It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump migrant separation policy: Children 'in cages' in Texas

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Nope, actually a few immigration groups criticized Obama for the same but the media and most dems didn't say a word.

Can you confirm that Trump started this policy?

I'm trying to underline hypocrisy here and partisan outrage.
a reply to: howtonhawky

posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 01:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Quetzalcoatl14

originally posted by: underwerks

originally posted by: CriticalStinker
a reply to: underwerks

The more the followers of Trump turn their backs on basic human decency, the faster this country will wash their hands of them.

The more his opposition acts like this is new, the faster this country will whitewash the same thing predecessors have done.

I figured if this was horrible when Obama did it, it would still be horrible now. I guess not.

All we have are excuses. Can’t say I’m really surprised.
Sure, but why did the media and all my liberal friends and colleagues not go crazy when Obama did it?

migration.ucdavis.edu...

It's like how I protested us foreign policy under bush, and then also Obama. Most of my liberal friends, not all, went silent during Obama.

So you base your reaction on what your liberal friends think?

I think we’re getting near the problem.
Um nooooo. Please reread. I stated explicitly that most people seem to only care when the other party is in office, whereas I'm consistent. You obviously didn't read my statement...

So you’re calling out the Trump admin for this, and not blaming it on someone else?

posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Illegal immigration is a problem that will never go away, as long as we continue to support domestic drug laws which turn a lot of the areas south of the border into war zones.

I seriously couldn't agree more. I think that will happen for marijuana, but we have to be realists on everything else.

I've always been a proponent of addressing root problems, it's better for everyone and it's cheaper.

I try and be as empathetic as I can. But just opening up the borders and not detaining those who come here would just make the living conditions in America worse, and who does that help?

That being said, I think we should turn the illegal immigrants away for their own benefit as well as rewarding those who use the system properly.

Immigrants who are undocumented in this country get taken advantage of and have no protection under the law. They don't get minimum wage, safe working conditions, and unfortunately many get sexually assaulted knowing there will be no repercussions.

We saw a story today of an SUV running from authorities which cost five people their lives.

So I'm all for trying to fix root problems... Putting illegal immigrants behind fenced areas during processing is not one of those.

posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 01:29 PM
link   

We shouldn’t use them as political pawns.

And yet, here you are, using them as political pawns. Irony, it's what's for breakfast.

posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Illegal immigration is a problem that will never go away, as long as we continue to support domestic drug laws which turn a lot of the areas south of the border into war zones.

I seriously couldn't agree more. I think that will happen for marijuana, but we have to be realists on everything else.

I've always been a proponent of addressing root problems, it's better for everyone and it's cheaper.

I try and be as empathetic as I can. But just opening up the borders and not detaining those who come here would just make the living conditions in America worse, and who does that help?

That being said, I think we should turn the illegal immigrants away for their own benefit as well as rewarding those who use the system properly.

Immigrants who are undocumented in this country get taken advantage of and have no protection under the law. They don't get minimum wage, safe working conditions, and unfortunately many get sexually assaulted knowing there will be no repercussions.

We saw a story today of an SUV running from authorities which cost five people their lives.

So I'm all for trying to fix root problems... Putting illegal immigrants behind fenced areas during processing is not one of those.

I can agree with that. What I’m trying to figure out is why are we detaining them at all? If the goal is to deport them, then send them back. Why keep them locked up in pens where they are made into a hot button issue?

There’s only one explanation, and it’s because someone in charge is wanting to use them as political capital.

posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 01:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

We shouldn’t use them as political pawns.

And yet, here you are, using them as political pawns. Irony, it's what's for breakfast.

Talking about how they shouldn’t be used as political pawns, isn’t using them as political pawns.

That’s the same kind of bankrupt logic that people use when they claim people are racists for calling out racism.

posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 01:33 PM
link   
a reply to: MetalThunder

Well, there were only a handful participating in that last one, so if at first you don't succeed, try, try again.

Post early and post often.

posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 01:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

What would you do for a better way of life for you and your family? If America's economy crashes and the country is basically run by crooks and drug cartels that murder people without fear of prosecution, would you move your children out? If Canada said no way, would you go illegally?

These are human beings and the children are taken from their parents, not allowed to see their parents, and given no information about their parents. This is as inhumane as it gets and if you support this type of abuse you need to do some real soul searching, imho.

Mexicans are the scapegoat of the moment. When Trump builds his wall and, if it is effective, who do we blame next? Why as an electorate do we keep spinning in circles, being lead around by the nose like so many mindless idiots. If you think America's problems are caused by Mexicans then we are in a hopeless situation.

I'm using the general 'you', not addressing the OP whom I happen to agree with.
edit on 18-6-2018 by TobyFlenderson because: clarification

posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 01:34 PM
link   

I can agree with that. What I’m trying to figure out is why are we detaining them at all? If the goal is to deport them, then send them back. Why keep them locked up in pens where they are made into a hot button issue?

There’s only one explanation, and it’s because someone in charge is wanting to use them as political capital.

That's a loaded statement. We do have to get fingerprints to keep track of repeat offenders after we clearly state what happened if they attempt again.

We also attempt to give them an opportunity to plead their case (should it be asylum or refugee status).

We're overloaded though, and have been.

posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 01:35 PM
link   

This is such BS.

I am so damn sick of democrats saying anyone that wants illegals out of the country is a monster. You all act like you are anarchists on this issue - but at the same time you want the government to have uber strict control over everything else such as free speech, the environment, taxation, and many others.

Do you guys even realize that this is a total ploy to pull on your gullible little heart strings. The reality is this is 100% about getting more democratic votes - period.

So the fact this has been the same policy for like 2 decades does not matter - you are extremely happy to be hypocrites if it means you can scream Trump is the next Hitler.

It's just pathetic.

posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 01:36 PM
link   

The more the followers of Trump turn their backs on basic human decency, the faster this country will wash their hands of them.

The more his opposition acts like this is new, the faster this country will whitewash the same thing predecessors have done.

I figured if this was horrible when Obama did it, it would still be horrible now. I guess not.

Sure, but why did the media and all my liberal friends and colleagues not go crazy when Obama did it?

migration.ucdavis.edu...

It's like how I protested us foreign policy under bush, and then also Obama. Most of my liberal friends, not all, went silent during Obama.

Um nooooo. Please reread. I stated explicitly that most people seem to only care when the other party is in office, whereas I'm consistent. You obviously didn't read my statement...

So you’re calling out the Trump admin for this, and not blaming it on someone else?
I'm totally open to addressing this, I'm just pointing out that the sudden outrage seems partisan, which pollutes effective solutions and bipartisan dialogue.

posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 01:38 PM
link   

If they did turn them back and something happens then everyone would be crying how cruel this administration is for not caring.

Lose lose.

posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 01:42 PM
link   

The same thing was happening under Obama when he held a majority and could have passed anything. Strange how the media conveniently ignores these facts.

Where was the outrage when Obama was in office?

If you need proof Obama could have passed anything just check out the ACA.

link   

originally posted by: Plotus
A lot of difference between a 'cage' and a secured area..... but 'cage' pulls on the heart strings, where-as secured area does not.. MOUTHBOOGIE.

If your child was in there would it be a cage or whatever you think it is?

link   

That's a loaded statement. We do have to get fingerprints to keep track of repeat offenders after we clearly state what happened if they attempt again.

We also attempt to give them an opportunity to plead their case (should it be asylum or refugee status).

We're overloaded though, and have been.

And what’s the point of that if the goal is to just send them back anyway? Is it different for an illegal immigrant if they have fingerprints on file the next time they are caught sneaking in? And how long does that really take?

I understand that there needs to be a way for them to ask for asylum and plead their case, and that’s why changes need to be made to the current policy. Something needs to be done differently. If the families weren’t being separated this wouldn’t be near as big of an issue as it is.

And I think that’s the whole point.

posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 01:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Isurrender73

The same thing was happening under Obama when he held a majority and could have passed anything. Strange how the media conveniently ignores these facts.

Obama NEVER did this, you're lying

posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 01:44 PM
link   

A note about the law and who is responsible. Along with my personal opinion.

The laws don't appear to speak directly to the situation as far as I can tell. So the only way to interpret the law would be as follows.

Once they arrest and detain the parents they are detained in an adult jail. The children would not be able to remain with parents while they are incarcerated.

If there is a US citizen who is family to the child the child would be placed with the family.

If there is no family the child must be detained as well, until the parents are released/deported.

I'm not sure we have the infrastructure to go about this differently.

Trump is right when he said he needs Democratic votes. Trump's administration has put forward immigration reform but they can not pass the reform without partisan support.

The dems are so against the wall that they are refusing to work on reform unless Trump drops the wall requirement. The wall was part of his platform I don't see why he should concede, sense it is the will of the people that Trump is President.

With that being said, it would be nice to see some sort of executive order put in place to temporarily fix this situation. Something that would last until after the 2018 elections. If they are men of faith. God prefers those who take action over those who point fingers, and so do Americans.

You can't MAGA without fixing this situation.

posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 01:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell

The first published pictures where from the Obama administration. The laws have not changed.

Deny Ignorance? Reality check?

I understand bias but this is ridiculous.

posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 01:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell

So immigration problems started when Trump came into office?

Edit: the pictures of kids in cages is literally from years ago while Obama was in office.

We've seen hundreds of thousands of illegal immigrants try and come across our borders each year, this problem has been one for decades.
edit on 18-6-2018 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 01:48 PM
link   

migration.ucdavis.edu...

I'm totally open to addressing this, I'm just pointing out that the sudden outrage seems partisan, which pollutes effective solutions and bipartisan dialogue.

Calling out the government for things like this isn’t partisan. It should be common sense.

If you are serious about effective solutions and bipartisan dialogue then don’t let the “other” side dictate how you react to bad things Trump does. If you’re being truly nonpartisan you shouldn’t have a problem calling out Trump without referencing Obama.

Bad is bad, regardless of who does it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join