It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jesus never said that we are saved by Faith Alone

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Jesus said that keeping His Word leads to Life and that in all things we should do unto others as we would have them do unto us. Following Christ by walking in Love (GOD) as He did, leads to Life, not just believing He is The Son of God and died for all sins. If that's all it takes to be a Christian , and not Good Works, then even Satan is a Christian since he would know that Jesus is The Son of God who died for all sins.

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 03:27 PM
link   
21 envy,1 drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do 2 such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

5 For you may be sure of this, that everyone who is sexually immoral or impure, or who is covetous (that is, an idolater), has no inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and God.

9 understanding this, that the slaw is not laid down for the just but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and sinners, for the unholy and profane, for those who strike their fathers and mothers, for murderers,

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 03:59 PM
link   
a reply to: SeaWorthy

So no drunken orgies in Heaven? It sounds pretty damn boring.

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 04:19 PM
link   
a reply to: lightofgratitude

Really, take a couple of passages out of context

So if Christians are not saved by faith in Jesus then we are saved by following the law, is that what you are saying

I don't think you have thought this through

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 04:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

By following The Law that Christ taught through His Word, yes. Not any other Word or Law.

Treat others as you would like to be treated in all things - Matthew 7:12.
edit on 11-13-2018 by lightofgratitude because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Ok are you saying treating others as you would like to be treated is the only law Christians have to follow?
Isn't treating people the way YOU like to be treated subjective?

Just one more thing, if Christians are under the law, wasn't Christs sacrifice pointless?
Can you reason that through?

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 04:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: lightofgratitude

By following The Law that Christ taught through His Word, yes. Not any other Word or Law.

Op. That happens 'naturally through faith in jesus commands to his followers.

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 04:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman

Ok are you saying treating others as you would like to be treated is the only law Christians have to follow?

Just one more thing, if Christians are under the law, wasn't Christs sacrifice pointless?

He is confusing law with the 3 things jesus asked us to do.

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 04:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa

He is confusing law with the 3 things jesus asked us to do.

Yes thankyou Yuppa,I agree, saved by faith in Jesus and carry out the actions and deeds of a Christian as led by the Spirit, as we grow in faith

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 04:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
a reply to: SeaWorthy

So no drunken orgies in Heaven? It sounds pretty damn boring.

Here we go with the Leftist hedonism!

luv ya

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 04:42 PM
link   
I would put it like this;
Jesus demands both faith and obedience to his word, but faith comes first in order of time.
People had to believe in him, if only as God's emissary, before they would listen to anything he said.
He found that he could not work healing miracles in the absence of faith.
He told one woman Your faith has saved you, because she trusted his promise that her sins would be forgiven.
That is why he calls his followers "these little ones who believe in me".
There's no need to treat faith and obedience as though they were mutually exclusive. Just get them in the right order. Obedience follows on from faith.

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 04:48 PM
link   
The obedience Diz is talking about is not obedience to the law, the obedience is to the Holy Spirit within the individual Christian

Yes Christians are outside the "religious law" but we are obedient to the Holy Spirit

Jesus taught the law at the Sermon on the Mount, go live that or accept His grace

Paul said, "all things are lawful but not all things are edifying", what do you think that means

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 04:50 PM
link   

If that's all it takes to be a Christian , and not Good Works, then even Satan is a Christian since he would know that Jesus is The Son of God who died for all sins.

Your point about Satan was answered in one of my recent threads;

The language of John’s gospel offers a distinction between different aspects of belief.
There is the simple acceptance that something is true - “believing THAT”.
Then there is the more fundamental trust in a person - “believing IN”.
The function of “believing THAT” is to prepare the ground for “believing IN”, which is the real key to New Testament faith.
Of course James criticises those who merely say that they have faith (which is not the same thing), but even James does not suggest that a man can be saved without any faith at all. Works are commended as the evidence of faith, which means that faith must have come first in order of time.
His remarks about those who “believe that God is one” only illustrate the distinction found in John; their fault is not going beyond the belief THAT. The demons have the same knowledge, as he says, but they don’t have the necessary relationship of trust with God. They don’t have belief IN (James ch2 vv14-19)

What I said about demons in general is also true about Satan. Satan can only have belief "THAT" about God. He cannot have trust, he cannot have belief IN.

edit on 13-11-2018 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 04:52 PM
link   

The obedience Diz is talking about is not obedience to the law, the obedience is to the Holy Spirit within the individual Christian

Yes; it'a a matter of doing what God wants. Neither Jesus nor Paul rule that out.

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 04:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Butterfinger
Here we go with the Leftist hedonism!

Not a big fan of the ladies I take it.

(post by Raggedyman removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 05:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: lightofgratitude

I see what you are saying.

Bottom line is God/Jesus makes the call on who gets in heaven. All he said was love God and our Neighbors because we would be judged by how we treated others who trespassed against us! Jesus is choosing to love and forgive us if we choose to forgive and love others, even those who would do us harm/wrong.

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Do you think the old testament laws are still valid?

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 05:29 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 05:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Woodcarver

Do you think the old testament laws are still valid?

No Jesus established a new covenant for Christians
Otherwise we would be Jews living Jewish laws

I don't mean to be rude Woodie but the amount of times you have commented on Christianity and you don't seem to understand the basic difference between Jew and Christian

<<   2  3  4 >>

join