It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

University Study Proves Without A Doubt That Your Phone Is Spying On You

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 12:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: ColdWisdom

But if you do that you can't ask Siri.
Or take selfies.

Then what do you have? A phone?

The microphone can be operated manually by an insert, giggidy. The standard earpod headphones have the mic switch.

Who is Siri?

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 12:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: ColdWisdom

But if you do that you can't ask Siri.
Or take selfies.

Then what do you have? A phone?

The microphone can be operated manually by an insert, giggidy. The standard earpod headphones have the mic switch.

Who is Siri?

Siri was supposed to be the 4th "Charlie's Angel"...

The producers said her delivery sounded "robotic"... hence, 3 "Angels" were ultimately hired.

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Flip phones are in style again and some cost a fortune. Chances are your Silicon Valley folks were using them rather than those clam-shell classics.

I have a Samsung that recently updated the OS. Since then it's persistently nagging me to sign in to use Samsung Services. No problem apart from the T&Cs include it being able to send recordings back to Samsung and my user data. The phone works fine without me giving them all that ownership. Google already takes every last detail and I'm not inclined to let other companies syphon it all away too. Samsung can GTFO.

Appwise? No FB and no Tripadvisor etc. I have Soundcloud, ViewRanger, Netflix, Firefox, Whatsapp, VPN and that's about it.

Good links are this one that shows you which apps have priviliges on android phones. This link takes owners to the landing page where privacy, location history, audio files and more can be found.

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 12:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Flip phones are in style again and some cost a fortune.

My first one got stolen because I left my car unlocked.

I will guard my current one carefully. My "legacy" plan costs me $18/month. I'm hanging on to it!

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 12:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

They were/are cool pieces of kit. I've a draw of old Nokias and samsungs going back to the 90s...no flippers.

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 12:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Hard to get batteries, I suppose.

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 02:00 AM
link   
Definitely true. I was going crazy looking for the hole-saw kit at work the other day, asking everyone if they'd seen it. That afternoon Amazon sends me an ad for hole-saws. Pretty disturbing.

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 06:17 AM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

I feel our political representatives are at fault for not protecting the privacy of it's citizens. Consumers pay for internet, cell phone, cable and satellite service. As consumers, we shouldn't expect for our "paid service" to be interrupted constantly with annoying ads! It seems like corporate America can invade and interrupt our service in the privacy of our own homes without any consequences!

I remember when we only had a minute of commercials on TV. Now we have 5 minutes of commercials!! How many times do internet ads block our view of information we're searching for or reading on the internet? Or the ads that automatically start playing in which we have to sit through and watch!

Think about it. Do retail establishments allow people off the street to solicit inside their businesses? Do they allow outside businesses to post ads in their establishments? Hell no! If they do, they charge a fee for their placement! The way I see it, if corporations want to interrupt my "paid service" in the privacy in my home they should be required to get my approval and pay me a monthly fee for doing so!

I understand advertising influences our economy, but their should be limits and guidelines on how many ads and how intrusive they can be. Consumers continue to be taken advantage of and it's our own fault for not putting pressure on our elected officials to end the intrusiveness of these ads.

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Due to this topic i did some (monitored) googling.

You can actually build one yourself

MAKE YOUR OWN CELLPHONE FROM SCRATCH.

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Why target cell phones?
Is your laptop any better?

Recently, my sweetie did a search for a furniture company....and it went right to the kind of furniture we were discussing.
He had already taped the camera.

Now the microphone is taped over as well.

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 08:52 AM
link   
If I send an email from my private email account and mention certain keywords eg. "3D graphics job", invariably I would get contacted by a recruitment agency who service Apple and Samsung. They would keep sending me job notices for GPU device driver/hardware verification each and every day via Linked-In. I had to block those. Then they proceed to Email me. I take my CV offline to sort that out. Now they try and phone me for exactly the same jobs even though I only do 3D applications development.

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Haven't we all known this for a few years?
I proved this 2 years ago, by leaving my phone next to my tv at night with 'Telemundo' on.
Go figure that I had all my ads pop up in Spanish...

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 11:39 AM
link   
There are a lot of great privacy oriented applications available for smart phones. However that does nothing if the device itself is compromised by spy ware

The best solution is never having a smart phone around when you desire privacy. Put it in the freezer or build a little Faraday cage. I built one using a bird cage to protect against EMP, but make sure the size of your mesh is appropriate for the wavelength you want to interfere with

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 11:42 AM
link   

a reply to: madmac5150

Trouble is, it's hard to find a phone booth anymore.

said Clark Kent to Lois lane

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 02:32 AM
link   
I agree with the people saying to just leave it off altogether; I do that and leave it on airplane mode as much as I can. Tbh I don't think security protocols do much at this point - it seems pretty clear that the AI gathering data for ads is beyond conventional methods and even capable of reading the thoughts you emanate.

It's not as out there as it sounds... I'm sure some of you have noticed that the ads reflect things that you were simply thinking about at times (and just chalked it up to coincidence) and it's slowly getting more prevalent. I had a dream I was playing with my dog not long ago and I got ads the next day about dog food. It even had a dog that looked like mine, a terrier with Border Collie markings (not super common). I would normally say that's impressive reading on the AI's part, except my dog died several years ago.

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 07:59 PM
link   
One can only assume this goes beyond just advertising. Who could resist the power of gaming societies to the point of knowing how the population will react to certain policies?

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 08:03 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

Clearly it is. I mean duh. Just accept complete nudity of existence.

Drop the leaf and let it all hang....

edit on 7 7 2018 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 08:54 PM
link   
There are ways to secure phones and apps - people really don't read the permissions in most cases, they just install and accept whatever pops up. On Android devices you can usually during install, decline access to certain functions (mic, camera etc.). On iPhone you can go into your apps and permissions, and turn off access to mic, camera and so on as well. On Samsung, they have secure folder. Use that to store all your contacts, pictures, videos and so on. Then install your other apps not in the secure folder. They won't have access to your data.

This goes for things like... Windows 10 as well. You can go into privacy settings, and for mic, camera etc.. specify which programs have access.

There is almost always an opt-out option.. they just don't always make it easy for you. You can opt out of most Google stuff.. but sometimes you have to dig deep to find the settings to do so. Data and consumer info is big business. You can prevent most of that access. I also highly recommend TOR as a browser, and duckduckgo as a search engine, both on computers, Android, and iOS.

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 09:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Infasm

The lines are blurring..the tech is now firmly aware of multi dimensions.

And can adjust accordingly..interesting this tech realizing the tech that was there from the beginning.......

It is all in the crystals...........

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 09:14 PM
link   
a reply to: loam

Switching back to a flip-phone.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join