It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lakeland, Florida City Commisioner Shoots and Kills Perp Shoplifting From His Business

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 11:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Scifi2424

originally posted by: Kester
a reply to: roadgravel

It looks clear. The store owner tried to stop him leaving, when that failed he shot him to stop him leaving, not because he felt in danger. If the store owner felt he was in danger he could have stood back to let him escape.

Well it does look like he fell with the hatchet. Are we not so sure he was on his way to bury that hatchet in someone else? The guy actually left the store with the hatchet. He could have left it and then left the store. Looks to me he was on a mission.

Now lets say they guy left and murdered a bunch of kids and we have this same video but without the shooting. Then these same people here would be calling for the armed store owner to be hung for not stopping the perp. Heck, he would probably get sued.

I wouldn't convict..

See this doesn’t wash at all once the store owner drew down on him his trying to remove the hatchet and “return” it that could be construed as him brandishing the weapon and thus making it more likely that he’d be shot justifiably his best action would have been to obey the verbal commands of the store owner (I’m assuming he told the guy to stop once he had him at gun point) and lay down on the ground and wait for the police and take the charge like a man. This isn’t defending the store owners actions but him reaching for the hatchet would have been akin to suicide so his two options were to be detained and take the charge or gamble with his life by trying to get away and sadly that gamble didn’t work out for the guy, I’m not condoning thievery either he should have faced a jury of 12 not be carried by 6 over petty theft.

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 11:29 AM
link   
I've said it before and it bears repeating: WTF is in the water in Florida?

This doesn't seem like it's going to work out in the favor of the commissioner--I can't imagine a grand jury that wouldn't see the last portion of that footage and think that he had a need to shoot a man. It's disgusting to watch, honestly. He seems so nonchalant about it, too.

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Without watching 1 video in the thread and simply reading the comments presented, I'm guessing that the victim was white?

Do I win?

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 01:06 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
Hey man, what do you think I'm trying to do here. The responses have provided quite a good sampling for jury selection.

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 01:12 PM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

I thought this was all you trying to rationalize the "merits" of Your Protection Racket™.

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 01:20 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

It's disgusting to watch

It makes me sad. Usually I don't feel anything if I see a video of a shopkeeper shooting a thief.

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 01:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod
a reply to: Scifi2424

Now lets say they guy left and murdered a bunch of kids and we have this same video but without the shooting. Then these same people here would be calling for the armed store owner to be hung for not stopping the perp. Heck, he would probably get sued.

Fantasy [email protected] go ahead and imagine this guy is a hero..ffs

The guy did have the hatchet in his hand and there was a struggle at the door so its an armed robbery at that point. How can you see it any other way? I would rather the guy be dead than running around with a hatchet. He already showed his propensity to be violent in the small struggle at the door.

Just because you don't have the emotional maturity to call this what it is doesn't make the shooter a murderer.

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 01:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Kester

Yeah, that's my point--I can handle these videos fine when there is obvious, or even just possible evidence that the shooting was justified.

This is basically watching a murder

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 01:33 PM
link   
a reply to: SR1TX

Like I said no sympathy for the thief. I hope the Commissioner gets off.

But hey, Criminals should just be let loose to do want they want according to you.

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 01:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel

I'm not feeling sorrow for criminals but using the thought of potential crimes against someone is out there. That can make everyone a suspect.

Point is taken to a certain extent. Not sure a paying customer is equal to a violent criminal stealing a hatchet and my statement making them both an equal suspect. Leaving that aside, he was still armed with a hatchet when he was shot was he not? Better him dead than the store owner or some innocent bystander he was on his way to in that next caper.

Then again, maybe we will see some baby pictures of the perp and we can all melt..

edit on 16-10-2018 by Scifi2424 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 01:37 PM
link   

armed with a hatchet

Carrying a stolen hatchet. I saw no sign he was intending to use it as a weapon.

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 01:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Subrosabelow

originally posted by: highvein

Letting a criminal, who just stole a weapon, go would not be the best idea. Someone stole a weapon.

Also the thief didn't even seem to care that the Commish had a gun.

I don't have sympathy for the thief. Someone with that mentality is not helping the gene pool.

No, it's still murder. The guy was running and offered no fight, nor resistance. You can't just decide that the dude could maybe, potentially use that hatchet on someone while fleeing after he left the shop. If the robber had threatened to harm someone, raised the hatchet or otherwise proved himself a serious threat, then sure, I can buy stopping him. But not when the guy is running away.

It might be illegal to shoot the thief, but I think if you put yourself in a position were you could get shot it is your own fault.

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 01:43 PM
link   

armed with a hatchet

Carrying a stolen hatchet. I saw no sign he was intending to use it as a weapon.
Not even carrying it it was stuffed into his waistband from the looks of it.

ETA never mind he was holding it still he never tried to square up with the guy.
edit on 10/16/2018 by BigDave-AR because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 01:45 PM
link   

armed with a hatchet

You also saw no sign he wasn't intending to use it as a weapon. Neither of us is a mind reader. I give the store owner the benefit of the doubt on the fear factor. He is the one that has to live with his choice to shoot. From the video I saw I say its a legit shoot.

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Parishna

So death sentence for being slow..

Not even close to what I said. I just don't have sympathy for a thief. They choose to put themselves in that position.

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 01:48 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
That's for Venezuela remember?? The feds have monopolized the racket here.

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 01:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: highvein
a reply to: Parishna

So death sentence for being slow..

Not even close to what I said. I just don't have sympathy for a thief. They choose to put themselves in that position.

Perhaps we should just go sharia law and cut his hand off theft does not merit capital punishment. Y’all are killing me.

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 01:51 PM
link   

On the plus side, the guy won't shoplift again. I wouldn't convict the owner of any wrongdoing if I was on whatever jury they seat to hear his case.

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 01:52 PM
link   
a reply to: BigDave-AR

I would support that 100% in this country. Something needs to be done, as the current tactics are failing.

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 01:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
a reply to: BigDave-AR

I would support that 100% in this country. Something needs to be done, as the current tactics are failing.

Where does that slope end? Death for grand theft, amputation of hands for simple petty theft, what should the punishment for white collar theft be, perhaps a frontal lobotomy?
edit on 10/16/2018 by BigDave-AR because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join