It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

what is 'white privilege'? Nobdy seems to want to explain

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 07:40 AM
link   
One example of white privilege is that white people are more attractive. Whatever the reason for that may be, societal or whatever, it doesn't matter for my argument. I heard that in China you can get paid to come to peoples parties just for being a normal-looking white person, as if you were some sort of b-list celebrity. Just because it's THAT cool to have a white friend.

Yet there is no privilege?

Another example is that your culture is dominant in the world. It literally dominated and dominates other cultures. Of course this doesn't apply equally to all whites. Americans, British, and other former parts of the Empire benefit hugely from this, because of the English language. Then we have countries like Germany, France, Spain, Russia, Italy, etc; all have either been huge in history, or they are still significant players next to America. But even smaller peoples like the Swedes or Icelanders may have had huge impacts on the world in more limited ways. Or Scots, or Czechs or something. These make up a huge majority of whites. The rest have even less of the white privilege, perhaps.

Please consider that the privilege exists even if it may be earned. If your dad worked super hard to become a wealthy and respected man, do you have less privilege then than if he just won the lottery? No, you probably have way more privilege. Some people on the left may abuse this idea of privilege. That doesn't make it non-existent. If you conservatives ignore its existence just to deny liberals any advantage, then you are being just as intellectually dishonest as any rabid liberal calling for reparations might be.

originally posted by: DAVID64

What's white privilege about that picture? Those people appear to be poor hillbillies.

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 11:04 AM
link   
a reply to: CaptainHook

www.washingtonpost.com...

en.m.wikipedia.org...

There are tools on the internets you can use to learn stuff, they are called search engines. Google is one, I prefer DuckDuckGo.

As an instrument of division the whole construct of white privilege is designed to further divide the US along racial fault lines. Its worked quite well!

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 11:49 AM
link   
It's a combination of : majority white people being in power, white families having an extreme majority of generational wealth, wealth playing a role in education quality, white people having a majority of roles in politics, corporations, policing and everything else.

Basically, if you're white, you have more chances of opportunity for success.

That's my interpretation. I get it, but the left has taken the concept to the extreme, so now it's all about hatin' whitey. The right also encourages this behavior. They love to write endless articles about how SJW snowflake lefties are taking over the world.

You can't have any real conversation if it's always these silly left or right extremists in the room.

These things should be talked about, but without all the nonsense.
edit on 15-7-2018 by blueman12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 11:50 AM
link   

edit on 15-7-2018 by blueman12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 11:57 AM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

Everything is being done to divide us. Not just liberals.

If you think it's just democrats/liberals then they have succeeded in dividing.

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 12:20 PM
link   

It's the argument made by Marxist operatives pushing class warfare to achieve their ends. They just forgot they replaced it with affirmative action. They also forgot they hate the Royals when they pushed the narrative of Trump disrespecting the queen. Did anyone here know that German nobility had to lose the title of von in their names due to class warfare and hatred of the wealthy....
edit on 15-7-2018 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-7-2018 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 12:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Cutepants

Those children are just black and brown that look like white people, there are no such thing as broke white people, pffft

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 12:53 PM
link   
White Privilege Claim aka I'm too lazy to put forth effort in a country that has unlimited opportunity.

Just another excuse for people to blame somebody else, while not even trying to be a useful part of society.

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 01:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: eXia7
White Privilege Claim aka I'm too lazy to put forth effort in a country that has unlimited opportunity.

Just another excuse for people to blame somebody else, while not even trying to be a useful part of society.

hey HEY, some people dont like the truth, why cant you just pamper them with sweet nothings of how horrible white people are!!!

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: blueman12

Read my post. I never said that. The articles I referenced discussed the Leftist concept of white privilige because they are the authors of the whole paradigm. BTW, I dont see any "Liberals" at work in the US, these days, just people who mascarade as "Liberals" to hide the fact that they are either alt-right or alt-left authoritarians.

And yes, the Repubs work at division as well. Trump is a perfect example of that.

I heard a journalist asked the question, "how do we stop dividing and work toward re-uniting the country". His answer was interesting. He said basically, the divide is too wide and deep to fix. The US is broken and there's no putting it back together. Personally I think he's correct. But there's an important question that wasn't asked and which he didn't answer.

That question is.......where do US Americans go from here? Any of them and all of them, what does the future hold for residents of the US?

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 01:37 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

Ya know, reading your post just made me think, "What if" the invasion of iraq and our presence in the middle east were also testing grounds on how to keep chaos in order so they can do the same in America so they dont have to worry about a civil war or collapse of the government by the people... What ever it is they are doing, it's working, not a day goes by I dont see someone down another persons throat for an opinion.

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: xBWOMPx

That's a possibility.

My guess is it will play oout a bit differently in the nearer future. My guess is that whats going to happen in the near future, i if its not already happening today is that people will self-segregate along tribal and economic/political social grounds. That may already be happening.

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 01:50 PM
link   
a reply to: xBWOMPx

Those poor children are so poor they couldn't even afford to go to the solarium to get tanned!

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 02:28 PM
link   
I am gene-a-rally perceived as a whitey.
I am black from the waist down in the 5th dimension.
i have to beat the women off with a stick.

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 03:07 PM
link   
White privilege is easily attainable. Here is a guide for those who need it.

Get off your lazy ass
Get a job
Pay your bills and taxes
Take care of your family

Boom, problem solved!

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 04:59 PM
link   

It's the idea that no matter what your situation is, it is somehow much, much easier for you if you are white.

You could be the most piss poor homeless person ever, but the theory says that because this country was founded by white people and the system it runs on started off by white people mainly, then if you were any other race than white ... you would be worse off as a homeless person.

That idea carries over into the idea that if you are male, you are better off.

If you are Christian you are better off.

If you are straight and gender conforming you are better off.

So, you are obviously the best/worst person alive if you are a straight, white, Christian male even if you are a piss poor homeless person, and no matter how bad you think you have it. You would be worse off if even one of those things was different, and if you don't believe it or think you suffer, you better just shut up and die because activists will not cease to tell you so.
edit on 15-7-2018 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 05:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Cutepants

That is literally the most left field , irrelevant...

MANY previous posters and do myself have repeatedly said that white privledge is really an issue of “black discrimination “..

Your ignoring the point and debating the “username”.. lol..

Which is exactly why the left is crap at marketing..

They will be on the right side of an issue, but have suck poor marketing people spend the whole time debating the verbiage..

Lol

Life or at least the internet needs debate refs.

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 06:34 PM
link   

An excuse to behave badly while allowing one group to blame another group for perceived wrong doings.

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 07:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox
a reply to: openminded2011

It is a bad term used to describe sestemic discrimination against minorities..

I find it hard to believe no one said what is common knowledge.. I bet I could go through that thread and find no shortage of people who correctly answered your question just for you to ignore them..

There is no "systemic" discrimination against minorities. I am not saying there aren't incidents of discrimination, but there is no coordinated state sanctioned discrimination. Thats total BS.

posted on Jul, 16 2018 @ 03:42 AM
link   
"white privilege" is just another word for "nothin left to lose"

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join