It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

what is 'white privilege'? Nobdy seems to want to explain

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 05:40 PM
link   
The only time we have some "white privilege "is with the cops.

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 05:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: notsure1

Only white privilege I have with the cops is being intelligent enough not to be disrespectful to them when they pull me over.

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 05:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

originally posted by: notsure1

Only white privilege I have with the cops is being intelligent enough not to be disrespectful to them when they pull me over.

LOL that always helps..

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 05:56 PM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

Multiple felons means untrustworthy criminals.

By definition, you have described yourself as someone who does not belong in society.

Congratulations.

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 06:02 PM
link   
a reply to: CaptainHook

It is a terminology which historically is actually incorrect, CLASS PRIVILEGE is more accurate.
Slavery has indeed touched each and every family of man upon this planet, most African slaves of the last 500 years were actually enslaved by other African's and of course the Islamic world, for Eon's human's have enslaved one another and indeed even while African people were being taken to the Americas and other colony's before the European powers over powered there Islamic neighbor's and reverse invaded north Africa million's of Europeans were actually taken captive and enslaved suffering the same inhumane treatment's at the hand's of the north and west African slave traders.

In today's world the Term is slang meant to suggest that White people are someone better off simply because of there skin color and indeed to a large degree especially in the US that is actually true but once again the real boundary is social class and race is only still on the table due to the growing reverse racism which has put the moderate struggle for right's back decade's while hatred of white's and black racism against whites has merely alienated many white middle class folk who otherwise would have been on there side.

The point is someone want's to keep American society divided, who is it that actually fears strong socially progressive movement's and even lies about them, who wan't so to keep people divided and even want's to both allow and even promote this racism.

Ultra right remember are simply puppet moron's on a string and ultra right is not only white but also ultra racist black movement's which are if you could blind them all exactly the same haters as one another and doing the work of those that want to keep them divided for them - perhaps without even realizing that there own dumb idiocy is the very reason there sectors of society are so impoverished to this day.

But the only one's that gain and perhaps the only one's that want to keep these division's are a minority of old upper class people.

Now sorry this is an outsiders view I am not from the states but from Liverpool, as a kid I suffered a reverse racism when the a black guy whom claimed to be the cousin of the black Liverpool boxer John Conteh and shared his last name was illegally firing a cross bow in the Tawd Valley in the town of Skelmersdale Lancashire were I then lived, he singled me out completely un-provoked from my friend's when we being kid's just stopped to see the cross bow since I was always extremely pale - I was ill actually, a sickly kid so to speak so that explained my pale appearance and unbeknown to that prat I am part Maori (as well as part Jewish but mostly yes English with some Irish thrown in, indeed he had no way of knowing my ancestry so it was merely because I was whiter than the other kid's whom were 100 percent Caucasian) and would very easily tear him apart now that I am a grown and rather large man.

Then having singled out this kid this man who was in his thirty's, I was about 11 and only playing out with some friend's and actually not too far from home, grabbed by the throat insulted me then hacked up and spat in my face a large green snotty golly calling me some pretty foul thing's.

Though this may sound funny it was terrifying to a kid that came from a quiet family nevertheless I would dearly love to see him today though he is likely an old man now since this was back in the early 1980's, for a time this shocked me a kid who had always regarded racism as evil especially since I was a very sensitive and quite kid as well but this had the affect of utterly alienating me to ALL black people for a couple of years there after.

I am no longer so alienated and regard people as simply people where he was just a walking sack of excrement.

So White privilege elsewhere in the world, well it's false but I would love to have some.

edit on 14-7-2018 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 06:06 PM
link   
But wait...according to Sen E. Warren, aren’t we all part Cherokee (I mean, since we don’t have to prove it or anything). How does that fit in to white privilege?

What about Oprah...

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 06:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Admitted
I can't believe this conversation is still going on.

SaturnFX summed it up: it's inheritance, not race.

The only problem is in our language.

We can't change our race. If I'm white and born into a wealthy family: I'm privileged. If I'm black and born into a wealthy family: I'm privileged.

It's inheritance. It's money. It's not white/black/red/yellow.

But continue arguing and hating each other...you'll get exactly where the privileged want you to be.

Care to tell those who insist that by virtue of being born white, people somehow are inherently better off?

Thanks.

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 06:14 PM
link   

White people have privileged since they generally promote family, hard work, and desire to get ahead. Few other people have this attitude, except asians and Indians doing well. Why to white people in a car lock the doors when a Black person approaches? Because blacks are much more prone to killing you. Blacks and Illegals make up 95% of the people in prison, need to keep them away.

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Hey?

How can I have white privilege when for decades I keep getting called a redneck,trailer trash, and what not?

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 06:25 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

Last time I got pulled over, for a GD seat belt violation.

I said well ya gotta pay for those new cars somehow.

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 06:55 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

It really pisses me off..

I think the left is correct about the issue, but their marketing is just garbage..

To be fair I think most of the time it is some random nobodies who think up the concept of white privledge or Black lives matter, but then it is a conservative think tank with a room full of Ivy League marketing degrees who think up the rebuttal.

edit on 14-7-2018 by JoshuaCox because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 07:04 PM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

The left is busy with identity politics and I believe the right ignores the real problems too.

We've all discussed them at some level or another.

Criminal justice reform (this can take many shapes which don't have to amount to letting criminals walk).
Ending the War on Drugs.
Real Access to quality, affordable healthcare (which is not analogous to forced "access" to health insurance).
Massive investment in education, which has stood essentially unchanged for over 200 years.

It's time to start updating. Reflecting our world today rather than dragging the past and its failed ideologies forward another century.

edit on 14 7 18 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Lol?? WHAT?!??

What do you think basically everything the right says is???

Identity politics..

“The left hates Christians” = identity politics..

“The left hates police” = identity politics

The left hates the military= identity politics..

Any mention of thugs, welfare queens, exc,

Identity politics has been going on for all of American history ..

EVEN To this day white identity politics has alWaYs been more effective than brown identity politics..

Why??

BECAUSE THE MAJORITY OF THE POPULATION IS WHITE!!

Obviously..

Lol..

So of course you get more votes playing to whiteness than the alternative..

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 07:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: CaptainHook
Every time I see someone say white privilege. They won't explain or say 'pay up' or give a simple context saying 'look around you'. Then get frustrated with people who are not understanding. So, I was wondering if you could explain what 'white privilege' is.

Do you think it exist? What is your explanation of the meaning white privilege?

White privilege definitely exists. I am a white 29 year old male, and I can see my privaledge every day. White privilege is best explained in examples. I will provide some.

1. When an employer is scanning through resumes and they are picking candidates to bring in for an interview. It has been shown with case studies that if there are 2 candidates with the same resume (education, experience, background) however 1 has a sterotypical white name (Ryan Andrews).. and the other has a name that is what would be considered culturally black or foreign (Reyshawn Jackson)... The white name gets called in for the interview 80% more than the black name.

2. Police are subjected to crime all day every day. Crime occurs in impoverished neighborhoods because people have no money and are desperate. The majority of impoverished neighborhoods are minority neighborhoods because systematically it is harder for people of color to get out.. they don't have history and family wealth from years and years in their favor. Because the majority of crimes happen in these neighborhoods police become biased... Correlation does not mean causation (when talking g skin color) but it's what they're subjected to all day. So we as Caucasian people, do not have to fear that a police officer will have a predetermined mentality towards us because of how we look (skin color) and assume we are violent or are up to no good.

3. Societal standards in the US for clothing and grooming, because the country has a history of being predominantly white, along with it's power structure, are based off of white culture. Caucasian people don't have to worry as much about how their hair or their style is received in the workplace or in public.

4. Standards specifically for female beauty in the US are a problem for everyone, but especially women of color. The images they see in the media, movies, magazines etc. Of what a beautiful woman/person should look like are never represented by people with their skin tones and body typea.. leading to self hate/body shaming etc.

These are just a few examples.

Long story short, the point of white privaledge.. is that in our day to day lives as white Americans.. we never have to think about how our race plays into our daily activities, roles, and actions. That's not the case for every American. It is a privaledge of ours.

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 07:33 PM
link   

The right has convinced their base that there is a total alternative reality where free speech is in danger, “the left” (which doesn’t even exist as an institution you can refer to like it is one thing) is on the verge of violent uprisings and that white Christian males are the most discriminated against group in America..

Take BLM..

There really is an issue with police accountability, but just not a black only issue..

The rights rebuttal??

There is no issue.. people should follow the orders of the state flawlessly or risk being executed..

Take “white privledge “..

There really is a problem with discrimination against black people, but not all white people are privledged.

The rights rebuttal??

There is no issue.. white Christian males are the most discriminated against demographic..

One side admits there is a problem, only poorly.

The other side pretends there is no problem..

Who is more right??

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 07:39 PM
link   
'White privilege' as a concept is the rationalization of non-White failure.

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 07:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Lucidparadox

What you say is incorrect.

1. As an employer, I would interview all with resumes that meet or exceed the requirements.

2. Crime happens in all neighborhoods. If you do not think that is true, that is your problem. But ask yourself, if you were looking to rob a house, what neighborhood would you target?

3. It depends on how you define hair or style. I had long hair in my teenage years, the amount of times I was asked about being a stoner because of it was ridiculous. Mostly because I had never done pot.
I wear a wallet chain due to my work and it being good practice to have everything in my pockets attached to me.
Do not tell me I am not judged. I see it and I hear it.

4. I do not see what you think you see.

I'm sorry you have drank the kool-aid.

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 07:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: SummerRain

originally posted by: Admitted
I can't believe this conversation is still going on.

SaturnFX summed it up: it's inheritance, not race.

The only problem is in our language.

We can't change our race. If I'm white and born into a wealthy family: I'm privileged. If I'm black and born into a wealthy family: I'm privileged.

It's inheritance. It's money. It's not white/black/red/yellow.

But continue arguing and hating each other...you'll get exactly where the privileged want you to be.

Care to tell those who insist that by virtue of being born white, people somehow are inherently better off?

Thanks.

Sure. I guess. *Ahem*

Those of you who insist that by virtue of being born white, you are better off!

Ok?

I still don't get it man.

It doesn't matter. At all. I don't care what color you are, or anyone is. You're born into money, or you're not.

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 07:57 PM
link   
same 'privileged' upbringing in Michigan.

a reply to: DAVID64

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 08:00 PM
link   

It's when I can pull a real gun looking water gun on a cop. Scare that cop and not be shoot or arrested.

I really did that...I was drunk.

Could a black man do that?

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join