It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Analysis of Brexit

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 12:52 PM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK

My personal pet hates.....

#1 The final phase of the EU light bulb ban comes into effect on 1 September 2018
As if the winter's arent dark enough

#2 High-powered hairdryers are on a list of household electrical items ... appliances including toasters and kettles which to be restricted.

#3 EU ban on powerful vacuum cleaners prompts anger and legal challenge.

#4 BRUSSELS bureaucrats are to consider banning a chemical found in weed killer that could cost Britain more than £1 billion if it was enacted.

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 01:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: SprocketUK
Setting vat more specifically, cutting and abolishing vat is no longer allowed by national governments wI think the eu.

The EU requests its members to apply a minimum of 15% VAT. The UK has had the freedom to lower its VAT from 20% to 15% all these years, and yet the UK decided to keep it higher than its required minimum. What makes you think the UK government will lower taxes after Brexit when it could have done so for decades and chose not to?

It's impossible to make a trade deal for any national government in the eu. There's 2.

True, another EU law the UK had big part in creating when the UK came up with the idea of a free market.

But please explain to me why you would like independent deals when the EU already gives the UK preferential market access to more than 50 non EU countries? A lot more than Canada and Australia have? (they currently have deals with approx. 15 countries, a lot less than the UK have, thanks to being in the EU).

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 01:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: eletheia

#1 The final phase of the EU light bulb ban comes into effect on 1 September 2018

#2 High-powered hairdryers are on a list of household electrical items ... appliances including toasters and kettles which to be restricted.

#4 BRUSSELS bureaucrats are to consider banning a chemical found in weed killer that could cost Britain more than £1 billion if it was enacted.

Light bulbs aren't banned. My house has loads of them. If you typing your post by candlelight you may have misinterpreted the rules...

The rest of your post seems to be that environmental regulations are bad. You are certainly entitled to that opinion, but most people I think would disagree.

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 01:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Agartha

Setting vat more specifically, cutting and abolishing vat is no longer allowed by national governments wI think the eu.

The EU requests its members to apply a minimum of 15% VAT. The UK has had the freedom to lower its VAT from 20% to 15% all these years, and yet the UK decided to keep it higher than its required minimum. What makes you think the UK government will lower taxes after Brexit when it could have done so for decades and chose not to?

It's impossible to make a trade deal for any national government in the eu. There's 2.

True, another EU law the UK had big part in creating when the UK came up with the idea of a free market.

But please explain to me why you would like independent deals when the EU already gives the UK preferential market access to more than 50 non EU countries? A lot more than Canada and Australia have? (they currently have deals with approx. 15 countries, a lot less than the UK have, thanks to being in the EU).

Because the UK is special and countries will be queuing up to us preferential deals rather than the EU with ten times the market size...

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 01:37 PM
link   
a reply to: DigginFoTroof

Your analysis is trite, distorted, self-serving and biased, so it’s not really an analysis

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Mine... The affront that is the Common Fisheries Policy, which at its best has disadvantaged the UK fishing fleets, while at its worse caused over-fishing and environmental calamity in the last few decades. The appalling Common Agricultural Policy that has greatly benefited the French but led to environmental devastation.

I mean. How long have you got.

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Oh for goodness sake, the UK came up with the light bulb bans and worked on convincing the EU!

The UK cannot unilaterally ban or prevent the free trade in products such as incandescent light bulbs on the basis of their energy efficiency. However, the Government are pressing the European Commission to make light bulbs a priority for regulatory action under the recently agreed Eco-Design for Energy Using Products (EUP) framework directive. We are also discussing with retailers and manufacturers how we can remove inefficient lighting products from UK shelves in advance of regulations.
House of Common debates, 31 October 2006

a reply to: ScepticScot

Your two posts below mine made LOL... really loud.

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Deliberately misrepresenting what I posted does not make you right.

No elected government can abolish or reduce vat on household fuel, or anything else below the threshold set by the commission.
None.
This is, by definition, a form of taxation without representation.

You keep banging on about these laws the UK helped create.
Who voted these law makers into office?

No one.

At least with general elections, we get the opportunity to vote for the best liars and punish them afterwards.

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Also, it was the UK who created and proposed all the laws and rules it now wants to break, for example: it was the UK created and proposed the single market and all its rules in 1988, it was the UK who proposed to accept ex Soviet countries like Poland in 1992, etc. I can link evidence if you wish.

I have been tying to tell people that Britain led the way in Europe as opposed to be rule takers but nobody seems to believe me. Thank you for confirming what I know to be true...

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 02:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: jeep3r

At the time of the referendum, nobody seemed to know what a Brexit actually involves. Even today, not all the details and impacts are known or fully understood. And Cameron did what? Leave it up to the people to decide by means of a referendum? Yeah, right...

This is not a personal attack on you but I am so sick of hearing the above... I knew EXACTLY what I was voting for, as did every other person I know and have ever spoken to.

That is just a piss/poor excuse that the MSM push. I can assure you Brexiteers knew what we wanted.

1. No more freedom of movement
2. No more European court and laws

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 02:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy
It's more complicated than that though because Scotland wants to stay in the EU.
We could see the break up of the UK over Brexit.
I'm easy if the Scots do one, won't affect my life, and royal navy ships will be built in SW England again instead of Scotland so my local economy will benefit.

Do you want the leaky, not very secure nuclear subs too? Coz we sure as hell don't want them....

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 03:07 PM
link   
a reply to: djz3ro

Yeah Devonport will take them.

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 03:13 PM
link   

a reply to: ScepticScot
Royal Navy warships will never be built on the Clyde if you leave the UK.
Current contracts will be honoured but after that the RN will tell you to go # yourselves.

You keep saying that even though nobody is arguing with you, we know. There will still be work for the shipyards on the Clyde but, in all probability not on RM Warships. Can we move on now?

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 03:18 PM
link   

a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

The Clyde will probably tick on making crappy patrol ships for the new Scottish navy lol

You've said that before too dude, are you hitting the scrumpy as you type? You're normally less repetitive than this, wxpeially when nobody is arguing with you...

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: djz3ro
In absolute probability no RN contracts.
The UK doesn't use foreign nations to build ships, the Clyde will be #ed.

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 03:21 PM
link   

I can't help the anti Scottish rhetoric because you are the only ones who wish to remain in the EU.
I will fight you over that every time. Same if we were speaking at the pub.

Ae we really? London, Scotland and N.Ireland all voted Remain! Where's your anger at N.Ireland and London? Oh wait, they're not Scottish!

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 03:22 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Lightbulb ban? I have 4 and a strip light on, am I breaking the law?

That's very vain of you. We need appliances that use less energy, why is this an issue?

Who needs powerful hoovers?

I'd be more interested to know why they want to ban the chemical, if it's one of the chemicals that's killing bees that's £1B well spent.

How much is it going to cost other EU countries? That only tells half the story, its a typical scaremonger story from the Brexit camp that goes on about changes the EU wants to bring in without giving the reasons. Seems suspicious...

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Lol it is a perfectly good argument and I've been drinking tea tonight.
Nae RN ships built in the Clyde after current contracts expire if you leave the UK.
Thousands of workers moving south

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 03:34 PM
link   

You keep banging on about these laws the UK helped create.
Who voted these law makers into office?

Who voted those laws? The British MEP you chose with your vote. The European commission works on and decides which laws to pass. The MEPs are voted every five year, local elections. Each party has a list of candidates and MEPs are selected by the overall shares of votes each party receives.

The UK has one of the largest number of MEPs at the EU parliament but unfortunately British people don't bother about this and only 34% turned up to vote in 2014... which makes those that complain about the EU being an unelected bunch very hypocritical.

(By the way The European commission is very transparent and all its meetings are recorded live onto their website, so everybody can watch them).

originally posted by: djz3ro
I have been tying to tell people that Britain led the way in Europe as opposed to be rule takers but nobody seems to believe me. Thank you for confirming what I know to be true...

It's all recorded in history and people who say otherwise are either ignorant or liars.

Look at how people don't even know they elect the MEPs who then vote on laws that affect every EU country!

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join