It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flat-earthers rejoice for your pain and insanity is over for 250k

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2018 @ 01:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Thanks for being pedantic.
These experiments are done without realizing the moisture in the atmosphere bends light. Good try though

posted on Apr, 6 2018 @ 01:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Toolman18
a reply to: Timely

No you can't see earth's curvature from ground level.

There certainly are observations that can be made at ground level that provide evidence of a spherical Earth.

The city of Toronoto is across Lake Ontario from parts of New York State, but should be too far away to be seen (because it is 40 miles away in places, while a 6-foot tall person can only see a little more than 3 miles to the horizon). However, the tops of the buildings can be seen from 40 miles across the lake, because they are tall enough to strecth over the horizon...

...And when the skyline above the horizon is analyzed, we can see the exact right amount we would expect to be able to see from 40 miles away if the Earth were an 8000 mile diameter sphere.

Source:
flatearthinsanity.blogspot.com...

edit on 6/4/2018 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2018 @ 01:20 PM
link   
The only reason this topic is on my mind is I thought it was stupid and went about to debunk it. But I couldn't. Forget what you are told and investigate for yourself to find answers.

posted on Apr, 6 2018 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Toolman18

No, it hasn't. I already gave you absolute proof of a globe Earth, FE has no explanation for Sydney to Santiago. So far the only explanation I heard was "magic winds" basically. So rather than ignore evidence, you can stick to my proof that leaves no wriggle room, it's an impossibility on a FE. Sydney to Santiago .. FE is dead.

posted on Apr, 6 2018 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

Very similar to the pic I used to use, I had them side by side.

posted on Apr, 6 2018 @ 01:30 PM
link   
i neither know for certain, or care, whether the earth is flat, round, toroidal, 'oblate' or whatever. i am consistently puzzled, though, at the absolute venom and ire expressed by confirmed 'globists' toward any who don't share their convictions. i mean 'flat earthers' REALLY get their goat. it triggers them all the time, every time, and always leads rapidly to insults and attempted ridicule. and the 'globists' are far and away the majority who are guilty of such vitriol in the globe/flat 'debate'. it sure touches a nerve with them. thin-skinned i guess.

posted on Apr, 6 2018 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: RoScoLaz5

Probably because saying the Earth is flat is like arguing 2+2 = 99

You have to be really ignorant, the willful kind of ignorant, to make that argument.

A lot of people have difficulty handling that level of pure stupidity and ignorance wrapped up together.
edit on 6-4-2018 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2018 @ 01:36 PM
link   

These experiments are done without realizing the moisture in the atmosphere bends light. Good try though

The amount of bending of light that is experienced by the minimal distance you separate those two objects is so minimal that it might as well not exist to your perceptions. Also, don't cherry pick science you agree with just because you don't want to believe the Earth is round. If you don't believe the Earth is round because you are pretending like you can't witness it, it is even sillier to start talking about light being bent by the air being that that is even less noticeable to you than the curvature of the Earth. By your reasoning you shouldn't believe that is the case either.
edit on 6-4-2018 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2018 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Constelations would react similar in a flat plane. Gravity is s fine theory until you really study it. Gravity contradicts itself. Being able to see further at altitude is just perspective easily shown in experiments.

Okay....but you still didn't tell me why gravity is measured to be pulling straight down no matter where on the flat Earth it is measured. For example, the direction of gravity can be measured by something as simple as a pendulum.

It seems to me that if I were in the center of the flat disk, I would have a different ratio of Earth's mass all around me than I would if I were closer to the edge of the disk. There would be much more of Earth's mass in the direction from me to the center of the disk than there would be from me to the edge of the disk So I assume that the formulas for measuring gravity on a flat earth would explain why there is no measurable difference -- e.g., why is a pendulum always pointing straight down? If so, please explain these formulas.

By the way, while you say "gravity contradicts itself", you may be talking about explanations for gravity. It is true that the reasons that there is gravity is not completely understood. But that's not what I'm talking about; I'm talking about the formulas we use for measuring gravity (on a macro level), and have been using for a few hundred years. Those formulas work fine, and are not contradictory.

posted on Apr, 6 2018 @ 01:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Soylent Green Is People

By the way, while you say "gravity contradicts itself", you may be talking about explanations for gravity. It is true that the reasons that there is gravity is not completely understood. But that's not what I'm talking about; I'm talking about the formulas we use for measuring gravity (on a macro level), and have been using for a few hundred years. Those formulas work fine, and are not contradictory.

Heck, it is literally the F=MA equation that defines ALL force in the universe with the gravity constant (for earth) supplied for the A variable, and if you aren't using the gravity constant then you sub in a formula that FINDS the gravity constant for whatever body of mass you are calculating gravity for.
edit on 6-4-2018 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2018 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Light can be scattered and the shadow would remain the same. Light gets scattered and then refracted and reflected. You don't see dark blank areas where the sun doesn't shine in arid and moist places as if to say light gets scattered and by moisture and becomes invisible.

Light scattering won't affect the length of the shadow, because light is volumetric.

Light scattering effect is the blue sky, because blue light scatter more than red light, but the shadow cast by object will not be affected.

Or better example of scattered light is a rainbow. People near a rainbow still cast a shadow.

Or find a sail boat and sail towards the edge of the flat disc shaped Earth and live stream it...
edit on 6-4-2018 by odzeandennz because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2018 @ 01:52 PM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

Elevation changes length though and unless they were way more advanced then otherwise known, this couldn't be measured accurately.

posted on Apr, 6 2018 @ 02:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Toolman18

Sydney to Santiago, you and your FE are done. I am still awaiting your explanation.

posted on Apr, 6 2018 @ 02:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: RoScoLaz5
i neither know for certain, or care, whether the earth is flat, round, toroidal, 'oblate' or whatever. i am consistently puzzled, though, at the absolute venom and ire expressed by confirmed 'globists' toward any who don't share their convictions. i mean 'flat earthers' REALLY get their goat. it triggers them all the time, every time, and always leads rapidly to insults and attempted ridicule. and the 'globists' are far and away the majority who are guilty of such vitriol in the globe/flat 'debate'. it sure touches a nerve with them. thin-skinned i guess.

because it depresses me to know I live in such a sad place as with people who cannot use their critical thinking skills.

These people take cherry pick observations and come up with ad hoc explanations -- explanations that cannot work for all observations (the definition of ad hoc). This lack of critical thinking skills is dangerous. Sure -- it doesn't matter if they believe the Earth is flat, but FE-thinking is just a symptom of the much larger issue, which is the lack of critical thought and lack of knowledge.

For example, that lack of critical thought and basic knowledge, and the ad hoc mentality of coming up with an explanation for one thing, but failing to understand that the explanation does not work when looking at the big picture is what started the anti-vaxxer movement. Anti vaxxers have not put any critical thought or real investigation of all of the facts (i.e., not looking at the evidence as a whole) into their movement -- they simply read or hear something on the internet and believe it blindly. This puts their children at greater risk for death than any risk they might perceive from the vaccine itself.

That's just one example. It just makes me sad that there are more people than I first thought in this world who cannot use critical thinking skills, and I think the world is a more dangerous place because of it. Try going on the reddit sub "insanepeoplefacebook" to see how the people in this world who lack basic criticla though t and logic skills are making the world more dangerous.

posted on Apr, 6 2018 @ 02:07 PM
link   

FE people don't care about actual facts or science. It's why I avoid it and stick with Sydney to Santiago. There is nothing they can wriggle from.

posted on Apr, 6 2018 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Try going on the reddit sub "insanepeoplefacebook" to see how the people in this world who lack basic criticla though t and logic skills are making the world more dangerous.

OMG! I just browsed over to it. That's my new favorite subreddit. Right behind #tyaskscience (At least that one you know people are intentionally being dumb).

posted on Apr, 6 2018 @ 02:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

FE people don't care about actual facts or science. It's why I avoid it and stick with Sydney to Santiago. There is nothing they can wriggle from.

I just want them to think critically -- find an explanation that logically satisfies every observation they can make, and satisfies past knowledge that had been vetted over the years by past observations.

Someone will give you an ad-hoc explanation that satisfies Sydney to Santiago, but ignore that fact that their explanation fails to satisfy every other observation.

posted on Apr, 6 2018 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Oh they have. One person told me there are tailwinds going both ways that add 500mph to the airplane.

People have to want to think critically, unfortunately it's not a trait you can instill on them.

posted on Apr, 6 2018 @ 02:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

Oh they have. One person told me there are tailwinds going both ways that add 500mph to the airplane.

People have to want to think critically, unfortunately it's not a trait you can instill on them.

Right. So to answer RoScoLaz5's questions as to why I care if someone thinks the earth is flat...

The fact that they think the Earth is flat is not the problem -- however, it IS a symptom of a larger problem. That larger problem is that the reason why they think the Earth is flat is because they lack critical thinking skills, and if there are so many people in the world who lack these skills, I fear for the world.

If I can convince someone to take a step back from the closed-minded tunnel vision they used to determine that the Earth is flat, and instead approach it from an open minded direction that considers ALL of the observations one can make, and puts a logical explanation forward using that critical thought, then maybe I made a difference, no matter how small.

posted on Apr, 6 2018 @ 04:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sublimecraft
OK - I've got a good one:

"The only thing flat-earthers fear, is sphere itself"

Brilliant.

I prefer to call flat Earth believers "Flatheads."

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join