It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need some game advice / info (???)

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 07:58 AM
link   
So, I've read a bunch of posts here about games and I'm fascinated, but I don't really know anything about video games at all. Consequently, I have a bunch of questions.

Background - My video game experience is basically Pong - ver. 1.00 (circa 1978) on a rad gaming console which basically was...pong (and that's it). Played Asteroids a few times in an arcade once (the B&W version). So, as you can see, I'm a highly experienced "gamer" with a bad-ass reputation and a phat resume. In other words, I basically don't know jack (or jill, or anyone else for that matter).

Okay, so I kinda' need someone to "break it down" for me, you know...gimme the 'down-low'. So feel free to lay it on me...Bro's!

Ahem...okay, seriously now...

1. What are the basic types of video games? For example, some are first person shooter, some are quest type things (not sure what this is called), some build things, come are cartoonish, etc. Is there any way to quantify these games into different basic types for someone who doesn't even know where to start?

2. Are all games on-line multi-player games, or are there some games you can just play by yourself?

3. I see game consoles like Play Station and Xbox, etc. and I also see games you play on your PC. Which is better? What are the reasons to choose one over another?

4. Can you just go get a game and load it up and play, or do you need like a whole living room full of other stuff? I mean, can you just use some kind of a simple game controller, or do you need like foot pedals, a helmet, VR goggles, a light saber and a robotic suit and stuff? In other words, what is a basic game set up for a noob?

5. I read through some of the posts here and I'm stunned at some of the technical stuff I see. People talk about processing cores and video cards and "rays" and "AI" and "Neural nets" (whatever that is). I see things about latency, and rendering, and frame rates. I see posts about people buying $1,000 video cards for their computers to use on gaming. I even see things about people water cooling their PC's to keep them from 'overheating'. WOW...how would anyone even know where to start? Can you just use a stupid old laptop and a mouse or some kind of a USB connected controller, or do you have to go buy a CRAY super-computer with 2080 giga-floppies of CPU cycles per nanosecond which has a heat signature that can be seen from space and has to be cooled from a liquid nitrogen tanker parked in your driveway? Can someone break it down for me? What's the deal-eo here?

6. How do you figure out where to start? How long does it take to even get to the point where you don't get killed like once per second?

7. I see posts about 'cheats' and 'hacks'. I see posts about people manipulating memory registers to get advantages and using 3rd party software to give them an advantage. How would any non-gamer person ever know how to even start out as a beginner and just have fun with all that going against you? I mean, I've seen posts about people who just go on-line to jack with people (i.e. kill their own team mates, etc.) just for fun?

8. Are there games where you can just play against the game, and not against someone else? In other words, what if you just want to play some game, but don't want to go into some on-line world and play against 10,000 other people who you don't know...can you do this?

It just seems all so overwhelming that finding a starting point seems impossible. I'm sure it's just my perception, but I'd like to at least try one sometime to see what it's all about.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

P.S. Levity added just for fun.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 08:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

WOW this will take a whole thread to have a full response to your question. I will answer your question after you answer mine.

Are you trying to figure out a present for a young one?

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 08:10 AM
link   

some of these questions I'll leave to other people as they may be better suited to answer.

2. Are all games on-line multi-player games, or are there some games you can just play by yourself?

Either or, and sometimes both. There is such a wide range of games out their these days, but it should say at point of purchase on the back of the box or if you're buying the digital copy online, on the buy page.

3. I see game consoles like Play Station and Xbox, etc. and I also see games you play on your PC. Which is better? What are the reasons to choose one over another?

If you're starting out, consoles are going to give you the most range of games for the $$, PC is usually for the more serious as it costs quite a bit.

I would suggest console to start off, which one depends on what you're looking for. Nintendo switch is great for the whole family, Playstation is great if you like single player games, and a wide range of them, and XBOX is IMO the best for multiplayer games, and as a entertainment system in general.

4. Can you just go get a game and load it up and play, or do you need like a whole living room full of other stuff?

A normal setup in the living room is fine for starting out.

5. I read through some of the posts here and I'm stunned at some of the technical stuff I see. People talk about processing cores and video cards and "rays" and "AI" and "Neural nets" (whatever that is). I see things about latency, and rendering, and frame rates.

You'll be fine if you get a console, as long as you have an HDMI port on your TV, all new ones, and most made in the last few years do, if it's a flat screen (plasma, led) you're golden.

6. How do you figure out where to start? How long does it take to even get to the point where you don't get killed like once per second?

Many games have a tutorial at the beginning bringing you through scenarios relatively slow while telling you what to do each step of the way.

7. I see posts about 'cheats' and 'hacks'.

Becoming more rare, almost non existent on consoles unless the game has a glitch they didn't catch before release which does happen from time to time, but typically that will be "patched" by the game developers.

8. Are there games where you can just play against the game, and not against someone else? In other words, what if you just want to play some game, but don't want to go into some on-line world and play against 10,000 other people who you don't know...can you do this?

Plenty, and once you play those enough and get confidence, throwing on a microphone and playing online with buddies is a blast.

You can play competitively , or cooperative. So if you don't want to get too crazy about it, you and a friend can take on the computer.

What games do you think you'd be into?

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Go to a Best Buy, pick up an Xbox one, the box will contain everything you need to play.

If you want to play some hardcore, blow everything up, in any type of military vehicle- pick up battlefield 4 to get you prepped for battlefield 5 coming out this year.

If you want immersive gameplay, allowing you to create and build a character from the ground up to explore and fight your way across an enormous map in a fantasy world - Skyrim Special edition or FF15.

If you want to take a ship across a scale model of our solar system, 400 billion planets to discover and explore - Elite Dangerous is what you want.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 08:14 AM
link   

1. What are the basic types of video games? For example, some are first person shooter, some are quest type things (not sure what this is called), some build things, come are cartoonish, etc. Is there any way to quantify these games into different basic types for someone who doesn't even know where to start?

The games are categorized on Steam and GOG

Most games have the ability for solo play

That depends on whether you want a throwaway console or a PC you can upgrade

4. Can you just go get a game and load it up and play, or do you need like a whole living room full of other stuff? I mean, can you just use some kind of a simple game controller, or do you need like foot pedals, a helmet, VR goggles, a light saber and a robotic suit and stuff? In other words, what is a basic game set up for a noob?

That depends on how serious you are *and one's budget"

5. I read through some of the posts here and I'm stunned at some of the technical stuff I see. People talk about processing cores and video cards and "rays" and "AI" and "Neural nets" (whatever that is). I see things about latency, and rendering, and frame rates. I see posts about people buying $1,000 video cards for their computers to use on gaming. I even see things about people water cooling their PC's to keep them from 'overheating'. WOW...how would anyone even know where to start? Can you just use a stupid old laptop and a mouse or some kind of a USB connected controller, or do you have to go buy a CRAY super-computer with 2080 giga-floppies of CPU cycles per nanosecond which has a heat signature that can be seen from space and has to be cooled from a liquid nitrogen tanker parked in your driveway? Can someone break it down for me? What's the deal-eo here?

Need assistance . You can always PM me

Patience grasshopper. I am at the point I mod my games to get that effect

7. I see posts about 'cheats' and 'hacks'. I see posts about people manipulating memory registers to get advantages and using 3rd party software to give them an advantage. How would any non-gamer person ever know how to even start out as a beginner and just have fun with all that going against you? I mean, I've seen posts about people who just go on-line to jack with people (i.e. kill their own team mates, etc.) just for fun?

Why would you want to buy a game , then cheat to do away with the value you just sunk into it ?

That is your decision

Hope this helps

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 08:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Allaroundyou

Yeah...ME! (a kid at heart)

Seriously, it's just me. Doubt the wife would ever get into it, and no kids around. So, just me.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Hi, I'd like to help. Most importantly I think is to know that there are dozens of genres of games to choose from, racing, simulation (run a garage, be a professional pilot, even work a farm), puzzle, role-playing, exploration, fighting, first person shooter and more.

My best advice is to aquire a midrange gaming rig; note that this is something of an investment. If you'd rather not go all in just to try out the modern world of gaming, a console is a cheaper but equally popular option.

Other bonuses with consoles is that you generally don't have to worry about any of the tech jargon...these are plug and play systems designed specifically for games. You'll need internet access to make them work optimally though.

My next bit of advice is to pick up an AAA title, like a Call of Duty, to get a good feel for what mainstream gaming is like. These are the "blockbusters" of the gaming world, with tons of money sunk into their production. They tend to be accessible is my point.

After that, it's just about experimenting, trying new things that are out of your wheelhouse. Head onto Steam.com and browse a colossal range of games with the added benefit of user reviews. Steam is for PC games though.
If you have a console, you'll be able to either buy hardcopy disks of games or download them from an online store.

I don't personally have a lot of nice things to say about online shooters (Call of Duty games have both a single-player campaign and an online component) but many people love them. But you can have tons of fun with exploration and role playing games like Skyrim with not another person around.

Good luck and most of all, have fun

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 08:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

What does this mean? I don't understand.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 08:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Macenroe82

If you want to take a ship across a scale model of our solar system, 400 billion planets to discover and explore - Elite Dangerous is what you want.

I haven't tried ED yet, but i must say I'm pretty impressed with the NEXT update for No Man's Sky. I (like everyone else...) was pretty pissed off with the game when it first came out, but IMO they've really redeemed themselves. Got 60 hours in it to date and still hooked.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 08:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
a reply to: Allaroundyou

Yeah...ME! (a kid at heart)

Seriously, it's just me. Doubt the wife would ever get into it, and no kids around. So, just me.

I would get a Playstation or xbox.

Playstation has a few more options for solo games, xbox is a bit better for online play, boy Playstation can play online too.

You can get both relatively cheap, and if you have fast internet you can just buy the console and buy your games online and download them so you don't have to worry about disks.

What kind of games are you into? I'll try and give some easy cheap suggestions to get you started, once you get more comfortable with how it all works we can get you to the really fun immersive ones, or give you more ideas for casual ones.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 08:30 AM
link   
www.gamestop.com...

Here is a great deal on a refurbished xbox one for $199 that comes with three games.

Fallout 4 is a quest or role playing game that takes place post nuclear fall out, great single player game.

Call of duty black ops 3 is one of the most popular online first person shooters, and it does have single player as well... it also has a zombie mode where hordes of zombies come after you, the more you kill the more money you get to buy better weapons.

Red Dead Redemption is another quest game, it takes place in the wild west where you are a cowboy doing missions and you can even hunt and sell your kills.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 08:39 AM
link   
If you want to get the absolute bang for your buck go with PC. There's so many games. Indie games especially, cost so much less than "mainstream" games and have much higher quality content and usually more. The choice of games is unlimited.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Category can be a little goofy but for the most part

(1)wiki
1 Action
1.1 Platform games
1.2 Shooter games
1.3 Fighting games
1.4 Beat 'em up games
1.5 Stealth game
1.6 Survival games
1.7 Rhythm games

2 Action-adventure
2.1 Survival horror
2.2 Metroidvania

3 Adventure
3.1 Text adventures
3.2 Graphic adventures
3.3 Visual novels
3.4 Interactive movie
3.5 Real-time 3D adventures

4 Role-playing
4.1 Action RPG
4.2 MMORPG
4.3 Roguelikes
4.4 Tactical RPG
4.5 Sandbox RPG
4.6 First-person party-based RPG
4.7 Cultural differences
4.8 Choices
4.9 Fantasy

5 Simulation
5.1 Construction and management simulation
5.2 Life simulation
5.3 Vehicle simulation

6 Strategy
6.1 4X game
6.2 Artillery game
6.3 Real-time strategy (RTS)
6.4 Real-time tactics (RTT)
6.5 Multiplayer online battle arena (MOBA)
6.6 Tower defense
6.7 Turn-based strategy (TBS)
6.8 Turn-based tactics (TBT)
6.9 Wargame
6.10 Grand strategy wargame

7 Sports
7.1 Racing
7.2 Sports game
7.3 Competitive
7.4 Sports-based fighting

8 Other notable genres
8.1 MMO
8.2 Casual games
8.3 Party game
8.4 Programming game
8.5 Logic game
8.6 Trivia game
8.7 Board game / Card game

9 Idle gaming

10 Video game genres by purpose
10.1 Advergame
10.2 Art game
10.3 Casual game
10.4 Christian game
10.5 Educational game
10.6 Electronic sports
10.7 Exergame
10.8 Personalized game
10.9 Serious game

(2) Yes, it's called DRM. DRM is when you force a game to need a log in server to be used to "prevent piracy". Most gamers have an issue with this. See SIM CITY

(3) PC has WAY better graphics but isn't as plug and play as console. Console for the most part is ready to go. You might have a patch or two for games but for the most part PC is much more difficult to maintain and maximize.

(4) Most games are set up to be simple to use with keyboard and mouse. Not many games have peripherals that are a good deal better subjectively.

(5) It all depends on the game. Some games run way better than others Laptop gaming is fun and can be done but for the most part. At the same price point as desktop you are getting SUBSTANTIALLY less power than the desktop. You pay for mobility first considering laptops.

(6) I started at the age of 12 in 2000. I couldn't tell you were to start without being directly involved with you. It's not that it's that difficult but mistakes can happen.

(7) Definitely more cheats and hacks. It's unfortunate but for the most part, a lot of games take care of it. Of course you'll get a match from time to time with a cheater but it's not too common. Where it because such an issue is when devs do anti cheat poorly - see PUBG - BattleEYE

(8) Civilization, sims, Borderlands, Fallout, farcry.
edit on 22-8-2018 by Antipathy17 because: (no reason given)

PM me if you wanna talk on skype or something

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 08:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flesh699
If you want to get the absolute bang for your buck go with PC. There's so many games. Indie games especially, cost so much less than "mainstream" games and have much higher quality content and usually more. The choice of games is unlimited.

I don't think that's a good place to start off though. Since consoles are so cheap and it's all just plug and play, I think it's the best jumping off point.

If someone wants to upgrade a year later, they can sell their console on craigslist for 150 and then get a PC once they are more well versed.
edit on 22-8-2018 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 08:50 AM
link   
it should be between Xbox and PlayStation. i would recommend looking at the games for both. watch trailers and just see what gets your attention. some games are for only one console. the games you might want to play you can look up if it is 1 player or 2 or just online multiplayer. if you have never really played, i would not start off online. its hard joining teams when you are ranked so low plus every one will have better weapons or cars and skills. also what are you look at in general? shooting games, racing or war? if you are ok with over the top violence, GTA5 is an easy and fun game on story mode. also games that are open worlds i feel are the most fun. that means you can go were ever you want and explore. a lot of the games that are not open worlds have the classic problem that if there is part you cant pass, you are stuck at that point. i went with the Xbox One cause they have a lot of games from the 360 that plays on the One. playstation doest really do that at this point in time. games like Dead Space and Mass Effect. if you are into syfy then Mass Effect is one of the best game series you can play. horror syfy then Dead Space is great. and these are super cheap now.and those games you can play just one player. the cheapest console you will find is 500g xbox one. those are about 199 new. also one last thing, if you have friends find out what console they have. as of now, Playstation online and Xbox live cant play together.
edit on 22-8-2018 by cancerslug because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 08:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Flatcoat

Ya no mans sky has done a complete 180.

Elite is a pretty amazing game.
The shear magnitude of some of the planets is just amazing.
So my beautiful sites waiting to be discovered.
You point your ship in any direction and after 1000 ly or so, you will com across undiscovered planets. That your name gets registered as the first to discover.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 08:58 AM
link   

It sounds like you're looking at quest/shooter games... what better than both? Judging by your avatar I'm just going to leave this here.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 09:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
a reply to: Gothmog

What does this mean? I don't understand.

They’re two of the biggest distributors of PC games you can download steam on said old laptop and install it to start looking at games I would suggest starting on some cheap classics to dip your toes into more genres for fewer greenbacks. GOG is Good Old Games that sells a lot of older download PC titles as well. Steam.com and gog.com if you’d like any advice on picking out hardware for a good bang for the buck gaming rig feel free to PM me (post on here if you do because I always forget to check my PM box).

Good luck with your adventure into gaming!

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Just go from where you left off and do retro games.

The golden age ended with the invention of 3D engines

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join