It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

what is 'white privilege'? Nobdy seems to want to explain

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 02:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: badmackie
White people had a head start in accumulating wealth and power in America.. this is big because wealth tends to snowball.

Also blacks were not always thought of as equals.. so there has been a stigma that they are the "new guy" around, like when there's a new guy at work or when you have a guest at your home and they are slightly uncomfortable because well it isn't their home.

This is how I would explain "white privilege"

However I would say every day that goes by, it goes away more and more because the wealth head start means less and less as more time passes. A 10 second head start on a race might seem like a lot at first, but if you race for over an hour it won't mean as much.

I heard think it was from Stefan Molyneux that 70% of upper class families lose their wealth by the second generation, suggesting that for most upper class there is quite a good bit of mobility.

There is also the comments that school vouchers don't seem to make much difference, and it is the individual not the school that makes the difference. As well as the comments that IQ not only is heritable but is highly predictive of outcomes when combined with certain personality traits.

If you see self made millionaires and billionaires with outstanding innovation, that is something quite interesting.
edit on 17-7-2018 by Xenogears because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 02:56 PM
link   
As for differences in expectations they are based on statistical facts. If you see that say a certain group commits a disproportionate number of crimes. It is sound to think that members of said group might have a higher likelihood of doing so. Of course, this won't always be true, as there are exceptions.

But it is for example when you take crime

In the United States, men are much more likely to be incarcerated than women. More than 9 times as many men (5,037,000) as women (581,000) had ever at one time been incarcerated in a State or Federal prison at year end 2001.[45]

In 2014, more than 73% of those arrested in the US were males.[46] Men accounted for 80.4 percent of persons arrested for violent crime and 62.9 percent of those arrested for property crime.[46] In 2011, the United States Department of Justice compiled homicide statistics in the United States between 1980 and 2008.[47] That study showed the following:

Males were convicted of the vast majority of homicides in the United States, representing 89.5% of the total number of offenders.-wiki

Would it be wrong to say that men are more likely to commit violent crime or murder than women? Of course not. But there will always be exceptions, and obviously most people are not criminals.

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 07:15 AM
link   
I like how most folks here talked about everything, but what the O.P asked of us.

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Most people arent criminals , and the majority are law abiding citizens.

But you mix poverty , unemployment and then a government who actively engage in narco terrorism to fund CIA black projects then you get a lot of crime !

Not saying the US government are entirely to blame , but what chance do you have when your own government are flooding your communities with illegal drugs just so they can overthrow commies elsewhere !

edit on 18-7-2018 by sapien82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 07:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

people dont like to admit that they are a part of the problem , even if that part is simply admitting ignorance of a real issue
which is affecting other humans !

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 07:24 AM
link   
a reply to: sapien82

And what a wasted opportunity that is.

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 07:48 AM
link   
It boils down to perception. Whites are the vast majority in NA and Europe. That means that they are going to the most active in societies functions.

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 09:33 AM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

So just because the majority perceive no issue that somehow means that the reality for other humans who do perceive an issue is a fallacy ?

I'm sorry but that just doesnt cut it !

I dont think that its subjective to the individual , its objective fact that we live in a system of institutionalised racism.
It may not have started out that way , but it certainly ended up that way.

People arent willing to admit that white privilege exists simply because they dont think at affects them directly , but its not that its affecting them directly , its passive they dont need to do anything , that is the issue
and that it is directly affecting humans who arent white !

It may not be as bad in the systems in the UK , or mainland Europe , but in America its built into the very fabric of society!
What really pisses me off about it in america is that many men fought against this type of racism and oppression in the fields , skies and deserts against the axis powers , to come home to racism form their own and it continued on until vietnam as well
Which should never have happened , but racism is a tough weed to kill, but it all starts when people own up to their involvement , whether they realise it or not!

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 12:47 PM
link   
The thing is from what I hear you take IQ into account and basically all racial differences in terms of incarceration rates and income levels vanish. That is for a given IQ level blacks and whites of said level have similar outcomes.

Which if true suggests racism plays only a small effect.

It is the differences in IQ between ethnicities that explains why on average some groups fare better or worse than others.

Now some say such known differences are completely cultural others say there's some innate component.

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 04:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Xenogears

IQ has been beat about to death in race baiting !

I recently read a really good book on humanity "man, beast and zombie" by Kenan Malik
a really good book, and the very subject of IQ comes up in the book when discussing racial differences

this article on that subject in his book!

malik on IQ

It is a dangerous area to proceed into !

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 07:21 AM
link   

So are people with black skin and such that move to the US from modern Africa more intelligent than those from slave trade Africa of the old days? Cause there seems to be a trend of people moving here, with black skin, from Africa and doing really well for themselves.

It's cultural not intelligence based.

Large numbers of black people have been tricked into embracing a culture of defeatism, into embracing a culture where that which brings success is punished, and that which harms is encouraged.
edit on 7/19/2018 by Puppylove because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 07:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: sapien82

I recently read a really good book on humanity "man, beast and zombie" by Kenan Malik
a really good book, and the very subject of IQ comes up in the book when discussing racial differences

malik on IQ

It may be beaten to death but polically correct leftists are just like some feminists denying physical differences between males and females when it comes to intelligence. Despite even the best world class female athletes being beaten by high school teenage boys, despite them failing countless physical tests passed by males. Despite trans female athletes beating soundly biological females.

The radical politically correct left which has taken control of academia,and is the source of sjw indoctrination into falsehoods, believes evolution stops at the neck, nothing above is affected internally, and there's no way any difference however small could exist in terms of intellect or creativity between groups.

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 07:31 AM
link   

How well people do on an intelligence test is directly connected to several factors, some which include how the test is culturally skewed, the education of the participants, the physical and mental health of the participant due to lifestyle, etc.

The reason some cultures like the Japanese do so well on intelligent tests is that due to their culture they would score high on all the factors. While a black man from the ghetto will have a worse education, less emphasis on activities that improve mental strength, live in a more unhealthy environment, and come from a culture very different from those who make these intelligence tests.

It has nothing to do with genetics, there is no magic slanted eyed = genius gene, or black skin = moron thug gene. It's cultural and environmental.

Both are just human beings with artificial differences from each other but a VAST cultural divide.

I mean which is more likely for the discrepancy, all the factors I listed, or their skin color or eye shape?

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 07:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Puppylove

at the same time, though , think about the level of consciousness a human now has compared to a human from medieval times

I think intelligence is culturally based or at least appears that way

a person in a hunter gatherer culture , would be considered intelligent or the most intelligent , if they had all the plant knowledge or all the knowledge of animal movements hunting techniques

then goto modern west , intelligence is measured by how skilled or able you are in your profession
so we look at academics , Physicist, surgeon, mathematician

Intelligence from both cultures is still measured on how well you can do something , or are able to express those understandings to others.

A human taken from cultural africa during the slave trade, their culture was hunter gatherer tribal based and compared to the culture of the Europeans at the time, they were going through the scientific revolution

racism and classism has been derived from European cultural exceptionalism
that Europeans determined that the highest heights a human could reach was the culture of Europe at that time!
anything less was savage , this was not considered at the time racist , it was just mans evolution on the scale from animal to man from ignorance to enlightenment.

This was then hi-jacked by certain individuals and used to race bait !

I think culture has a lot to do with intelligence , its your environment which builds you with your nurture as well .

You could go into the jungle and take a maths teacher a physics teacher and a linguist and you could teach those people and they could exhibit intelligence the same as any other person from Europe could.
However I think there are also many other factors involved , on a genetic level , on a social/cultural level
some people are born and are just absolutely stupid , and its not their fault they could have a genetic thing , a learning difficulty or are just not able to grasp academics, and are more intelligent in terms of art or working with their hands.

But as mentioned in the article I posted and the book I mentioned, its hard for science to go down this route in todays climate, as there is still far too much pain for everyone .

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 08:17 AM
link   
a reply to: sapien82

Yes nature and nurture play a big part of things. Someone naturally stupid will always be naturally stupid. That said, I see no proof that, nature and not nurture is the primary reason for the discrepancy.

There was a culture shift in the black community, there was a point where their culture was one of pride, hard work and overcoming the obstacles of racism. Things changed though, certain people found ways to profit off their struggle, many from their own community like the Al Sharptons of the world, and others who realized the best way to keep them down was to infect them with a culture in which, rather than seeking to overcome, they instead choose to blame others and prey on each other instead.

The enemy of the "black" culture is not "white" people. It's the subversive elements that have infected and plague their culture. Many of which are encouraged by their supposed allies, and people within their culture. Most white people have nothing to do with it, and all efforts to push the white privilege narrative are efforts to increase and enforce the defeatist attitude and keep them separate from whites with the same economic struggles beside them.

Black people are completely capable of changing if they throw off the shackles holding them down, they are no less human and capable than myself. Skin color does not change that. Like most struggles in the world, the key is recognizing the true enemy, and who is being set up as a distraction and false enemy.

Slavery would never have ended if the white majority had not supported it, many people of white skin fought and died for people of black skin, many white people where burned along side black people as "vulgar word for black skinned people" lovers by the KKK and other such folk. The white majority are not the enemy and any attempt to frame them that way and separate is clearly the machinations of people not friends of either of us.

They want us at each others throats, blaming each other, focusing on bull# rather than the real problems keeping us all down.

Is "white" privilege real? To an extent, yes, but not because of white people, but because of in some cases, the natural result of being a minority (Less people that look like you in media), and others the subversive purposeful efforts of the elites to divide us. White privilege is minuscule compared to class privilege, and uniting against class privilege will do more to alleviate the problems in the black community than any focus on white privilege. Though the black community has many other subversive elements to deal with for that unity to even work.

It's just a sophisticated version of bum fights. Get all us poor sods against each other for scraps, while the elite get fat and laugh. We actually are fighting over scraps, and who's master beats them less. Sure poor whites have it better than poor blacks, their master only beats them once a week as opposed to three times. The poor whites are clearly the issue and not the cruel masters.

I seem to have gone off on a rant separate from the original point. My point being that the current black culture has nothing to do with intelligence, and instead other factors.

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 08:51 AM
link   
If you are talking gender groups and not racial groups, then you need to move on to neuroscience to move past the falsehoods you now believe.

Differences in brain physiology between sexes do not necessarily relate to differences in intellect. Haier et al. found in a 2004 study that "[m]en and women apparently achieve similar IQ results with different brain regions, suggesting that there is no singular underlying neuroanatomical structure to general intelligence and that different types of brain designs may manifest equivalent intellectual performance.[65] For men, the gray matter volume in the frontal and parietal lobes correlates with IQ; for women, the gray matter volume in the frontal lobe and Broca's area (which is used in language processing) correlates with IQ.[66] Although men have bigger brain size which is partly explained by their bigger bodies, women have greater cortical thickness, cortical complexity and cortical surface area (controlling for body size) which compensates for smaller brain size.[67] Meta-analysis and studies have found that brain size explains 6–12% of variance among individual intelligence and cortical thickness explains 5%.[68][69] The study of brain networks of men and women[70] shows that in numerous graph-theoretical parameters, the structural connectome of women are significantly better connected than the connectome of men. Regarding the charge that there is bias in the research, it is argued that women's advantage remains valid[71] if large-brain women and small-brain men are compared, and that this indicates that the graph-theoretical differences are due to sex and not to size differences.

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 17CDT08America/Chicago05380831 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 09:04 AM
link   

people dont like to admit that they are a part of the problem , even if that part is simply admitting ignorance of a real issue
which is affecting other humans !

So true. How can whites be sensitive to or understand non-white people's struggles unless they walk in their shoes?

One white man did it and everyone can read about his experiences as a white man turned black man.

'Black Like Me'

en.wikipedia.org...

I can see times have changed somewhat with the upcoming generations, but the bias or hate, whatever it is, still lingers in pockets of society. Just recently, my nephew (he is very dark skinned) by marriage (my niece is very white skinned) was out in front of their upper middle class home doing some yard work, when two police officers approached him and asked him what is he doing in this neighbourhood. This is happening now.

Alternatively, my niece was working in the retail industry to pay for university when a black man started to argue with her about something, of course she stood her ground, then he pulled out the racism card, I guess because he was losing the argument. Anyway, she showed him a picture of her husband and then he did a 360 degree turnaround.

Any sociologists out there that can help?
edit on 17CDT09America/Chicago01190931 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 09:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xenogears

malik on IQ

It may be beaten to death but polically correct leftists are just like some feminists denying physical differences between males and females when it comes to intelligence. Despite even the best world class female athletes being beaten by high school teenage boys, despite them failing countless physical tests passed by males. Despite trans female athletes beating soundly biological females.

The radical politically correct left which has taken control of academia,and is the source of sjw indoctrination into falsehoods, believes evolution stops at the neck, nothing above is affected internally, and there's no way any difference however small could exist in terms of intellect or creativity between groups.

First off "race " is not really a thing, yes some folks are short some are tall,
Africans are both the tallest and shortest ppl in the world, there are no Superman based off so-called Race which is ill defined at best, not even intellectual capabilities. so called white folks weren't always on top, and especially Northern Europeans were not viewed as very bright, and for quite sometime, meanwhile some Africans were among the brightest and among the dumbest according to ancient commentators, today Africans pull ahead of Whites and Asians in terms of quals and income, in both the U.S and England, they also out paced the relatively mixed ethic group called AAs
The Most Successful Ethnic Group in the US May Surprise You
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Go here, environment and culture changes things.
edit on 19-7-2018 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 09:09 AM
link   

I remember that thread. Good read.

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 10:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Puppylove

How well people do on an intelligence test is directly connected to several factors, some which include how the test is culturally skewed, the education of the participants, the physical and mental health of the participant due to lifestyle, etc.

The reason some cultures like the Japanese do so well on intelligent tests is that due to their culture they would score high on all the factors. While a black man from the ghetto will have a worse education, less emphasis on activities that improve mental strength, live in a more unhealthy environment, and come from a culture very different from those who make these intelligence tests.

It has nothing to do with genetics, there is no magic slanted eyed = genius gene, or black skin = moron thug gene. It's cultural and environmental.

Both are just human beings with artificial differences from each other but a VAST cultural divide.

I mean which is more likely for the discrepancy, all the factors I listed, or their skin color or eye shape?

One of the greatest common misconsceptions is that iq tests are biased, if they were they would underpredict performance, but they don't they are just as accurate a predictor in one ethnic group as in another.

There has been information about the result of voucher programs, there has been adoption studies. IQ is not a measure of level of education, it is a measure of intellectual capacity. IQ cannot be meaningfully increased by any intervention.

Just as some populations might have 4 feet average height, others 6+ feet average height. Just as some populations may have extraordinary ability in terms of marathon performance, others in terms of short sprints. There is no reason to presume that intellectual ability would not vary across human populations. Groups like Ashkenazi jews have shown extraordinary ability in terms of intellectual performance, while pygmies have been shown to not only lack in height but also intellect.

“The most common inaccuracy I found, by far, was the claim that intelligence tests are biased against certain groups,”-newscientist

About a century ago, psychologists found that in mental tests designed to measure only domain-specific abilities (such as mathematical ability or memory), people who did well on one kind of test tended to do well on other tests. And those who did poorly, did so across the board. From this overlap, or inter-correlation, it was discovered that there exists a ‘general factor’ which powers (nearly) all mental abilities.

This general factor is called ‘general mental ability,’ ‘general intelligence,’ or simply, intelligence (abbreviated as g). At its core, g can be thought of as ‘brain power’—an individual’s capacity to process information efficiently (personally I think it is a very reductionist view of intelligence or here.)...

IQ is very predictive of ones future success. It has a 70% predictive capacity of future achievements. Over the course of many studies of talented youths. It has been proven that many go on to become community leaders, tenured professors, have patents, PhDs etc. It also makes it less likely that a child will suffer negative effects in life. In a test of eminent scientists, it was found that they were all at least 3–4SDs above the mean...
IQ or g is found to be mostly due to genes which contribute in small amounts leading to a polygenic effect via additivity yet we are yet to understand complex epistasis enough.

-Marcus Boateng Quora answer
www.quora.com...

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15 >>

join