It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Analysis of Brexit

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 03:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy
a reply to: djz3ro
In absolute probability no RN contracts.
The UK doesn't use foreign nations to build ships, the Clyde will be #ed.

Dude, I wasn't arguing with you.

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 03:40 PM
link   
a reply to: djz3ro
Fair one.

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 03:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Agartha

originally posted by: SprocketUK
You keep banging on about these laws the UK helped create.
Who voted these law makers into office?

Who voted those laws? The British MEP you chose with your vote. The European commission works on and decides which laws to pass. The MEPs are voted every five year, local elections. Each party has a list of candidates and MEPs are selected by the overall shares of votes each party receives.

The UK has one of the largest number of MEPs at the EU parliament but unfortunately British people don't bother about this and only 34% turned up to vote in 2014... which makes those that complain about the EU being an unelected bunch very hypocritical.

(By the way The European commission is very transparent and all its meetings are recorded live onto their website, so everybody can watch them).

originally posted by: djz3ro
I have been tying to tell people that Britain led the way in Europe as opposed to be rule takers but nobody seems to believe me. Thank you for confirming what I know to be true...

It's all recorded in history and people who say otherwise are either ignorant or liars.

Look at how people don't even know they elect the MEPs who then vote on laws that affect every EU country!

Meps only have an advisory role.
If they vote down a comission proposal, the president can then ASK the comission to reconsider.

Your mep is also not allowed to introduce a bill to create or rescind a law.

It's simply a tachnocracy dressed up as a democracy.

If you are cool with that, fine, but you shouldn't lie to people to make it sound democratic, it clearly is not.

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 03:45 PM
link   
a reply to: DigginFoTroof

Nationalist crap.

We are all human beings.

We have this one Earth, nothing else.

Get over it.

Actually try and make things better instead of futilely trying to shift border lines around all the time. We've done that for millennia and no improvement so why keep trying.

Do something bright and new and helpful.

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 03:48 PM
link   

The UK has one of the largest number of MEPs at the EU parliament but ...

This is one of the problems with democracy in the EU. A British MEP has a constituency of c.800,000. A Maltese MEP has a constituency of c. 70,000. The EU average is c. 400,000. Therefore, your average Brit is less important than most other members of the EU.

Just saying,

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 03:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi

The UK has one of the largest number of MEPs at the EU parliament but ...

This is one of the problems with democracy in the EU. A British MEP has a constituency of c.800,000. A Maltese MEP has a constituency of c. 70,000. The EU average is c. 400,000. Therefore, your average Brit is less important than most other members of the EU.

Just saying,

And an alarming number of laws get passed through trilogues rather than full parliamentary debates.

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 03:56 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 03:59 PM
link   

a reply to: SprocketUK
Give a # much?

I care about the people making laws being entirely accountable to the people.

8 can't understand why so many people don't care.
Tom Paine would be mad as hell.

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 04:04 PM
link   

If they vote down a comission proposal, the president can then ASK the comission to reconsider.

MEPs have the power to approve, amend or reject nearly all EU legislation. They hold the European Commission to account and can force it to resign. -- LINK/ Evidence --

If you are cool with that, fine, but you shouldn't lie to people to make it sound democratic, it clearly is not.

I am not lying and you should concentrate on discussing the topic, not ATS members.... you know, go after the ball not the player.

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 04:13 PM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

Nae RN ships built in the Clyde after current contracts expire if you leave the UK.

And am not arguing with you my point was that SW England are not going to be able to magic up the skill base and infrastructure to replace the Clyde ship yards over night.

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 04:14 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

We can try and laugh at Scotland who lose the contracts.

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 04:20 PM
link   

You see posts like this are just deliberately antagonistic.

You are not really interested in having a proper intellectual debate, not just because you are intellectually incapable of doing so but also because your only interested in pissing of the Scottish.

I don't get what you have against us Scottish but not really interested in getting into a debate with someone who is only invested in bashing my fellow countrymen.

(post by CornishCeltGuy removed for a manners violation)

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 04:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: djz3ro

Lightbulb ban? I have 4 and a strip light on, am I breaking the law?

Now your'e just being obtuse if you haven't noticed that bulbs do not give out

the same light they used to....... that includes street lighting.

That's very vain of you. We need appliances that use less energy, why is this an issue?

I could be a hairdresser for all you know ..... taking longer to dry

hair means less customers effectively reducing my income.

On the other hand heat is required for those who need to remove kinks

in hair.

Who needs powerful hoovers?

Anyone who likes to clean thoroughly

I'd be more interested to know why they want to ban the chemical, if it's one of the chemicals that's killing bees that's £1B well spent.

No not for killing insects for hard landscaping which doesnt effect insects.

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 05:04 PM
link   

It's all recorded in history and people who say otherwise are either ignorant or liars.

Look at how people don't even know they elect the MEPs who then vote on laws that affect every EU country!

I'm shocked that's so low. I'd be curious to know the % of that 34% voted Remain and what % voted Leave....

posted on Dec, 16 2018 @ 05:28 PM
link   

I feel you oversold your liking of us Scots, this post hints at something deeper going on than just a passing annoyence at, on your opinion, the idea we whinge a lot (which, let's face it, is a British pastime).

Either that or that's some pretty strong "tea" you've been drinking

posted on Dec, 17 2018 @ 01:42 AM
link   

MEPs have the power to approve, amend or reject nearly all EU legislation. They hold the European Commission to account and can force it to resign. -- LINK/ Evidence --

I am not lying and you should concentrate on discussing the topic, not ATS members.... you know, go after the ball not the player.

Dishonest again.
www.europarl.europa.eu...

posted on Dec, 17 2018 @ 01:56 AM
link   

Dishonest again.
www.europarl.europa.eu...

Read your link again. It doesn't say what you seem to think it does.

posted on Dec, 17 2018 @ 02:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: eletheia
Now your'e just being obtuse if you haven't noticed that bulbs do not give out the same light they used to....... that includes street lighting.

We're on an even keel then because I felt you were being obtuse when I said that Britain was a leader and rule maker and you asked if we lived on the same island, I notice you've not addressed the evidence of rules created by the UK in the EU that Brexiteers are conplaoning about.

As for the light bulbs, I prefer the modern bulbs, it's more natural light with less glare to it, it's easier on the eyes. I also have a condition that effects my eyes in low light, modern bulbs give out better quality of light and I can see better by them. And street lighting? Well our wee town just had new street light put in this year, I couldn't see faces in streets at night under the old street lights because of the aforementioned condition, since the new lights have been put in I can see more clearly and can make out faces of those passing by. They give off more light and the quality of light is better..

I could be a hairdresser for all you know ..... taking longer to dry hair means less customers effectively reducing my income.

On the other hand heat is required for those who need to remove kinks in hair.

I'd be willing to bet you're not. The words "For all you know I could be..." are usually always followed up with something the person isn't

But if there was an EU Ruling that made hairdressers bin their hairdryers and buy new ones we'd hear about it, hairdressers are a pretty vocal bunch
Who needs powerful hoovers?

Anyone who likes to clean thoroughly

A little elbow grease is all you need, I don't have a fancy pants powerful hoover and my carpets are spotless.

No not for killing insects for hard landscaping which doesnt effect insects.

I'm currently working as a landscaper, I haven't heard about this, what product are we talking about here?

I took the liberty of removing the Annoying and unnecessary paragraph breaks that you insist on adding every two lines for some reason.
edit on 17/12/18 by djz3ro because: Spelling

posted on Dec, 17 2018 @ 03:31 AM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

I've said multiple times that current contracts would be honoured. After that though the Clyde is screwed.

The Clyde itself has Oil, The west coast of Scotland could have as much as 100 years of oil worth well over a trillion pounds.
The findings show that the current predictions of extensive untapped reserves of oil and gas could be underestimated by 100%. The West Coast alone could provide oil and gas for over 100 years with an estimated value of more than £1 trillion.

Stick your 2 or 3 warships, We'll be building and repairing Rigs at Faslane and supply ships on the Clyde in no time.

Oh, and what currency are we going to use. The same currency England buys our oil and gas with.

Stick that on the side of a bus.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join