It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need some game advice / info (???)

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Welcome to the wild world of being the hero in your playable story! Long-time gamer here...

So here goes from my viewpoint

1. You got the idea. FPS tend to be most popular (unfortunately) there are RTSs (real-time strategy) where you build your base and destroy another, like Starcraft
(My fave type), MMOPGs (massive multiplayer online games) like WOW and ESO, then you have others like Minecraft. And a ton of indie games that cater from everything like 2-D and side scrollers, to turn-based RPGs (role-playing games)

2. Nowadays most everything is online even if you play by yourself. Bethesda specializes in great solo-play RPGs. I miss the days of Contra and Mortal Kombat, Mario Kart or Sonic and Tails, games you could play with a friend before internet

3. Depends on what you want really. Graphics is PCs domain and sometimes titles. I have an XBox one, PS is also very popular.

4. Nope. Not even. Maybe one day if you dig it. Games can get deep with gear let alone the machine to play on. The VR world is about to take of, so maybe....

5. Master Race is PC. Like i said, it can get crazy digital

6. Practice makes perfect. But first, find out what you like to play. If PacMan is your favorite, do it to it!!

7. Trolls are everywhere, refer to answer 6....

8. Absolutely. Called Skyrim or Diablo even old-school Duke Nukem and Goldeneye 007

Hope this helps! Worlds await to be saved, conquered, claimed, searched and explored...

Good luck and Happy Hunting

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 02:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Macenroe82

FCD, if you do go XboxOne, look me up. I’ve been at it awhile and I will show the ropes

Hint: I will be easy to find...

edit on 22-8-2018 by slatesteam because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: raedar

FO76 FTW! 11/14

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I'd recommend getting a PS 4. It has more exclusive AAA games than Xbone, and overall a better game selection. There are tons of great games only available on consoles and not on PC, and PC gaming is an expensive proposition, since you'll always be pouring money into it to keep up with technology. With consoles, you're typically good for 5 years give or take. Plus a controller is easier to game with than mouse/keyboard, and you can relax on the couch or wherever to play, versus being hunched over a little computer monitor.

There are a lot of PS4 game classics on discount now (GTA5, No Mans Sky etc) so you can dive in relatively cheap, and get a good idea of what game genres you enjoy

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 02:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: vlawde
No Mans Sky

You want his first gaming experiences to be disappointing?

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Why would it be disappointing? It may be a type of game he would like. I like it

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 03:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: vlawde
Why would it be disappointing? It may be a type of game he would like. I like it

I thought it felt like playing GTA with only one model of car available, but that model appearing in the game in 300 different color patters and Rockstar saying "Look, over 300 different cars are available for you to steal and drive!"

NMS was fun for a few hours, then it became a repetitive experience which was disappointing considering the promise the game initially had.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 03:48 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

That may be, I've just started it last week after hearing about the update. My point being there are great games that have been reduced in prices after being out for a while

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Regardless of what you get pick up DOOM for like 10 bucks.

Thank me later.

video works, just looks like it doesnt lol
edit on 22-8-2018 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 04:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
a reply to: Allaroundyou

Are you trying to figure out a present for a young one?

Yeah...ME! (a kid at heart)

Seriously, it's just me. Doubt the wife would ever get into it, and no kids around. So, just me.

Sorry it took me so long to get back to ya. Had to play catch up at work. So obviously you like shooting. A game called “Serious Sam” would be a easy and fun way to waste time. You can get this game on PC or an original Xbox. I would say get the original Xbox at a pawn shop and also a copy of HALO if you can find it. In regards to “quest” type games they can get pretty frustrating and make one “rage quit”. Essentially not want to play for a long time. I say stick with what you like doing not in the “Matrix”!

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 05:28 PM
link   
I started gaming with Pong as well and I know where you are coming from. I don’t play on any consoles because I have always been a PC guy since their first computers.

I am an avid gamer, but I usually don’t play games with others. I enjoy simulation like baseball team management games, Civilization series and strategic conquest.

I do play some online games like Everquest, Age of Conan, Star Trek Online and have played a lot of older games that aren’t really around anymore.

I recommend a PC unlike the console people. A console controller requires more dexterity than a PC interface and almost everything is available with a few clicks and a download on PC.

I bought Consoles for the family, but the variety and lack of customization usually makes them limiting. I don’t like them at all.
edit on 2018/8/22 by Metallicus because: Sp

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 08:34 PM
link   

I hate to say this as an once-upon-a-time avid electronic gamer ..... stay analog.

Get yourself a nice pool table, pure analog. Something like a 8x4 one piece or 3 piece slate bed at least 3/4 inch thick. Get some simonis 860 HR cloth and never look back. Exercise, meditation and instant understandable feedback all in one package. You don't even need a partner. Put on your favorite music or podcast and the hours will simply slip away in a world of bliss.

It will last for the rest of your life. No need to ever purchase new 'games'. With a drills across the table and walk around setup method, you can get about 900-1000 steps per 30 balls sunk. You can challenge yourself as much or as little as you want. You can even play co-op or deathmatch with friends or family.

Soon, even this medium will be electronic and you can play with people the world round from the comfort of your home:

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 08:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic
Get a decent PC and a Nintendo switch.

Yep
That would be a plan

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 06:11 AM
link   
a reply to: ClovenSky

You know, that's a pretty good idea! I've been wanting to get a pool table in the house for over 3 decades. Just haven't done it yet...and frankly, this is part of the reason I asked about video games even. I'd like a hobby.

I love the game of pool, always have, ever since I was just a kid. Used to be pretty good at it too.

BTW, that electronic topped table is pretty cool! Probably be pretty distracting though getting the shot right. (maybe not for a pro, but it would be for me).

Thanks

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 08:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
a reply to: Gothmog

The games are categorized on Steam and GOG

What does this mean? I don't understand.

Steam is a program you install that houses all your games , no need to do a install with Disks , all the games you own are stored on your account.

So lets say you buy a new computer you just install steam and you got acces to your games right away , and you can download and install them.

The download rate is pretty good , i download with normal cable with around 20 mb per sec.

It also has a store where you can buy many games.

A few game publishers do not work with steam so they have a similar program to use.

edit on 23-8-2018 by TheGreazel because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 08:27 AM
link   

If i was you get a console ps4 or xbox. With a pc yo will be upgrading all the time and can be costly. Maybe that can be a future plan at some point

Most games are either multiplayer or single player options.

Would be easier id you just buy a console and the rest will kind of answer itself as you will find your niche area of interest.

If you have a 4k tv or thinking od getting one then get a 4k console

There are plenty of free or cheap games to by that are not as high end as call of duty but still.mega run. Like Rocket league or Fornite. This will also get you custom to using the controller.

Dont worry about cheats and hacks. Quite rare and does not ruin your gaming experince. Hacks are more geared towards pc users.

You dont need space to play unless you go down the VR route or Xbox kinect

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 08:39 AM
link   
a reply to: vlawde

Its certianley a nostalgic game to get lost in and has been imporved since. Now with the mutiplayer mode it seems to be getting there

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 11:37 AM
link   

I don't think the proponents of electronic gaming will be happy with that answer

But we are surrounded by electronics, immersed in electronics and pestered by electronics. It is nice every once in a while to get back to simplicity. You probably don't need much excuse to exercise with your land duties, but it can even be a source of meditation. Simple shot setup where there is a routine of getting down on the ball, body posture, composure, head placement for visual and the entire stroke. It has taken me years to redesign my stance and stroke, yet satiation is far far away, wonderfully. I can get lost for hours in simple drills where my only limitation is my physical body, weirdly the mental and spiritual always craves more. To the point I now get up hours before work to simply enjoy the pleasure of the routine. It even makes the day and stresses ease a bit.

You will develop muscles, coordination and spiritual stillness in the attempt to find the perfect stroke ... kind of like from the movie bagger vance:

There is a serenity of contentment in the pursuit of perfection. Almost like the more you understand reality, the more the stroke makes sense.

posted on Aug, 23 2018 @ 05:40 PM
link   

1. What are the basic types of video games? For example, some are first person shooter, some are quest type things (not sure what this is called), some build things, come are cartoonish, etc. Is there any way to quantify these games into different basic types for someone who doesn't even know where to start?

There are ton of different kinds! Most games these days have some kind of social element where you are either playing against or with other people. I'm not as excited about those kinds and they will require you to either have more controllers or equipment in your living room or an online connection and/or account to set you up with others although most games are digital download these days anyway and come with a digital pass for bells and whistles. You're renting now, not owning (which sucks IMO).

Your bit about cartoonish has to do with the game's style and that's an artistic/graphical thing more than anything else.

You can play FPS (first person shooter, which seeks to make it look like you're in the action directly), TPS (third person shooter, which gives you an avatar you watch from behind) and those are going to be action games where you die a thousand times a second (lol).

RTS (real-time strategy) are games where you look over the field of battle from above and direct your forces. You can play those against other players or an AI. You can still end up dying a thousand times a second though will you learn.

There are also games that are turn-based strategy types where the action pauses and you see a board set-up that lets you consider your moves. They tend to be more tactical. You'd be looking at games like the Civilization series and the XCOM games (ones I'm familiar with but there are many others).

There are also lots of simulation and exploration games where the object isn't to conquer or kill as much as it is to explore and build and create. Minecraft comes to mind and the Tycoon series. I would mention The Sims, but EA has more or less killed that off.

You have single player campaign games (RPGs), but good ones are harder to find because so many companies are mining the monetary potential of "games as service." You can still find some really good ones, especially if you are willing to play older games and don't need to play the newer titles or the AAA titles in favor of smaller, indie games.

And there are so. many. more ...

3. I see game consoles like Play Station and Xbox, etc. and I also see games you play on your PC. Which is better? What are the reasons to choose one over another?

What you choose really is a personal thing.

You never have to worry about the specs of your console when you go to buy a game unless you're coming to end of a generation and the next console in the series is about to come out. With PCs, you do have to worry about that. Your hardware might need upgrading.

PCs are more flexible in that a good gaming PC can cover your desktop needs too.

The real issue is that every console is made obsolete pretty regularly. You'll pay your hundreds to buy it and in a few years, the next one comes out at about $500 or whatever it will cost. So you know from the start your purchase has a planned obsolescence.

PCs will be the same, but you can upgrade your hardware in pieces over time. The last time I put together upper-midgrade builds for us, I managed to do it for around $800 each (and that was having to replace *everything* - even the cases). A lot of that stuff won't have to be replaced the next time I go in to plan upgrades for us which is one advantage to PC.

4. Can you just go get a game and load it up and play, or do you need like a whole living room full of other stuff? I mean, can you just use some kind of a simple game controller, or do you need like foot pedals, a helmet, VR goggles, a light saber and a robotic suit and stuff? In other words, what is a basic game set up for a noob?

Most games just need to be installed in either the console or the PC.

5. I read through some of the posts here and I'm stunned at some of the technical stuff I see. People talk about processing cores and video cards and "rays" and "AI" and "Neural nets" (whatever that is). I see things about latency, and rendering, and frame rates. I see posts about people buying $1,000 video cards for their computers to use on gaming. I even see things about people water cooling their PC's to keep them from 'overheating'. WOW...how would anyone even know where to start? Can you just use a stupid old laptop and a mouse or some kind of a USB connected controller, or do you have to go buy a CRAY super-computer with 2080 giga-floppies of CPU cycles per nanosecond which has a heat signature that can be seen from space and has to be cooled from a liquid nitrogen tanker parked in your driveway? Can someone break it down for me? What's the deal-eo here?

This is the advantage of console. It's all in the package.

It's gets more complicated with PCs. We started building our own after we bought a brand new package PC, were told it would run games, got it home, installed a game, and had to immediately go out and spend $200 upgrading our video card. Most gaming packages are way more expensive than your basic packages, and you can save money building your own. The thing is that it does take research.

If you choose to go that route, I would suggest having a friend who's done it before and can help you or having a good local parts store with a good tech support department (NOT Geek Squad) to back you. Theoretically, everything is designed to be modular and snap right together and fire up, but things happen. For example, this last time, one of our mother boards got assembled backasswards. It works, but we only know that because the tech support dept. tried it that way out of desperation.

6. How do you figure out where to start? How long does it take to even get to the point where you don't get killed like once per second?

I just had to find something I wanted to play enough that I beat my way through the learning curve. Once you start to get the hang of it. Your skills transfer to other games and the learning curve gets less each time.

7. I see posts about 'cheats' and 'hacks'. I see posts about people manipulating memory registers to get advantages and using 3rd party software to give them an advantage. How would any non-gamer person ever know how to even start out as a beginner and just have fun with all that going against you? I mean, I've seen posts about people who just go on-line to jack with people (i.e. kill their own team mates, etc.) just for fun?

Don't start out player v player. Learn the basics in a player v. AI environment.

edit on 23-8-2018 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 02:37 AM
link   
The whole was actually very informative for me

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join