It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

National Solar Observatory, USPS office in Sunspot, NM evacuated for 'safety reasons'

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2018 @ 07:32 PM
link   
a reply to: MrBuddy

If youre interested in further phone calls, perhaps a call to apache point observatory might turn up a lead. That observatory is a mile away and is said to be line of sight from sunspot.
I thought of calling, but I'm not good at that type of thing, plus you're a science writer!

Apache point observatory phone number as per their publicly posted face book page is 5754376822.

posted on Sep, 9 2018 @ 07:46 PM
link   
a reply to: caterpillage

I just tried that and was given 3 choices to choose:

1) I could ring the 3mm

2) I could ring the 5mm

3 I could ring the whole site

I tried all 3. No one answered and no way to leave a message.

posted on Sep, 9 2018 @ 07:55 PM
link   
a reply to: SeaWorthy

"Armageddon" is the name of the movie.

posted on Sep, 9 2018 @ 08:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Plotus

Sunspot catastrophe warning?

No.

You do realise that there is more than one solar observatory right?

posted on Sep, 9 2018 @ 08:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: MrBuddy

17 mins ·
Sunspot apologies for the continued closure of the facilities. Listed below is the latest statement from AURA. As we receive new information we will share with you.
The Association of Universities for Research in Astronomy (AURA) is addressing a security issue at the National Solar Observatory facility at Sacramento Peak, New Mexico and has decided to temporarily vacate the facility as a precautionary measure. AURA, which manages Sacramento Peak with funding from NSF, is working with the proper authorities on this issue. We have no further comment at this time.

This was just posted on their FB page less than 20 minutes ago...

Wow- that was informative of them. NOT. Makes you wish there was a webcam of the place, and someone forgot to shut the thing off. I think there's something going on there that'd make us all crap ourselves.

posted on Sep, 9 2018 @ 08:44 PM
link   
So I've been sitting here thinking about the Post Office part of the story. This is the oddest part. I'm wondering how tight security is at this facility. Can any scientist or civilian just bring their laptops into work and then take them back to where they are living? Do they have access to upload or download anything they choose? I know at work here, there are firewalls that restrict certain things.

Suppose someone got wind of something they weren't supposed to know. Maybe an object near the sun perhaps. Then suppose that security is tight. Maybe the observations can't be downloaded or uploaded and perhaps cell signals are non-existent at that height.

If it were me, I'd take as many photos of whatever information I could, then package up my cell phone or camera and send it through the mail.

Two interesting tid-bits that the doomsdayer in me just can't help but mention:

1) Lots of news lately regarding the scientific community's belief that another planet exists in our solar system and that
it's only a matter of time until it's found.

www.washingtonpost.com... a-a495-11e8-8fac-12e98c13528d_story.html

2) The NSO recently produced a mirror that will allow the observatory to see in UV and Visual. This was in June and
was to be installed at some later unannounced time.

www.nso.edu...

It is believed that if there were another planet, we may not be able to see it because it would only register on the UV wavelengths. It is also believed that such a planet may be behind the sun.

I believe that there are very few observatories that view space using UV. I know that the one the Catholic Church has control of does, and there are a few that are controlled by various governments around the globe. Suppose....just suppose, that NSO (the one observatory that isn't under direct control of the government) hooked up their fancy new mirror, pointed it at the sun, and seen something that they weren't meant to see. Maybe this planet, maybe something else. In any event, some scientist records the event using a camera, cell phone, or whatever, then sends it to himself or someone else.
This would explain why the Post Office is evacuated. It also explains people on the antenna array...probably making sure that the information being received is stopped while "they" do damage control.

Okay...I realize this is all very speculative and easily not true, but this is ATS and what good is a thread without mentioning some type of Nibiru conspiracy?

Forgive me

posted on Sep, 9 2018 @ 08:48 PM
link   

July 13

Fire managers on the Smokey Bear Ranger District of the Lincoln National Forest hope to take advantage of favorable conditions, including fuel moisture levels, air quality and forecasted weather, to conduct pile burning as early as July 16, until the end of September.

www.ruidosonews.com...

Just throwing this in

Forest Service planning burns in the Lincoln National Forest. What is listed seems to be north but plans may have changed. Could this be part of the issue? Can't see the need for secrecy though.
edit on 9/9/2018 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2018 @ 08:50 PM
link   
a reply to: MrBuddy

Or perhaps they saw something coming at us, and the feds are trying to keep it under wraps

posted on Sep, 9 2018 @ 08:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Whatthedoctorordered

By closing one telescope out of thousands?

Let's at least try to use a little bit of thought please.

posted on Sep, 9 2018 @ 08:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Chadwickus

By closing one telescope out of thousands?

Let's at least try to use a little bit of thought please.

Who knows, maybe they were the only one to pick it up yet?

You do know how huge the sky is right? And that not all telescopes are pointed to the same areas?
You do ALSO know that most of them, unless directed to an area, dont all see the same things?

Indeed lets use some thought please.
edit on 9-9-2018 by Whatthedoctorordered because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2018 @ 08:58 PM
link   

It's a solar telescope, so if you want to be picky, which it sounds like you do, then all other solar telescopes are pointed at 1 specific target in the sky, that big bright star.

en.m.wikipedia.org...

edit on 9/9/18 by Chadwickus because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2018 @ 09:02 PM
link   

It's a solar telescope, so if you want to be picky, which it sounds like you do, then all other solar telescopes are pointed at 1 specific target in the sky, that big bright star.

You mustnt know anything about telescopes, u would fry out your eyes if you point one at the sun. Just try it.

posted on Sep, 9 2018 @ 09:02 PM
link   

en.m.wikipedia.org...

Then if they are all seeing the exact same thing, why do we need more than one?

posted on Sep, 9 2018 @ 09:05 PM
link   
a reply to: OneArmedBandit

Solar telescopes

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Sep, 9 2018 @ 09:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Whatthedoctorordered

en.m.wikipedia.org...

Reduce personal expenses and travel costs getting to only one of them? Assuming more than a few people want to look.

posted on Sep, 9 2018 @ 09:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: MrBuddy
OK.....I just went for the gusto. I called the news station KVIA News 7 which is the outlet that first reported this story and they were more than willing to speak to me as a writer for Science Monthly Online.

The first guy I spoke with gave me the name of the reporter handling the story. His name is Maricio Castiles and he agreed to speak with me right then!

He told me that he has been up there every day since the helicopters and FBI were spotted. At present, the whole area is cordoned off and no one is allowed anywhere near the place. FBI vehicles are blocking all entry points to the observatory itself and according to a source of his, no one is allowed to speak to the press.

He seemed very perturbed by the notion that something was happening in his jurisdiction and he could get no answers. I asked him if any residents had been evacuated and he told me that only select ones were but had no other information on who specifically. I then asked if the residents were just civilians or people that worked at the observatory and again, he had no information on that.

I asked him if the FBI gave him any information as to what was happening and he said that he has called the FBI multiple times and they always refer him to the University with questions. When he calls the University to inquire about what is happening, they refer him back to the FBI. He flatly said that this is highly unusual and that he has never been stonewalled like this.

I asked him about the Sheriffs office and if they knew what was going on. He told me that he has spoken to the Sheriff multiple times and that the Sheriffs assures him that the FBI will not tell him anything either.

Mr. Castiles also told me that he has a friend with another station out of Albuquerque, NM that has come to Sunspot to inquire and that he has received calls from all the major networks seeking information. So it appears that people are starting to notice the happenings at Sunspot.

At the end of the conversation, he told me what followed was off the record and I agreed. He said that a source within the FBI told him that early this week there will be a press conference from....someone, regarding what's happening. I pressed him a bit as to whether this would be just some local press conference or a far larger one, he said only that it would be bigger than just local but that was all the information he had.

The best part is that he told me that I could call him back tomorrow and perhaps he would have more information. Got his number right to his desk to bypass the gate-keeper.

I ended the conversation by asking for his assurance that he would be on top of this story and he replied that there was no way he would stop until he got the answers. He seemed like a very good reporter to me and never once did he try to get me off the phone. In fact, he seemed glad that other people were interested. I told him that there were many people interested and thanked him for his diligence.

I will certainly call him tomorrow if there's no press conference and then post everything here

WTG thanks for the information, glad to hear somebody is asking questions.

posted on Sep, 9 2018 @ 09:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Whatthedoctorordered

en.m.wikipedia.org...

they use more than one telescope so that the sun can be viewed as much in a 24-hour period as possible, line of sight type thing....from all around the world, then "stitiching" the recordings/data together to assess.
edit on 9-9-2018 by TruthJava because: typo

+6 more 
posted on Sep, 9 2018 @ 09:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Chadwickus

What is your speculation on this event? Do you have a theory of sorts, or just trying to ensure that everyone knows how stupid you think they are?

Lets use a little thought and hear your theory, please.

posted on Sep, 9 2018 @ 09:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: OneArmedBandit

You mustnt know anything about telescopes, u would fry out your eyes if you point one at the sun. Just try it.

I'm baffled by how many people starred you for this.

Notice I said solar telescope?
Notice I linked to a wiki page about solar telescopes?

posted on Sep, 9 2018 @ 09:45 PM
link   
So the Solar Observatory AND the Post Office have been closed for 'security reasons'?

I'd bet good money somebody sent something to them in the mail. With the FBI involved, it's very likely.

Possible bomb threat?
edit on 9-9-2018 by CryHavoc because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join