It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is the flag of St George deemed racist when the other home nations fly theirs with pride?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Wouldnt be flying proud in Glasgow, might be some of those orange orangutans, but that aint normal in Scotland

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 03:04 PM
link   

What I think is happening here, is quite simply that the OP is trying to use that race card to stir up a little bit of tension in someway.

Let me apologise for this statement, I am just pretty stunned and to be quite honest saddened that some of my fellow brits feel this way about their national flag.

The flag should be flown with pride, only morons would call the St. George flag "racist" because it's also used by groups like the EDL. That does not make the act of flying the flag racist.

So I take it back.

Again sorry.
edit on 18-7-2018 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 03:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: weemadmental

Wouldnt be flying proud in Glasgow, might be some of those orange orangutans, but that aint normal in Scotland

I never said it was normal, just that it was flying proud.

Saw plenty of folk in bars though in their English jerseys though.

Strangely though a lot more Croatians in Glasgow with heavy Glasgow accents too though....

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 03:08 PM
link   

I don't like Andy Murray; not because he's anti-English, not because he's a prick, not because he's pro-Indy, not because he's Scottish....but because he's in the 'anyone but England' gang.
Same as Rory McIlroy.

What I would say is that yes I have seen the St.George flag being used by far right groups and football hooligan groups....

Yes, because that's the image MSM forces on you....they never show the millions who display the St George Cross but have no affiliation with either groups.
It's a perception they are forcing on you.

I remember seeing Wembley get torn to pieces by people bedecked in the Saltire wearing tartan....is that representative of all Scots?
I see Rangers fans with their Union flags and Celtic fans with their Tricolours spouting their sectarian #e....are they to be devalued, ripped up and deemed representative of sectarianism and terrorism?

Of course not all Scots hate the English - many do - but most dislike the English expressing anywhere near the same level of pride and patriotism that they themselves do.

Its hypocrisy and its double standards.

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 03:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

To be very clear, I don't like Andy Murray because he is a prick.

I kind of get what you mean though about how some might view the St. Georges flag as being a racist symbol because of how its been adopted by far right groups.

I don't think you can blame anyone for that but those groups, who I think are also very deliberate in using that flag. Its not the fault of the media, if the EDL turn up with almost every member flying a St. George's flag that going to happen.

Again though, I would reiterate that I think its not exactly the smartest thing to say that because the EDL (or whoever) fly that flag it makes it a racist symbol, the the proud English flag of St.George above all else.

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Let me apologise for this statement,

All is good and I'm sure the OP will agree.

You're stunned?

Think what it's been like for us watching this evolve over the years.

The thing with the World Cup though was it created a feel good factor and so many people bought into it.
It had a momentum that the PC Brigade and the snowflakes couldn't counter.

And it was good to see that English people from all backgrounds across social / racial divides uniting together and having some fun.
I don't buy into anything as mainstream and populist as that...but it was good to see and for a brief moment in time it deflected from the grim realities of everyday life.

edit on 18/7/18 by Freeborn because: typo

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 03:22 PM
link   
There is also a remnant of anti-Christianity in there too. I say this as an agnostic. No religionism involved, but Christianity has everything to lose whether it be atheists, Judaism, Islam or even Catholicism in some cases.

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 03:23 PM
link   

For me it's not just about 'flying the flag'....it's about any expression of English pride being lampooned, ridiculed and denigrated as arrogant and racist and that we should be ashamed of our national heritage, culture and identity.

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 03:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

I am honestly stunned.

I have seen the SDL flying the saltire but I have never sat down at Murray Field in my Scottish top with my flag waving above my head singing the Flour of Scotland out loud and proud and looked to the other end at the park and thought.... ohhh look at those racist English flags and I am pretty sure the English fans I meet in the pubs afterwords don't feel the same about me. Nor have I ever heard of anyone feeling that way towards the St.George flag that they see it as a racist symbol are would treat is as such.

I think if that really is the case then people should be taking back ownership of their flag, rip it out of the hands of those pathetic groups.

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 03:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn

For me it's not just about 'flying the flag'....it's about any expression of English pride being lampooned, ridiculed and denigrated as arrogant and racist and that we should be ashamed of our national heritage, culture and identity.

I do see this quite a bit with sport, hence my Belgium flag.

Now I know this is entirely subjective and I cannot speak for everyone but for the post part that is just a bit of national rivalry between the nations of the UK.

Its not a racist thing, or anything like that but I do know that it could be misunderstood.

I am a proud scotsman, I believe we have a wonderful rich history and one of the most beautiful nations on earth and we produce some of the best comedy and booze in the world.

I do not feel racist for saying that.

I just feel proud.

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 03:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy
Simple question thread.
Here in the UK, which is made up of England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland you'll see home nation flags everywhere except England.
Heck, if you dare fly the flag of England you can expect people to think you have a skinhead and hate foreigners.
It's absolutely ridiculous, even St George's day is a mild affair compared to the other home nation's national day.
I've always thought it odd that English nationalism is frowned upon compared to Scottish or Welsh nationalism.

So anyway, that is the premise inspired by comments in another thread where I and another member didn't want to go off topic.
All thoughts welcome.

Fuggit, I'll address the elephant 🐘 in the room..

Islamisation bro. It's happening, 20-30 years time, Muslims will be the majority in a lot of major countries.

Muslims obviously aren't the problem, it's the extremists (like any religion) that are the problem.
The problem is, Muslim extremism is growing, and will never stop.

Also Saint George isn't even a real dude, so that makes it even more poppycock imo.

edit on 18-7-2018 by FinallyAwake because: Farmers are strong

edit on 18-7-2018 by FinallyAwake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 03:32 PM
link   

I just feel proud.

As you should.

As should I.

The only difference is I will be labelled a racist, a bigot and somehow an upholder and custodian of a colonial past and that I should be ashamed of my cultural heritage and not take pride in it.

You won't.

edit on 18/7/18 by Freeborn because: grammar

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 03:47 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

When people throw that term around RACE. They're using it wrong. As there is only one on the face of this rock called Earth. Human.

Spot on

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 05:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin

originally posted by: weemadmental

I never said it was normal, just that it was flying proud.

Saw plenty of folk in bars though in their English jerseys though.

Strangely though a lot more Croatians in Glasgow with heavy Glasgow accents too though....

They sold out of they tops in Glasgow to

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 05:15 PM
link   
There are a lot of English, there is a large working class element that flies the flag.

Those in charge know that they absolutely cannot allow the English working class to unify around something.

There's your answer.

It's no different to the destruction of the trade unions.
Just the rich keeping the power with the aid of the stupid and the gullible.
edit on 44pWed, 18 Jul 2018 17:16:44 -050020182018-07-18T17:16:44-05:00kAmerica/Chicago31000000k by SprocketUK because: tablet keyboard joyfulness

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 02:45 AM
link   
Because the crusades waaaaammmmmbbbbuuuuulllaaaanncccceeeee

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 03:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin
a reply to: ufoorbhunter

So you think that flying the St. George flag then is see as being racist????

I have been in places where such comments have been made, sure. By no means do I think that but you do hear things similar

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 03:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: SprocketUK
There are a lot of English, there is a large working class element that flies the flag.

Those in charge know that they absolutely cannot allow the English working class to unify around something.

There's your answer.

It's no different to the destruction of the trade unions.
Just the rich keeping the power with the aid of the stupid and the gullible.

doesn't Londons flag use the Saint George's Cross? i saw it in London on a visit so is it really considered racist?

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 03:42 AM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

The issue usually arises when it is Joe public hanging a flag from his window or having those little pennants on his car, rather than official flags.

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 03:46 AM
link   
We are just a nation who don’t feel the need to fly a flag, see an English house and you assume an English person lives there no need for a flag

have we ever flown the flags in high numbers like our cousins over the pond?

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join