It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is the flag of St George deemed racist when the other home nations fly theirs with pride?

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 02:23 PM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

I grew up in the 80s, and the truth of the matter is that racism and homophobia was pretty much still the norm back then.

The world spins, but have we learned anything or just how to disguise our racial and social prejudice behind a veil of politically correct bull crap of our own creation seems to be the real question?

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 02:26 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

I did 6 months homeless when I was 16 after I ran away from home. I nearly smashed a brick through the police station window one day to get arrested I was so cold. I changed my mind because I decided freedom cold was better than imprisoned warm with 3 meals. Crazy eh, but I was actually stood outside the main entry with a house brick in my hand.
The homeless clearance was a disgrace for sure, but I bet a lot of them had an improvement in their life if only temporarily, maybe even some substance abuse healthcare as well, certainly the addicts who suffered withdrawals.

Forced rehab through the justice system can be a good thing when the NHS provides pretty much # all voluntary rehab beds.

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 02:28 PM
link   

I think it's just the circles I mix, I genuinely would be surprised if anyone I knew was racist, and that is like loads of people in the real world. I only ever see racism online.
Maybe people hide it from me because they know I'd disagree?

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Im glad you made it through alive CornishCeltGuy.

The meals and even the ambiance have somewhat changed since then though, eh?

The way we treat our homeless addicted and poor is deplorable.

Think it was Mahatma Ghandi that said "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members.".

Says a lot about the U.K in general really.

edit on 19-7-2018 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 02:49 PM
link   

I've always said if extra taxes were set aside exclusively for health and social care then I'd agree in a heartbeat. All my friends agree, heck everyone I've ever worked with agreed when I brought the question up.
Dump Trident and raise billions of £'s, what's the point? If a foreign power ruins this nation with nukes does it matter if we don't kill millions of their innocent civilians as well. Putin isn't going to allow the UK to be destroyed because of the billions of dirty assets he has here tied up in property and businesses. The US on the other hand are our allies, and NK can't yet reach us with their missiles.

EDIT
Glad I started this thread, I don't have to apologise to the OP for going well off topic lol!
Feel free to let the conversation flow on any mildly related tangent folks, I like it when threads are like that.

edit on 19-7-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Well there you go right there, you mentioned Scotland, Ireland Wales to name a few. Because it's not Englands National Flag, more, it's Englands International Policy over the centuries flying that flag that gave it a well earned reputation for dislike.

But to be honest Cornish, it is lame that you get labeled that way over it. People just need to let the past go into the history books to stay.politics have gotten out of control these days.

My father came from Wales, which makes me half Welsh. I could apply for dual citizenship and as much as I would love to see what (Walish)

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 03:22 AM
link   

Speaking of seeing racism! you are right I hardly see it on the streets in Glasgow , I just see it online!
My friend was contacted on FB by a fake account and called her a 'n-word' in the chat
she reported the account.

But no way in hell would a person openly call someone a 'n-word' online as they fear the consequences, so they hide behind a fake account.
Its absolutely pathetic, I mean when have you ever encountered a racist and asked them why they are racist, they either cannot explain to you in their own words and normally parrot someones elses ideology or they cannot explain themselves because they lack the mental fortitude to do so.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 03:38 AM
link   
a reply to: sapien82

Depends where you are i suppose, but at the end of the day, racism is a lack of understanding or generally a direct result of poverty/class war.

Which is why racists cannot justify or explain the ideology they choose to stand behind, most religious people fall into the same category if truth be told. End of the day racism is just another control construct designed to keep us apart and divided, thus enable TPTB to do what they wish.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 04:10 AM
link   

It is rampant online. There is a white supreme forum I won't give the credit of naming it, but reading some of the stuff there shocks me.
I haven't seen or heard anything racist in real life for many years but I know they're all around us.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 05:05 AM
link   
This thread has wandered like crazy, it has nothing to do with America.

It has nothing to do with football supporters who get a bit cocky after a drink.

Actually, can the OP inform us and provide links to when flying the St George has been deemed racist?

I know that England dont celebrate St. Georges day like the other nations, but that is because traditionally we are comfortable with our identity and not widely religious.

The Oirish and world celebrating paddies day is mainly an excuse for a piss up (probably celebrated by 99.9% as a piss up) and the rest a religions celebration to try and claim relevance.

So when does the world celebrate jock and gareth day?

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 05:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Forensick

Do you mean St.Andrews day ? he is our patron saint and its celebrated in Scotland on the 30th Of November.

However we could easily pick a number of days throughout the year to celebrate Scottish heritage
we have Robert Burns day/night, which as you know is celebrated the world over !

and we can claim new years celebrations as , ye aww sing oor song !

Samhain , Beltane any of the other celt pagan holidays which everyone else celebrates
take a pick there are a few

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 05:47 AM
link   

This thread has wandered like crazy,....

Yeah, but no Mod intervention ....so there's no problem is there?

I know that England dont celebrate St. Georges day like the other nations,....

Some of us do!

..... but that is because traditionally we are comfortable with our identity and not widely religious.

That's because its played down, discouraged and ignored by many.

I don't know what religion has to do with it.
Religion has nothing to do with national pride in our culture and heritage, does it?

Nowadays we do tend to treat those who are overtly religious with curiosity and suspicion.

The Oirish and world celebrating paddies day is mainly an excuse for a piss up (probably celebrated by 99.9% as a piss up) and the rest a religions celebration to try and claim relevance.

The Irish have always celebrated St Paddy's....but it has become massively exploited as a commercial event by a major brewery and large pub chains.

Personally I am at a loss when I see normal, everyday non-Irish getting absolutely plastered on St Paddy's day with their crap leprechaun regalia all over them.

I don't resent the Irish celebrating. Fair play lads, get on with it and have a cracking day.
I'll do the same on April 23rd if you don't mind.

So when does the world celebrate jock and gareth day?

The world doesn't...apart from those previously mentioned Scottish Americans etc - but the Scots and Welsh celebrate their respective Patron Saints day accordingly.
Maybe not in the same numbers or to the same extent, but they do celebrate.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Bawbags like the above certainly cast disparaging thoughts when they display said flag in support of there own nefarious little agenda through.

Whats the bet if you were to scan that barcode it would say Void and/or Rejected?

Scotland celebrates St Andrews day and Wales St David, although i don't know if they have a day set aside.
edit on 20-7-2018 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 06:34 AM
link   

st andrews day was never official in Scotland until our first minister Nicola decided to get it as a national holiday on the 30th November

think it was the patron saint act of 2006

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 06:37 AM
link   

hahaha aye probably says I love england or god save the queen
or born and bread in England !

AS tattoos go that is #ing horrible though
the line work is terrible and the colours are faded !

must have used #e ink!

what is the english defense league , defending against exactly ?
doesnt England need to be under attack ?

Oh right I get it , so their ego's are under attack and so have to pretend its about something bigger than them to justify it !

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 06:49 AM
link   
St George's flag huh? I like the colours.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Oi where did you get that picture of me mam from?.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 06:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Forensick
Actually, can the OP inform us and provide links to when flying the St George has been deemed racist?

Purely anecdotal from what I've seen online, but if you know how to use Google there are plenty of links to debates etc...
Goog le, is St Georges flag racist?
The rest of your post I'll just refer you to Freeborn's reply, sums up my sentiments as well.
edit on 20-7-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: typo

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 07:00 AM
link   

"what is the english defense league , defending against exactly ?"

I think they might just like to shout a lot after all that Special Brew and a few lines of Cha.

"doesnt England need to be under attack ?"

Well, the fact of the matter is that we are on an island, surrounded on all sides by ocean and water, quite hard to attack in any kind of meaningful manner at the best of times.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 07:01 AM
link   

I’ve lived in Scotland for most of my life. The Scots don’t celebrate St. Andrew’s Day to any extent whatever. They know it’s their national day but no one pays much attention. You’ll get some tartan loons saying different, but most folk genuinely don’t give a flying f.

Burn’s Night in January is very different, it’s still a widely observed celebration, you’ll see a Scottish flag at the Burn’s Supper events but there’s always a reminder there about Burn’s internationalism, “than man to man, the world o’er, shall brithers be for a’ that”.

As to flags, the only ones you normally see where I live are either Loyalist British or Irish Republican, football related, 90 minute bigotry. I guess that’s what fuels this thread. Football and England’s participation in the World Cup. 90 minute nationalism.

I genuinely can’t remember seeing a Scottish flag flying anywhere recently, apart from on my Morrisons ten pence bag for life. It’s great that so many English companies now drape everything they sell up here in the Scottish flag. I’m so grateful to them, I’d entirely forgotten where I lived. Thank God ive got a carrier bag to remind me.

I’m a bit suspicious about folk who flag fly when there’s no football on, you wonder about their sanity.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join