It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is the flag of St George deemed racist when the other home nations fly theirs with pride?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 02:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: weemadmental
a reply to: ufoorbhunter

in the same vein i am not sure you are up on your history of Scots being relocated to Ireland in the 1600's, causing this # show with the irish upto now.

Quite aware of you lot being relocated over there as you were relocated around the world especially the Americas. Our greatest ever export.................. The Scot

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: weemadmental

Also your laws

The you can all go ...( T & C )

Anyone who defends Laws needs a real education.

Laws are created to protect the rich - the rich put in power those who write taxation laws favouring the wealthy.

Australia was colonized by convicts some who were transported for the crime of trying to feed their families.

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 02:30 PM
link   

As i said, im not bitter, and i do respect pride in your own culture, nationalism, dont get me wrong,

But most Scots, Welsh are very bitter about displays of English pride....its slightly different in Northern Ireland but I think that's a discussion for another time and place.

.... its just English Nationalism is not the same as Scottish Nationalism, it is tied up in with some right undersirables, such as the BNP, fighting abroad, and some right nuggets, we get tarred with the same brush.

But that's the thing...the majority aren't like that but it's an image that MSM like to project about anyone who tries to openly show any level of pride in English culture, heritage or 'Englishness'.
They are immediately labelled 'racist', 'hooligans', 'louts', etc and portrayed as mindless morons who don't possess a single qualification between them.
And that is so wide of the mark.

So why the hypocrisy and double standards?
Whose purpose does it serve?

Certainly not the likes of you and me!

So to what end?
What are 'they' trying to prevent?

And why are people so gullible and fall for it?

Its true that the English parliment offered a vote, im pretty sure that they rigged that, just look at the Mccrone Report, we are not going to be let go without a fight.

There's no such thing as an English Parliament.
There's the UK Parliament, there's the Scottish Parliament, National Assembly for Wales and The Northern Irish Assembly....no English Parliament at all.

Any proof that the referendum was rigged?

With Brexit it has #ed a lot of people, there seems to be a exedous to Scotland, and beleive me when i say this, you guys are all welcome.

Like I said; I love Scotland and it's people and their culture and their passion and pride.
I like all the constituent parts of the UK and their separate identities and cultures.
But I also like the things that bind us together and believe we are stronger and better together and have more chance changing this United Kingdom into something we can ALL be proud of when we stick together and fight the bastards who have sought to control, manipulate and exploit us for far too long.

Also i wear long trousers

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Also i wear long trousers

And you call yourself a Scotsman?

Smh

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 02:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight
Not quite...
Well they were "romanized" about the same time as the Britons - so thats where actual civilizing came from.

en.wikipedia.org...

Scotland's recorded history began with the arrival of the Roman Empire in the 1st century, when the province of Britannia reached as far north as the line between the firths of Clyde to the Forth. North of this was Caledonia,

I thought it was around 1745 that the actual civilising came on stream. It probably did seep in before then in some manner but only past that point did law and order get introduced to the entire north of Britain. Quite a recent thing really

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 02:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Wide-Eyes

tip hangs oot, its like an Ozzie and their short shorts

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 02:38 PM
link   
It's deemed racist because you let it be. Ignore them on keep moving forward.

We have a Confederate Battle Flag we put op every now and then to keep new neighbors away.

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: UpIsNowDown

Its cool - If you think I have wronged you fair enough - I can only go by your words.

I guess this is what concerns me the most. We really need to stop these wars where millions are killed and displaced- we all bleed the same. The manipulators are laughing all the way to the bank.

I wrote:

In the retelling of stories we tell our children of the "idol" in the front representing the enemy. Its sloppy thinking and leaves room to repeat the same sh^t. You must tell the story with all facts. Look at the same sh^t excuses that were used to invade Iraq to overthrow Hussein who had been previously assisted by the west.

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 02:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: mikell
It's deemed racist because you let it be. Ignore them on keep moving forward.

We have a Confederate Battle Flag we put op every now and then to keep new neighbors away.

So you are a bigot and a racist ?

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 02:40 PM
link   
As noted elsewhere, that is in happening the us too
edit on 18-7-2018 by Quetzalcoatl14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 02:41 PM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

The Treaty of Versailles was particularly brutal on the Germans who were made the scapegoats for everything.

Things weren't helped when The French and Belgians invaded The Ruhr over Germany's inability to keep up with reparations.
en.wikipedia.org...

And of course I'm aware of Prescott Bush, Henry Ford et al and their dealings with Nazi Germany.
Elements in the USA made massive profits out of both sides in the war prior to Germany declaring war on them.

Very little in this world is ever black and white.

Despite all the contributory factors and related issues armed confrontation with Hitler and Nazi Germany was inevitable and in my personal opinion just and right.

I can't say that about many, if any, other armed conflicts.

Just my opinion though.

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 02:43 PM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

National Pride works in sort of a reverse-psychological manner.

If you have legit reason to be proud of your herritage, youre not allowed to show it.

If your nation is inferior, to compensate, you make national pride part and parcel of every fibre of your being so you dont feel as bad.

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I don't even know where to start with this nonsense.

Nobody in their right mind would call flying the St. George flag racist just like the Saltire isn't racist. Now I am sure that the OP might have dug around a bit to find some examples but on the whole, most every day people don't think that the St. George flag is racist.

I think for anyone who watched the recent World Cup or spent any time in a large English city would know that flying the St.George flag is not considered racist.

What I think is happening here, is quite simply that the OP is trying to use that race card to stir up a little bit of tension in someway.

I think that the suggestion that the St. George flag is racist says more about the person making such a claim than it does about the flag. I am a proud Scotsman, I have never felt my mates flying the St. George flag to be racist nor have I ever actually heard anyone claim that flying the St.George or any other national flags as being racist.

Anyway the only flag that has been flying in my house the past few weeks....

edit on 18-7-2018 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

EDIT:::

I think the stuff about using the race card was uncalled for, I take it back, sorry
extra DIV

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 02:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin
What I think is happening here, is quite simply that the OP is trying to use that race card to stir up a little bit of tension in someway.

I think that the suggestion that the St. George flag is racist says more about the person making such a claim than it does about the flag.

No no no no I'm really sorry you are off track here and the OP only started the thread for someone else anyway so as not to derail another excellent thread. The OP is the very last person on ATS to go down that route you suggest. One of the most balanced people on here to be honess with you.

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 02:51 PM
link   

hahaha - or maybe Scots have shrunk because of the cooler weather.

@1:04 hilarious

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 02:51 PM
link   

So you think that flying the St. George flag then is see as being racist????

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 02:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 02:54 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Got to disagree with you there mate.

Prior to The World Cup there were quite a few instances where Police instructed people / pubs / businesses NOT to fly St George's Cross.
One example is pub chain Weatherspoons who were told not to fly the flag.

And I also know, having discussed this topic with him prior to him starting this thread, that there is absolutely no provocative intention behind the OP and his thread.

The FACT remains that far, far too many people associate the St George Cross with right wing extremists thanks to the manipulations of MSM and some hypocritical dislike of all things English and any expression of English pride.

Sorry mate but your well wide of the mark on this one.

edit on 18/7/18 by Freeborn because: typo

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 02:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

Dude I saw a St.George flag flying proudly in Glasgow.

I don't know it, I might be some kind of wired regional thing but honestly I have never heard anyone honestly say that flying the St. George flag is racist.

Now calling Andy Murray English (but only when he wins)......thats a whole other matter

What I would say is that yes I have seen the St.George flag being used by far right groups and football hooligan groups and its unfortunate that those groups have hijacked it and used it in that way however what I would also say is that context is very important and just waving the flag out side your window to support your national football team or whatever is not generally considered racist.

The Scottish defence League fly the saltire, doesn't make it a racist flag or viewed as a racist flag. It just turns out some arse holes like to also show their national pride.

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 03:01 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

What I think is happening here, is quite simply that the OP is trying to use that race cardto stir up a little bit of tension in someway.

I think that the suggestion that the St. George flag is racist says more about the person making such a claim than it does about the flag.

Well you seem to do quite well in that department with your baiting threads on Trump all the while claiming "researching into a new perspective" What does that say about your hypocrisy.

You've been called out time and time again. You're posting history speaks for itself.

www.abovetopsecret.com...
The Loony Left and the Racist Right

I implore you..... TDS goes both ways and I have personally seen both Trump supporters and their opposites use this phrase within equally pointless arguments. It’s almost as if when you run out of argument’s you just run to the TDS line because

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join