It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Analysis of Brexit

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 08:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin
Why are we even having a debate on Scottish shipping the thread is about Brexit and the disaster that it is.

Naff all to do with shipping.

Probably because Brexit means Scottish independence as well...and the loss of Royal Navy ship building in Scotland as a foreign nation.

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 08:04 AM
link   
I'd also like to know if anyone thinks the media has been keeping issues about immigrants and immigrations quiet since the vote to leave - basically is the media "shelving" stories that might anger the populace against immigrants and further solidify their choice to leave? If they have been doing this, I suggest that there is a clear and obvious plot to manipulate the people and whether this is being directed from Brussels, 10 D street, or wherever, IDK, but it seems that someone is pulling the strings and calling the shots/stories..

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Why are we even having a debate on Scottish shipping the thread is about Brexit and the disaster that it is.

Brexit is not such a disaster if Britain gets back control of it's own policies . Even Britain's trade policy was given up to Europe , but at this point we're already back into British control of trade policy . That is a step into instability , but better that than giving all those policy decisions to an undemocratically-balanced party in Europe instead . The future put in their terms would have been an insufferable dictatorship as it already had become . Europe with all its bailouts is hardly stable anyway

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 08:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy

Probably because Brexit means Scottish independence as well...and the loss of Royal Navy ship building in Scotland as a foreign nation.

No it doesn't it means Brexit.

Scottish independence right now is a separate issue.

They are related to some extent, yeah I'll give you that, but they are two different issues right now.

I think we deal with Brexit then start having the conversation again about Scottish independence.
edit on 16-12-2018 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 08:07 AM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Contracts would be honoured then the Clyde will be #ed. We find agreement.

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 08:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: DigginFoTroof

originally posted by: paraphi

originally posted by: DigginFoTroof
-Progressive (liberals) in Britain want to remain in the EU

I don't know why you think those who want to remain in the EU are "progressives". Arguably, people who want to leave - or want a different EU - are the progressives.

Anyhoo. The EU's insistence in the Northern Ireland Backstop is hugely divisive, and an indication that they (the EU) are content to hobble the UK in future trade deals by threatening to break up the UK. The more I see of the EU Commission and the scant disregard for the common good of both the EU and the UK, the more I see that the Brexiteers were right - and here I am a person who voted to stay.

With friends like the EU, who needs enemies, eh? Certainly, in the way the Republic of Ireland is acting I would completely review relations post Brexit, including tearing up some of the previous arrangements - like preferential treatment of citizens of the Republic.

When I labeled them "progressives" I did that b/c I don't really know what terms you use over there. Are they the group who favors unions and such or does another group/party more represent labour.?

Its generally being spun as a left/right thing (Mostly by remainers trying to muddy the waters and force people into voting against their consciences and vote with their political wing)
The truth is, however, it's more nebulous.

One of the all time biggest critics of the EU was Tony Benn, a proper, old fashioned lefty that would probably set off the "Communist alarms" were he still alive and trying to get through immigration in the US
Most of the mediocre unions are towing the party line of the PLP and proclaiming their opposition to Brexit, Unions like Aslef, RMT etc though have always been in opposition and, I have to say, you don't get much more left wing than that. (A previous leader of the RMT, Bob Crow, even went so far as to start a left wing alternative to UKIP, such was his belief in the need to leave.

Many Tories, like Amber Rudd, Ken Clark, even fatty Soames are pure, blue blooded Europhiles.

I think, the closest you could get to defining the sides in the Brexit debate, would be to say on one side, you have the money (MP's, Civil servants, bankers etc) and on the other, you have the workers.

That said, there are plenty of workers who voted remain. It's probably one of the only true, cross party things going on right now.

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Nope. Doesn't matter how many times you post it still doesn't make it so.

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 08:10 AM
link   

You've seen my thread about it, do one, leave the UK and stop whinging.
Adopt the Euro, start whinging about Brussels instead of England lol

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 08:12 AM
link   

No we agree that they contracts would be honoured.....which is what I was saying in the first place....

I however think that while yes Clyde shipping might take a hit it would find other shipping interests and diversify its portfolio so it might not be as big as it is just now but it will survive as a industry all be it possibly on a smaller scale.

The truth is though that neither of us can say with certainty because again as I have been saying this is all hypothetical.

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 08:13 AM
link   
a reply to: DigginFoTroof

This is the bit your missing. The corporation of London and its offshore subsidiaries is the biggest tax dodge in the world. The EU wants to look at this cake and the establishment is shaking. Thats why the conservatives have been trying their best to bale. They all have money in off shore bank accounts. Old money.

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 08:13 AM
link   

You need to get over you obsession with us Scots. It's faltering that you think about us that much, but really its just looking a bit stalker like now.

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 08:14 AM
link   
a reply to: ScepticScot
Royal Navy warships will never be built on the Clyde if you leave the UK.
Current contracts will be honoured but after that the RN will tell you to go # yourselves.

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Who is winging....?

Us Scots aren't all sitting up hear sipping whisky bitching about our hate for all things English in our kilts eating haggis wondering where it all went wrong.

(post by CornishCeltGuy removed for a manners violation)

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 08:17 AM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

If we went independent tomorrow Royal Navy ships would still be built on the Clyde until at least 2030.

So what you're saying just isn't true.

Now granted what happens after that is anyones guess, the UK would probably move its construction of Royal Navy ships down south but until 2030 its still going to be happening on the Clyde.

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Who is winging....?

Us Scots aren't all sitting up hear sipping whisky bitching about our hate for all things English in our kilts eating haggis wondering where it all went wrong.

That's cultural appropriation, that is, you are using an English stereotype of the Scots!

Haggis was invented by the Chinese, anyway.

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Current contracts will be honoured but after that the RN will tell you to go # yourselves.

I think that's 6 x times you have made same point about warships that no one has disagreed with.

Think RN top are brass are probably a bit more mature and sensible than that.

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 08:18 AM
link   

I'm sick of your whinging, I actually want you to leave the UK you just don't have the balls to do it.
#ing cowards.

What kind of rubbish is this!

You are the only one winging.

The rest of us are trying to have a debate about the OPs analysis of Brexit that you have warped from a debate about Scottish shipping to now a frankly anti-Scottish rant.

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 08:19 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 08:21 AM
link   

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join