someone told me they got a "rescue dog" I pictured a Saint Bernard with a little whiskey barrel on its collar. Now I find that I use it too just because everybody else does.

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Well I'm a rescue. ( adopted).
Got myself a purebred dog.
Balance.
Honestly, it's bragging rights in one part of society if you get a rescue dog, and another if its a purebred registered.
Depends who you are trying to impress.

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 06:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Nothin

I believe the ladies call "rescue boyfriends" "fixer uppers".

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 06:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nothin
Is there such a thing as: 'rescue boyfriend', or 'rescue girlfriend' ?

HOBOSEXUAL
A person who enters a relationship for a place to live.

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Puppy mills and pet shops can be really horrible, plus the homeless pet population is crazy..

So the fact they rejected a pure bred or a puppy and cleaned up someone else’s mess is worth bragging about.

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 07:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: JustJohnny

Puppy mills and pet shops can be really horrible, plus the homeless pet population is crazy..

So the fact they rejected a pure bred or a puppy and cleaned up someone else’s mess is worth bragging about.

So you've drunk the kool aid. We've already covered that. People who get "rescue" animals are "better" than those who prefer a purebred. We get that distinction already, but it is virtue signalling. Not all breeders are "puppy mills." So if that's what you want to do, go ahead and do so so you an brag about it. Bully for you. We are all so so proud of you. Meanwhile if I want a pure bred I will do that and I don't need to apologize to anyone, particularly to people like you.

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Because they rescued a dog from a bad life and gave it a better one. What's difficult to understand about that?

edit on 3-10-2019 by hombero because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Dont worry, we don't care what you do anyways.

a reply to: schuyler

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 07:11 PM
link   

When someone says they have a rescue dog, they are subconsciously admitting that they were the one who was rescued.
That act of caring brought back a little piece of their soul that living among humans had almost extinguished.

Knowing the unconditional love of a dog is one of the things that makes life worth living.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join