It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lakeland, Florida City Commisioner Shoots and Kills Perp Shoplifting From His Business

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2018 @ 10:11 PM
link   
The Lakeland city commissioner noticed a shoplifter stealing a hatchet (weapon) from his store one county up from me. He waits by the door and pulls the perp in, who resists in an attempt to escape. The commissioner, Mike Dunn, then shoots and kills the perp during his escape attempt. Lets watch it and gather our opinions.

Statement from the PD:

LakelandPD
13 hrs ·

Update on Shooting Investigation - Release of Surveillance Video

On October 4th, Chief Larry Giddens issued the following statement in regard to the shooting that occurred the day prior.

"We have received multiple requests for comments, reports, surveillance videos and evidence regarding the shooting at the Vets Army Navy Surplus store. Please understand this is an ongoing criminal investigation. We are working with the State Attorney's Office and the Medical Examiners Office, two wonderfully reputable agencies, to ensure this investigation is done in the most transparent, professional way possible. Until the investigation is complete, it would be inappropriate to comment further."

At this time, in the interest of transparency, although the criminal investigation continues to be active, we at the Lakeland Police Department have requested and received the approval of the State Attorney's Office to release all the videos which show the shooting that occurred on October 3rd. Raw files of the videos have been submitted to the State Attorney's Office and media. The clips shown here have been shortened for the sake of time, showing only when activity is occurring.

Though citizens may have strong feelings about what is depicted, we ask you to remain patient as our department continues to work with the State Attorney's Office to investigate.

I think legally, because the man had a weapon, he may be able to get some slack for self defense. A local attorney has this to say though.

"The law specifically says you cannot, I repeat, cannot use deadly force to protect a property crime." - Attorney Kevin Hayslett

This should be interesting investigation to say the least. Although I personally do not find it to be a justified shooting, I believe I could still succeed in defending it legally with the right jurors. In my professional opinion, Mr. Dunn was in fear of his life as to what would happen if Mr. Lopez suddenly lunges at him in close proximity with this bladed weapon. As well, he was in fear for the lives of his fellow citizens, and what danger they may be with whatever motives this man had with this stolen lethal weapon. He was doing a public service in what he believed to be an imminent threat to life and well being of himself or others. What yall think?

posted on Oct, 15 2018 @ 10:13 PM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

Did he Have to Kill the Guy ? Geez , couldn't have Shot him in the Buttocks instead ? This is a Sad Story.........(

+5 more 
posted on Oct, 15 2018 @ 10:18 PM
link   
That guy might be charged. Once the criminal flees the fight is over. Your job is to gather your thoughts and absorb as much detail as possible and be a good witness for when law enforcement gets there.

Edit to add:

I think he WILL be charged with murder or manslaughter.
edit on 15 10 18 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2018 @ 10:18 PM
link   

This commissioner doesn’t need to be holding. He made a rash decision that took someone’s life. He is poorly trained and should never be allowed to handle any gun. PERIOD

posted on Oct, 15 2018 @ 10:23 PM
link   
I don't know guys. We all know this state has a history of mentally unhinged criminals, and with this criminal now in possession of a lethal weapon, it is possible he sought to inflict harm onto someone immediately after. I believe we should move to dismiss.

But we are open to suggestions on reduced charges if they are reasonable and rational. I offer at best criminal negligence.
edit on 10-15-2018 by worldstarcountry because: (no reason given)

+2 more 
posted on Oct, 15 2018 @ 10:25 PM
link   

He was running away. There is no threat there, active or otherwise.

He should be charged.

+3 more 
posted on Oct, 15 2018 @ 10:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zanti Misfit

Did he Have to Kill the Guy ? Geez , couldn't have Shot him in the Buttocks instead ? This is a Sad Story.........(

I really hate seeing comments like this.

You do not shoot someone unless you intend to kill them.

Shooting someone in the ass is deadly force. You could easily destroy the spine with a gunshot to the ass.

You don't employ deadly force in scenarios that don't call for it.

As I said above, once the guy runs the fight is over. Shooting someone once the fight is over is assault with a deadly weapon, manslaughter, or murder at worst.
edit on 15 10 18 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2018 @ 10:29 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull
We will accept criminal negligence. Sounds good?

posted on Oct, 15 2018 @ 10:33 PM
link   
The owner could have wounded the guy. I do not think it justifies killing the guy. The laws in Florida do seem to protect someone shooting a criminal more than they do here. Here, if you shoot someone in your house if they break in, it is acceptable, but if they go out of the house, you could get charged or sued. If they have a weapon then you can shoot them outside once they have been in your house to rob it.

posted on Oct, 15 2018 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Once the perpetrator flees and you shoot him in the back, that's manslaughter and the law states you can not use deadly force in response to a property crime.

posted on Oct, 15 2018 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Well if that is what the courts decide then I would accept that. But I strongly feel that in this case a stand needs to be made. People nowadays treat weapons like toys all to often. And that has to stop!

posted on Oct, 15 2018 @ 10:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn

originally posted by: Zanti Misfit

I really hate seeing comments like this.

You do not shoot someone unless you intend to kill them.

Shooting someone in the ass is deadly force. You could easily destroy the spine with a gunshot to the ass.

You don't employ deadly force in scenarios that don't call for it.

As I said above, once the guy runs the fight is over. Shooting someone once the fight is over is assault with a deadly weapon, manslaughter, or murder at worst.

Makes Sense . He was no longer a Threat once he took off .

posted on Oct, 15 2018 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Looked a little murdery to me. Two shots right in the heart.

It’s not like the guy was taking hostages or even brandishing his weapon.

If the guy was swinging that thing around sure cap em. But that was not the case here.

posted on Oct, 15 2018 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Wow, the victim was clearly trying to pull away, to flee, was no threat to anyone. Not justified.

posted on Oct, 15 2018 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Murder..pretty straightforward in my eyes, there was no threat, this is why some people do not deserve to carry.

posted on Oct, 15 2018 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Q: How much does a hatchet cost?
A: More than an arm and a leg.

Just wrong on every level.

P

posted on Oct, 15 2018 @ 11:47 PM
link   
I’m usually one to not judge these cases as we weren’t there but in this case I call foul on the shooting doesn’t look even close to justified to me, if the guy had brought out the hatchet while they were tangling that’d be one thing but the dude was trying to get away this makes proper self defense look bad....

posted on Oct, 15 2018 @ 11:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod
Murder..pretty straightforward in my eyes, there was no threat, this is why some people do not deserve to carry.

This isn’t even a carry issue the guy was in his own business, this was a bad call on the guys part but to condemn all carry over it is asinine.

posted on Oct, 15 2018 @ 11:57 PM
link   

The law specifically says you cannot, I repeat, cannot use deadly force to protect a property crime." - Attorney Kevin Hayslett

First off that is one messed up law... When someone breaks into you house how do you know if they want your T.V. or your life ?

As far as I am concerned one less thief to have to deal with in someone Else's future.

posted on Oct, 15 2018 @ 11:57 PM
link   
would anyone's opinion change if the lethally armed shoplifter had a history of violent and/or criminal behavior?? Although I doubt it to be the case or the news would have reported it by now.

I feel the lesson here is, when someone has a gun on you and is demanding compliance, perhaps just comply?? Unless your sourrounded by narco terrorists with rifles. May as well force them to blast you to avoid being sliced to pieces on video while alive. It is like the reality of his regrets hit him as he holds himself up on the initial fall.

In Florida, you goddamn listen, or this will happen. Besides, that jackass had a demeanor that was like "how dare this businessman and civil servant stop me from just taking what I want" . Extreme leftists take note, Florida will not tolerate and accept criminal behavior.

I honestly think maybe it is time to revisit lethal force for property crimes if you ask me. Maybe shoot the next idiot that tries to yank flags off peoples' property too. Maybe people will start having better manners and behave then.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join