It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is your Parent a Narcissist or are you unable to take blame?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 08:58 AM
link   
So I was perusing social media and an article came up. It was all about if your parents are Narcissists.
I was shocked at what seemed like thousands of comments of people
blaming their parents for all their ills in life. Some of these people are pretty old too.

Now don't get me wrong, i'm sure there are some real crappy parents out there, but sooo many?
It just seems like young people (and even some old people) can't get a grasp that their life
turned out the way it did due to their own actions.

I can understand that your parents have some influence on you in your late teens and maybe even early 20's but
after that?

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 09:04 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

it sounds like the commenters are either still adolescents/young adults, or "adults" who are still dwelling on decades-old issues. Here in the West, the children are more entitled and disrespectful than ever. Seeing parents with their children at the supermarket, at the airport, etc. the youth generally are consumed by their phone or handheld devices, or being snotty and demanding to their parents who have all but given up.

This isn't true for all youth/parents, but it is a prevalent theme... more often than not I see entitled kids who expect everything to go their way, who lash out if they don't get what they want and have no qualms about being unappreciative or even downright nasty to adults

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Personal responsibility seems to be a lost concept these days.

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 09:06 AM
link   

What about my friend who was breast fed until he was 14, is it his fault he's screwed up?

edit on 13-12-2018 by AugustusMasonicus because: Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 09:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

What about my friend who was breast fed until he was 14, is that his fault?

I hope you are joking, but if not, that is a case I see as real abuse.

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 09:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn

Personal responsibility seems to be a lost concept these days.

Yes, I mean yes all of our parents were not perfect. I think with age we grow to understand people have faults.
Some people never get past that stage for some reason.

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 09:10 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 09:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

I never joke, I am devoid of humor.

So that is the kicker. The kids that have really HORRIBLE abusive parents tend to never blame them. They always blame themselves. Yet the ones that have pretty normal parents blame every bump in their lives on their parents.

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Agreed. My parents were pretty good, I'm messed up because of me.

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Everyone is afflicted with a degree of narcissism, it's just some people will never admit it.

The blame game is just to deflect, looking within is a tough thing to do.

edit on 13-12-2018 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 09:41 AM
link   
First of all, I want to say that the "generation gap" crap is a bunch of bull. I spoke with my uncle years ago and observed my kids and grandkids and basically, kids are kids, people are people, we have not changed that much other than alterations in society for thousands of years. I thought the generation gap was real when I was a kid, I was wrong. After studying human nature for my whole life I see the same human behavior was present all along. I even did some studying of research on human nature and it stated the same wants and desires exist but often have a little different twist to them with each generation.

Now, people being hooked on technology is more of an addiction, not a change. It shows a reliance has formed on technology because the brain has not been conditioned properly to deal with higher levels of thinking to increase confidence in what you are doing. Technology should be a tool, an aid, not a Hey google how do I make spaghetti.

The Young are disregarding experience because they are convinced that technology is better, YouTube is an aid, it can show you how to lay block under ideal conditions but variations change the way you do things when you learn something by experience. I use YouTube to refresh my memory and to learn some handy tips from experts, most of the You-tube videos rely on you knowing how to do some things, many different steps and processes are assumed to be known by the one creating the video. If I work on brakes, I understand the videos for brakes, but the granddaughter often gets lost even though she is pretty smart, the creator of the video takes things for granted when explaining things in laymans terms.

Kids will innately try to put the blame on others and that is the way it is. Parents are old fashioned, their risk assessment based on their experience is not worthy of considering till after you experience pain and suffering by avoiding risk assessment. And of course some people will never learn. A mistake is not a mistake if you learn from it, it is a learning experience. A very wise person told me that when I was young, thanks dad.

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 09:44 AM
link   

I'm sooooooo glad you're on the job!

I hear that cyber warriors passing judgment on folks they don't even know fixes everything!!!

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 09:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea

I'm sooooooo glad you're on the job!

I hear that cyber warriors passing judgment on folks they don't even know fixes everything!!!

Are you the friend AugustusMasonicus was talking about?

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 09:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse

Kids will innately try to put the blame on others and that is the way it is. Parents are old fashioned, their risk assessment based on their experience is not worthy of considering till after you experience pain and suffering by avoiding risk assessment. And of course some people will never learn. A mistake is not a mistake if you learn from it, it is a learning experience. A very wise person told me that when I was young, thanks dad.

I guess that is what I was surprised about, people saying they were 40 and still blaming. I guess you are right, some people never learn!

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 09:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
Are you the friend AugustusMasonicus was talking about?

Booooooom!

*mic drop*

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Serves me right to suffer...serves me right to be alone....you see I'm livin in a memory of a day thats past and gone!!

John Lee Hooker

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 09:57 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

I packed up my John Lee Hooker record collection and out the door I went. - G. Thoroughgood

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 10:08 AM
link   
You need to check some of the support forums out there to really understand just how much damage a narcissistic parent does before you whine about blame gaming. There's normal entitled whining that every generation does, and then there's god awful people who should never have spread their legs/dropped their zippers.

Big. Difference.

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Interesting question to be asked... but I don't speak for our august Mason.

I don't presume to know what's in other people's hearts and minds.

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 10:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah
You need to check some of the support forums out there to really understand just how much damage a narcissistic parent does before you whine about blame gaming. There's normal entitled whining that every generation does, and then there's god awful people who should never have spread their legs/dropped their zippers.

Big. Difference.

I just quickly looked at a Narcissistic support forum, I kid you not this is what popped up. LOOK at what this
person is complaining about......... You can't even make this stuff up!

I hate it when my sisters include their boyfriends in our family photos. They had so many boyfriends over the years it was ridiculous. And now I have to see them in every family photo

There is something about this generation that does not want to take blame. Everything in life sucks because of what someone else did. I can't wait until this generations kids grow up. No that is going to be hilarious! (my guess is that the pendulum will swing back a bit!)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join