It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

All Those Tiny White Dots in Mind-Blowing New Hubble Photo Are Actually Galaxies

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Just think of how many alien civilisations are there (or were there) that had no idea about us existing, and we had no idea about them existing. They lived their own lives, going to the cinema, ordering a pizza, going for a swim in the sea.

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 01:32 PM
link   
It's big gigantuous , but what if it doesn't exist anymore because we're always looking into the past of billions of years ago.
We might be the last Mohicans?

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: looneylupinsrevenge

You can call bullsnip until the cows come home! Just do the math.

You make some wild and incorrect assumptions. If you assume mankind is intelligent, and not alone, then there must be intelligent life which are on both sides of our level of intelligence. That is, life which is more intelligent / developed, and life which is less intelligent / developed. For the purposes of this argument we will focus on that which is more intelligent/developed. Earth exists in one of the younger areas of the Universe, therefore there are vast segments of the Universe which are far older and far more developed...possibly hundreds of millions of years more developed.

A species we would recognize as ET would follow a roughly similar developmental path. In other words, they would progressively attempt to understand the physical laws of the universe which surrounds them. They would learn the laws of physics, and seek out ways to understand them. This would include things like developing through the air communications (radio), nuclear physics, etc. All of these things leave an ever expanding signature in the universe around them.

And because they've been around for millions, possibly billions, of years longer than we have their signatures would have reached out much further. Earth's radio signature only radiates out 100 light years or so, but older areas would radiate out millions of light years.

So, I guess I'm the one calling bullsnip on your post!

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 02:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

You can call bullsnip until the cows come home! Just do the math.

You make some wild and incorrect assumptions. If you assume mankind is intelligent, and not alone, then there must be intelligent life which are on both sides of our level of intelligence. That is, life which is more intelligent / developed, and life which is less intelligent / developed. For the purposes of this argument we will focus on that which is more intelligent/developed. Earth exists in one of the younger areas of the Universe, therefore there are vast segments of the Universe which are far older and far more developed...possibly hundreds of millions of years more developed.

A species we would recognize as ET would follow a roughly similar developmental path. In other words, they would progressively attempt to understand the physical laws of the universe which surrounds them. They would learn the laws of physics, and seek out ways to understand them. This would include things like developing through the air communications (radio), nuclear physics, etc. All of these things leave an ever expanding signature in the universe around them.

And because they've been around for millions, possibly billions, of years longer than we have their signatures would have reached out much further. Earth's radio signature only radiates out 100 light years or so, but older areas would radiate out millions of light years.

So, I guess I'm the one calling bullsnip on your post!

and you have the audacity to say I'm making wild and incorrect claims?! Oh please! Once again your arrogance is showing. I never breathed a word about "intelligent" life, I specifically stated sentient. Not nearly the same thing. Beyond that you're also making the false assumption that life would devlope in the same manner with the same access to the same materials and same atmosphere as our planet. For all we know they may have no need for a beamed communication of any type, or as you say they could be millions of years more advanced compared to us. Making us irrelevant to them. I should also reiterate, since your reading comprehension seems to be lacking horribly, our radio signals, at 100 light years, would be nearly impossible to distinguish from the background cosmic radiation. So it wouldnt matter if their signals reached out millions, billions, or even trillions of light years, we would never be able to tell the difference.

And what math do you speak of to back your claim? There honestly isnt any. Any and all math related to the possible existence of alien life, sentient or intelligent, or other, is mere speculation plain and simple. There are simply no facts to back up either claim.

As a side note how much longer do you honestly believe we will continue to use radio waves? 100 years maybe, tops. Tech advances way to fast for us to stay stagnant. At which point, if we haven't destroyed ourselves and our planet we will have moved far past that limited tech and on to something else. How long after that transition do you honestly think we will continue to even monitor for radio waves? Again maybe another 100 years, if that. So again at best our radio waves will fade out of existence, mixing with the background radiation, being lost to time and the vastness of space.

If you keep spewing out your bullsnip, we might have to skip the hip waders and go straight to a boat, it'll be so deep
edit on 5-5-2019 by looneylupinsrevenge because: Reasons

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Not sure if this is on any of the links, but it’s a nice zoomable image of this deep field project.

www.spacetelescope.org...

Look at all those “islands”

edit on 5-5-2019 by spacedoubt because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 02:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

God, I'd hate to have your mind set.

Every counter was limited.

Yes, there is absolutely the ABSOLUTE possibility that a society exist out there, so far away that we will never speak to them. Absolutely.. Are you god? do you know this? If you were not on this earth, would we even exist?

Yes.. I disagree. Life is everywhere. We are limited and space is vast. Unlimited. There are other 'people' looking up and asking "I wonder.." while too, others there are saying "nahh.."

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 02:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: The GUT
Mind-blowing to the point of incomprehension.
I'm of the school that not only is infinity a valid concept, but that it goes both ways: Forever into the macrocosm as well as into the microcosm.

Thanks, Mighty G!

Don't hear from you a lot these days Mr G..

but it sure cuts the silence with well spoken words when you do.

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 02:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

You exist...

on a ball of rock, dirt an water...

Why not something elsewhere in similar circumstance..

Or did GOD just make you, here?

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 02:41 PM
link   
I'm considering changing my current opinion that we're the only technologically advanced life in the universe which is what I define intelligent as because it doesn't really matter if we'll never know and never see signs of their existence.

They're out there! No, they're not out there. Well, there's some critters out there but nothing like us. They might be intelligent like dolphins but.. not like us. Then someone chimes in and says that there's a race of giant, space travelling reptillians out there. He could say they're purple and polkadot yet have the same credibility as everyone else because there's zero, I repeat zero data, real evidence of intelligent life existing, simple life existing, none existing, or purple polkadot existing.

The debate goes: I'm probably right because of the number of galaxies in the universe. We can't count them so there's trillions upon trillions because.. I think there are based on an educated guess based on information that agrees with me, that's why I ever read it and share it as reference. Maybe there's 4.6 million, or 8.9 billion, 0.9 trillion? Who knows, see previous paragraph.

The opponent says there's no intelligent life because we can't detect it. He's technically right in a way because we can't. However, as the broken record story goes, the evidence or lack thereof supports his opinion because no one has any to begin with. Everyone walks away equally right, equally wrong, firm in their opinionated belief based on preferred, selected material that supports their position.

That's why I don't even waste my time with it, kinda like.. debating left vs right politics. Now there's a waste of time. But it's fun! Um.. if you say so. Reading that crap just irks me.

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 02:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: looneylupinsrevenge

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

originally posted by: gallop

originally posted by: gortex
a reply to: Zcustosmorum

Given the scale of the Universe I'd find it more terrifying being alone than not TBH , that would just be the craziest quirk of the Universe ever.

There is no possible chance that we are alone. None.

Yes, yes there is. And furthermore, it's almost a certainty. However, in order to understand, you first have to define "we" and "alone". If you are in the middle of the Indian Ocean, by yourself, on a sinking sailboat, are you alone? When you say "we", do you mean an entity with two arms, two legs a torso and a head? Does an entity with no physical form at all count as "we"?

It stands to reason that there are other planets so well ready for life to exist. One in infinity? Impossible.

That we even exist, proves that probability.

No, it only proves we exist in a physical form on planet Earth at a certain point in time.

I know I know, there is a secret algorithm that they use to denounce the concept.. well not secret, but still.. may as well be. Drake may as well be a broken record.

It's not secret. It's quite simple really. If ET exists we would have discovered him by now. Does this mean ET doesn't exist? No, but if he does we don't recognize him and very likely never will.

But will we ever meet our distant neighbours? Will we even ever speak face to face to someone across this globe?

Almost certainly not. (with a probability of about 99.999%)

I believe there are countless planets, filled with rich cultures and species, vastly different to what we know. a plethora of life forms, existing, wondering the same...

Countless planets, yes. Filled with rich cultures and species, debatable. Vastly different to what we know, absolutely. A plethora of life forms, define "life form". Existing, wondering the same..., highly unlikely.

Is there anything like us, out there.

No.

Sorry but I'm calling complete bullsnip on your above post. There is far to many systems let alone planets out there for us to be the only sentient life in existence, plain and simple. Years ago I had very same debate with another poster on this site, if you break it down even in our own galaxy there should be 1000+ sentient life forms in existence. Now take that to the next step and apply it to the Trillions upon Trillions (I repeat TRILLIONS) of galaxies out there and any argument against it simply falls apart.

As to the thought that we should have found them by now, again complete bullsnip! The farthest our radio signals have traveled is only about 100 light years, and at that distance it would be near impossible to discern them from the background radiation. Plus, in order for them to receive and return a transmission they would have to be on the same technological plane we are. If they instead developed quantum entanglement before radio waves, or some yet unknown form of communication then they may never even notice our signals. It is our over inflated ego's and limited thought processes that prevent us from seeing that possibility. We are used to being number 1, on our planet, so it's hard for us to accept that there could be others who are far more advanced or whose thinking is so vastly different to ours that we would go without notice.

I sort of agree with you. I believe there is life on other planets but it's the exact same life that you'll find here, just on a different timeline.

Reason being? I also believe our galaxy is an atom and our sun is an electron. If our galaxy was a hydrogen atom (which only has one electron), then every star we see in our galaxy would actually be an instance of that same electron over and over again. Meaning that at some point, every one of them would produce an Earth... this Earth.

But I think our galaxy is one of the heavier atoms with multiple electrons.

edit on 5-5-2019 by Bone75 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 02:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: 0bserver1
It's big gigantuous , but what if it doesn't exist anymore because we're always looking into the past of billions of years ago.
We might be the last Mohicans?

This is true, I think? We have no evidence to support or falsify this. It sounds cool, like star travelling aliens, ethereal life forms that don't have physical form. Just because we do and all life as we've ever known does, it could be. That explains all the random sightings, anomalies, even ghosts and spirits communicating with us.

That couldn't be more convenient. People love these topics, passionate about them, have set beliefs about them, it's pulp fiction, non fiction, science fiction, psuedo fiction. What do we call it, what we want to based on our opinion of the opinion driven work I suppose. The market though, vast and endless. YouTube channels with a dedicated, talented publisher can rise out of nothing with this material and net the author the equivalent of a full-time hourly wage job, and that's a small upstart.

Also, every unexplained sighting of something rehashed onto the internet will have increased believability and possibly real factor to the believers and those flirting with it. It's the other dimensional ethereal beings, far beyond our understanding.
edit on 5/5/2019 by r0xor because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 03:03 PM
link   
I believe there is life out there, and I think the odds of us finding each other in the micro second we exist is highly improbable.

There is just to much out there, even if there are a hundred sentient species on a hundred different planets scattered through the thousands and thousands of galaxies it doesn't mean we are any of us close enough to ever communicate.

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 03:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spacespider
Earth feels so insignificant compared to the size of universe.
I expect colonization and exploration is the future of the human race.

We will be ready soon and we need to figure out if we might be heading toward something from the predictions seen in MSM.

(ETA Pardon me for being a Foundation Trilogy Asimov fan.)

Will it be some giant dictatorship like in Star Wars the Emperor took over rule and where it starts out as a Republic like Rome?
OR:

Will it be like the Sigourney Weaver Alien Movies concept, where big Corporations run things?

Fill in other ideas. We should all know this will require someone footing of the bill that would have to be ginormous. It is those with the gold who decides the rules on what is or isn't going to happen in space or on distant planets. We have lots of issues on being able to get to the next solar system.

edit on 5-5-2019 by Justoneman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 03:22 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Thank you again for a fine summation and find.

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 03:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zcustosmorum
a reply to: gortex

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

-Arthur C. Clarke

Best sums it up for me

So very true too.

Lets throw in his opinion of something living on Mars at the South Pole. It is disappointing we didn't visit this area some way other than fly over.
www.thelivingmoon.com...

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 03:29 PM
link   
dp ON CLICK
edit on 5-5-2019 by Justoneman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 03:41 PM
link   
There must be billions of occupied worlds. We can’t be alone.

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Given the scale of the Universe I'd find it more terrifying being alone than not TBH , that would just be the craziest quirk of the Universe ever.

That would mean we aren't anything but a fluke form of a bacterium, where the absolute right conditions, heat, water nutrients must exist in a certain ratio, for us to evolve.

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Meh!

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 04:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: putnam6

That would mean we aren't anything but a fluke form of a bacterium, where the absolute right conditions, heat, water nutrients must exist in a certain ratio, for us to evolve.

Or, it could mean that life develops under whatever conditions are available.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join