It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iowa set to ban abortions after six weeks

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 10:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

There are exceptions in the bill for rape, incest and the mothers health.

To me, those exceptions undermine the moral precedent of this entire bill. Are the products of rape and incest less than human?

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 10:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Bone75

I think that has mote to do with the mental health of the mother.

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 10:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bone75

To me, those exceptions undermine the moral precedent of this entire bill. Are the products of rape and incest less than human?

You want women to have kids that were a result of the worst experience in their lives? Violated in ways a man can't imagine? Adding to the trauma that they had?

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 10:39 AM
link   

is it just the rape exception you have an issue with? or do you think it's perfectly fine to have women suffer permanent health problems because of pregnancy or it's okay for force children to have children because some man couldn't keep their hands off them?

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 10:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

You want women to have kids that were a result of the worst experience in their lives? Violated in ways a man can't imagine? Adding to the trauma that they had?

How can I point to one fetus and say "you should have rights because you are a developing human being without a voice", then point to another fetus and say "you shouldn't have rights because your mother was raped" ???

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

I know a girl that was raped and she had the baby.
She says her son is what let her recover from the trauma.
But I'm sure many women would not feel the same.

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 10:42 AM
link   
This is what Republicans do.....

"We don't want regulation.... unless it's against an individual."

"We don't want anyone to have an abortion, because abortion is MURDER! ....... But keep sending people overseas to die, that's perfectly fine."

"You need to control yourselves and be responsible and take Birth Control! ...... But if it fails, don't count that. Abortions are done by people just deciding not to have children after getting pregnant. We have absolutely no data to back this up, but if we mention Jesus a few times to our voters, we'll get the support we need. You're still a horrible, sinning parent. Birth Control never fails.... because it goes against our talking points."

"You need to stop cramming your Social Justice in everyone's face and stop trying to push your liberal views! In order to counter that, we're going to pass laws based heavily in Religion, because we're stupid hypocrites and don't think before we speak!"

"You need to stop having kids! But no Abortions! and we don't want to pay for medicaid and food stamps! Even though we are forcing you to have kids you can't afford! Because you're irresponsible! Even though you used Birth control and it failed! Because you aren't Abstinent! Because you are denied your rights to pursuit of happiness, as well as denied the ability to be a human being, because it's beneath us a devout christians! Because there's some unwritten contract and level of consent that goes with having sex, that implies that you give consent to have a child, even though you are on some sort of contraceptive which doesn't even make sense that you would give consent to something while actively trying to avoid the one thing you are supposedly "consenting" to in our eyes, but we just make $h*t up as we go! And we're going to complain and grandstand about everything because at the end of the day, we're no better than the democrats! We just go full retard on different issues!"

Like...... Seriously, you can't make this crap up.

A lot of people may have pegged me as a Republican based on the majoirty of my comments, but i'm not (obviously). Both sides of the political spectrum are stupid with a capital "Derp".

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 10:50 AM
link   

How can I point to one fetus and say "you should have rights because you are a developing human being without a voice", then point to another fetus and say "you shouldn't have rights because your mother was raped" ???

And yet you can point at a woman and say “you have no right to bodily autonomy and self determination” because she’s an incubator for 9 months

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 10:52 AM
link   

It's pretty easy when you have empathy.

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 10:52 AM
link   

That's why absolutes don't work.

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 10:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

With those exceptions in place, anti-abortionists such as myself don't have a leg to stand on.

It's either murder or it isn't.

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 10:58 AM
link   

With those exceptions in place, anti-abortionists such as myself don't have a leg to stand on.

It's either murder or it isn't.

You could always widen your understanding of things instead of being so rigid in your beliefs.

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 10:59 AM
link   
a reply to: dothedew

Well you seriously did just make that crap up.

No Republican or anyone else has said they don;t want regulation. The debate is over how much regulation.

Abortion and deaths resulting from war are not the same. Most people I know, right or left, are against war anyway.

I know of no one who says birth control never fails.

I fail to see how pushing social justice goals to create law, which has great merits by the way (just not when it reaches the level of transgender bathrooms), is in any way different to pushing morals driven by religion to create law. Most of the time one does not counter the other and indeed republicans push for social justice too - like the end of slavery for example.

I really don't know of anyone saying we should stop having kids. I do know people who say having children should be well considered and planned, which makes perfect sense except to morally bankrupt people who can't take responsibility for their own actions.

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 10:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: eNumbra

And yet you can point at a woman and say “you have no right to bodily autonomy and self determination” because she’s an incubator for 9 months

At the same time a man is held financially responsible after the baby is born but get no say in the abortion process.

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 11:02 AM
link   

At the same time a man is held financially responsible after the baby is born but get no say in the abortion process.

Which is lamentable, but at the end of the day who’s carrying the kid to term?

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Thus the saying, "Don't be silly. Wrap your Willie." A man doesn't want kids? He can take action to prevent it PRIOR to having sex.

ETA: I have 3 kids with one woman. My youngest brother has 3 with 3 different women. He didn't protect himself and paid through the nose for his kids.
edit on 4-5-2018 by intrepid because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 11:07 AM
link   

You could always widen your understanding of things instead of being so rigid in your beliefs.

I'd rather remain consistent thank you very much.

edit on 4-5-2018 by Bone75 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 11:09 AM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Sounds like the girls didn't protect themselves eithet.

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 11:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Good for her, but generally I don't think it's a good idea to try to cure your mental issues by having a child. Also, raising the baby of the man who raped you seems like a really cuck thing to do, if that term can be applied to women, ha. Basically you'd be rewarding him for his effort. Just sort of, philosophically speaking. But I can understand why someone might wish to keep it.

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Why? The world doesn't rigidly adhere to your beliefs. Flexibility is required. You can wish all day that unexpected pregnancies don't happen or that women don't get abortions, but that will never be achieved in reality. All you end up doing is making things unnecessarily difficult for a subset of people because you don't want want to move away from an absolute belief. In reality these things happen and we have to come up with ways to deal with them. This is why pro-choice doesn't necessarily mean pro-abortion. You can be for a woman's right to choose but not be for getting an abortion if you were placed in a situation where an abortion was an option.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join