It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is the flag of St George deemed racist when the other home nations fly theirs with pride?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 04:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: ufoorbhunter

originally posted by: UKTruthThe British Empire did much to the world that would leave a bad taste in the mouth to those on the receiving end. Those feelings get passed down through generations.

But the Union Jack is not seen (by some) in the same way the cross of St George is. Most foreigners love the Jack.............. It sells Minis and Oasis etc. There is something more to it

Different eras and times; London in the 1960's (The Swinging Sixties) and 1970's, both are positive views for tourists. But for those from India the Union Jack is a symbol of occupation by the British East India Company.

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 04:26 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Sorry for my ignorance but is that the confederate flag thing ?

Whoops should have read back.
edit on 19/7/18 by macpdm because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 05:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: stormcell
Different eras and times; London in the 1960's (The Swinging Sixties) and 1970's, both are positive views for tourists. But for those from India the Union Jack is a symbol of occupation by the British East India Company.

Yeah maybe going back a few years or decades. Then again these days some of the most patriotic English I know are two brothers whose family came from India. England shirts on all the time when drinking, England tattoos all over their arms and legs. Total patriots. Most Indians from India itself I've met absolutely love our country, we are one and the same Commonwealth and share our unifying language, Queen, our legal system, our British capitalist system. That's why Indians blended into to Britain so well, they were already British

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 05:23 AM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

I have always preferred this flag rather than the St George's Cross.

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 05:26 AM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

I have that on my tabard.

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 06:20 AM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

its frowned upon to fly the lion rampant in Scotland because it represents the kings and queens of Scotland and not great britain!

I dont think anyone really considers this anymore
but it was definitely frowned upon a while ago!

not sure if it is still to this day !

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 06:25 AM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth

is that way many immigrants come to Britain and send all their earnings home as a way to enact revenge on the empire ?
sort of like immigration pressure , soft terrorism
like using narcotics to destabilise a society , they use people pressure , and all the money they make goes home instead of back into the economy of the host nation, therefore depleting it of its resources!
Im not saying its done intentionally but is it subconsciously happening as the result of collonialism

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 06:36 AM
link   
a reply to: ufoorbhunter

did ye aye ?

sure it wasnt the romans who brought us civilisation?

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 06:39 AM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

as the act of union done to scots gaelic , having children caned in schools to speak the queens English!

a perfect example of quashing culture in order to force the nation into compliance !

They learned from the best the romans and their ability to crush rebellions and pagan practices!

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 06:45 AM
link   
a reply to: sapien82

Probably was the Romans yeah n

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 06:45 AM
link   
a reply to: cosmic66

the picts originated in scotland , they didnt come from Ireland , the Scoti came from Ireland and the Picts were amalgamated into their culture !

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 06:49 AM
link   
this is really weird, that we are discussing flags, because only the other day I was looking at the reason of red white and blue in the US flag.

Seems like the saltire, st georges cross and the saltire of st patrick were used !
they dropped the st georges cross and kept the rest !

If you simply colour sorry "color" the stars of the union , in a red and blue , the Saltire and St patricks cross are still present in the US flag

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 06:49 AM
link   

bloody romans! lol
Ye ken we can thank them for jaggy nettles , sorry stinging nettles !

they were brought to the British Isles by Roman armies !

they were used in Scotland specifically because it was so cold , and the Roman soldiers would thrash their bodies with the nettles to inducing stinging and a heat reaction to heat their frozen limbs during winter
edit on 19-7-2018 by sapien82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 06:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

Eckhart Tolle , speaks about the "pain body"

edit: a teaching by the Buddha

Ethnic groups and racial groups can accumulate a pain body , suffering is passed on through generations

I think a lot of the bitterness that groups exhibit could well be the pain body passed on through generations!

this would explain many things on society

the pain body of scots (serfs) (working class ) , who suffered under the oppression of the church and the state (royals)

This can be activated by people making passing remarks, I truly think this is the case when patriotism rises and your pain body is hurt by someone making remarks about your homeland !
because the pain body contains negative energy from the past

Just a theory ! but seems reasonable

edit on 19-7-2018 by sapien82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Wow great info Sapien
It's truly amazing what they gave us from Rome. Our roads around here, the only decent straight ones go back to that era. There's farmsteads etc the remains still there. I get the impression people got around loads more back then so even before Rome there would probably have been plenty of trade with the Medierranean world with the Phoenicians. Even trade with the fish and eastern Europe going back hundreds of years, you know I had an old friend not seen him for so many years since I left Cheltenham and he's probably dead now as would be 100 or something, but his dad was a sailor Scot and his mom was Polish Jewish his dad met her delivering fish to Poland in the early 1900s his dad married her and took her back to Scotland
He was such a nice guy. Always wore shorts even in the snow. Wow the trade all over the world like that must go back well before the Romans

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 07:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: sapien82
this is really weird, that we are discussing flags, because only the other day I was looking at the reason of red white and blue in the US flag.

Seems like the saltire, st georges cross and the saltire of st patrick were used !
they dropped the st georges cross and kept the rest !

If you simply colour sorry "color" the stars of the union , in a red and blue , the Saltire and St patricks cross are still present in the US flag

England would still be represented on The U.S. Flag by the 13 Stripes. These represent the English Colonies.

Well 12 of the stripes do, as Georgia was founded after The Act Of Union when we became The United Kingdom.

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 07:17 AM
link   

aye a decent bunch in terms of spreading civilisation technology , commerce , the arts
despite their imperialist leanings, they did destroy a lot of culture. Despite their negatives, their contribution to the world was only rivaled by the scots hahahahah during our enlightenment. A bold claim , but im Scottish and proud of our contributions.

The complete eradication of pagan cultures such as the Celts in mainland Europe to be replaced by Christ!
which is why I still believe that the roman empire created Christ in order to crush pagan culture!
just a theory though.

It's just funny how our cultures work, always seems to be the majority rule !
Pagan celt culture was already well establish here before Romes reach destroyed our ways!

The thing about culture is we all stand on the shoulders of giants, the Romans, borrowed all they knew from the Greeks !
and the greeks probably from the cretans or phonecians and so on and so forth!

we humans love to claim we are the best , look at donald he is the bestest , nobody better !
we love to claim the glory from others, the recognition!
but we owe it to everyone who came before us!

yes , let us celebrate our individuality, our cultural differences our flags our teams our colours
but , let us also celebrate our Unity , for we are HOMO SAPIENS for a reason!

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 07:19 AM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

You mean the 13 stripes represent the British Colonies !
it was the British empire that took those colonies not the English empire

but aye I see what you mean

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Yes. The 13 stripes represent the 13 Colonies.

!2 of those colonies where established by Royal Charter by The Monarchs of England. They where English Colonies.

As i said Georgia was established by The United Kingdom after The Act Of Union in 1707

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Homo sapien sapiens.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join