It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flat-earthers rejoice for your pain and insanity is over for 250k

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2018 @ 04:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Toolman18
No one here gave any real evidence of globe earth. Do you think insults will change minds? Prove earth is a sphere. With hard evidence. Not pictures or videos but real time evidence that shows that physically our earth is a sphere. Not math based on theories. Real hard facts.

Nor math based on proven and repeateble studies and applied mathematics like satellite trajectories, exit velocity, gravity, planetary rotation, radar based mapping of the surface...

Sorry man. Flat Earth theory is sham, very patently a sham.

What i dont get is that a lot of flat earth believers demand "hard facts" to prove the earth is a sphere, which there are copious amounts of, yet they ignore all of these facts, and they believe fully that Earth is flat without, ironically, any hard facts.

edit on 462018 by CreationBro because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2018 @ 09:53 AM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

Not that it would not be nice to undertake such a fantastic journey.

Sad though that only the select privileged few will be able to afford such luxury.

posted on Apr, 8 2018 @ 08:16 AM
link   

You know, I have actually seen the curve of the earth on transatlantic flights when the airlines flew extra high to avoid bad weather. Its there, you can see it. Even on the beach on a flat calm day, if you really look hard, you can see the curvature on the ocean. I don't know how anyone in 2018 could think the Earth is flat.

posted on Apr, 8 2018 @ 08:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman
The Windows you look out of in the space craft are domed, concaved, convexed, whatever causing the earth to look round, havnt you read the science texts

For mine, if they want to believe in a flat earth, it doesn't case me any concern

I appreciate your attitude, Raggedy. Those that must incessantly ridicule flat earthers remind of of a little guy driving a big truck mentality. They are in desperate search to find something that can make them feel like big shots, someone they can ridicule, because they are lacking somewhere.

posted on Apr, 8 2018 @ 08:44 AM
link   
a reply to: oldcarpy

They'll claim aliens don't exist next.

posted on Apr, 8 2018 @ 08:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: pointessa

The Windows you look out of in the space craft are domed, concaved, convexed, whatever causing the earth to look round, havnt you read the science texts

For mine, if they want to believe in a flat earth, it doesn't case me any concern

I appreciate your attitude, Raggedy. Those that must incessantly ridicule flat earthers remind of of a little guy driving a big truck mentality. They are in desperate search to find something that can make them feel like big shots, someone they can ridicule, because they are lacking somewhere.

Yeah there is definetly a bit of that but outside of a strange unorthodox belief, I can't see how it harms anyone if people think the earth is flat.
Doesn't seem to justify all the anger and arrogance

posted on Apr, 8 2018 @ 08:51 AM
link   
why not just get a laser level...set it up to be properly horizontal on the coast then travel a few hundred miles away over the water and see how high the beam is?

Simple maths should then prove that you are on a ball rather than a disc.

dizzib.github.io...

posted on Apr, 8 2018 @ 01:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: booyakasha
it wont be a true space flight. It is most likely a very realistic simulation that tricks people into thinking they are flying around the world...

I'd imagine we'd hear something like this from those idiots.

LOL and you know what? They will have actual technology that exist that they will use to justify their outlandish claims. For example, the Star Tours ride at Disney Land. It doesn't move in any direction it just rocks backs and forth while the visuals give you the illusion of actually flying through space by tricking your senses.

I can't wait until they try to use that excuse, but more interested to see how they try to explain them faking zero gravity. They will probably use the parabolic excuse even though it would be complete BS.

posted on Apr, 8 2018 @ 01:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: openminded2011

You know, I have actually seen the curve of the earth on transatlantic flights when the airlines flew extra high to avoid bad weather. Its there, you can see it. Even on the beach on a flat calm day, if you really look hard, you can see the curvature on the ocean. I don't know how anyone in 2018 could think the Earth is flat.

People are crazy. Sad part is you can't convince crazy. That's why they are labeled crazy.

posted on Apr, 8 2018 @ 01:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: pointessa

Yeah there is definetly a bit of that but outside of a strange unorthodox belief, I can't see how it harms anyone if people think the earth is flat.
Doesn't seem to justify all the anger and arrogance

Anger, not so much.

But profound ignorance is an annoyance. Willfull ignorance even more so. Let's leave a utter lack of critical thinking skills out of it.

Arrogance? Yes. "All you round earthers are so stupid that you just accept everything the government tells you! Just look! You can see the world is flat but because the government tells you it's round, you believe it!"

edit on 4/8/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2018 @ 01:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

Not so much anger and arrogance, but rather shock and dismay.

Too many people, especially younger ones are displaying a lack of critical thinking and it should be alarming to people.

What is next? Electricity isn't real?

STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) is some of the most important skill sets people can have. Modern day life is much easier for most and better because of those who were able to not only learn in the STEAM fields, but to develop it even further.

Having people thinking the world is flat is taking huge steps BACKWARDS. Brainwashing people into believing it, means having to no longer believe or understand how things work in other fields of science.

That's not the human race progress forwards. It's falling backwards and if it were to persist, we'd be in a world filled with morons.

It's a scary thought.

posted on Apr, 8 2018 @ 01:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: eriktheawful

Not so much anger and arrogance, but rather shock and dismay.

Too many people, especially younger ones are displaying a lack of critical thinking and it should be alarming to people.

What is next? Electricity isn't real?

STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) is some of the most important skill sets people can have. Modern day life is much easier for most and better because of those who were able to not only learn in the STEAM fields, but to develop it even further.

Having people thinking the world is flat is taking huge steps BACKWARDS. Brainwashing people into believing it, means having to no longer believe or understand how things work in other fields of science.

That's not the human race progress forwards. It's falling backwards and if it were to persist, we'd be in a world filled with morons.

It's a scary thought.

Wait I thought the world was already filled with morons. I mean there has to be a reason why celebrities are who they are and why the media is the way that it is. Because the majority of people have nothing better to do than idolize people they don't know and believe things they see and hear in the media. Peoples days are ruined when they find out bad news about their idol. That's pretty moronic to me, but that's just my opinion.

posted on Apr, 8 2018 @ 05:12 PM
link   
a reply to: oldcarpy

Nah they'll stick with flat earth...

It's not like it's anything approaching difficult to figure out that the earth is round as it is.

Keep in mind also that a pretty stunningly massive percentage of the videos out there purporting to prove flat earth inadvertently show very clear proofs of the round earth.

posted on Apr, 8 2018 @ 05:39 PM
link   
So now the globe is an oblong sphere. Why are NASA pics perfectly round?

posted on Apr, 8 2018 @ 08:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

No not that arrogance Phage, the type of arrogance of a fundamental Christian
The "I am smart and know everything and you should just damn well believe"
The arrogance where stupid explanations should be accepted reality

And anger, but of course not silly me, I said anger and you said "not so much" and of course you are right, what right is my opinion to see and note anger, you have every right to tell me I am wrong and I have every right to dismiss you as an arrogant fool

I dismiss arrogant fools, be they right or wrong, they don't care about anyone but themselves, like the government, they can't be trusted

posted on Apr, 8 2018 @ 08:40 PM
link   
a reply to: MingBisho

Because you can't see the bulge with the naked eye. There's a difference of something like 70,000 feet between the pole and equator. That's not enough to see just by looking at pictures.
edit on 4/8/2018 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2018 @ 08:48 PM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

I don't think the handful of people who say they believe in a flat earth is a threat
This internet generation is so scared of everything
A small group gets media attention and people react like it could be a zombie take over

Yes I see a lot of anger about flat earthers, they exist, Elon still got his car in space and flat earthers still exist, there beliefs have changed little to nothing
If they threaten you,,if you think they will overthrow the STEAM generation then I think you have the problem

The funny thing is, if a flat earth is flat out wrong, attacking people who believe in the flat earth is only going to cement their position, their view, because they will hate you and what you say and for what you stand for, right or wrong

posted on Apr, 8 2018 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Actually, it's more than a "handful of Youtubers".

There was an article in the news a few days ago I believe that was talking about what seems to be a significant amount of millennials that either believe in FE or doubt the Earth is round.

You'd be surprised at the amount of people that will take the bait and swallow the hook, line and sinker.

Think about all the hoaxes about things that get passed around on social media, and the amount of people that eat it up (making it even worse by doing things like copy/sharing it on their walls on Facebook).

I've seen it myself: Mars will be so close to Earth this month it will be the same size as the Moon!!!!

The stars of Orion's belt will line up in the sky perfectly over the pyramids in Egypt!!!!

You'd be surprised how each year crap like that gets passed around, and unfortunately a lot of people eat it up.

Nancy Lieder with her Pole Shifting crap had people hoodwinked as far back as 1993 with her crap....even urging people to kill their pets.

The ignorance is appalling. I could go to Facebook right now and tell people that the next full Moon will be a Blue Moon and they should run out to look at it......and they'll eat it up....all because they are completely ignorant of what the term "Blue Moon" actually means (hint for any reading this posts that don't - it has nothing to do with the color blue).

For my part it really isn't anger or arrogance. It's dismay and sadness at how little people are willing to learn about things, or actually sit down and do research, but instead take everything at face value.

Face value - like thinking the world is flat because of the few seconds they look out at the horizon.

posted on Apr, 8 2018 @ 09:56 PM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

Erik, it's a third by the way....

That's the percentage of the people surveyed who aren't sure the earth is round. It breaks down to "only" 14% or something who are outright flat earthers, but that is a frighteningly large number even if a full 50% of that 14% were just screwing with the surveyor.

Also, the problem with flat earth is everything else that belief system is packaged with which is a dangerous cocktail of beliefs suspicions and hostilities that are just almost begging for exploitation by the unscrupulous and ambitious.

posted on Apr, 8 2018 @ 10:06 PM
link   
a reply to: MingBisho

Even in the Himawari 8 11,000x11,000 pixel images you're still only talking between something like .8 and 3 pixels off in any given area from "perfectly round".

Yes the earth is technically an oblate spheroid, but it's also really damn big and human eyes are also exceptionally poor at identifying even much larger deviations from "true" without measuring devices.

Also, science is about precision and accuracy. Be that precision and accuracy in measurements or even the language used to describe a thing or phenomena. When Neal DeGrasse Tyson called it an oblate spheroid he did so because that's what it actually is, not because he was trying to walk back the earth is round claim. For all intents and purposes earth is a ball just like I don't have to use calipers that measure to the thousandths to cut wood for a dog house.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join