It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

National Solar Observatory, USPS office in Sunspot, NM evacuated for 'safety reasons'

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2018 @ 09:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: MrBuddy

17 mins ·
Sunspot apologies for the continued closure of the facilities. Listed below is the latest statement from AURA. As we receive new information we will share with you.
The Association of Universities for Research in Astronomy (AURA) is addressing a security issue at the National Solar Observatory facility at Sacramento Peak, New Mexico and has decided to temporarily vacate the facility as a precautionary measure. AURA, which manages Sacramento Peak with funding from NSF, is working with the proper authorities on this issue. We have no further comment at this time.

This was just posted on their FB page less than 20 minutes ago...

So it wasnt a scheduled move or seasonal shutdown ,,thanks for the digging

+20 more 
posted on Sep, 9 2018 @ 09:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Chadwickus

Perhaps you didn't read the article that I posted regarding the NSO site getting involved into other areas of observation rather than just recording sun spots. You should take a look at their website as they do far more than just "look at the sun".

They are a small part of a larger unit of observatories...all of which share information on a wide array of space type sciences. In fact, the NSO found 12 more moons around Saturn that no one knew existed. They didn't do that by watching the sun.

Also, they have recently begun to observe the skies using a new mirror that will allow them to view space in UV wavelengths. There aren't many observatories in the world that are capable of doing this.

Rather than attack people for their views, you could join the conversation by adding something of relevance, or at least know something more about what you're talking about besides a quick jaunt to Wiki??

posted on Sep, 9 2018 @ 09:50 PM
link   
a reply to: MrBuddy

No worries, thats just how people on the internetz pretend they know everything

Thank you for the contributions to this thread, its got me sucked in

posted on Sep, 9 2018 @ 09:51 PM
link   
I vacationed in Cloud Croft countless times
growing up in the area and I have been to SunSpot
numerous times.

It’s way up the mountain
a very tough place to breach security wise.
It was certainly not high security when I was there
as we were allowed to walk all over the premises.
Maybe a nut showed up w a gun demanding a UV
image of Planet 9 ?

posted on Sep, 9 2018 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Yeah, I did read it, the one in Hawaii yeah?

Fair way from New Mexico...

posted on Sep, 9 2018 @ 10:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Whatthedoctorordered

No worries, thats just how people on the internetz pretend they know everything

Thank you for the contributions to this thread, its got me sucked in

Like saying you'll get blinded by pointing a solar telescope at the sun eh?

posted on Sep, 9 2018 @ 10:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: NoCorruptionAllowed

originally posted by: Whatthedoctorordered

originally posted by: Chadwickus
a reply to: Whatthedoctorordered

It's a solar telescope, so if you want to be picky, which it sounds like you do, then all other solar telescopes are pointed at 1 specific target in the sky, that big bright star.

en.m.wikipedia.org...

Then if they are all seeing the exact same thing, why do we need more than one?

Reduce personal expenses and travel costs getting to only one of them? Assuming more than a few people want to look.

They sent up the Parker Solar Probe too
28 days 16 hours 43 minutes 56 seconds
since launch on August 12, 2018 at 3:31 a.m. EDT (7:31 U

A NASA Mission to Touch the Sun
parkersolarprobe.jhuapl.edu...-sun

With the closeness of the Parker Solar Probe to the Sun, WISPR will be capturing images with clarity like never before, he said, because those images actually pick up nearly at the same point where the other telescopes loose resolution. "What we're going to achieve is just absolutely amazing. Stay tuned—we're going to see stuff that we just never would have imagined, I'm sure," said Howard. Read more at: phys.org...

Understanding how the Sun's atmosphere then flows through the solar system, called space weather, is extremely important because it can have dramatic effects on communications, power and other essential technologies that the U.S. Navy fleet relies on, said Howard. "What this mission is going to be able do is pin down exactly what the structure close to the sun is—the overall structure. We'll be able to image that," said Howard. "But also, there's an experiment that will measure the strength of the magnetic fields, the electric fields—the structure of the plasma we're running through." Read more at: phys.org...

edit on 9-9-2018 by SeaWorthy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2018 @ 10:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: UnderKingsPeak
numerous times.

It’s way up the mountain
image of Planet 9 ?

The high security areas may still exist maybe even underground.

+5 more 
posted on Sep, 9 2018 @ 10:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: OneArmedBandit

a reply to: Whatthedoctorordered

It's a solar telescope, so if you want to be picky, which it sounds like you do, then all other solar telescopes are pointed at 1 specific target in the sky, that big bright star.

You mustnt know anything about telescopes, u would fry out your eyes if you point one at the sun. Just try it.

I'm baffled by how many people starred you for this.

Notice I said solar telescope?
Notice I linked to a wiki page about solar telescopes?

I think it is a knee jerk reaction because your tone seems angry and derogatory whether you mean things that way or not.

edit on 9-9-2018 by SeaWorthy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2018 @ 11:21 PM
link   
You're looking from completely different angles and distances though. Maybe it's just a google glitch, or maybe it's something that can only be seen from a certain angle?

posted on Sep, 9 2018 @ 11:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr
If i had to take a guess i would say something very dangerous was sent through the mail to the observatory. Thinking possibly sarin you would have to go through the area to make sure people are safe. So it wouldn't surprise me to evacuate the area to prevent people from being exposed. Also if I'm right its unlikely we will know since if people knew someone has attacked using sarin would scare people.

Guy in Arkansas called himself in last week cuz he thought he may have poisoned himself making ricin.

posted on Sep, 9 2018 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Maybe something is happening with the Sun and they shut down this place to not allow observation??

posted on Sep, 9 2018 @ 11:39 PM
link   
a reply to: sean

Not likely, there are other solar observatories still in effect. This one was/is one of the best, but we're not currently flying blind sun wise due to sunspot being off line by any means.

But there is something going on. And it's really freaking weird.
Nothing makes any sense at all about this.

(post by OneArmedBandit removed for a manners violation)

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 12:04 AM
link   
a reply to: OneArmedBandit

Doubling down are you?

And people wonder why I have a 'tone'

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 12:17 AM
link   
a reply to: OneArmedBandit

As per your earlier comment, a solar telescope is dedicated to observing the sun. There are several technologies dedicated to this task.
It's not simply pointing a telescope at the sun and looking through an eyepiece.

Edit to add,

I'm not an expert in the field by any means, but I do have an interest in the subject.
If you have any questions on solar observations feel free to ask.

I will Google it for you.
edit on 9 10 2018 by caterpillage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 07:15 AM
link   

It is believed that if there were another planet, we may not be able to see it because it would only register on the UV wavelengths. It is also believed that such a planet may be behind the sun.

...And all I could think of was Eternia. *facepalms and chuckles*

Seriously, tho- It would explain a whole host of things, ya know?

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 07:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: UnderKingsPeak
numerous times.

It’s way up the mountain
image of Planet 9 ?

I'm still hanging out on the 'alien visitors' wagon- mostly because it's fun to speculate.

If, IF you were to invite ET to the planet, and needed someplace quiet, secluded, secure, and securable- would this be on your list of places to tell them to park there?

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 09:08 AM
link   
In 1971, UFO lore has it that several ufos landed at Holliman AFB. Perhaps they are due to return this week and the gov. is shutting down the closest OBSERVATORY to the base so that whatever visits can do so without being OBSERVED.

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Looking at google maps, there are 121+ photos listed at the visitory center. when scrolling through them, the most recent ones I see are dated Aug 2018, so it wasn't that long ago that people were still visiting the site and taking photos. They range in locations from around the site to inside various buildings.

As of this posting, there are still only two news stories listed about this event, both of which have been referenced several times in this thread. For completeness, here they are:

Sunspot Observatory closed due to security issue

National Solar Observatory, USPS office in Sunspot, NM evacuated for 'safety reasons'

From the Sunspot Solar Observatory Facebook Page:

Sunspot apologizes for the continued closure of the facilities. Listed below is the latest statement from AURA. As we receive new information we will share with you.

The Association of Universities for Research in Astronomy (AURA) is addressing a security issue at the National Solar Observatory facility at Sacramento Peak, New Mexico and has decided to temporarily vacate the facility as a precautionary measure. AURA, which manages Sacramento Peak with funding from NSF, is working with the proper authorities on this issue. We have no further comment at this time.

Here's hoping that MrBuddy is able to glean more information from the reporter with which he (or she) is in contact.

ETA:

From Yelp:

Lady at the front desk was extremely rude. Didn't say hello. Didn't say goodbye. Not to my family and I anyway. Other people came in and she was communicative. She stared at my father while he read the informational boards as if he were going to steal something...

Did not like the vibe at all. Hard pass. Won't be coming back.

There IS cool information here, but I prefer not to be made felt uncomfortable. Maybe if someone else worked the front desk and showed even minor enthusiasm or offered some assistance with the information - that would have at least brought it to 3 stars.

Not a fan of this place.

The above was posted July 2018.
edit on 10-9-2018 by jadedANDcynical because: added Yelp comment

new topics

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join