It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why does everyone have to say 'Rescue Dog'

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Um various reasons I'm guessing.

To express their disfavor of puppy mills and promote rescuing dogs in need.

To make themselves feel better for helping a rescue dog and prop themselves up.

To warn you that the dog may have unknown behaviors due to potential abuse and different owners.

These are just some possible motivations. Some good, some questionable, and some practical.

posted on Oct, 9 2019 @ 12:25 AM
link   
a reply to: DaisyRainbow
Ah who knows why people make the names they do.

But whats funny, about a week ago was waiting in a line at a store, or somewere, kind of sliped my mind were I saw it at, and they had a TV turned on to a home makeover station or something along those lines. There were two dudes who were the hosts and I think they were just supposed to do a makeover on peoples houses or old houses and rebuild them.

And they kept calling the houses they were working on, and the people or families, there forever home? You know Steve and Stacy just found there forever home. I was like what the hell? Isn't that what shelters always say when they adopt dogs? ie the little fella found his forever home.

It would be bizarre, if it were not hilarious.

But ya, on the dog thing. A dog is a dog is a dog, insisting that you have a rescue dog all the time to people, is a bit pretentious, and attention grabby.

posted on Oct, 9 2019 @ 06:24 AM
link   
a reply to: galadofwarthethird

Way to assume motivation, and no, a dog is not simply a dog, where you get it from makes a difference. Many puppy mills are exceedingly abusive, and also involve a lot of inbreeding, resulting in dogs that have medical and emotional problems throughout their life. Such places should not be supported, especially when there's already many dogs out there that need a home already.

As for being pretentious, I suppose it "can" be, but it's also selfish and short sighted to pretend choosing to forego getting a puppy from a puppy mill to help a dog that would likely be euthanized is in any way the same thing.

Many people talk up their rescue dog in order to try and convince others that shelter dogs can be good dogs, often going so far as to try and convince people that they are even more loving because they appreciate the rescue (how true that is, is debatable), but the goal is obviously clear. It's an attempt to convince others that if they get a dog they should rescue it rather than support puppy mills, and usually not some attempt to stroke their own ego.
edit on 10/9/2019 by Puppylove because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2019 @ 09:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Puppylove

Hey people can rescue a dog from wherever they please, if it be a puppy mill, or the pound. Go on ahead.

I was not even really talking about dogs, merely commenting on the whole verbiage being used to describe humans now as well. And yes dogs are dogs, they want to run around, sleep, wake up, then go back to sleep, sniff some ass, then go back to sleep, then wake up and lick there balls, then more sleep.

And some of them are variations of that, like people they come in all shapes and sizes and temperaments, regardless were you got them from. Dogs are like people, the way they are when there born and pupy's, are the way there going to be till they die. That is if there were no people around to change them.

So as you can see its not dogs that are the problem, its people.

posted on Oct, 10 2019 @ 03:14 PM
link   

You're only rescuing a dog from a puppy mill if you're getting them shut down in the process somehow. Otherwise all you're doing is supporting the puppy mill business by helping such atrocious activities profit.

Did you buy a dog from a puppy mill? Are you feeling guilty and shamed by such verbage or something? Are you trying to seek some kind of acceptance, or twist things into somehow making the people against puppy mills and thus choosing to not help them profit when choosing their dogs, somehow, into the bad guy, simply because they have the nerve to be proud of their altruism so you can feel better about your choice?

I'm not sure where your irritation comes from.

And yes I'm a hypocrite for projecting all those questioning assumptions on you, after chastising such activities earlier.
edit on 10/10/2019 by Puppylove because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2019 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Been interesting reading the discussions in this thread, got me thinking, almost everyone I know in UK has got their dogs from local pounds, I only know a handful of mates with pedigree dogs and they got them from small breeders, family homes, only two litters from the mother dog when old enough, that sort of environment.

I had a search and found this from BBC:

More than 47,500 dogs were abandoned by their owners in the UK last year, figures from the Dogs Trust suggest. The animals all ended up in council pounds and more than 5,000 were later put down, according to the charity's annual survey of 345 local authorities
But then I found this...

The annual market for puppies in the UK is unknown, but it is estimated that sales could range from 700,000 to 1.9 million,19 worth between £100 million and £300 million.20 Puppies can be purchased from a variety of sources—unlicensed breeders, Kennel Club registered puppies, imported puppies, commercial licensed breeders (including pet shops) and rescue organisations.21 The quality of the puppy, the life it has led and the welfare problems it has experienced vary considerably across these sources.
publications.parliament.uk...

So if the dog market is between £100 to £300 million including the sales from shelters who only take 40 odd thousand after the 5000 a year they kill, then the market must be dominated by private and underground commercial selling of dogs.

The numbers seem huge to me, like wow! 😱

posted on Oct, 10 2019 @ 09:49 PM
link   
HUH?

I got my dog from some people. No doubt they raised some other litters and sold them, but I would not consider them a puppy mill, it was a young couple, thats about all I know or care to know. The other dogs I have had, were from people who I knew, or somebody in my family knew, who either gave it to us, or we got it from them.

Not sure what your getting at? Puppy mills, or pounds. Makes no difference, the dogs are there arent they? There not going anywere. If the pounds dont find homes for the dogs, they put them down. If they puppy mills dont find a home for the dogs, what knows what they do? Likely they will end up at the pound. Or maybe ship them to china and make sausages out of them.

So either way, like I said. What do I care were you so called "rescued" your dog from. It ain't exactly anything these dogs can do, as its not a dog problem. Its a people problem.

But ya, OK there. You deserve a cape, because your a superhero. So next time you have a preference in were to get your dog from because you feel like patting yourself on the back. Just remember all the dogs in the pound, well what are the chances that more then half of them were from puppy mills? So if you want to rescue a dog, why not go directly to the source. Instead of beating around the bush?

If you think that your achieving anything with your segregation and selections. Your deluding yourself. Your not achieving anything but a warm fuzzy feeling for a few minutes. So do you like assume that if people get dogs from the pound, then somehow magically puppy mills will go out of business?

Seems like a few leaps in logic there. Just saying. And like I said, people can get there dogs and pets from wherever they want. And if they want and prefer they can call it rescuing, because chances are, anywhere your getting them from. It is exactly that, rescuing.

posted on Oct, 10 2019 @ 09:54 PM
link   
That's one way to look at it.

Another way is that those number right there, just show there are a whole lot of people who just and should not have any business owning any dogs as pets to begin with.

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 04:07 AM
link   

Yes totally, I know UK is only a small country but 50,000 dogs dumped every year, that would fill an average top level sports stadium 😱
It was slightly comforting to learn only 5000 a year get killed because of ill health or behavioural problems so nobody wants them or whatever though 👍
My local pounds charge between £100 - £150 for their dogs, vaccinated, flea treated, and microchips so it's no surprise they manage to find homes for most. Locally they don't kill any, there is another charity which will give 'forever sanctuary' to the unwanted dogs, they accept volunteers to walk them and care for them and occasionally some will bond with one or two and they even end up in a real home ☺️

Cheapest puppies here sold privately are around £600, but depending on the breed it can run to the thousands!
I'm comfortable but not rich so it will be a pound dog for me haha 😂

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 07:32 AM
link   

If everyone only got rescue dogs, puppy mills would go out of business as they'd make no money. It's not difficult to grasp. Not only that, but eventually when enough shut down, the dog population would be brought down to a manageable level, at which point they wouldn't be getting put down so often. Then when rescue dogs are no longer an option, or at a manageable level, we can look into breeding again, but with better control and restrictions.

Yes it's a people problem, but the solutions to those people problems are the very thing you're railing against. Where you get your dog, and who profits from it makes all the difference, because in the world of people problems, money makes the world go around.

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Yes and if everybody could and took care of there pets, there would be no need for animal shelters or pounds.

But that's not going to happen, just like what you said is not going to happen.

I am not rallying against anything. I'm just saying,

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Hey just get what you want.

Hell I thought about giving my dog up, got a bullmastiff, most people would take him, and the little fellow apparently is worth more then some peoples cars, but I thought of getting rid of him, to somebody else simply because I dont like him being so lazy and needy all the time, hes almost two, Its way past time for him to grow up.

But considering they only live to maybe the grand age of maybe 14. That means he will never grow up to be smart enough not to eat his own buggers. Also hes so lazy that its downright detrimental to his health, when you sleep 20 hours a day, thats 4 hours short of being a corpse ya know. Off course your going to get issues sleeping that much.

A dog is a dog. And the only way to get rid of pounds and puppy mills is to get rid of people getting dogs. So short of the end of civilization, thats not going to happen. Get what you want, I dont think it matters either way.

posted on Oct, 12 2019 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Only time in my life I ever had to give up a pet was due to housing situations. Personally I blame a lot of the pound situation to hard asses about people having pets. Almost everyone I know who's ever had to abandon a pet it was because # happened, they had to move, and they could find no where available where they could keep their pet.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join