It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

All Those Tiny White Dots in Mind-Blowing New Hubble Photo Are Actually Galaxies

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+42 more 
posted on May, 5 2019 @ 06:24 AM
link   
That's 265,000 Galaxies and billions of years in one picture , the picture is called the Hubble Legacy Field and it's comprised of 16 years of previous deep field observations including the Hubble Ultra Deep Field and the eXtreme Deep Field.

Of course it's a stunning image but when it's put into context it becomes mind blowing , to help that transition NASA have also released this video to show how this patch of Universe containing 265,000 Galaxies fits into the grand scale of things.

So now that you're suitably impressed, this image - called the Hubble Legacy Field - has been described by the team as a 'time corridor' showing us galaxies as they were up to 13.3 billion years ago, all the way back to when our Universe was just 500 million years old.

The image was created by using 16 years of previous deep field images, including the Hubble Ultra Deep Field and the eXtreme Deep Field. The portrait is a mosaic of nearly 7,500 exposures, and as this image below shows, covers nearly the width of the full moon.

The resulting image has 30 times more galaxies than the Ultra Deep Field, and is the most comprehensive 'history book' of galaxies in one single image.

Back in 2016, NASA extended the operation schedule of Hubble until at least June 2021. At this stage though, we don't know how much longer we've got with the space telescope, especially after a few recent system glitches.
www.sciencealert.com... tart=1

As long as Hubble survives I will continue to be impressed by the view it offers of the Universe and our small but important place within it.

"A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away"

edit on 5-5-2019 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Earth feels so insignificant compared to the size of universe.
I expect colonization and exploration is the future of the human race.

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 06:36 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

we bark at each other when it comes to politics. but we all stand with eyes wide open when it comes to space. maybe we should celebrate what we have in common instead of fighting as if we were enemies.

good post! thanks!

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 06:38 AM
link   
Another thread of interest, big thanks G

"my god its full of..........galaxies" forget stars

The numbers are simply astounding making what we fight over on a daily basis so inconsequential

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 06:42 AM
link   
Somehow, this seems fitting.

My God, it's full of stars

Mind Blowing, S&F

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 06:44 AM
link   
a reply to: UpIsNowDown

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 06:45 AM
link   
a reply to: stosh64

it certainly did

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 06:48 AM
link   
that tiny pixel in the sky contains 265,000 galaxies, just imagine

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Perspective can be absolutely mind obliterating!!

If the Moon Were Only 1 Pixel

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 07:47 AM
link   

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

-Arthur C. Clarke

Best sums it up for me

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 07:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Zcustosmorum

Given the scale of the Universe I'd find it more terrifying being alone than not TBH , that would just be the craziest quirk of the Universe ever.

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Eternity is so big! So many places to go to!

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 09:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

Given the scale of the Universe I'd find it more terrifying being alone than not TBH , that would just be the craziest quirk of the Universe ever.

There is no possible chance that we are alone. None. It stands to reason that there are other planets so well ready for life to exist. One in infinity? Impossible.

That we even exist, proves that probability.

I know I know, there is a secret algorithm that they use to denounce the concept.. well not secret, but still.. may as well be. Drake may as well be a broken record.

But will we ever meet our distant neighbours? Will we even ever speak face to face to someone across this globe?

I believe there are countless planets, filled with rich cultures and species, vastly different to what we know. a plethora of life forms, existing, wondering the same...

Is there anything like us, out there.

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 09:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha

Eternity is so big! So many places to go to!

And so little time to go to them..

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 10:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: gallop

There is no possible chance that we are alone. None.

Yes, yes there is. And furthermore, it's almost a certainty. However, in order to understand, you first have to define "we" and "alone". If you are in the middle of the Indian Ocean, by yourself, on a sinking sailboat, are you alone? When you say "we", do you mean an entity with two arms, two legs a torso and a head? Does an entity with no physical form at all count as "we"?

It stands to reason that there are other planets so well ready for life to exist. One in infinity? Impossible.

No, it only proves we exist in a physical form on planet Earth at a certain point in time.

I know I know, there is a secret algorithm that they use to denounce the concept.. well not secret, but still.. may as well be. Drake may as well be a broken record.

It's not secret. It's quite simple really. If ET exists we would have discovered him by now. Does this mean ET doesn't exist? No, but if he does we don't recognize him and very likely never will.

But will we ever meet our distant neighbours? Will we even ever speak face to face to someone across this globe?

Almost certainly not. (with a probability of about 99.999%)

I believe there are countless planets, filled with rich cultures and species, vastly different to what we know. a plethora of life forms, existing, wondering the same...

Countless planets, yes. Filled with rich cultures and species, debatable. Vastly different to what we know, absolutely. A plethora of life forms, define "life form". Existing, wondering the same..., highly unlikely.

No.
edit on 5/5/2019 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Mind-blowing to the point of incomprehension.
I'm of the school that not only is infinity a valid concept, but that it goes both ways: Forever into the macrocosm as well as into the microcosm.

Thanks, Mighty G!

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Is this the video/image they took of a “dark” patch of space?

It’s bringing back memories that it is, but I’m not sure.

Simply amazing.

+1 more 
posted on May, 5 2019 @ 12:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

originally posted by: gallop

There is no possible chance that we are alone. None.

Yes, yes there is. And furthermore, it's almost a certainty. However, in order to understand, you first have to define "we" and "alone". If you are in the middle of the Indian Ocean, by yourself, on a sinking sailboat, are you alone? When you say "we", do you mean an entity with two arms, two legs a torso and a head? Does an entity with no physical form at all count as "we"?

It stands to reason that there are other planets so well ready for life to exist. One in infinity? Impossible.

No, it only proves we exist in a physical form on planet Earth at a certain point in time.

It's not secret. It's quite simple really. If ET exists we would have discovered him by now. Does this mean ET doesn't exist? No, but if he does we don't recognize him and very likely never will.

Almost certainly not. (with a probability of about 99.999%)

Countless planets, yes. Filled with rich cultures and species, debatable. Vastly different to what we know, absolutely. A plethora of life forms, define "life form". Existing, wondering the same..., highly unlikely.

No.

Sorry but I'm calling complete bullsnip on your above post. There is far to many systems let alone planets out there for us to be the only sentient life in existence, plain and simple. Years ago I had very same debate with another poster on this site, if you break it down even in our own galaxy there should be 1000+ sentient life forms in existence. Now take that to the next step and apply it to the Trillions upon Trillions (I repeat TRILLIONS) of galaxies out there and any argument against it simply falls apart.

As to the thought that we should have found them by now, again complete bullsnip! The farthest our radio signals have traveled is only about 100 light years, and at that distance it would be near impossible to discern them from the background radiation. Plus, in order for them to receive and return a transmission they would have to be on the same technological plane we are. If they instead developed quantum entanglement before radio waves, or some yet unknown form of communication then they may never even notice our signals. It is our over inflated ego's and limited thought processes that prevent us from seeing that possibility. We are used to being number 1, on our planet, so it's hard for us to accept that there could be others who are far more advanced or whose thinking is so vastly different to ours that we would go without notice.

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Chadwickus

I believe we are at the center of expanding space, and uniform distribution
of matter, in a sphere the extend outwards at a 360 degree arc in the sky.

It is possible we are not at the exact center of the universal disc, which
can be thought of as an obliqe, flattened surface.

edit on 5-5-2019 by ThatDidHappen because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 01:02 PM
link   

All Those Tiny White Dots in Mind-Blowing New Hubble Photo Are Actually Atoms

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join