It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

what is 'white privilege'? Nobdy seems to want to explain

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2018 @ 04:10 AM
link   
a reply to: CaptainHook

There is no such thing as white privilege. It was contrived by people who fear white people, what else could the reason be for attacking the anglo saxon race?

posted on Jul, 16 2018 @ 06:59 AM
link   
I’m a white male born and raised in South Africa.
I have a decent education and a decent job.

I recieved these benefits because of my countries sorded past.
I give back as much as I can. Not always in the form of cash, but in the form of what I can. I do my best to help my fellow citizens as much as possible.

White privelage = sins of the father.

I don’t think racial tension is caused by skin colour, but cultural diffirences.

posted on Jul, 16 2018 @ 07:28 AM
link   
What little "white" privilege exists is minimal at best, and as a concept exists mostly to divide us by color and give minorities someone to hate other than just the elite themselves. The bulk of poor in the united states are due to the white skinned majority, still white, which means, if they can divide the whites from the minorities, including the poor whites, they can further enjoy the privilege of class while we all fight each other.

Most whites have more in common with minorities than those who do not. The majority of people in the US are poor, and the majority of those poor are white. True privilege is, and always has been a factor of economic class not skin color.

posted on Jul, 16 2018 @ 07:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Puppylove

I would say that privilege is class based , in terms of monetary wealth etc
but poor white people still have the privilege of being treated reasonably by authority and the systems of governance that created the inequalities of this class based system !

People of colour do not have this privilege

so whilst poor whites dont have a financial privilege they still have a privilege when dealing with the inherently racist system.

posted on Jul, 16 2018 @ 07:49 AM
link   
a reply to: sapien82

Right, like poor white people have no issues with the law.

You want to fix anything you need unity, you won't get it making it a poor black man issue. Is not broad enough, and it's BS. Any poor white person who's had trouble with the law is not going to stand up for protection from the corrupt legal system for black people only.

Our legal system has ridiculous amounts of corruption, and plenty of people white and black have suffered for it, the only way to fix it, is to fix the whole system from the ground up, the only way to do that is with overwhelming support by the majority of the country.

The entire "white" privilege and focus on the black community when it comes to the corrupt activity of our legal system is precisely to prevent such a dramatic social change from happening.

Divide and conquer.

You can not fight a system corrupt to it's core, by focusing on a single symptom of it, especially when it's obvious their using that symptom to keep us divided.
edit on 7/16/2018 by Puppylove because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2018 @ 09:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Puppylove

I am not talking about poor white people not having criminal lifestyles due to poverty or other social and economic factors!
What I am saying is that although they are poor and white , they will still have some form of privilege when it comes to facing systems of authority which have been built off the back of a racist system !
A poor white man will trump a poor man of colour when staring into the faces of judgement of a racist system of authority !

The system is multifaceted , many just need to realise there is far more things in our humanity which unify us than divide us !

posted on Jul, 16 2018 @ 09:39 AM
link   
a reply to: sapien82

You're wrong and it would takes pages to demonstrate how and why you are wrong. You are partially right, but not in any way that matters to the topic of fixing the issue. Which is the problem. As for privilege, legally, pretty much, once again a matter of money. Whether you are black or white, if you are poor, you're pretty much taking a plea deal whether you're guilty or not most times in our current legal system. Does the plea deal sometimes work out more favorably for the white guy? Maybe. But so what? The bigger problem is the whole plea deal system of take it or be locked away for life because you're too poor for a good lawyer. That's only one aspect of it of the corrupt system.

You want people to fight over who's getting the bigger cock shoved up their ass by the corrupt system rather than fixing the goddamn corrupt system!

posted on Jul, 16 2018 @ 09:46 AM
link   
All the white privilege crap amounts to is that occasionally poor white people get crapped on a little less by society. Which is the problem, because looking at it as a white privilege issue can at best only result in being crapped on the same amount as the poor white people. Which is STILL being crapped on and abused by a corrupt system that's designed to function only for the benefit of the rich.

For some reason can't add this to last post edit feature not working

posted on Jul, 16 2018 @ 10:09 AM
link   

I'm going to attempt to define this out of good faith.

White privilege is where society has baked into it an inherent edge for white people over people of other races. This privilege is hard to identify if you grew up in it. ALSO, the privilege doesn't automatically mean you as a white person will be rich, successful or have an awesome life. It just means that if you were to put a person of a different skin color into the EXACT, same circumstances as you, then the other person would have a harder time coming out on top than you would. That doesn't mean that you can't fail nor does it mean that the other person can't succeed. It just means that you have the odds more in your favor due to societal advantages as a white person over them.

White privilege's existence doesn't make you a racist either. It's just a facet of our society. It's not you or my fault that it exists, but recognizing its existence does go a long way to helping combat it. Though I will say that trying to deny its existence when it is easily provable with things like arrest statistics could be a symptom of racism.
edit on 16-7-2018 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2018 @ 12:56 PM
link   
lol,

White privilege (or white skin privilege) is the societal privilege that benefits people whom society identifies as white in some countries, beyond what is commonly experienced by non-white people under the same social, political, or economic circumstances. Academic perspectives such as critical race theory and whiteness studies use the concept to analyze how racism and racialized societies affect the lives of white or white-skinned people.

posted on Jul, 16 2018 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I wouldn't call it "white privilege" as much as a "not being white disadvantage." It would be better if everyone were elevated... anyone that wants another group to sink to the level their own group has in whatever fashion (perceived benefits, or lack thereof, lack of money, or whatever...), isn't rightly thinking.

But of course there are perceived benefits. Does a white guy wearing a hoodie walking down the street have a cop pull up and ask him what he is up to? Of course not. But you certainly can if you are not white. So... police activity, ability to get jobs, loans, you name it... there are some groups of people that have a distinct disadvantage that they otherwise probably would not have, if they were white. It is very real, and assuming otherwise is silly. I don't think it is where it was in the past, but I still think it's there. My wife, who is Korean, often has pointed out the sorts of things I would not think of, being white. She also took some course in college about this sort of thing, so she does know more about it than I do. : )

posted on Jul, 16 2018 @ 01:11 PM
link   
The only people that I've seen complain about white privilege, are the one who are privileged, and are white. You know the ones who want immigration legalized so they can have a cheap Gardner, or don't want anyone else whom are home grown that can talk like a deceptive, white man that can drive a really hard bargain.

Any one of colour or with some status that compalins about actually works for the white man, like the good little brainless slaves they are, like like being handled by a white man so they can get a bone like the good little bitches they are. Like, who knew!?

That right, suck that...and you will be a white person one day, whip an all.

edit on 16-7-2018 by Specimen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2018 @ 01:54 PM
link   
If you're white go pick up a Vibe magazine, or see Black Panther. Then, imagine that that experience and the huge majority of faces you grew up seeing on TV as the main character, in magazines as the sex symbol, in movies as the hero, advertising as the spokesperson, plastered all over the place in popular culture etc. was the cultural norm.

Sure you'll see some other races here and there but imagine that's been the blanket norm for literally centuries and that your people always had to carve out a sub genre just to be represented AT ALL. (To say nothing of segregation of schools, hospitals, water fountains, being relegated as less than...)

If you can't imagine that, that's your white privilege getting in the way. That meme with the poor white kids? They may be dirt poor, too, but I can pretty much guarantee you that the dolls they play with, and the people they see on TV are all white. The world around them looks like them. POC don't even have that.

And that's not because poc aren't pulling themselves up by their bootstraps, it's because they got a big white foot on their boot whenever they've tried.

(post by Xenogears removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 01:50 AM
link   
White people had a head start in accumulating wealth and power in America.. this is big because wealth tends to snowball.

Also blacks were not always thought of as equals.. so there has been a stigma that they are the "new guy" around, like when there's a new guy at work or when you have a guest at your home and they are slightly uncomfortable because well it isn't their home.

This is how I would explain "white privilege"

However I would say every day that goes by, it goes away more and more because the wealth head start means less and less as more time passes. A 10 second head start on a race might seem like a lot at first, but if you race for over an hour it won't mean as much.

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 03:34 AM
link   

what is 'white privilege'? Nobdy seems to want to .

Origin of the phrase Free "White" And 21

I'm free, white, and twenty-one" was used in several films of the 1930's, generally to mean "I can do what I want and no one can stop me" and that the phrase was common in that era, at least in the some parts of the U.S.
english.stackexchange.com...

The above shows that no real explanations is really needed, most folks instinctively already knew it.
Though the phrase itself has long disappeared, the idea behind it lingers.

Actually it have been explained numerous times, but detractors and deflectors find ways to side step the issue and go off on a tangent without actually listening or read what was said.
But in short.. "White Privilege" are a set of positive assumptions about white ppl when viewed against that of others especially black ppl.in the negative.

It doesn't mean all white folks got it made, or that they were gifted everything they had without struggle or hard work.
It means on average, a white person can go anywhere and do anything they damn well please, without drawing negative Suspicion to themselves.

Ex: it assumes on "average", that all white ppl belonged to that upscale gated community.
.Don't call the police.

Conversely It assumes black ppl on average does not...hence , I.d check required by random white ppl.
Call the police.

It assumes a black female napping in the common RM on an ivy league campus does not belonged there.
Call the police.

It assumes a Black first class passenger waiting in the fast tract line, didn't belong there or was in fact a military personal, flying 1st class on Uncle Sam's dime to a tropical retreat , and the young white lady with her cohorts deserved to skipped ahead of him.
It never occurred to her that the rather obese gentleman was non military Andy ticket was not an upgrade, but was in fact a music executive, with fk-u money.

It assumes driving a nice ride, that is probably stolen. If you are black.
Stopped by the police.

It assumes the police and other LEO is there to protect "U" against the them! and your word should be taken as gospel and theirs suspect.

Again not to say white ppl don't have bad sht happened to them.

edit on 17-7-2018 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 10:07 AM
link   

It´s the luck of being born white. Or another subversive idea made up by those who will never be someone because they don´t want to work.

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 10:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: DrRodneyBustard

It´s the luck of being born white. Or another subversive idea made up by those who will never be someone because they don´t want to work.

Go ahead deflect and dismiss at will , part of what "white" privilege is, is The ability to ignore the voices of others.
edit on 17-7-2018 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 01:20 PM
link   
White Privilege is a fake term used by Liberals to blame someone else for their mistakes. Everyone wishes that they grew up to be something useful in society, but there are those who have become nothing and want to blame all white people for it, because they're losers. They were never slaves, never under any oppression but yet they cry as if they were. They are entitled, cry baby, Liberal scum and nothing more.

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 01:27 PM
link   
a reply to: IlluminatiTechnician

Yea..

Like when people with black sounding names get less than half the call backs on job applications than someone with a white sounding name..

It was their mistake for having a black sounding name...

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join