It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is the flag of St George deemed racist when the other home nations fly theirs with pride?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 07:37 AM
link   
a reply to: testingtesting

hahah

H. s. Sapiens AMH !

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 07:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

Simple put maybe they don't like it because and I may be wrong here england beat their areas and conquered them so they see st.george flag as a symbol of oppression or a reminder of their defeat or they could just be a bunch of ninnies.

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 07:56 AM
link   
a reply to: sapien82

My grandparents were from County Kerry Ireland.
Sure I'm proud and interested in my ancestry but I don't feel any real attachment to Ireland.....I'm English, British and proud of both.
I feel no inherited dislike of the English because of some of the atrocities and injustices that were done in their name.

I don't get how so many Americans say they are Irish American, Italian American etc - you're either one or the other.

Same as I don't get third generation Indians and Pakistani's over here cheering for India.....I'm not Irish English and I don't support Ireland when they play England at anything, why would I?
I'm English and British, end of.

So what's different with English of Irish descent and others?

Never knew that about nettles, interesting.

As for The Picts....it's my understanding that no-one really knows their origins for sure but it's almost certain they were assimilated by The Celts.
Not much at all is really known about The Ancient Britons who preceded The Celts.

Early Christians were masters of adapting local traditions and practices etc and incorporating them into the new religion.
Most of our holidays etc are based on 'pagan' days of worship etc.

And yes, it's very easy for us all to forget at times that there is but one race on earth....the human race.

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 08:26 AM
link   

aye well my wee cousin James (wee jimmy ) born in Scotland and lived here until he was like 5
clearly had a Scots accent, then moved to Devon, his father a Devonshire man and his mother a Scot from Grangemouth
he now has a proper Devonshire accent and loves England almost as much I think equally Scotland.
Loves everything British , I simply think its a matter of travelling, when you travel you are less patriotic in that sense because you see these borders, nations and flags as what they are "imaginary" and get to know the real England, Ireland, Scotland or Wales in the people you meet when you go there and its not the Establishment or whoever runs the place people go to see is it!

It's those parts that we all collectively dislike about each other, the authoritarian parts we dislike in each other.
The control , the greed , the power !

Ive also never understood why Americans do that ! If you were born somewhere you are that nationality no ifs or buts !
So donald trump is no where near Scottish, just pointing that out hahah , he was for 9 months but after that he wasnt!

I dont like to Identify as British simply because I know that it has a morally ambigious past
and that personally that I chose not to because its associated with a lot of suffering throughout the world and throughout time. It is also associated with many practices that I find the complete opposite of my own values!

but I also understand that what I cant change I just have to accept , and whilst the British empire has done a lot of harm , it has certainly done a lot of good also!

but according to my family members who are older , the British Empire died the day of the somme
and we are only the British Isles in name and not empire and we are a un-united kingdom
and that our own sovereignty is important as our own cultural identity can help define who we are , and we need to be able to love our selves first before we can love others or so they say!
Although our greatest strength is Unity , we have to reconcile with ourselves first !
but its hard to reconcile everything in the UK when the system we are supporting doesnt work, maybe we break it down and build it back up better ?

ANyway when Have you ever heard anyone say Oh I really dislike those americans, but I totally love their government system, Oh those chinese are real scum bags, but their government are perfect, or Oh hey those North Koreans are really dumb, but their government are brilliant.

Its not the people we grow to hate, its the establishments that run those "imaginary" countries and imaginary borders
that we grow to detest ! its the foreign policies we learn to hate !

Anyway Im still with ye if you want to run for government hahahaha

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 09:13 AM
link   
I haven't got much to add except thanks for the fantastic interesting read of replies exchanged between folk in this thread.

I agree with how silly the 'Irish American' and 'African American' thing is as well, my black mates are just English or British as much as I am. I've never understood the prefix to specific ancestry.
I was actually talking about this with my mate the other day and he argued with some guy about it when he was in Arizona who presented himself as Irish American. My mate asked him how far back and it turned out about 5 generations from Ireland.
My mate then explained that his own parents are Irish but he Identifies as solely English, or British, no 'Irish' prefix. The US guy didn't like that so my mate started telling Irish jokes arguing that he could because of his closer link in generational time to Ireland lol

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 09:34 AM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

hehehe thats a belter!

It's really funny how Americans say they are Scottish 5 times removed on my great grandfathers side or Irish or whatever !

you know they love to acknowledge their colonial roots even though they fought a war against those powers to secure their nation and way of life complete contradiction !

Never understood that , but aye if folk want to honor their roots let them, no harm no foul!

I read an article the other day not sure if on here or eleswhere but it said that A lot of Americans enquire to the Scottish tourism board to organise a haggis hunt so I can understand why they think they are scottish if they believe a haggis is an animal !
All Hilarity aside , I think its because we humans, love to identify with things, now more so than ever!
we choose to identify with objects and concepts and ideologies because we havent bothered to find out who we are as a human being and so choose to label ourselves with all our creations and isms!

when we can simply identify as Homo Sapiens Sapiens - the anatomically modern humans . H. s. Sapiens AMH!
and hey look we are all the same

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Haggis hunt pmsl!
Reminds me of teasing my young son about Homity pie's here, I told him that homity's were a small vicious animal about the size of a small dog and lived in colony's at Bodmin moor. Had to be careful because of their sharp claws, he believed it for years lol.

Regarding race though I truly am colour blind to it, all I care about is if someone is decent or not.
...but if my black mates started identifying as 'African British' I'd piss laughing and so would everyone else, they're just as English and British as the rest of us.
The black players for England at this world cup wear that badge with as much honour as every other player. The flag of St George is as much theirs as it is mine, if not more.

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 10:18 AM
link   

many of us dont see the world in terms of skin colour , because we know that it doesnt define those people !
their thoughts and actions do!

but the systems we have elected into power and continue to elect , see colour !

that is where the problem is there , its simply ignorance that an issue exists because you dont see it yourself

personal incredulity , willful ignorance ?

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 10:35 AM
link   

I actually forget that people are still racist because I don't know anyone who ever expresses racist opinions.
I only actually see it online, but in real life never. Maybe it's because right now in my parts we have tens of thousands of people from all over the world so summer is a multicultural festival of people on holiday or studying English.
We'd die without foreign money so everyone is warmly welcomed here.

I saw some youths calling an Islamic woman tourist with her kids a terrorist a couple of years ago. I challenged them loudly and loads of other local blokes backed me up so they dispersed. We apologised to the woman and wished her a fun time for the rest of her holiday.
I hate all bigotry, and going back to the OP, I hate how 'some' people equate the English flag with EDL goons and other bigots.

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 10:38 AM
link   

I have quite a few Black mates across the UK, mainly up here but a few in London, Birmingham and Manchester.
A couple are into the whole Jamaican Rasta thing yet they all identify as English and British, no pre-fix like Afro-Caribbean etc.

I dont like to Identify as British simply because I know that it has a morally ambigious past ....

For me its about being proud of the real, everyday British people, what we have accomplished, our culture and heritage.
We are a uniquely resourceful, innovative, fun-loving, tenacious people with a sense of humour and attitude that sets us apart from the rest.
I'm not saying better, not ever.....just different.

Empire means very little to me, both the good and bad.

.... the British Empire died the day of the somme ...

Not necessarily a bad thing; another war we lied to about and those who returned were promised everything....they were treat like #e, as usual, and very few of the promises materialised.
Twenty odd years later they received the same promises.....many did materialise but they've spent the last forty odd years clawing all those benefits back....another discussion methinks.

I'm glad India et al gained their independence.
In an ideal world no man or nation should hold dominion over another....but it's not an ideal world.

and we are only the British Isles in name and not empire and we are a un-united kingdom

That's how they want it....divide and conquer.
That's why we are better and stronger together.
We need to take control of this Union and turn it into something we ALL can be proud of.

We have the wherewithal to achieve it....we just need a common focal point to rally us.

.... and that our own sovereignty is important as our own cultural identity can help define who we are...

One of the main reasons we need to shake off the shackles of the EU.

Although our greatest strength is Unity , we have to reconcile with ourselves first !

Amen to that Brother.

but its hard to reconcile everything in the UK when the system we are supporting doesnt work, maybe we break it down and build it back up better ?

We break it down and build it back up in the shape of something that is fit for purpose and is something that those who follow us will be proud of.

Anyway Im still with ye if you want to run for government hahahaha

Loudest laugh of the day mate....I'll sure tell some of the lads tonight in the pub.
Enough skeletons in my closet to fill a graveyard.

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Brilliant points

On a related world cup theme, I support all home nations if they are playing a foreign country every time. I'll also include the ROI in that. We are a unique family in my mind, disfunctional at times for sure, but what family isn't.
I'm hoping Brexit will bring us all together even more now the EU commission is turning nasty. Nothing like bringing the UK family together than having a go at us.
Family, for sure, I would not wish to have been born in another country...I'd miss the British banter for a start...if your mate isn't taking the piss then you gotta wonder is he even your mate!

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Colour means nothing to me.

It's what's in the heart and in the mind that count.

There's some things I just don't like, for various reasons, but I won't go into them here.

Known some people built like the proverbial brick #house.....brain completely vacant and the heart the size of a pea, not worth a nut.
Known many a little guy.....hearts the size of lions, cracking company and very clever.

Never judge a book and all that.....must be a day for cliché's because I've come out with a few today.

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Haha most cliché's are true!

I'm the same, went out with a girl from Cameroon at university, she was stunningly beautiful, black as coal, she was my African princess. Didn't last for more than a few months though, she was full on Catholic so we only kissed and 'made out', I found it too frustrating and I didn't wanna get married.
There's an Indian woman in a supermarket here and she is absolutely gorgeous, I choose to be served by her if I can lol

I know I'm rambling, but my point is that I see different unique beauty in all people, regardless of colour, and it surprises me when other folk don't.
I'm a nationalist who loves anyone if they are decent people, and yes, if someone is born here or adopts England as their own then they are as British as you or I.

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Well, the nation it represents has been know to practice the sport of killing poor brown people from a distance since time immemorial.

But it's the idiots that wield the thing whilst chanting racist remarks and cracking out Nazi salutes that call in to question the flag of St George.

Fact is their grandparents would be spinning in their graves.

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 12:36 PM
link   

I'm a nationalist who loves anyone if they are decent people,

....and yes, if someone is born here or adopts England as their own then they are as British as you or I.

As long as they are prepared to contribute and integrate.

I can not and will not accept people coming here and telling us how # this country is and then try their very best to turn into a replica of the #hole they've come from!

But that's definitely not a discussion for this thread.

Anyway, I'm off to the greatest British institution of all....the pub, where I fully expect to talk complete bollocks and cod# to likeminded individuals and rip the crap out of each other.

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Agreed about racists hijacking the flag, it is shameful.
The flag, to me, represents us as a people though. The complete mongrels from thousands of years which we are on all of these islands, united as a tribe.
English nationalism has become almost a slur, and that saddens me to be honest because nationalism is about coming together for your tribe to me, common heritage, common values, and caring for our fellow people.
I hate it when I see racist bigots draped in the flag, and the Union flag, they should make their own flags and not stain the people's one any more than the stains of history it obviously carries.

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Agreed.
I told a Scottish guy at my local pub recently to piss off back to Scotland then if England is so crap, when he was bitchin' about the place. He didn't really have a retort to that lol.
Enjoy your or two.

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Funny how a lot of Brits want to claim there is no racism. Did you even see the royal wedding? The press made a huge deal about her being half black. In fact used it against her trying to day that somehow made her unfit to be a royal. Dont pretend racism doesnt exist in the UK in some respects its worse then in the United States. Only difference is the UK tries to pretend it doesnt exist.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

www.bbc.com...

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 02:18 PM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

"Did you even see the royal wedding?"

Race, colour, and creed aside, TPTB were rounding up and handing our 3-month gaol sentences to all the homeless persons and undesirables in the area prior to the said wedding.

God bless the Queen??? What about the rest of us?

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

Well all I've said is that in real life and my social media I haven't seen any racism (like I did in the 70's) for a long time.
Of course there are racists, heck in this thread all Brits have condemned the bigots who drape themselves in the flag while shouting racist abuse. We know they exist, just personally I haven't met a person who has indicated they are racist for decades.
Maybe I just choose my life tribe well, and I'm part of a massive group of people from 90's free party/rave/festival days...that could be a fasctor though, loved up n all that lol.

new topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join