It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

what is 'white privilege'? Nobdy seems to want to explain

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 08:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: randomtangentsrme
a reply to: Lucidparadox

What you say is incorrect.

1. As an employer, I would interview all with resumes that meet or exceed the requirements.

2. Crime happens in all neighborhoods. If you do not think that is true, that is your problem. But ask yourself, if you were looking to rob a house, what neighborhood would you target?

3. It depends on how you define hair or style. I had long hair in my teenage years, the amount of times I was asked about being a stoner because of it was ridiculous. Mostly because I had never done pot.
I wear a wallet chain due to my work and it being good practice to have everything in my pockets attached to me.
Do not tell me I am not judged. I see it and I hear it.

4. I do not see what you think you see.

I'm sorry you have drank the kool-aid.

1. Watch the documentary freakanomics. They literally test out the resume scenario and it proves to be true. I understand what YOU say you would do... But what YOURE actions would be.. are not the actions that the majority of society actually takes.

2. Crime happens in all neighborhoods, yes. But statistically crime happens MORE in impoverished neighborhoods. Crime rates are HIGHER. This provides basis for a prejudiced justice and enforcement system.

3. Once again. You keep relating this back to YOURSELF and YOUR. Experiences. Tell me about the dillemma you have had with your hair and proper styling.. or clothing.. as it pertains to an afro/locs/braids etc. You can't possibly have a perspective on this.

4. I think you don't see what I see.. because of the circles you run in. I am a Caucasian male who grew up in predominantly black and impoverished neighborhoods, with probably 90% of my friends being black. Now I'm 29 and live in one of the richest cities in America with almost no minority population and the friends I have from where I am now reflect that. However on social media I am still friends with people from my childhood and I see and participate in discussions they have about body image.. race.. etc regularly.. and the opinions I put forth up above were directly from the people experiencing it.

No Kool Aid.. just reality

My fellow white Americans just can't relate. I don't blame white people for not understanding and not believing in white privilege.. how can they? Especially if their only perspective and Experience has been from being white and being predominantly ingrained in white culture.

I grew up without a father. People always feel bad for me and saw 'aww that must have been so hard' etc. However to me.. it never bothered me.

Why?

Because I never had one in the first place. It's not like I had something then lost it. I was ignorant to the concept of a father. It didn't exist to me, so it never bothered me.

This is sort of how whites are with white privilege. They don't understand/can't see it.. because they don't know anything else.

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 08:06 PM
link   
I forgot that debating on ATS is pointless.

Everyone is here to "WIN"

Not to "Understand"

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 08:12 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I started a thread trying to get a valid rational answer last year. Never got one. Good luck.

edit on 14-7-2018 by openminded2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 08:16 PM
link   
a reply to: openminded2011

It is a bad term used to describe sestemic discrimination against minorities..

I find it hard to believe no one said what is common knowledge.. I bet I could go through that thread and find no shortage of people who correctly answered your question just for you to ignore them..

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 08:17 PM
link   
a reply to: openminded2011

Oh look I answered it like 3rd on your previous post..

It is an oxymoronic term that actually means "black discrimination.." Because obviously a poor white person in America isn't privledged.. Why the left tends to choose to put logical fallacies right in the title of issues where imho they are in the right... I have no idea.. Well or I guess it is the short sighted view of knowing they will energize a certain percent of the population by putting "black " in the title even when it is not a black only issue.. Take black lives matter.. obviously police shootings are not a black only issue.. so good luck fixing it by only looking into black cases.. I almost think it is on purpose... so the problem persists which keeps activist groups in business.. All that said, I think right wing propaganda is meant for even dumber people.. left wing propaganda is meant to pull the heart strings.. the rights propaganda is meant to make you not care if people are inprisoned for no reason or shot by police when not a threat...

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Not everyone...

Most of these type things have objective answers and are not subjective..

“Does the average minority have a harder time in America than your average white person??””

That is an objectively knowable thing..

There is a yes or no answer there..

It seems to me that one political faction has made a cottage industry out of villinizing the people with the least power or authority in society and pretending like it isn’t TPTB that run the various sectors of society that are the problem..

Nooo

It is the people who dont run squat..

If we would just deregulate all the bigwig corporate interests then everything would be peachy..

Totally forgetting the reaso we started regulating the big corporations I The first place..

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Ya know, I work with a dude, a black dude at that. His uncle owns a business in St.Louis Mo, he says not one white person works for him at all by his choice, but if a white were to do this with his company, they'd have a BIG lawsuit. Now please tell me how there was white privilege going on there. Honestly I can give two S*hits what his uncle does with his business, it is his business but again, where is there white privilege in that scenario?

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 08:36 PM
link   
White privilege..... is the myth that you can not make something out of yourself despite adversity.

Black people all across America can have some white privilege if they want it. It is really easy to get.

First.... instead of going down to the park and shooting some hoops, do your homework

then.... instead of betting your future on the NBA or the lottery......... study for any tests you may have coming

Third..... refuse to call anyone kneega....

lastly, get a degree.

After you do these things you will be given some white privilege of your very own.... and will allowed to do all the exact same things that the privileged white people do....

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 08:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Zimnydran

So people with black sounding names do not get less than 50% of the call backs that white sounding names get???

So black people do not get more time for the same infractions in the Justice system??

So there were not communities that refused to sell or rent housing to black people??

edit on 14-7-2018 by JoshuaCox because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 08:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox

So people with black sounding names no not get less than 50% of the call backs that white sounding names get???

So black people do not get more time for the same infractions in the Justice system??

So there were not communities that refused to sell or rent housing to black people??

Well, it is annoying to hear "DA" in front of every type of name and there are black owned properties that dont rent to whites, there are mexican owned properties that dont rent to asains, there are asian owned properties that ONLY rent to asians or not to mexicans, there are white owned properties that dont rent to blacks, it happens ALL the time, we cant stop it all.

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 08:56 PM
link   
a reply to: xBWOMPx

Where the hell do they do that lol??

Your just pulling that n Nonsense out of your butt..

There have only been black owned ANYTHING for the last 50 years lol..

When in American history has there EVER been a buisness who refused to serve whites??!

You literally had the whole south refuse to serve blacks less than a lifetime ago..

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Yea..

The whole “I know a guy, who knows a guy, who said...”

BWAHAHAHA

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 08:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: xBWOMPx

Ya know, I work with a dude, a black dude at that. His uncle owns a business in St.Louis Mo, he says not one white person works for him at all by his choice, but if a white were to do this with his company, they'd have a BIG lawsuit. Now please tell me how there was white privilege going on there. Honestly I can give two S*hits what his uncle does with his business, it is his business but again, where is there white privilege in that scenario?

It does happen. It happens all the time. Take a look at some silicon valley companies and their % of African American workers.

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 09:11 PM
link   

What garbage..

I’m not saying it has never happened in history..

Is there anything someone could point to that hasn’t ever happened before..

But there for damn sure is not some sestemic trend of white people being discriminated against for being white..

That’s what’s known as propaganda meant for stupid people..

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Where the hell do they do that lol??

Your just pulling that n Nonsense out of your butt..

There have only been black owned ANYTHING for the last 50 years lol..

When in American history has there EVER been a buisness who refused to serve whites??!

You literally had the whole south refuse to serve blacks less than a lifetime ago..

It's the only one that I know of, but it happens, why dont you pull your head out of your butt. I never said his uncles business refused to serve white people, I just said he doesn't hire whites, he prefers blacks... Listen or read whichever it is your having trouble with.
There were black slave owners well before the civil war, of course, im sure im pulling that nonsense out of my butt, or am I? The fallowing is true rather you accept it or not...

In 1830 there was 3775 free black people who owned 12,740 black slaves

Most slaves brought to America were purchased by black slave owners in Africa

Slavery was common for thousands of years all over the world

WHITE PEOPLE ended legal chattel slavery

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

Now please, enlighten me on how blacks have EVER only owned anything the last 50 years Mr.LOL or Mr.BWAHAHA whatever you prefer
edit on 14-7-2018 by xBWOMPx because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 10:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Taggart
It's not all coming from white people.
Enjoy!

www.youtube.com...

edit on 14-7-2018 by Bob350 because: clarity

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 10:55 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

McIntosh's degree was in English, not Anthropology, Population Statistics or any field relevant to her fake, fact-free "white privilege" bull#. Furthermore, she 100% pulled this concept out of her ass, not from any statistics or demonstratable, repeatable scientific method .

It's as valid as claiming the moon is made of cheese or claiming the earth is flat.

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 03:08 AM
link   

So people with black sounding names do not get less than 50% of the call backs that white sounding names get???

Despite adversity.... people can still be successful..... even black ones

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 05:23 AM
link   
a reply to: CaptainHook

First crack at the Mayonaisse jars?

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 07:35 AM
link   

What is that supposed to mean ?!??

“If one person from whatever social group is successful. Then everyone from that group can be successful?!?!”

On what planet is that reality?!?!

All that matters is can the average person make it..

That is literally the dumbest logic I have heard all day..

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join