It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Banter Cafe, open 24hrs

page: 25
<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 08:14 AM
link   
a reply to: oldcarpy
Lol, we picked the same one

...I'd love to have met the creative directors of those adverts, bet they were a right laugh.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 08:15 AM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

You beat me to it!

Ye Olde Oak tinned ham is lush. You can use Smash for thickening stuff. Top tip!

Strangely, I quite like tinned new potatoes.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Ye Olde Oake ham is quite nice to be fair, I'm not sure about tinned spuds though, I keep them in emergency food store, but only because they are easy carb's to store, they have some weird after taste I notice.
Smash as a thickener is a good tip, although I use rolled oats for that in my stews n stuff.

...smash could even be used as a building product, ever tried to clean a pan with it a day old hard, and stuck to the sides?
I reckon I could plaster a wall with enough of the stuff, archeologists and historians of the future would scratch their heads and wonder why a pseudo nutritious material of organic origin was used in construction. The plasterboard behind would have long deteriorated but the 5mm spread of Smash remaining for eternity.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 10:50 AM
link   

You could probably level floors with it, too. I shudder to think what the economy versions of Smash are like, at 40p a bag or whatever.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 11:02 AM
link   

They taste of next to nothing. What little you can taste isn't good either lol. Floury. Had it years ago and they say taste has a longer memory than other senses.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Haha!
Tesco's cheapest is awful, I tried it a few years ago, good for emergency stores only! You won't be tempted to dip into your stores either because it is so crap.
Great adverts on the one telly when I was a kid though

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Some more classic ads. Takes me back a bit!

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Haha I remember a few of them!
One thing I noticed is how natural the women are in the adverts, no botox, fake boobs, and clone/clown makeup.
When I see old films and stuff I notice it all the time, almost like the women are more beautiful because of their imperfections.
These days women seem to all look the same with makeup and straightened hair...although adverts have definitely changed for sure, the one with the CCTV cameras oggling the womanbuying the jeans wouldn't fly these days.
"Objectifying women!!!!!" - Heck, I'd love to be objectified lol

EDIT
This was a favourite from my childhood, we used to sing it at school...I bet it would be called racist these days and people would be outraged lol...

edit on 17-8-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 09:45 AM
link   

I remember that one. You are right about the imperfections thing.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Lol, check out the 'bromance' feel to this old Brut body spray advert!

I remember one year my dad had two 'Brut' and one 'old spice' gift packs at Christmas, he told me years later he didn't like either, he was more of a 'Blue Stratos' guy.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Ha ha! Check out Keegan's perm, too.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Blue Stratos. I used to have that. And Mandate and Denim. Soap-on-a-rope for Christmas presents from aunties.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Haha, there were like maybe 5 types of aftershave/body spray for men back in the day!
...and yes Keegan's perm lol, different worlds.

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Been a bit quiet round these parts today?

Day off everything today; no jobs around the house, no Grandson to look after, not even going to the pub....well, maybe for one or two a bit later but I'm not planning to.

Going to lounge around for a while, watch us get a bit of a beating off India, read stuff on ATS, watch the nags a bit later and read my book.

Large mug of tea, Yorkshire Tea I think, and a couple of Ham and cheese toasties will go down a treat.

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 07:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

Well it's been a long lay in bed for me, bit of a party weekend after pre-season live rugby followed by the expected shananigans at the club house afterwards.
Time to detox, so the cup of tea and a toastie is well needed medicine as I realise I can't quite keep up with the boys in their 20's anymore.
...I struggle with cricket though mate, never played it at school and don't understand the scoring. I'm nipping over my mates now though, he's mad into the game and teaches me the rules, but it all still seems like sorcery to me.

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 07:51 AM
link   

With you on cricket. I played once for my school team - got bowled out 1st ball. It was so quick and I was like "hang on, can I have another go"?

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Had a surprisingly quietish weekend.
Bit of a late one Friday night but I was tucked up in my cot by about 1.00am both Saturday and Sunday.

Played cricket for the school and county, as I did at football, when I was younger - well at least till I got thrown out of school but that's a whole different story.
Played a bit when I first left school for a local team and had a handful of games for another local team a few years ago.
Wasn't exactly the quickest between the wickets and decided to call it a day.

Love cricket, especially Test match cricket.

Still far too many Old School Tie types in positions of influence for my liking.

Once tried explaining the rules of cricket to some Americans using breadsticks and sandwiches in a hotel that they were stopping in - they didn't really grasp the rules but they had a great time trying to play it.
Think it cost them a few quid in the morning though.

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 10:23 AM
link   
@oldcarpy Haha, you did better than me then, never held a cricket bat in my life!

a reply to: Freeborn I like the 'one day' cricket, much faster play, seems more 'jazzed up' compared to tests over days.
I wonder why the US got into ̶r̶o̶u̶n̶d̶e̶r̶s̶ baseball instead of cricket, maybe it was deemed 'imperial' and they didn't want to play a game they'd always lose to England?

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 10:55 AM
link   

One day and T20 cricket are ok, but Test cricket is exactly what it says, a true test.

I don't mind baseball, never played it or been to a game but used to watch quite a bit of it on TV.
That's about as far as participation in any sport goes nowadays, watching on TV.

I have got a round of golf scheduled for the end of the month.
My first for a few years - used to play off 14 - so need to dust the bats off and get my arse to the driving range.

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 11:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn
I've never played a proper golf course but there are a few decent 9 hole pitch n putt places near which a few of us go play, more for a social event to be honest, beers, smoke, and a few laughs.
I really enjoy it and get excited if I get a par!
...like a say though, more of a social thing for us, we'd be blackballed if we tried to join any local golf clubs

new topics

top topics

<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join