It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Revealed: Google Banning Adwords Like 'Gun Grips, Scopes AND Sights'

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2018 @ 04:13 PM
link   
a reply to: howtonhawky

Exactly. With TV use dropping and what's left being streamed with no commercials, the internet IS the only spot to advertise now.

They run the gd internet for all intents and purposes. Even if 3 of us don't like it and someone says "oh it's a free country, you can go somewhere else if you like" no one's there, but you are allowed to go there.

Anitrust these scumbags, and take the business destroying Amazon with em'.

posted on Jun, 11 2018 @ 04:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS
a reply to: projectvxn

Can't break them up. They're hard wired into the Government Intel agencies.

Exactly, if they weren't actually started by them, with our missing tax dollars.

"Alphabet"

Lol...right in the open

posted on Jun, 11 2018 @ 04:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: howtonhawky
that's right

we need to understand the factors here

Well, I only comment facts, can you show me supporting evidence for that 90% comment?

google has the market cornered on googling

Because people are lazy and ignorant. When Google appeared, my favourite search engine was Altavista. It had many good features that Google never implemented, like the "near" operator, that allowed us to search one word or expression near (I don't remember what was the limit, but it was, for example, a maximum of 10 words in between the two search expressions) the other, so you wouldn't get a page with the first expression on an article at the top of the page and the second on an unrelated article at the bottom of the page.

Google got famous because it appeared to show more results (it still does that), so when people see 1,000,000 results instead of 500,000 results they prefer the one that shows more, without noticing that, in fact, those results are fake. For example, if you search armap ats you will get a page that tells you Google found "About 7,270 results". Jump to page 10 and it says "Page 10 of about 7,260 results". Things get much worse if you jump to page 14, as it says "Page 14 of about 133 results", and you can see that the search results end there.

What happened to the 7,270 results? Are they counting repeated hits on all pages? Are they just making numbers up? I don't know, I only know that they are lying.

Also, Google works (or at least that's how it worked when it appeared) by sorting pages by popularity, so pages with more links appear closer to the top, regardless of relevance or number of hits, so Google promotes (or promoted) the most popular pages, making them even more popular and their owners happier.

As someone that has made a specific search engine (a simple one, without the "near" operator, but also without lying), I prefer a search engine that gives me real answers.

posted on Jun, 11 2018 @ 04:18 PM
link   

That's more gun culture.

But what I am getting at is when you are standing at a bus stop or at a street light and you see an ad for say a shot gun or a revolver beside an ad for diapers, is that really needed?
Or if you are look to buy a gun and do a lot of research, do you want your browser to be filled with gun ads? What if it's a family computer and you as a parent don't want your kids or teens to be shown that sort of advertisement. It's like alcohol and cigarettes.

posted on Jun, 11 2018 @ 04:22 PM
link   

a reply to: strongfp

what about guns and roses?

what about toy guns?

what about the 1st.?

What about it? Can't you search for those expressions? I just did and got many results.

posted on Jun, 11 2018 @ 04:23 PM
link   
a reply to: WarPig1939
Agree. Vote with your feet. That is the American way.

posted on Jun, 11 2018 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Type in "guns" on Google right now and see how many results you get. Who cares about ads? They're manipulation tools anyways. I wonder how many members here who are complaining about this run adblock?
edit on 6/11/2018 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: Autocorrect

posted on Jun, 11 2018 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Google has an ad business.

Google can accept whatever ad business it wants; it is not a public accomodation.

That said, refusing revenue seems counter-productive in the case of a for-profit business.

posted on Jun, 11 2018 @ 04:27 PM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

Wow...........that's an eye catcher!

"But what I am getting at is when you are standing at a bus stop or at a street light and you see an ad for say a shot gun or a revolver beside an ad for diapers, is that really needed? "

What possible damned difference would that make? You think people are going to see that and think, "Gee Whiz, I'll go buy that gun and shoot babies? Really? or Baby Diapers?

"Or if you are look to buy a gun and do a lot of research, do you want your browser to be filled with gun ads? What if it's a family computer and you as a parent don't want your kids or teens to be shown that sort of advertisement. It's like alcohol and cigarettes. "

WHAT? So gun ads are as toxic as alcohol and cigarette ads? Oh, yea, but Marijuana should be legalized!
Where I live........guns are "tools" or sporting equipment; they have nothing to do with cigarettes and alcohol.

Is it the water in Canada?

posted on Jun, 11 2018 @ 04:30 PM
link   

so in order for me to have the term gun show up in shopping search results i must create a larger internet platform than google

or quite being a big baby and go to one of the other 9 on this list

www.reliablesoft.net...

cant use google to see muh gunz

yahoo
duck duck
bing
wolfram

edit on 11-6-2018 by TinySickTears because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2018 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Get in to 3d printing and CNC machining while you can.

Good luck with google banning 'How to make' 3d printers, and cnc machines.

Guess they learned nothing from p2p sharing.

You can't stop the signal.

posted on Jun, 11 2018 @ 04:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

so in order for me to have the term gun show up in shopping search results i must create a larger internet platform than google

or quite being a big baby and go to one of the other 9 on this list

www.reliablesoft.net...

cant use google to see muh gunz

yahoo
duck duck
bing
wolfram

thats good stuff there and really highlights the main problem here

most have no clue that google runs the show and they run yahoo and the rest on your list that matter

posted on Jun, 11 2018 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Does anyone believe that a monopoly could restrict ones rights?

You all seem to be ignoring the fact that google is powerful beyond all others

posted on Jun, 11 2018 @ 04:36 PM
link   
That’s their right as a company. They shouldn’t have to bake a cake either.

posted on Jun, 11 2018 @ 04:37 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

My first post explains why I think gun ads should be almost regulated... and you are a perfect example of why people need to not see an ad for a gun, acting off emotion because you think I am now anti gun or something? Or that people want to shoot babies?

I am not sure what you are trying to get across to me.

posted on Jun, 11 2018 @ 04:38 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Just out of curiosity, isn't OP's big complaint that Google is denying some ads?

The problem being, thereby, that gun and accessory merchants are being discriminated against?

How is printing one's own weaponry going to help with ad revenues or gun sales again?

link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
It's really annoying to see so much faux outrage over meaningless stuff.

Do you know what's more interesting? The fact that Google has had that policy at least since 2014, according to the results from the Wayback Machine.

link   

originally posted by: Starhooker
That’s their right as a company. They shouldn’t have to bake a cake either.

So they could ban the word gay and no one would care

google's gonna bad dildos and no one will care.........yea right

posted on Jun, 11 2018 @ 04:40 PM
link   
In this day and age, with all that they have come out with...
I have to ask one question?

Who uses Google anymore?

They store your personal date for 2 years, including IP addresses and cookie/search history. They collude with any entity to willingly hand that information over as well. Your data is not safe.

Yet people still use them?

There is your answer.

posted on Jun, 11 2018 @ 04:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: ArMaP

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
It's really annoying to see so much faux outrage over meaningless stuff.

Do you know what's more interesting? The fact that Google has had that policy at least since 2014, according to the results from the Wayback Machine.

i seen such in 2010 is when they began to tighten down on terms

the difference here is they extended toe bans to include things like tripods...

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join